PDA

View Full Version : Will the OOTS invite O-Chul to be an honorary OOTS member?

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-05-20, 05:58 AM
Will OOTS invite o chul to join there ranks?

Estelindis
2009-05-20, 06:03 AM
No offence (I really mean this - none intended), but this gets asked every time any NPC gets sufficient badass time on screen. Yet it's never happened. I think the OotS is going to go on being the OotS.

Also, I prefer the idea of O-Chul being a lone badass. :smallbiggrin: Though I don't know how long he'll go on being one... :smallfrown: Still, the honour of a paladin is unbreakable even by death, so... :smallcool: Just hope Xykon doesn't Soul Bind him! :smalleek: :smallfurious:

Lemarc
2009-05-20, 06:41 AM
Posthumously, maybe.

factotum
2009-05-20, 06:47 AM
Well, why would they? They already have fighters and divine casters, and I bet they're all higher level than O-Chul is. In addition, I don't see why O-Chul would accept even if such an offer were made--he is loyal to his Lord (Hinjo in this case) and isn't going to go gallivanting off with a bunch of adventurers just for the hell of it.

Piscot
2009-05-20, 07:05 AM
Well, why would they? They already have fighters and divine casters, and I bet they're all higher level than O-Chul is. In addition, I don't see why O-Chul would accept even if such an offer were made--he is loyal to his Lord (Hinjo in this case) and isn't going to go gallivanting off with a bunch of adventurers just for the hell of it.

I couldn't agree more. Why would they even invite him in the first place? Because he's helping them? Then they would have to recruit the whole Azure city ... well what's left of it.
They might offer him to be allies, which they already are anyway.
OotS will probably "only" help him to reunite with Lord Hinjo and othe Azurities.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-20, 07:18 AM
Outside of Belkar (who last saw him when he was paralysed) do they even know O-Chul is alive? Or what he has been up to?

Still, even if they did invite him I don't think he would accept. If he wasn't a Paladin I could see him wanting justice so bad he would maybe go after Xykon and Redcloak for what they have done if the chance was offered.

As a Paladin he will probably be concerned with his duty to Hinjo and the Azurite civilians and what is left of the Order.

Plus after all the poor guy has been through he deserves a rest.

slayerx
2009-05-20, 07:38 AM
NO... no they will not...
Simply put, the origin and dynamic of O'Chul's badassery, coems from the very fact that he is nothing more than a lone NPC, a minor character as far as the comic is concerned... We have seen him do some awesome stuff, but the awesome things are few and far in between.

If O'Chul were to become a main character he would have to show off his awesomeness in every single fight and situation... If he did not, it would make him seem less badass... furthermore, every time he takes action it will be compared to his previous bass ass moments... so even if what he does is great by normal standards, it's actually sub par by "O'Chul Standards". He would have to live up to the hopes and dreams of his fans on a constant basis... reach such goals is much easier when you only appear like once every 50 strips or something like that..

So ya, to put it simply... to become a member of the order of the Stick, would probably bring about the end of the badass O'Chul we know and love.

Well, why would they? They already have fighters and divine casters, and I bet they're all higher level than O-Chul is.
Wah? That's like asking "why wouldn't you want chuck norris on your team?" i don't know who WOULDN'T want O'Chul on their team... you'd be crazy not to want him

The Pilgrim
2009-05-20, 07:44 AM
O-Chul would refuse. The OOTS isn't badass enough.

Asgardian
2009-05-20, 07:57 AM
I think its more likely that Azure city have a huge new statue in memorial to the memory of O'Chul

Even if the Order for the Stick are the ones that strike "the final bow", O'Chul is the ones that set up the conditions for victory by getting RedCloak of the field of battle and got his hands on Xylon's phylactery.

However, don't expect the destruction of the phylactery to go off without a bang

slayerx
2009-05-20, 08:05 AM
O-Chul would refuse. The OOTS isn't badass enough.

O'Chul doesn't get asked to join teams... teams ask to join O'Chul

Zael Zuran
2009-05-20, 08:17 AM
I think its more likely that Azure city have a huge new statue in memorial to the memory of O'Chul

Sadly, I agree. Besides it wouldn't work with the order. O-Chul is the most practical and level headed paladin we've been exposed to in the comic.

All I figure that means is that he'd attempt to redeem Belkar, and eventually resign himself to destroying Bitterleaf when his actions show him to be unrepentant.

No Belkar, no OOTS. Same goes for any of the order. Even dead Roy managed to remain a character whose story we followed. The irrevocable destruction of any of the characters by anything other than a Xykon, Redcloak, or Snarl classed adversary (heavily foreshadowed as lethal by the plot) would likely change the story in a contrived way. Realism rarely works good in story telling. Though it would be refreshing to one day see The Last Great Hope of the World slip in the shower or something. Have a drunk driver take them out. Just plain get sick. Something swift, erratic, and wholly anticlimactic.

Like I said, real life chaos is rarely helpful for crafting a compelling story. Reality is mean spirited and unfair as often as its wonderful.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-21, 03:34 AM
Outside of Belkar (who last saw him when he was paralysed) do they even know O-Chul is alive? Or what he has been up to?

Didn't Haley see O-Chul at the same time as Belkar? Wouldn't V be at least vaguely aware now?

No Belkar, no OOTS. Same goes for any of the order. Even dead Roy managed to remain a character whose story we followed. The irrevocable destruction of any of the characters by anything other than a Xykon, Redcloak, or Snarl classed adversary (heavily foreshadowed as lethal by the plot) would likely change the story in a contrived way.

So I'm guessing you didn't read anything into "And as for the elf - " or felt it was going to be equally contrived.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-21, 04:15 AM
Didn't Haley see O-Chul at the same time as Belkar? Wouldn't V be at least vaguely aware now?

Yes, they both saw him when he was having the tea party with MitD and Roy's corpse.

But when escaping in the earthquake Belkar threw O-Chul back to the MitD and then told Haley they had lost him since he fell back towards the monster.

So I guess it depends on whether either of them thinks he survived that (since they didn't know the MitD wasn't going to eat O-Chul. Belkar's dialogue seems to suggest that is what he thought would happen).

And V doesn't seem aware of anything at the moment.

WarriorTribble
2009-05-21, 05:27 AM
Unless a need arises, I doubt it. I think the OotS are like a dysfunctional family. The only way to join them isn't through badassery, but by forming social bonds.

Callista
2009-05-21, 08:31 AM
Wouldn't work. Paladin + Evil means something's got to give. The only way it worked with Miko is she had the loophole of Belkar's lead sheet, and was holding the OotS prisoner to begin with. O-Chul would have to part ways with the Order not very long after joining. Plus... he'd have to leave behind Azure City and its survivors. The man's dedicated his life to protecting them; he's not going to go off on a random adventure unless he's been ordered to and/or it's going to directly benefit the Azurites.

nysisobli
2009-05-21, 08:35 AM
On the bright side though I see o-chul being the snd in command of the pallys now =)

Gaiyamato
2009-05-21, 08:36 AM
Deathknight.
Thats all I'm saying.

One really bad-ass, seriously pissed but controlled, deathknight.

:P

petersohn
2009-05-21, 10:44 AM
The only one I can see joining the OOTS right now is Celia. Technically, she is in the OOTS right now, even if temporarily.

If O-Chul survives this fight, he will have better things to do than go adventuring. His duty is more of protecting Azure City (or help seizing it back) than destroying Xykon. If Team Evil ever leaves the city, they probably won't come back, and we probably won't see our favourite paladins any more.

ericgrau
2009-05-21, 10:58 PM
OotS might offer him a position or accept him in if he volunteers. But his primary duty is to the Azure City paladins and won't offer, plot-wise it's highly unlikely, and it's unlikely he'll even bump into OotS before they've left for the next gate.

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-05-22, 06:45 PM
No offence (I really mean this - none intended), but this gets asked every time any NPC gets sufficient badass time on screen. Yet it's never happened. I think the OotS is going to go on being the OotS.

Also, I prefer the idea of O-Chul being a lone badass. :smallbiggrin: Though I don't know how long he'll go on being one... :smallfrown: Still, the honour of a paladin is unbreakable even by death, so... :smallcool: Just hope Xykon doesn't Soul Bind him! :smalleek: :smallfurious:

ah, but this is where you are all wrong. You see, next to xykon (and the obvious'es like redcloak) no one has gotten anywhere near the amount of strips O-Chul has been in. he's been in...lets say...80. While just about every other NPC has been 20, tops.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-22, 06:51 PM
Yeah, O-Chul the paladin+the chaotic evil Belkar=either dead halfling or fallen paladin. You do the math.

Eldariel
2009-05-22, 06:54 PM
Yeah, O-Chul the paladin+the chaotic evil Belkar=either dead halfling or fallen paladin. You do the math.

Lead sheets solve that.

Arlion
2009-05-22, 07:20 PM
well....we dont really know if O-chul will actually survive...

Berserk Monk
2009-05-22, 07:26 PM
He survived this, so maybe... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0463.html)

Badgercloak
2009-05-23, 10:41 AM
O-Chul is bound by honor to return to Hinjo and serve him....so probly not. Though teaming up for a while is plausible.

Spoom
2009-05-23, 11:59 AM
OOTS are PCs.

O-Chul is not.

Teatime
2009-05-23, 12:25 PM
ah, but this is where you are all wrong. You see, next to xykon (and the obvious'es like redcloak) no one has gotten anywhere near the amount of strips O-Chul has been in. he's been in...lets say...80. While just about every other NPC has been 20, tops.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90191

I'm not entirely sure what comic you've been reading.

Half-Orc Rage
2009-05-24, 05:17 PM
That assumes O-Chul will survive this storyline. (potential spoilers below)

I think he will heroically sacrifice himself against Xykon and thus make V have an important character revelation.

FujinAkari
2009-05-24, 05:40 PM
No.

The OOTS' next move is to go to the next gate to keep Xykon from gaining access to a functional gate. O-chul has taken an oath specifically forbidding him from going to the other gates.

JonahFalcon
2009-05-24, 09:17 PM
The OOTS' lifespan isn't going to be much longer, for one. Belkar's supposed to breath his last breath, Durkon is supposed to die, and it seems Elan is the only one who will have a happy ending.

Crowbar
2009-05-25, 03:44 AM
Wouldn't work out, for reasons that have been stated before. I mean, you've got O-Chul, easily one of the more powerful and just better Paladins we've seen so far, and then you've got Belkar, who is so Chaotic Evil he probably bends time and space. It's like the original Odd Couple, except O-Chul kills Belkar.

That is the only possible outcome, by the way.

Kareasint
2009-05-25, 07:07 AM
I think you are missing the obvious here.

Belkar threw O'Chul back at the MitD. O'Chul cannot move but that does not mean he cannot hear. O'Chul will likely have already determined that Belkar is the evil little Halfling that he is based on what Belkar said while doing so.

Their next meeting is likely to result in the fulfillment of the Oracle's prediction that Belkar will die.