PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Initiators

Kommisar Engel
2009-05-20, 01:41 AM
I have a friend who's running a game and one of the players is a Duskblade/swordsage which using a Shocking Grasp/Death Mark combo. The DM ruled that it won't work but the player argued that Duskblades can channel spells through attacks which were standard actions. The DM allowed it.

Not sure if that was possible so, I'm asking if the Arcane Channeling ability of the Duskblade can be used in conjunction with a standard-action strike maneuver of a martial adept?

Frosty
2009-05-20, 01:55 AM
By RAW, no. Balance-wise, I don't see why not.

toddex
2009-05-20, 01:55 AM
I complete mis-read all of this! High five for 3am est.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-20, 02:33 AM
No, it doesn't work. Death Mark requires a Standard Action to use, and grants a melee attack in addition to its effect. Channel Spell requires a Standard Action to use, and grants a melee attack in addition to its effect. You get only one Standard Action each round to spend, both abilities require you to spend one Standard Action, and you cannot get a two-for-one deal on similar abilities. You cannot pay one Standard Action to use two abilities that have that same cost of actions. It's like saying a +1 Scimitar costs 2,315 gp, and a +1 Longsword costs 2,315 gp, so I should be able to spend 2,315 gp once to get both!

Your DM should immediately stop allowing this to work, it sets a bad precedent. What happens when he wants to use Elder Mountain Hammer with Vampiric Touch to get weapon damage plus 12d6? At best, he can channel his Shocking Grasp, miss with his attack, and still be holding the charge on his next round when he uses Death Mark. You cannot spend two standard actions in one round!

Keld Denar
2009-05-20, 09:55 AM
You cannot spend two standard actions in one round!

Not quite an absolute statement. Choker's swiftness allow them to get 2, and anyone with a Belt of Battle from MIC can get 2. No one can SPEND 2 in the same action though. They are 2 seperate actions that are resolved seperately.

Back to the OP, a Duskblade/Swordsage couldn't do what he wants, but a Wizard/Swordsage/Spellsword could! Spellswords channel their spell as a move action, and then get it out when ever they attack after that. If that attack is an unmodified attack action or a martial strike, it doesn't matter.

Ryuuk
2009-05-20, 10:02 AM
He has to chose between them, as each 'technique' takes a standard action. If he wants to boost to increase his damage, he should look for maneuvers that take Swift actions, (generally the boosts, there are plenty in Desert Wind like those - Blade and Burning Brand) or he could take the Arcane strike feat (Complete Warrior, free action to sacrifice a spell slot to increase attack by the spell level and deal extra d4, you could really nova with this.)

PinkysBrain
2009-05-20, 11:38 AM
Of course his character becomes unplayable without some way to mix the powers of both classes ... so tread carefully.