PDA

View Full Version : Builds for antimagic field combat

lyko555
2009-05-19, 07:00 PM
As above the dm let it slip that we are going to be experiencing some (big) areas of dead magic zones and what not. I am in the nice position to help the party out as my last character got hit with disentegration, and bit the big one.
Its a lvl9-10 campaign not sure if i get to bring in a 9th lvl or a 10th just want a good build that would fight decently with magic on but awsomely when no one elses glowy things work :)

also no vop is allowed :(

Talic
2009-05-19, 07:05 PM
Try Tome of Battle Warblade. Most abilities are Ex.

lesser_minion
2009-05-19, 07:58 PM
I'm not a veteran as far as mechanically powerful builds go, so much of this is second-hand, but you might want to look into:

Initiate of Mystra (if appropriate) Soulbow PrC (apparently pretty decent, even though soulknife is considered weak) Melee trip builds (these tend to involve spiked chains and a variety of other tricks to basically keep opponents on the ground) Melee lockdown builds (combos involving Combat Reflexes, Stand Still and spiked chains to cancel enemy movement)

Eldariel
2009-05-19, 08:35 PM
Druid's still decent thanks to Animal Companion. Initiate of Mystra Cleric is a beast in such an environment; by far the strongest possible character (if you manage to beat the DCs with some consistency), but tends towards "extremely"-end of the "cheesy - extremely cheesy" scale. All melee-types are great, obviously. Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker is probably the most powerful choice, but Crusader or Warblade is like to be the most interesting.

Crusader could be really, really handy to have along to have access to some token in-combat healing. Stone Power + Delayed Damage Pool + Healing Maneuvers = tanking extraordinaire. Couple that with reach weapon + Thicket of Blades + Stand Still/Improved Trip and you can force almost all opponents to face you.

Wings are obviously a huge thing in a no-magic situation so races like Dragonborn of Bahamut and Raptoran skyrocket in value. Indeed, Dragonborn X Crusader (with possible Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator build for out-of-Dead Magic Zone awesome) could kick insane amounts of ass in that environment.

Of course, damage dealers like Rogues, Swordsages/Warblade, Berserkers and such could fare extremely well too. A Rogue with Darkstalker is practically undetectable and thus layeth the smackdown, especially with flank. Swordsage (or Warblade/Swordsage) TWF and Warblade Two-Hander could both rack up rather insane numbers, and of course, all non-magical offensive bonuses such as Knowledge Devotion and poison get their time in the sun.

Oh yeah, and Factotum Archer could dish out rather serious hurt in such an environment. Basically any character with lots of Ex-abilities and good combat ability (or one able to bypass the "dead magic"-part) is a solid choice. I'd personally go Crusader, or rather Ruby Knight Vindicator, simply because having access to some form of healing, even if limited, in a Dead Magic Zone is just a godsent. Then again, a dedicated long range Archer (or a fast-flying character with Wings) could really bail you out of all the crap you're bound to get into.

Finally, if you want a Wizard or such, make one that's built a big Golem (Templated Effigies are probably the most efficient) or Planar Bound a big demon or two or some such (a Wizard Malconvoker could bind a Glabrezu on level 10); preferably both. Just 'cause you can't cast spells (keep a scroll of Invoke Magic [Lords of Madness] handy in case you really need to cast something) doesn't mean you couldn't bring a big pal along.

This could actually be the second-best plan after Initiate of Mystra, 'cause a Glabrezu can really clear the house when magic is not abound on those levels. Better yet, Bind one and buy a Psychic Reformation for it as a part of the contract, to fix up its feats (all it needs is Shape Soulmeld: Sphinx Claws and Open Least Chakra: Hands - it can afford to give up Persuasive and Great Cleave).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-19, 09:30 PM
If you can take the feat Initiate of Mystra (PGtF), go with a Cleric. Use the feat Magical Training (PGtF) to qualify for and take Dweomerkeeper (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a), and maybe throw in some Contemplative and/or Divine Oracle. Use the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get the feat prerequisite for Divine Oracle without spending one of your feats on it.

If you can't use that and magic and psionics are separate, i.e. AMF and dead magic doesn't affect psionic powers and abilities, then go with a Psion. I'd use a Shaper with Ectopic Form: Emerald Gyre, Boost Construct, and the Personal Construct (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) variant. Get a Psycrystal with Share Pain and Vigor, use Share Pain in the psycrystal, use Vigor and share it with the psycrystal. You and the psycrystal will each gain 5 temporary hp per powerpoint spent, and damage either of you take is split halfway between both of you. If you spend four powerpoints, that's a 40 hp cushion they have to get through to deal any damage to either of you. Maybe take Sangehirn (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c) with it so you can buff and heal your party, though you'd need Heal as a class skill to qualify even somewhat early, which usually means going Egoist. An Egoist/Slayer/Sangehirn could be a good choice as a psionic gish build. Go Egoist 6/ Sangehirn 4/ Slayer 10, get the feat Thick-Skinned from Savage Species, and use Metamorphosis to take a buff combat form like a Cave Troll or a Behir.

If not, I'd go with the following build:
Some damage reduction is supernatural (DR/alignment, DR/magic, DR/epic) and some is extraordinary (DR/bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing, DR/metal type, DR/-). Supernatural DR is suppressed in a dead magic zone, but extraordinary DR isn't. Mundane modes of movement, such as Swim, Fly, and Burrow speeds, are also useful in that type of game.

Use Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) for your base race, it gets Str +4, Con +2, Int -2, Wis -2, Cha -2, 30 ft. land speed, and 30 ft. swim speed. Apply Dragonborn of Bahamut (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1), it removes all the Orc and Water racial traits except those I listed, and grants Dex -2, Con +2. Take the Wings aspect, and at 6th level you'll gain a fly speed. Add on Mineral Warrior (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) after Dragonborn but before you hit 6th level. That gets another Str +2, Con +4, Int -2, Wis -2, Cha -2, with +3 natural armor, a 15 ft. burrow speed, DR 8/adamantine, Darkvision 60 ft., and Earth Strike 1/day. Dragonborn only removes the racial traits you had before gaining it, and mineral warrior only removes a fly speed you have at the time you gain it. You'll still get a fly speed at your 6th character level, for a base land speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft., burrow 15 ft., fly 30 ft. average, and ability score adjustments of Str +6, Dex -2, Con +8, Int -4, Wis -4, Cha -4, with +3 natural armor and DR 8/adamantine which even works in dead magic areas.

If you have the option to buy off your level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm), you can say you gained both Dragonborn and Mineral Warrior at first level, and buy off your +1 LA at your fourth character level. That will leave you only 4,000 xp behind the rest of the party with a +0 LA.

Depending on your ability scores, maybe go Crusader 20 or Warblade 20, or if your Wisdom score is decent go for a Crusader/Cleric/RKV build. You'll get maneuvers and stances and all your other Crusader abilities in dead magic zones, plus your DR, natural armor, naturally high Str and Con, and movement modes. Once you can use spells you can heal up the party, cast divinations and other story-solving spells, and use buffs to further increase your already substantial combat abilities. For a Crusader or RKV I'd go with a one handed weapon and shield, Stone Power, Shield Specialization and Shield Ward from PH2, maybe even a tower shield. With a Warblade I'd use a two handed weapon with Power Attack, probably a reach weapon with armor spikes and Combat Reflexes if your Dex is 12+, and maybe try to boost your Int high enough to take Combat Expertise and Improved Trip. You'll probably want the feat Reinforced Wings from RotD so you can fly in medium armor, and wear mithral full plate. With a RKV get a lesser rod of extend to put Magic Vestment on your armor and shield every day, even though it probably won't matter.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-19, 10:33 PM
Dread Necros are pretty nice, especially in AMFs, and not cheesy. Since it's a new character, you'll have to talk to your DM about what sort of corpse/level rate you get, but a Skeletal Rage Drake(MMIII but needs RotD, IIRC) is incredible. Similar giant bruisers that have no magic items or casting are generally the strongest force availible in AMFs.

Shadow Weave Magic may be an issue due to flavor, but for power on a Beguiler there is nothing better, especially in an AMF.

ToB classes survive better than most meleers due to scaling abilities that need no real boost from items, but Warblades are the only ones IIRC that are completely EX. SS or Crusaders aren't useless, but a Warblade is better given that they don't lose anything in terms of class abilities. (Plus, IHS destroys the AMF with one standard action, but that's just cheesy).

If the AMF is smaller, a summoner or Orb-Wizard can sit outside and snipe without being vulnerable to the hideous nerfage, but I somehow doubt that is the case.

Pretty much, you want something that can opperate with no magic items or casting. Make sure your DM understands that a party with no gear can be easily owned by opponents several levels lower, let alone in cases where there is no casting.

And VoP sucks, so don't worry.

lyko555
2009-05-20, 12:00 PM
Dread Necros are pretty nice, especially in AMFs, and not cheesy. Since it's a new character, you'll have to talk to your DM about what sort of corpse/level rate you get, but a Skeletal Rage Drake(MMIII but needs RotD, IIRC) is incredible. Similar giant bruisers that have no magic items or casting are generally the strongest force availible in AMFs.

Shadow Weave Magic may be an issue due to flavor, but for power on a Beguiler there is nothing better, especially in an AMF.

ToB classes survive better than most meleers due to scaling abilities that need no real boost from items, but Warblades are the only ones IIRC that are completely EX. SS or Crusaders aren't useless, but a Warblade is better given that they don't lose anything in terms of class abilities. (Plus, IHS destroys the AMF with one standard action, but that's just cheesy).

If the AMF is smaller, a summoner or Orb-Wizard can sit outside and snipe without being vulnerable to the hideous nerfage, but I somehow doubt that is the case.

Pretty much, you want something that can opperate with no magic items or casting. Make sure your DM understands that a party with no gear can be easily owned by opponents several levels lower, let alone in cases where there is no casting.

And VoP sucks, so don't worry.

Yeah my last character was a dread necro. He was pretty awsome until the point we started running into theses zones and the dm ruled that only a certian type of deadite could function in them. (shadowslain) basicly our last boss fight we were in an antimagic zone( where the baddies could cast all theyr spells and we couldnt it popped any undead or summond creature, but they had deadites of theyr own so i ran in rebuked and got disentegrated.
our mage got hit with the big D as well so we both rolled up new toons. She is going the warblade path. I just wanted to find a decent (screw you ) type class. Psion is out because gm doesnt have the book so doesnt like em. I have an archivist drawn out with insane knowledge checks so at least i can be a party buff if it comes down to that.
Is there any way to cast spells in a dead magic zone?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-20, 12:12 PM
Yeah my last character was a dread necro. He was pretty awsome until the point we started running into theses zones and the dm ruled that only a certian type of deadite could function in them. (shadowslain) basicly our last boss fight we were in an antimagic zone( where the baddies could cast all theyr spells and we couldnt it popped any undead or summond creature, but they had deadites of theyr own so i ran in rebuked and got disentegrated.Undead function in AMFs, rebuking doesn't. Your DM either messed up or is out to get you. Which one it is will help us figure out how to help.
Is there any way to cast spells in a dead magic zone?Shadow Weave Magic for most casters, or initiate of Mystra for Clerics, but both only if you're in Faerun.
Shadow Weave Magic works best on a Beguiler, as I said earlier, but any caster can use it, while Initiate of Mystra works best going CoDzilla.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-20, 12:52 PM
It's hard to go wrong with a melee build, especially when everyone else is unable to cast. Barbarians with Power Attack and 2-handers can do just as fine with magic as they can without. Spiked Chain Trip builds are also effective, though you will have no way of getting larger so trying to trip enemies with 4 legs or Large will be difficult. If you can use ToB, than a Warblade can also be effective.

Best of luck
-Eddie

lyko555
2009-05-20, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah the dm is out to get us hes playing a campaign out of the book that was in no way prepared for our group. So hes down to (rolling) about 5-8 crits a combat. Normaly i try to go for nice balanced classes the dread Necro was awsome but i didnt like how all combat came down to my turn ending it. I want my other party members to look good but i just have to beat the dm now :P

The Glyphstone
2009-05-20, 01:14 PM
Undead function in AMFs, rebuking doesn't. Your DM either messed up or is out to get you. Which one it is will help us figure out how to help.

Considering these are apparently 'special' AMFs that allow the enemies to cast as normal and permit their undead to function while denying the PCs the use of magic and undead, I would say that it's option 2.

FinalJustice
2009-05-20, 01:14 PM
Yeah my last character was a dread necro. He was pretty awsome until the point we started running into theses zones and the dm ruled that only a certian type of deadite could function in them. (shadowslain) basicly our last boss fight we were in an antimagic zone( where the baddies could cast all theyr spells and we couldnt it popped any undead or summond creature, but they had deadites of theyr own so i ran in rebuked and got disentegrated.
our mage got hit with the big D as well so we both rolled up new toons. She is going the warblade path. I just wanted to find a decent (screw you ) type class. Psion is out because gm doesnt have the book so doesnt like em. I have an archivist drawn out with insane knowledge checks so at least i can be a party buff if it comes down to that.
Is there any way to cast spells in a dead magic zone?

Talk to your DM. Nullifying a PC in such a major fight is not a nice thing to do, since it can really ruin the fun, unless said PC is really ok with the situation. Finally, a seletive 'PCs only' AMF is just mean. In case of a nice conversation doesn't work, I'd leave the game.

Now, on builds that work on AMFs. People got ToB covered, I second that. I most definitely would stay clear from Frienzed Bersekers if your DM is fond of huge AMFs. In such huge AMFs, you'll end up killing one of your teammates in no time, specially the semi-defenseless spellcasters.

I'd go for a Winged race, either Warblade for melee or a high mobility archer Rogue/Scout, being out of the harm's way and unloading buckets of arrows and skirmish/sneak attack damage. Bonus points if you can manage to grab an 'ex' Hide in Plain Sight somewhere.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-20, 01:47 PM
Animate Dead has an Instantaneous duration, it creates a creature and then there's no more lingering magic there at all. It can't be dispelled, it is not suppressed in an AMF or dead magic area. It works the same way as trying to use Dispel Magic to (temporarily) disable a Golem, it's not a spell or magic item, it is a creature that is not affected by things like that. Only summoned creatures (but not called creatures) are negated by dispel magic, AMF, and dead magic areas, but there is not a single corporeal undead in the game that is affected that way.

If opponents can use spells and magical abilities in the dead magic areas, find out how they do it and copy it. Once you get outside the dead magic use Speak With Dead or other divinations to find out what they're using.

lyko555
2009-05-20, 03:14 PM
Animate Dead has an Instantaneous duration, it creates a creature and then there's no more lingering magic there at all. It can't be dispelled, it is not suppressed in an AMF or dead magic area. It works the same way as trying to use Dispel Magic to (temporarily) disable a Golem, it's not a spell or magic item, it is a creature that is not affected by things like that. Only summoned creatures (but not called creatures) are negated by dispel magic, AMF, and dead magic areas, but there is not a single corporeal undead in the game that is affected that way.

If opponents can use spells and magical abilities in the dead magic areas, find out how they do it and copy it. Once you get outside the dead magic use Speak With Dead or other divinations to find out what they're using.

Its not the anti magic field thats killing the undead it was an anti undead field within the dead magic area.(shrine to shar) or whatever. also unfortunatly the magic they were using is shadow magic that has been disallowed for us.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-20, 03:38 PM
How long has this guy been DMing? The way he's running this game smacks of laziness and a desire to 'win' against the players. If your group gets frustrated, just make your characters walk away and go seek adventure elsewhere. If it's in FR then someone else is sure to show up to stop the villains in your absence, whether Harpers or Zhentarim or even Elminster himself. Tell your DM that you don't like it when he arbitrarily makes your characters powerless, and that his game has stopped being fun because of it, if that's the case. If the world would end in the absence of a bunch of mid-level characters, then it probably deserves it, otherwise someone else will show up to complete this chore of a campaign he's poorly designed.

If they're using Shadow Weave Magic, then take Initiate of Mystra and go Dweomerkeeper. With your starting wealth buy an Antimagic Torc from Underdark, but designate it as a shadow weave item. It costs 25,000 gp, and 1/day it can project a Shadow Weave Antimagic Field activated by command word, which lasts 110 minutes. If you have to take the feat Ancestral Relic from BoED and make this item your relic. You can make an Ancestral Relic any item you want up to the value limit, regardless of whether or not you could have created that item yourself, which includes choosing to designate it as a shadow weave item. That should even the playing field for one fight per day, and you'll still be able to use your spells and abilities unhindered.