PDA

View Full Version : a question about several powers.

Mystic Muse
2009-05-20, 02:47 AM
some powers in 4th ed are worded strangely. some say burst one and each creature in burst takes x damage. the problem is the wording implies more than one creature can fit in said burst but since it's burst 1 that seems to be an impossibility. there's only one square and every medium creature (small too I think) takes up at least one square. can somebody help clarify this?

Colmarr
2009-05-20, 02:50 AM
Burst 1 is "every square within 1 of the origin square". In other words, burst 1 is a 3x3 area.

Burst 2 is "every square within 2 of the origin square". In other words, burst 2 is a 5x5 area.

etc.

The diagrams in the Players Handbook make Bursts and Blasts pretty clear.

Mystic Muse
2009-05-20, 02:52 AM
huh. do not recall reading that in the PHB. thanks a lot, now I know how to rule when I run my campaign. I think several newby players will be a bit mad.:smallamused:

Artanis
2009-05-20, 11:48 AM
The PHB goes into more depth about the various attack types starting on page 270.

Thajocoth
2009-05-21, 08:22 PM
Blast is the one that's the same size as it's number. Burst 1 & Blast 3 are the same size. Busts are centered on the target square (or caster) while blasts are cornered on the target square (or adjacent to the caster).