Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 17
SQ none
Feats Summon FamiliarC, Improved Initiative1
Skills Concentration +5, Spellcraft +5, Hide +11, Move Silently +7, Spot +3
Advancement by character class; Favored Class sorceror
Possessions none
CR 1
LA +0
This creature had the following scores before racial adjustments: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 15. It also has the following racial modifiers to skills: Hide +2, Move Silently +2, Spot +2.

Spells

0th level: Arcane Mark, Light, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Read Magic

1st level: Hold Portal, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant, Magic Missile

Crystalline are small animate gemstones, roughly the size of a halfling. They float off the ground between one and three feet, though they cannot levitate beyond that height effectively. They have no arms or legs, using magical attunement through their crystal bodies to create magical pseudopods. These pseudopods act as arms do, and can wield weaponry, wear rings, and allow the crystalline to use amulets.

However, crystalline cannot use most armor for two reasons: first, it interferes with their vision; and second, their bodies are not designed for armor use.

In addition to their spells, crystalline protect themselves with their ability to bend light into a focused beam. These beams deal 1d3 fire damage. Because of this ability, crystalline are also slightly resistant to fire. However, their construction makes them vulnerable to sonic effects.

Crystalline speak Crystalline and Common.

Cybren
2006-08-03, 01:45 PM
so.... a Crystaline barbarian monk.
Just wanted everyone to get that image in their heads.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 01:58 PM
I'm not even sure how that would work. I mean, I suppose they could mage-hand a kama or siangham (or hell, a sling; those're monk weapons too).

Cybren
2006-08-03, 02:02 PM
I think the LA is low. What with the total ability bonus of +4.

Also: how do they talk

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 02:05 PM
I think the LA is low. What with the total ability bonus of +4.

Also: how do they talk
They create vibrations inside their crystal structures to speak languages that require tongues. The Crystalline language, on the other hand, is spoken through a variety of whistles and movements. It is understandable and performable (albeit awkwardly) by other creatures.

As for the LA: They can't use armor or a weapon weighing more than 5 pounds, nor can they use rings, amulets, etc. I'd say that's a rather large drawback.

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-03, 02:51 PM
Actually, given they basically can't use ANY equipment (maybe a circlet resting on top of them?), I'd say it's fairly well balanced as a monster, and completely unsuitable for a PC. (A fair amount of PC effectiveness at higher levels is based off of their magic items, and the Crystalline is almost totally incapable of using such.)

I might suggest replacing Improved Initative with Eschew Materials - Mage Hand takes one standard action to cast, which means it's not very useful in the middle of a battle for getting out the material components for spells.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 03:02 PM
Actually, given they basically can't use ANY equipment (maybe a circlet resting on top of them?), I'd say it's fairly well balanced as a monster, and completely unsuitable for a PC. (A fair amount of PC effectiveness at higher levels is based off of their magic items, and the Crystalline is almost totally incapable of using such.)

I might suggest replacing Improved Initative with Eschew Materials - Mage Hand takes one standard action to cast, which means it's not very useful in the middle of a battle for getting out the material components for spells.
What about some sort of magical pseudopod (or two) instead of the mage hand ability?

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-03, 05:01 PM
Hm... that might work, though a fair amount of fluff will be needed to explain how floating crystals developed with magic pseudopods. *grins* But it does alllow for (sub-par perhaps) fighter/rogue/anything but caster builds with these guys. It'd also let them take advantage of skills like climb to go up surfaces that are taller then two to three feet above the next surface.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 05:10 PM
Hm... that might work, though a fair amount of fluff will be needed to explain how floating crystals developed with magic pseudopods. *grins* But it does alllow for (sub-par perhaps) fighter/rogue/anything but caster builds with these guys. It'd also let them take advantage of skills like climb to go up surfaces that are taller then two to three feet above the next surface.
Perhaps they originated in the Elemental Demiplane of Crystal?

Cybren
2006-08-03, 05:12 PM
Also: how do they perform somatic comps?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 05:13 PM
Also: how do they perform somatic comps?
Taken care of. They have pseudopods now, forged of light and magical energy.