PDA

View Full Version : Monster-san

Shanty Man
2009-05-19, 03:11 PM
What dose "san" mean?

Snake-Aes
2009-05-19, 03:13 PM
Japanese has a few rules in naming etiquette, and "San" is a suffix denoting respect towards an equal.

Trebuchet
2009-05-19, 03:15 PM
I am sure someone who speaks Japanese can answer this better, but I'll give it a try.

"-san" is a suffix added to a name or title. It doesn't have an exact translation in English, but it is a mark of respect, and can be thought of as meaning "honorable" or "Mr." It applies to both genders.

Timberboar
2009-05-19, 03:17 PM
Not to be confused with -chan or -sensei.

Rotipher
2009-05-19, 03:32 PM
Basically, O-chul is calling the MitD "Mr. Monster". (Which is fair enough, as the MitD calls him Mr. Stiffly. :smallwink:)

Keris
2009-05-19, 03:36 PM
"-san" is a suffix added to a name or title. It doesn't have an exact translation in English, but it is a mark of respect, and can be thought of as meaning "honorable" or "Mr." It applies to both genders.
"Honourable" is perhaps a little strong, "-san" is kind of a general purpose suffix, "-sama" being an expression of reverence. "-san" is often translated as Mr or Mrs, but is used much more commonly than either of those in English, as the absence of an honorific is considered to be indicative of a very close relationship.

Not to be confused with -chan or -sensei.

-chan being an expression of endearment derived from a childish pronunciation of "-san" and -sensei is used to refer to teachers and authority figures, literally meaning "one who lived before". Sensei can be used by itself, usually translating as "Teacher".

Dogmantra
2009-05-19, 03:36 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe -san is reserved for equals, and something sounding like (and possibly being) -kun is for lessers.

So we know that O-Chul has always respected the MitD

ref
2009-05-19, 03:58 PM
Well, -kun is a bit informal. Young (male) friends are probably going to refer each other with -kun because it may be too much to go "Mr. whatever". There are many of those honorifics, like "-sempai" for instance, which means "coworker who's been working there more time than myself".

Yeah, Japanese are weird like that.
:miko: What's this Japan you're talking about?

David Argall
2009-05-19, 04:03 PM
It means the writer is trying to give the scene a little "foreign" color.

shadzar
2009-05-19, 04:56 PM
-kun & -chan are for lessers of youngers as it were, and for people dating and being less formal. kun = male, chan = female

Onee-chan, Onii-chan are sister and brother respectively.

-Senpai is a teacher or higher grade student or co-worker

-sensai is a teacher/master that is given respect and formal like a school teacher

-san is someone you want to give respect to in a bit of formal manner. Obaa-san would be granny/grandmother with respect, or disrespect if someone just says it to mean old lady. So also used for elders with no title.

Most of these are just honorifics like Mr., Mrs., Ms, Dr, Professor, etc.

Doubtful you would see the others in OOTS, but -san is just a sign of respect O'Chul is showing to :mitd: since they are/were in similar conditions being held captive by Xykon and team evil.

Linkavitch
2009-05-19, 05:05 PM
I am sure someone who speaks Japanese can answer this better, but I'll give it a try.

I think it's a suffix meaning 'student' or something similar. But I could be wrong. A friend of mine was born in Japan and lived there for a good portion of his life. (Military Kid. He's American, but he can read and speak Japanese.)

Shpadoinkle
2009-05-19, 05:36 PM
I think it's a suffix meaning 'student' or something similar. But I could be wrong. A friend of mine was born in Japan and lived there for a good portion of his life. (Military Kid. He's American, but he can read and speak Japanese.)

I don't beleive I've ever heard that anywhere else.

As far as I know, -san means roughly the same thing as "Mr." does in English. It's just professional/ semiformal way of addressing someone.

con-artist
2009-05-19, 05:43 PM
-Senpai is a teacher or higher grade student or co-worker

You should never call your teacher Senpai! Technically you may if your teacher is from your school. Then your teacher is both your Sensei and Senpai. In this case the fact that he/she is your Sensei overrides the fact that he/she is your Senpai.

con-artist
2009-05-19, 05:52 PM
To understand the emotional aspect of calling MitD 'Monster san', it may be useful to consider how (some) white Americans used to treat black slaves in the deep south.

Black men were called 'kid' 'boy' or '******'.

Now imagine a white man had developed a healthy respect for a black man and called him 'Mr. Jones'. Not only such a term shows respect, it also conveys some affection as well.

(On the other hand, if you call your childhood friend Mr.something, then it would signal distance.)