PDA

View Full Version : Adapting a videogame into a campaign

Cybren
2006-08-04, 03:03 AM
i'm not sure how many people have played mount&blade (www.taleworlds.com), but it rawks.

THe premise is...
well... you're a guy in a medieval european world in a time of war. Uhh yeah, you can go trade some supplies between towns or recruit soldiers, fighting about. You traverse the terrain with your army, and can engage bandits or enemy armies and enter towns to sell your wares. You can capture enemies in battle and sell them to the slave driver.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate the level of open endedness and feel into a campaign. To be honest, i'm not quite sure D&D is suited to this. Perhaps there's another system, or a particular setting with that sort of feel?

Peregrine
2006-08-04, 07:06 AM
You'd need a better economic system than "trade goods sell for full price, everything else for half price". Otherwise, it's down to DMing. "The region is torn by a war between two sides. You have a horse and a rusty sword. What do you want to do?" (It does work better as a one-on-one game where the character gets Leadership, though.)