PDA

View Full Version : Wizard spells

yilduz
2009-05-19, 05:14 PM
Have you ever had a wizard that created their own spells? If so, what were they?

shadzar
2009-05-19, 05:26 PM
Depended on the interest of my wizard, the setting, and what things were allowed.

Not only is the rules for spell research a bit of a bulet to bite to get it done (AD&D), but making a spell work correctly and not be over or under powered for its job is another hard one.

Some of the spells were lasting or permanent forms of cantrips. Rather than something changing colors temporarily and true seeing showing it had magical effect, you could actually "paint" something with a new spell.

Of course the school was alteration, and the duration became permanent. The spell was 2nd level when complete, and would increase in power with the level of the wizard as to how many square feet of color could be changed.

Also this spell would only change things that have been colored, not change the natural color of things.

So a painted or stained door, can be changed to any color, but you couldn't make purple tree bark that was still growing on the tree.

That is the basics of one spell, but I won't tell exactly what it was used/researched for because that is privy only to that character to this day. :smallwink:

arguskos
2009-05-19, 05:27 PM
Hah! Tons of 'em. I like custom stuff more than printed materials.

For example, I played a cantrip obsessed mage once who invented Double the Fun. It let him cast two cantrips at once. The best part was cantrips were infinite in this game, so I just prepared a nice variety (using level 1 slots to do so) and abused Double the Fun to no end. His favorite thing was to Double the Mage Hands and do a slow clap. :smallbiggrin:

Once (on another character), I came up with a cantrip that let me speak with creatures that were dying (negative HP) so I could ask if I could use their bodies in my undead experiments. I was a polite necromancer.

Another character of mine once developed a spell that let me turn parts of my body into elemental substances, so I could gain advantages. For example, if we needed to cross some lava, I'd cast it on my feet and turn them into elemental fire. Then, the lava didn't hurt me! :smallbiggrin:

LOLC2k
2009-05-19, 08:22 PM
Yes, Blood to urine. Basically it was much like blood to water, except even more painful. Not to mention absolutely disgusting.

Kurald Galain
2009-05-20, 04:18 AM
Have you ever had a wizard that created their own spells? If so, what were they?

Yes, although in most cases I got to design spells OOC but was never given enough downtime to research them IC.

One spell I did get to use a lot was the Fire Lasso. You throw it around someone, and he gets constricted and takes fire damage each round until he gets loose.