PDA

View Full Version : New base class:The Adventurer (P.E.A.C.H)

TheThan
2006-08-02, 05:06 PM
This is about all I’ve gotten so far in this class. I’ve plum run out of ideas. I’m thinking of turning the character into a half arcane caster (like the hexblade, ranger, paladin etc.). The magic would be based on int. I’m interested in any advice people can give. The class needs the later levels of the class filled out.

The adventurer

Adventures are people who have a desire to learn all they can about the mysteries that surround them. Whether they be government sanctioned explorers or freelance dungeon delvers. One thing is connects all adventures, that is their deep desire to know and to explore.

Adventurer
Key abilities: intelligence is the most important ability for the adventurer. Other important abilities vary wildly between individuals.
Hit dice: d8
Starting gold: as fighter
Skill points: 4+int modifier (4+int modifier x4 at first level)
Class skills: the player may choose any 10 skills to his list of class skills.

Adventurer progression (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/adventurer3.jpg)

Special abilities

Adventurer lore
An adventurer may make a special Adventurer Lore check with a bonus equal to his Adventurer level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the adventurer has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), he gains a +2 bonus on this check.)

A successful Adventurer lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. An Adventurer may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

{table]

10:
Common, known by at least a substantial minority of the local population

20:
Uncommon but available, known by only a few people legends

25:
Obscure, known by few, hard to come by

30:
Extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who don’t understand the significance of the knowledge

[/table]

Trapfinding

Adventurers can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.
Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
Adventurers can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
A Adventurer who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.

Trap Sense (Ex)

Starting at 3rd level, an adventurer gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every three Adventurer class levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

At 4th level, an adventurer retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Evasion (Ex)

At 5th level and higher, an adventurer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the adventurer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless adventurer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

An adventurer of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.

This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has adventurer levels.

If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Improved Evasion (Ex)

At 10th level, an adventurer’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless adventurer does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Enhanced vision.

Due to years of adventuring in the dark places in the world the Adventurer may grow accustomed to darkness and gloom. The adventurer gains Low light vision if he did not previously have it, or he may gain darkvision out to 60 feet if he already posses low light vision.

Improved enhanced vision
An adventurer may grow even more accustomed to darkness and may no longer need a light source to adventure in the dark. An adventurer without darkvision gains darkvision out to 60 feet. For adventures that already have darkvision, they gain +60 feet to the range of their darkvision.

Heart

The adventurer posses a great deal of self-confidence and courage. Because of this, once per day the Adventurer can focus his will and gain a circumstance bonus based on his innate belief in himself and his abilities. This bonus ranges from +1 at 7th level and improves to +4 at 17th level.
This bonus can be applied to any skill check, ability check, attack roll or saving throw.
The player may choose to us this ability after a roll has been made but before the outcome has been revealed.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-02, 05:13 PM
Spell-like abilities from the trickery domain. Bonus to Listen, Search, Spot according to class level. Bonus feats that add to skills (Stealthy, Nimble Fingered, etc). Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a class feature.

I would say no to the arcane casterness. It doesn't seem to mesh with what you've already got (unless you want to make a bard clone).

Nocte
2006-08-02, 05:50 PM
Besides trap sense.The high levels don't give you anything important?

TheThan
2006-08-02, 05:58 PM
That’s the problem, I need to come up with some something stuff to fill the higher levels out with.

Nocte
2006-08-02, 06:03 PM
It's just that the name of the class "Adventurer" don't reminds me any specific abilities.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-02, 06:03 PM
That’s the problem, I need to come up with some something stuff to fill the higher levels out with.
Defensive Roll? Improved Evasion? Danger Sense?

MagFlare
2006-08-02, 08:29 PM
What I'm picturing for this class is an Indiana Jones type of character who can improvise to suit the situation. To that end, I'd reduce the penalties for using weapons with which he isn't proficient (including improvised weapons). Maybe you could play up the pulp hero angle by giving him some bonus nonlethal damage when he's fighting unarmed - maybe a d4 at level 2 and every 3 levels thereafter, eventually giving him 7d4 at level 20.

As far as noncombat abilities go, he might be able to add his Int bonus to any single (non-Int based) skill check a certain number of times per day. This would represent his ability to think himself through any problem. Perhaps his years exploring dungeons would have sharpened his ability to see in the dark, granting him low-light vision, darkvision, or an extra 60' of darkvision, depending on what sort of vision he had previously.

I'd stay away from the spellcasting, though. I feel that there are already plenty of classes which do that.

TheThan
2006-08-03, 04:47 PM
All right I updated the class with some new stuff. I like what I have so far but I need some kind of capstone ability.

ghost_warlock
2006-08-04, 07:57 AM
I can see this class gaining Action Points, a la Eberron, even in a non-Action Point campaign. That could be a good springboard to work off of.