PDA

View Full Version : Roy's banter (SoD Spoilers and some predictions)

Albonor
2009-05-19, 04:39 PM
We all saw Xykon's combat banter and we all know Roy is also a big talker during his fights. Round one and two between them indeed show more insults than hits.

But if you remember correctly the ending of SoD, Xykon's use of Energy Drain comes with the expression: "I can keep casting Energy drain over and over because my magic is in my bones, not scripted from Magic for Dummies and pretty soon you will not be able to cast any of your fancy spells".

But now, Roy can disrupt "any" spellcasting with a feat so......I can see him whacking and whacking Xykon and saying " But I can keep hitting you over and over again, because I'm a big dumb fighter and my powers involve a simple beatstick and pretty soon you'll simply run out of spells to TRY to cast!"

Pretty fitting karming line and corresponding with Roy's idea that a well prepared fighter CAN take on a sorcerer.

Thoughts?

Optimystik
2009-05-19, 04:58 PM
He'll sound totally badass until Xykon flies out of reach/turns ethereal...

Linkavitch
2009-05-19, 05:02 PM
That would be amazing...until Xykon casts Meteor Swarm times infinity on Roy.

Belkster11
2009-05-19, 05:18 PM
But Roy will make sure to be on the ground this time. ;)

theinsulabot
2009-05-19, 05:31 PM

if i was better at this text link thing, i would have a picture of the oracle explaining to belkar that roy would of died had he fought xykon on the ground because

"dude is freaking scary"

but i am not, i want you to know the sentiment was there though

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-19, 09:13 PM
Unfortunatley, Roy wasn't there for that battle, so it wouldn't be nearly as ironic as if Dourkan or even Redcloak said something like that.

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-19, 09:52 PM
Hmmm oots verse

Wizards beaten by Sorcerers beaten by Fighters

Dumb------------->Dumber=========> Dumbest

You could be on to something

Haven
2009-05-19, 11:11 PM
Pretty fitting karming line and corresponding with Roy's idea that a well prepared fighter CAN take on a sorcerer.

Thoughts?

"Karming"?

Kish
2009-05-20, 01:15 AM
The idea that Xykon can't be beaten by a wizard, but can be by a fighter, has become popular lately. The problem I see with it is simply that Xykon does outpower Roy by so much, and the tactics proposed tend to be either, like the one here, easily beaten by "I fly away and nuke you from orbit then" or not really defined at all. "I beat you by hitting you in the face because I am strong he-man and you weak skeleton who relies on overcivilized mind!" belongs in Conan, not OotS. :smalltongue: Roy might well defeat Xykon because he has allies and Xykon only has slaves, but he's not going to smash Xykon one-on-one just because he wants to. (Yes, I know he effectively did that in the Dungeon of Dorukan; and if you've read the author notes for War and XPs, you know Rich doesn't want to repeat what happened there for Xykon's last hurrah.)

factotum
2009-05-20, 02:04 AM

A Meteor Swarm to the face is still going to hurt. A lot. :smallwink:

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-20, 02:17 AM
Xykon could not be beaten by a Fighter. He could be beaten by a Fighter working with a Rogue, a Bard, a Cleric, a Ranger, a Paladin, and an Arcane Caster however. Strength in numbers...power of friendship and all that.

Charles Phipps
2009-05-20, 02:23 AM
Guys,

You do realize Roy can and never will defeat Xykon right? The big flaw is the fact that Roy went out BY HIMSELF to confront Xykon. It was stupidly suicidal and got him killed.

Clearly Roy never learned any valuable Raiding tactics in Fighter school.

He should have played WOW instead.

krossbow
2009-05-20, 03:29 AM
Roy is a level 14-15 fighter. Xykon is a lich whos able to cast epic spells.

I'm just saying, Roy soloing Xykon would be like a midget punching out God. As the current situation stands it will be obscenely hard for the order to defeat Xykon without a power boost of some type, let alone Roy by himself.

Ancalagon
2009-05-20, 03:30 AM
Guys,

You do realize Roy can and never will defeat Xykon right? The big flaw is the fact that Roy went out BY HIMSELF to confront Xykon. It was stupidly suicidal and got him killed.

Clearly Roy never learned any valuable Raiding tactics in Fighter school.

He should have played WOW instead.

So, in WoW you can pull six Rings of Jumping from the thin air so everyone can hop along on the dragon? I'd doubt that...

krossbow
2009-05-20, 03:32 AM
So, in WoW you can pull six Rings of Jumping from the thin air so everyone can hop along on the dragon? I'd doubt that...

No, in WoW magical flying Hover disks will be provided for you by Deus ex machinas so you can reach the dragon.

factotum
2009-05-20, 05:19 AM
You do realize Roy can and never will defeat Xykon right? The big flaw is the fact that Roy went out BY HIMSELF to confront Xykon.

This is quite true. In fact, we're just finishing a long arc with the various members of the party proving that they're much greater as a whole than the sum of their parts; hopefully all of them, even V, will start to realise the truth of the old cliche "Together we stand, divided we fall".

Ancalagon
2009-05-20, 05:35 AM
No, in WoW magical flying Hover disks will be provided for you by Deus ex machinas so you can reach the dragon.

But luckily, this is not WoW. Or neither Star Wars, so blasting Xykon with a Death Star is right out. And there's also no Matrix-Neo who comes along and dissolves the Xykon-Program. And since this is not Top Gun, there's no planes who come and shoot missiles at Xykon. This is also no Tron, so there's no digitalising Xykon and doing a format c: afterwards.

Azukar
2009-05-20, 06:00 AM
This is quite true. In fact, we're just finishing a long arc with the various members of the party proving that they're much greater as a whole than the sum of their parts; hopefully all of them, even V, will start to realise the truth of the old cliche "Together we stand, divided we fall".

Well said.

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-20, 06:14 PM

"Live together, die alone."

Flickerdart
2009-05-20, 06:28 PM
"I beat you by hitting you in the face because I am strong he-man and you weak skeleton who relies on overcivilized mind!"

Xykon could not be beaten by a Fighter. He could be beaten by a Fighter working with a Rogue, a Bard, a Cleric, a Ranger, a Paladin, and an Arcane Caster however. Strength in numbers...power of friendship and all that.
http://www.ducksportsnews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/heman.jpg
Man-at-Arms sort of looks like Thahn with that moustache, too...

Masterclick
2009-05-20, 10:52 PM
But luckily, this is not WoW. Or neither Star Wars, so blasting Xykon with a Death Star is right out. And there's also no Matrix-Neo who comes along and dissolves the Xykon-Program. And since this is not Top Gun, there's no planes who come and shoot missiles at Xykon. This is also no Tron, so there's no digitalising Xykon and doing a format c: afterwards.

How bout Chuck Norris coming in and round-house kicking him in the face? You didn't cover that.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-20, 11:57 PM

You think O-Chul or Hinjo is going to join the OOTS? Or Miko returns from the dead at some point???:smallcool::smallbiggrin: