PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Ditantengon Regigoraau (Tattooed Hunter)

Fax Celestis
2006-08-02, 02:43 PM
The Ditantengon Regigoraau (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-di.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-tan.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-ten.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-gon.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-re.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-gi.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-go.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-ra.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Horjinic/rune-au.png ; trans: Spiritsigned Hunter) is a fighter, but not just any fighter. He uses minor magical abilities to store weapons in the form of tattoos around his body.

Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are all good abilities for you to have, though Charisma dictates how many tattoos you can have.

Races: Like all Hunters of the Stag, Ditantengon Regigoraauk are largely human, though other races have been known to take up the mantle.

Alignment: Like all Hunters of the Stag, Ditantengon Regigoraauk must not be evil.

Hit Die: d10

Starting Gold: 3d4x10 gp.

Starting Age: As fighter (PH 109).

==Requirements==
BAB +5
Skills Craft (Tattoo) 5 ranks, Survival 5 ranks
Special Totem class feature

==Class Features==

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Ditantengon Regigoraauk gain no weapon or armor proficiencies

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Animal Handling, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Heal, Hide, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Spot, Survival, Swim

Spirited Tattoo: A Ditantengon Regigoraau deals with the spirits inherent in his weaponry and armor. By promising them use in battle, a Ditantengon Regigoraau may blend them with his body.

While not in use, a weapon, shield, or piece of armor appears as a tattoo on his skin. As a standard action, he may summon forth one of the tattoos back into physical form by touching the tattoo. Conversely, as a full-round action, he may summon forth three. Weapons and shields appear in his hands, while armor appears on top of any clothing he may be wearing. Reintegrating a weapon, shield, or piece of armor back into tattoo form takes a standard action.

A Ditantengon Regigoraau may have as many activatable tattoos as double his Charisma modifier, to a maximum of his current class level.

Weapon of Choice: A Ditantengon Regigoraau focuses on a particular weapon throughout his training. As such, they may select any one weapon (simple, martial, or exotic) at 1st level and gain the required proficiencies for that weapon. They also acquire the Weapon Focus feat for the appropriate weapon. If the Ditantengon Regigoraau already has the Hunter of the Stag's "Weapon of Choice" class feature, he instead gains "Improved Weapon of Choice" (see below).

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, 5th level, and 8th level, a Ditantengon Regigoraau receives a bonus feat as a fighter would.

Quickened Tattoo: At 3th level, a Ditantengon Regigoraau's affinity with the spirits of his armaments increases. He may then call forth one armament as a quick action, to a maximum number of times per day equal to his class level.

Path Ability: At 4th, 6th, and 9th levels, a Ditantengon Regigoraau gains additional path abilities as if he had gained levels in a previous class that granted Spirit Path Magic. He gains no other class features, nor does he get the benefits of any other aspect of the class. In essence, these levels stack with any class that gives Spirit Path Magic abilities. If he does not receive Spirit Path Magic abilities, this class feature has no effect. If he gained Spirit Path Magic abilities from more than one previous class, he must choose which class these levels stack with.

Improved Weapon of Choice: At 5th level, a Ditantengon Regigoraau's prowess with their chosen weapon increases. They receive the Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Focus feats for the appropriate weapon, even if they don't qualify for the feats. If the Ditantengon Regigoraau already has the Hunter of the Stag's "Improved Weapon of Choice" class feature, he instead gains "Greater Weapon of Choice" (see below).

Greater Weapon of Choice: At 10th level, a Ditantengon Regigoraau's prowess with their chosen weapon increases further. They receive the Greater Weapon Specialization feat, even if they don't qualify for the feat. In addition, they receive the Crushing Strike feat if their weapon is a melee bludgeoning weapon; the Driving Attack feat if their weapon is a melee piercing weapon; the Slashing Flurry feat if their weapon is a melee slashing weapon; or the Penetrating Shot feat if their weapon is a ranged weapon. They do not need to qualify for these feats in order to obtain them.

===Playing A Ditantengon Regigoraau===
Ditantengon Regigoraauk are determined individualists, similar to other Hunters of the Stag. However, they are more martially oriented than the survivalist/naturalist Hunters, and so are more often the ones who journey out.

====Religion====
Ditantengon, as a whole, worship Horjin, the Tiger-God of the Hunt.

====Other Classes====
Rangers, scouts, druids, and barbarians get along with the Ditantengon Regigoraauk remarkably. Paladins and clerics admire their devotion.

====Combat====
Surprise is your best friend. Use your tattoo activation to generate yourself a weapon when it is thought that you have none. Subtlety and discretion are more so your realm than other fighters.

===Ditantengon Regigioraauk Progression===
{table]
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special

1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Spirited Tattoo, Weapon of Choice

2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Bonus Feat

3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Quickened Tattoo

4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Path Ability

5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Improved Weapon of Choice, Bonus Feat

6th +6 +5 +2 +2 Path Ability

7th +7 +5 +2 +2 -

8th +8 +6 +2 +2 Bonus Feat

9th +9 +6 +3 +3 Path Ability

10th +10 +7 +3 +3 Greater Weapon of Choice[/table]

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 06:54 PM
...wow, nothing?

jdrich
2006-08-03, 07:14 PM
It's imbalanced, and I don't really have much love for the concept as a core class.

This definitely is not core class material. Would be much better if written as a prestige class. Even then, eh.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 07:52 PM
It's imbalanced, and I don't really have much love for the concept as a core class.

This definitely is not core class material. Would be much better if written as a prestige class. Even then, eh.
How is it imbalanced?

jdrich
2006-08-03, 08:01 PM
More bonus feats (taking into consideration Weapon Of Choice) than the fighter, plus a good deal more skills than the fighter, plus the whole tattoo thing.

Then again, looking at your wiki, it seems there is no fighter base class.

If that's the case, this isn't too bad, but no one would pick Fighter over this class.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 08:06 PM
More bonus feats (taking into consideration Weapon Of Choice) than the fighter, plus a good deal more skills than the fighter, plus the whole tattoo thing.

Then again, looking at your wiki, it seems there is no fighter base class.

If that's the case, this isn't too bad, but no one would pick Fighter over this class.
So cutting back the number of bonus feats would balance it back? The skills are staying.

And the stuff on the Wiki is only the custom stuff I've created, not the be-all-end-all of my campaign.

jdrich
2006-08-03, 08:19 PM
To me, it still doesn't seem like a base class.

Cutting back on the feats would help, but then the class seems to bare.

Why not make it a 5-level PrC available at 3rd level, or a set of 5 replacement levels for 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 08:47 PM
Why not make it a 5-level PrC available at 3rd level, or a set of 5 replacement levels for 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels?
I'd make it a 5-level PrC except that I dislike 5-level PrCs as a whole. Maybe I'll make it a 10-level PrC. And then I can even have one of the prerequisites be "Totem class feature", and add in Hunter Spirit Magic progression.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

The other (less ideal, in my mind) option is to simply make this class' "gimmick" into a feat or feat chain.

jdrich
2006-08-03, 08:55 PM
I dislike 5-level PrCs as a whole.

Really? Why? They're my favorite kind.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 09:01 PM
Really? Why? They're my favorite kind.
There never seems to be enough in them. I'm anti-dip, myself, so you'll never see me do a Ftr 1/Wiz 4/ElKn 3/Arch 7 or some such. I'm very much the type of person who does Ftr 20 or Rgr 10/Barb 10.

And a 5 level PrC feels to me like it's a dip as a whole. Three level PrCs are worse. Ten-levels have some substance and have room for growth.

I suppose I can break it down as such: 5-level PrCs (and, to a greater extent 3-level PrCs) leave me wanting more but have nothing more to offer.

jdrich
2006-08-03, 09:27 PM
But at the same time, a monk or barbarian (or soulknife, or scout, or rogue, etc) can take a 5 level PrC and not feel too bad about it.

I think they add the right amount of flavor without being an 'Elite Class'

Replacement levels are where it's at, though.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 09:37 PM
But at the same time, a monk or barbarian (or soulknife, or scout, or rogue, etc) can take a 5 level PrC and not feel too bad about it.

I think they add the right amount of flavor without being an 'Elite Class'

Replacement levels are where it's at, though.
Yes, replacement levels are awesome. In other news, üpdätëd.

jdrich
2006-08-03, 09:59 PM
Balanced, and much more flavorful.