PDA

View Full Version : (3.5, Feats) New Heritage Feats

Pramxnim
2009-05-20, 12:56 AM
I just recently made a character relying on Draconic Heritage feats and had a blast with it (just making the character, I haven't played in a game with him yet), so I thought... why not see what other heritage feats there are available? To my disappointment, however, the other heritage feats were all over the place, and there is a lot of disparity in power level between them. What you'll see here is an attempt to close the gap between the heritage feat lines (and maybe give people more incentive to take them).

First up is the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feat line, from Player's Handbook II (p89). Any feat not mentioned here are left unchanged from the originals.

Celestial Sorcerer Heritage Feats

Celestial Sorcerer Lance (PHB II, p90)
Prerequisites: Celestial Sorcerer Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st
Benefit: As a standard action, you can expend a spell slot to create a 60-ft line of force energy. The bolt deals 2d4 points of damage per level of the spell slot spent to activate this ability. A Reflex save (DC 10 + the level of the spell slot expended + you Cha modifier) halves this damage. This is a supernatural ability.

Celestial Sorcerer Lore (PHB II, p90)
Prerequisites: Celestial Sorcerer Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st, Character level 6th
Benefit: You add magic circle against evil, see invisibility and tongues to your list of spells known. You gain these spells when you gain access to spells of the appropriate level. These spells are in addition to the spells you gain normally based on your sorcerer level.

Celestial Sorcerer Legacy
Prerequisites: Celestial Sorcerer Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st, Character level 9th
Benefit: You add dispel evil, holy smite and teleport to your list of spells known. You gain these spells when you gain access to spells of the appropriate level. These spells are in addition to the spells you gain normally based on your sorcerer level.

Celestial Sorcerer Power
Benefit: Your caster level increases by 1, and you add 1 to the save DC of all arcane spells with the [good] descriptor.

Celestial Sorcerer Resistance (PHB II, p91)
Benefit: You gain resistance to cold and electricity equal to three times the total number of celestial sorcerer heritage feats you have. These values stack with any resistance cold and electricity you might have from your type, subtype, race, or class, but not from other sources, such as spells or magic items.

Spoilered so that people don't balk at the walls of text and run away (like they do with my other homebrew attempts :sigh:)

Trodon
2009-05-20, 01:46 AM
Thats cool i just made a sorcerer with the draconic heritage feats and i like the idea about other heritages so thanks.

Oh and all of your feats has the "Sorcerer level 1st" requirement and that's imposable to get more than 2 of there feats, you should just make Celestial heritage have "Sorcerer level 1st" as a requirement then you can take more than 2 of them.

Pramxnim
2009-05-20, 03:55 AM
Thanks for commenting. And no, the Sorcerer level 1st thing is just that you need to have at least 1 level in Sorcerer to take it. I guess I'll fix that.

Meanwhile, new feats. Here we have the Celestial Sorcerer's counterpart, the Infernal Sorcerer. All feats not mentioned here are unchanged from the originals (PHB II, p89)

Infernal Sorcerer Heritage Feats

Infernal Sorcerer Heritage (PHB II, p91)
Prerequisites: Sorcerer level 1st
Benefit: You gain a bonus on saves against fire and poison equal to the number of infernal sorcerer heritage feats you possess. You also add protection from good to your list of 1st-level sorcerer spells known. This spell is in addition to the spells you gain normally based on your sorcerer level.

Infernal Sorcerer Knowledge
Prerequisites: Infernal Sorcerer Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st, Character level 6th
Benefit: You add magic circle against good, hold person and invisibility to your list of spells known. You gain these spells when you gain access to spells of the appropriate level. These spells are in addition to the spells you gain normally based on your sorcerer level.

Infernal Sorcerer Legacy
Prerequisites: Infernal Sorcerer Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st, Character level 6th
Benefit: You add dimensional anchor, order's wrath and persistent image to your list of spells known. You gain these spells when you gain access to spells of the appropriate level. These spells are in addition to the spells you gain normally based on your sorcerer level.

Infernal Sorcerer Power
Prerequisites: Infernal Sorcerer Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st
Benefit: Your caster level increases by 1, and you add 1 to the save DC of all arcane spells with the [evil] descriptor.

Infernal Sorcerer Resistance (PHB II, p91)
Benefit: You gain resistance to acid and cold equal to three times the total number of infernal sorcerer heritage feats you have. These values stack with any resistance acid and cold you might have from your type, subtype, race, or class, but not from other sources, such as spells or magic items.

Infernal Sorcerer Wings
Benefit: You can expend a spell slot as a standard action to gain the ability to fly. You fly at a speed equal to twice your base land speed with good maneuverability. This benefit lasts for 1 round per level of the spell slot used to activate it. This is a supernatural ability.

Pramxnim
2009-05-20, 10:29 AM
Continuing on, this time we have... the FEY! Blast those cutey fairies and their "butterfly" wings. Guess why I didn't give them those :smallamused:

Fey Heritage Feats

Fey Heritage (Complete Mage, p43)
You are descended from creatures native to the fey realms. You are naturally resistant to the most common effects produced by your ancestors as well as to the magic of lawful foes.
Prerequisites: Non-lawful element
Benefit: You gain a bonus on saves against enchantment effects, as well as on saving throws against spells and effects that have the [lawful] descriptor equal to the number of fey heritage feats you possess.

Fey Power (Complete Mage, p43)
Your fey heritage augments the power of certain types of magic
Prerequisites: Non-lawful element, Fey Heritage
Benefit: Your caster level increases by 1, and you add 1 to the save DC for enchantment spells and warlock invocations.

Fey Resilience
Your fey nature provides you with unforeseen toughness.
Benefit: When you take this feat, you gain 2 hit points for each fey heritage feat you have, including this one. Whenever you take a new fey heritage feat, you gain 2 more hit points.

Fey Skin
Your skin becomes more resilient, taking on an extraordinary hardness most people do not associate with your fey ancestors.
Benefit: Your natural armour bonus increases by 1 for every 2 fey heritage feats you have (minimum +1).

Pramxnim
2009-05-21, 02:27 AM
Next we have the counterpart to the hippie feys: the emo fiends! Complete Mage may have fluffed them as being descended from either Devils or Demons, but I think they lean more towards the Demon side of the coin (the resistance to Acid and Fire thing mostly), while Infernal Sorcerers are the Devils (hence their spell selection). Any feat not mentioned here is left unchanged from the original entries in Complete Mage. I couldn't include a feat similar to Draconic Breath and its ilk, since these two feat trees are designed for Warlocks as well, and they don't have spell slots to sacrifice.

Fiendish Heritage Feats

Fiendish Claws
You develop natural weapons like those of your fiendish ancestors.
Prerequisite: Non-good element, Fiendish Heritage
Benefit: You gain a claw attack. You can make a natural attack with two claws, dealing damage based on your size as if you were truly a demon (Small 1d4, Medium 1d6, Large 1d8). In any round when you cast a spell or invocation with a casting time of 1 standard action, you can make a single claw attack at your full attack bonus as a swift action against an opponent you threaten.

Fiendish Heritage (Complete Mage, p43)
You are descended from creatures native to the Abyss. You share some of your ancestors' natural resistance to electricity and poison, and you are resistant to the magic of good foes.
Prerequisites: Non-good element
Benefit: You gain a bonus on saves against electricity and poison, as well as on saving throws against spells and effects that have the [good] descriptor equal to the number of fiendish heritage feats you possess.

Fiendish Power (Complete Mage, p43)
Your fiendish heritage augments the power of certain types of magic
Prerequisites: Non-good element, Fiendish Heritage
Benefit: Your caster level increases by 1, and you add 1 to the save DC for evil spells and warlock invocations.

Fiendish Resistance (Complete Mage, p43)
Your bloodline inures you against corrosion and fire.
Benefit: You gain resistance to acid and fire equal to three times the number of feats that list Fiendish Heritage as a prerequisite (including Fiendish Heritage itself and other such feats that you take after gaining this one). These values stack with any resistance acid and fire you might have from your type, subtype, race, or class, but not from other sources, such as spells or magic items.

Fiendish Vigor
Your fiendish nature enhances your stamina as you embrace the wonders of the Abyss.
Benefit: When you take this feat, you gain 2 hit points for each fiendish heritage feat you have, including this one. Whenever you take a new fiendish heritage feat, you gain 2 more hit points.

And... as a bonus!

Draconic Feats

Draconic Skin (Races of the Dragon, p105 / Complete Arcane, p78)
Your skin takes on a sheen, luster, and hardness related to your draconic ancestor.
Prerequisites: Draconic Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st
Benefit: Your natural armour bonus increases by 1 for every 2 draconic feats you have (minimum +1).

Draconic feats are mostly alright in my book. The only qualm I have with it is the Draconic Skin feat, which always struck me as being quite weak. This isn't much of a power boost, but a boost's a boost.

I guess another qualm is that there is no equivalent to Fey Presence and Fiendish Presence, but I won't even attempt to make a chart as long as the one found in RoTD for one feat.

And this brings this collection to an end. In the end, we end up with a much more acceptable number of heritage feats to choose from. Including these homebrew feats and the ones already in published books (Complete Mage, PHB II, RoTD), there are:

8 Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feats
8 Infernal Sorcerer Heritage feats
7 Fey Heritage feats
7 Fiendish Heritage feats
28 Draconic feats (10 of which are very meh Draconic Lineage feats)

Yeah, there are too many Draconic feats, but they have a lot of books dedicated to them, and they're in the name of the game, so...
I would like to bring the other heritage feats number to at least 10 or so. Any ideas?

The feats mentioned here are also designed to synergise with the Tattooed Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111792) base class as an alternative class feature. Go check it out if you so wish.

TomKatt
2009-08-30, 04:25 AM
I like your feats, and would like to submit this for your approval.

Draconic Power [Draconic] (RoTD: 105, CA: 78)
You have greater power when manipulating the energies of your heritage.
Prerequisites: Draconic Heritage, Sorcerer Level 1st.
Benefit: Your caster level increases by 1, and you gain +1/3 draconic heritage feats to save DC's of all arcane spells with the descriptor or subschool associated with your draconic heritage.
Special:This feat works in conjuction with the Energy Substitution feat (CA: 79) as long as the substituted energy matches the energy type associated with your draconic heritage.