PDA

View Full Version : Team Evil, The LG, & OOTS vs The Tomb of horrors.

Volkov
2009-05-20, 12:00 PM
Yep, they must go through the death trap that is the shining monument to the fact that Acererak is a complete d**che. The only change is that this is a mix of the original module, and the return to the tomb module. The last one alive wins. Or the one who can beat acererak wins. Also put into detail as to how the groups will deal with this nightmare. And how acererak will mock them as they die.
The Dungeon has some more rooms.
Lineup is.

OOTS: Roy, Celia, Non-spliced V, Julia, General Chang, Daigo, Kazumi, Durkon, Belkar, O-chul, Hinjo, Miko, Haley, Therkla, Lien, Blackwing, Mr.Scruffy, & Elan, as many azurite soldiers as hinjo, roy, chang, and elan can bring along with a leadership feat.
TLG: Nale, Pompey, Zz'dtri, Yokyok, Yikyik, Sabine, Leaky, Hilgya, Kabuto, Qarr, 5 ninjas, and Thog, and as many generic minions as Kabuto, Leaky, Nale, and Qarr can bring with the leadership feat.
TE: Xykon, Redcloak, Jirix, Tsusiko, the Hobgoblin General, Mother Black Dragon, Junior Black Dragon, 5 zombies, 5 hob goblins, Right-eye, the monster in the darkness, The Death Knight, The Hueceva, and the eye of FEAR and flame. with as many goblins, kobolds, lizard folk, bugbears, and goblins as redcloak, xykon, the hob goblin general, and MBD can bring with the leadership feat, as well as many undead as Tsusiko, Xykon, Redcloak, Jirix, and the MBD can command with spells and rebuking.

To boost Acererak's dungeon are, all twelve skull lords bumped up to 36 hit dice each, all with class levels, with the strongest amongst them named the skull king, with 10 levels in evoker with enchantment and illusion blocked, 10 levels in cleric with the deathless and undeath domain, 14 levels in true necromancer, and six levels in mystic theruge, all of them with a large deal of skeletal monsters such as baseline skeletons, Serpentirs, and Bone Spurs, and 4 Adamantine golems, and 4 mithral golems guarding the last room before the real Acererak, the Necromancers, huecevas, vampires, death knights, baatezu, hobgoblins, and liches that worship him, roughly 75 mummies spread around the dungeon, 10 morghs, 200 ghasts, ten level 15 ghosts of those who died angrily in this dungeon, 6 bodaks, and ten dread wraits where the statue with the orbs are. And to add insult to Injury is a level 20 sorcerer great wyrm Shadow dragon near the secret door that leads to that very, very, annoying secret room in a secret room where all three chests are booby trapped, with three shadesteel golems, ten dread wraiths, twenty four fire giant skeletons, eighteen reanimated megaraptor fossils, and a dozen fire giant zombies. Over two hundred skeletons. 10 iron golems with 10 fire elementals.

Acererak's chamber has a portal to the world of greyhawk.

This is due to Acererak building up his army since 1st edition, and wishes to conquer a new world for Vecna, he teleports his entire tomb and everything in a 100 mile radius of it into oots world not to far away from Girard's Gate.

The oversized skeleton where that chest is will be replaced with a Very Old Red Dragon Draconic Skeleton backed by four of those oversized skeletons, eight dragonbone golems, and 16 ogre skeletons.

Also we shall assume that Acererak is a level 21 necromancer, level 21 cleric of Vecna, with the Death and Magic Domains, and a level 14 true necromancer, as his stats are often rectonned endlessly. xykon will be assumed to be a level 26 sorcerer. Red cloak will be an assumed level 20, Jirix at level 11, Tsusiko a level 3 wizard/level 3 cleric/level 7 mystic theruge. Mother black dragon will be assumed to be a level 4 sorcerer. Celia I'll give 6 levels of sorcerer to for fairness. Otherwise use class & level geekery stats.

I'd love to see the witty banter between Xykon and Acererak. The debates between Acererak and Vaarsuvius, and the who's more devious arguements between Nale and Acererak. The feats of awesome by o-chul. The stupidity of the MITD. The Monologue by Redcloak/Hinjo/Roy when he's about to defeat Acererak. Roy's lecture on why he's fighting Acererak. Tsusiko's disturbing preferences becoming more apparent. And Belkar's gags in this.

Generally tell me how do you think this unholy alliance will act, down to their lines in this hell made even worse.

I would also love to see Roy/Redcloak constantly yelling at their team mates to watch their step or don't touch that treasure chest before they get themselves killed.

Bolstering the five morghs as the final line of Acererak's minions, are Vrakmul who has been risen as a lich, a level 32 necromancer with illusion and transumation blocked, and a level 5 archmage. Backed by a generic level 32 cleric and level 5 heirophant Hueceva, with the Deathless and Death domains, and a generic level 21 fallen paladin, level 16 blackguard, his mount, and his undead companion. Which should make him a stronger spell caster than Xykon.

The instant they get to Acererak's chamber, Eldrith's boss theme will play. At Acererak's chambers are five morghs, 25 skeletons, any remaining skull lords, and 10 zombies plus the trio of skeletal templated undead. If you want to know as to how the skull king acts, he acts like a douche of a king, and a very bossy one at that.

I beefed up the tomb especially the final room, after realizing the group is so large there would be too many of them to hit them all with a delayed blast fireball. And MBD would be able to shield the group from pretty much anything that needs an attack roll. Acererak's level is as high as it is to encourage teamwork between the three groups.

dancrilis
2009-05-20, 12:03 PM
Xykon waits outside the dungeon and kills the other groups before they even go in, then he claims victory subject to your conditions of last one standing wins, and then he goes off after the snarl.

Possibly taking a bit of time to nuke the dungeon from the sky first.

Volkov
2009-05-20, 12:09 PM
Xykon waits outside the dungeon and kills the other groups before they even go in, then he claims victory subject to your conditions of last one standing wins, and then he goes off after the snarl.

Possibly taking a bit of time to nuke the dungeon from the sky first.

If he tries that Acererak uses control undead on him and makes him a lieutenant. FOR EVER!!!!

Optimystik
2009-05-20, 12:10 PM
They would all die. I don't have much faith in Haley's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0187.html) trapfinding (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0036.html), and the Order has a tendency to run when in trouble - moving faster than a walk will get you murdered DEAD in ToH.

Zolem
2009-05-20, 12:23 PM
They would all die. I don't have much faith in Haley's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0187.html) trapfinding (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0036.html), and the Order has a tendency to run when in trouble - moving faster than a walk will get you murdered DEAD in ToH.

But oyu forgot one thing, Humor Powered Plot Armor! Tehy;d triger the traps but they would kill the puruing monsters instead of the OotS.

pendell
2009-05-20, 12:57 PM
Xykon and Redcloak would conquer the dungeon, because they'd bring along the hobgoblin army. They'd use the mooks to locate all the traps. "Okay .. walk down that hall. Tell me what happens. Right. Pit trap. NEXT! Goblin 2, Why don't you jump into that demon face? Goblin 3, what happens if you open that box?"

Doing this would allow them to identify and locate all the traps. It will then take time to disable the traps or simply bury them under the bodies of Mooks. The only real challenge I see is

Acerak the demilich himself. Soul-sucking gems and blasphemy every round? EPIC.

The problem with tomb of horrors is that it's a trap-based dungeon, not monster-based. It's only a threat as long as the party itself is taking the risks. When you have infinite waves of torchbearers or summoned monsters or henchmen or mooks to take the risks for you, much of the dungeon becomes far less threatening. Sacrifice ten thousand mooks to find, locate and neutralize the traps, keep Redcloak and Xykon in reserve for those high-level threats who are truly dangerous.

In fact , it's likely Xykon would continue sending hobgoblins to set off the traps after he
captured the dungeon ANYWAY, purely to assuage his boredom.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Volkov
2009-05-20, 01:03 PM
But oyu forgot one thing, Humor Powered Plot Armor! Tehy;d triger the traps but they would kill the puruing monsters instead of the OotS.

What about Team evil and the Linear guild?

Volkov
2009-05-20, 01:21 PM
Can someone think of the Dialogue between Xykon and Acererak as they fight? If the order does get to Acererak, they'll be making more head and yorrick jokes than you could shake a stick at. It would also bring bad memories to the revived eye of fear and flame. So try dialogue between them.

I am also curious as to what RC, Tsusiko, Nale, or Sabine would say.

And I would love to hear the endless debate between V and Acererak. The long winded speeches would put a brass dragon to shame.

Dagren
2009-05-20, 06:20 PM
Can someone think of the Dialogue between Xykon and Acererak as they fight?I would guess a lot of "get ahead" style puns. Or would that be too tasteless even for Xykon?

Cracklord
2009-05-20, 06:21 PM
Celia sues Acererak for custody of the tomb, winning and taking the tomb for the order.
Alternately, the MiTD walks through all the traps without even realising they are there and steps on Acererak by accident.
Tsukiko winds up in charge, convinced she's gone to heaven, due to a contrived premise.
Xykon and Acererak fight at first about who's the biggest badass, then who's got the coolest name, devestating the surrounding countryside until they both run out of spells.
O-Chul escapes and skewer's Acererak using naught but a steel bar he's pried from his cage and his own ridiculous constitution.
The Linear guildv all die in the first trap they run into due to Nale's chronic over planning.
One of these, anyway.

Cracklord
2009-05-20, 06:30 PM
Seeing I won the suprise round, I suppose I get a Headstart.
That's not funny.
Xykon would say something more along the lines of "Wow, your a real badass. I particularly admire the way you don't actually do anything, you just sit on your arse and wait for them to come to you. Oh wait, you don't even have an arse. Well while I'm out devestating the countryside, you sit in here and keep on looking at the wall over there."
"Please. Your little league. Just a scorceror compensating for his own failings by killing a few low level NPC's. I was feared before you were a glimmer in your father's eye."
"But your not feared anymore, let me tell you. Gods, look at all these traps. It's like you can't even get any new minions or something."
"Reliance on others is a weakness."
"Says the man who's done nothing but sit here for generations. I'm supprised you still even qualify as evil. True Neutral would be closer to the mark."
"Oh, and killing a few PC's and taking over a city is evil now? Do you have an idea how many PC's I've killed?"
"No. Don't particularly care, either. I mean, face it, people have only heard of you 'cause your boss is such a big noise. You yourself are just minion material. I'm evil because it's who I am, your sort of sissy 'cause even after all this time your still not out of Vecna's shadow. I mean even Redcloak here has achieved more then you."
"Fool, soon I will be a god!"
"Yeah? Well I'm packing a McGuffin that makes that look like a waterpistol and I didn't even need to waste a thousand years getting it. Besides, what if you do? You'll still just sit around doing not much of anything."
And so on.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-05-20, 06:47 PM
Actually, one of the key things to keep people from using "scry and die" tactics is the inability to go ethereal and having demons warping in and laying havoc. So keying in on the word "laying" may I present :sabine:? :smallbiggrin:

So now the LG can just avoid all the other traps and go straight to the tomb, then escape the same way.

The OotS would probably join the rest of the hapless adventurers who are slaughtered mercilessly.

Team Evil would definitely use Rob Kuntz's technique of sending in the mooks first, and save the big guns for important encounters.

Xykon vs. Acererak? All things considered, I'm seeing a Team Up rather than a duel. Sort of a Sith Lord/Apprentice thing, but much more evil than that mamby-pamby Darth Vader guy and his wimpy boss.

Cracklord
2009-05-20, 06:54 PM
Actually, one of the key things to keep people from using "scry and die" tactics is the inability to go ethereal and having demons warping in and laying havoc. So keying in on the word "laying" may I present :sabine:? :smallbiggrin:

So now the LG can just avoid all the other traps and go straight to the tomb, then escape the same way.

The OotS would probably join the rest of the hapless adventurers who are slaughtered mercilessly.

Team Evil would definitely use Rob Kuntz's technique of sending in the mooks first, and save the big guns for important encounters.

Xykon vs. Acererak? All things considered, I'm seeing a Team Up rather than a duel. Sort of a Sith Lord/Apprentice thing, but much more evil than that mamby-pamby Darth Vader guy and his wimpy boss.

No Acererak has his own plan, he wouldn't be interested in becoming Xykon's apprentice. And Xykon would never be able to work for anyone else. His ego would get in the way. As seen in Sod, Xykon in the workplace is far too much of a loose cannon to be worth the risk.

Though Acererak killed by Thog would be hillarious.:thog: thog going bowling, yay.
:xykon: There will be such a reckoning, barbarian.

Volkov
2009-05-20, 07:14 PM
It's hard to step out of Vecna's shadow when Vecna changed the vast majority of the multiverse to third edition while he had the power of a greater god.

Volkov
2009-05-20, 07:23 PM
While Acererak may be immune to most magic, if Xykon kills him, he'll be smashing the torso of the four armed gargoyle upside Acererak's head body. Until Acererak goes Kaput. Of course he would probably get hit with a lot of smite evil attacks, get slapped in the face by an undead bane weapon, and end up being in a debate with V, Recloak, and Xykon.

Undead Prince
2009-05-20, 07:44 PM
That's not funny.
Xykon would say something more along the lines of "Wow, your a real badass. I particularly admire the way you don't actually do anything, you just sit on your arse and wait for them to come to you. Oh wait, you don't even have an arse. Well while I'm out devestating the countryside, you sit in here and keep on looking at the wall over there."
"Please. Your little league. Just a scorceror compensating for his own failings by killing a few low level NPC's. I was feared before you were a glimmer in your father's eye."
"But your not feared anymore, let me tell you. Gods, look at all these traps. It's like you can't even get any new minions or something."
"Says the man who's done nothing but sit here for generations. I'm supprised you still even qualify as evil. True Neutral would be closer to the mark."
"Oh, and killing a few PC's and taking over a city is evil now? Do you have an idea how many PC's I've killed?"
"No. Don't particularly care, either. I mean, face it, people have only heard of you 'cause your boss is such a big noise. You yourself are just minion material. I'm evil because it's who I am, your sort of sissy 'cause even after all this time your still not out of Vecna's shadow. I mean even Redcloak here has achieved more then you."
"Yeah? Well I'm packing a McGuffin that makes that look like a waterpistol and I didn't even need to waste a thousand years getting it. Besides, what if you do? You'll still just sit around doing not much of anything."
And so on.

Replicated for posterity.

That was very Xykon.

Undead Prince
2009-05-20, 07:52 PM

If they're played adequately, they might have their own minions (unseen servants, constructs) who could scout & trigger traps. Durkon is handy with turn undead, V is perhaps wisened up by his nasty defeats, and Roy has a wicked anti-undead sword. Even Haley's sneak attacks can be made workable against the shambling corpses with a few choice spells. So, I'd say they'd have a fighting chance at least against the minions.

Oh, and send Julia + Celia in first.

I'm not sure that's even necessary... wouldn't divinations + teleports do the job? +Redcloak's turn undead and Xykon's Command Undead would come handy against all the necrophilia bait inside.

And you seriously don't foresee a duel over who's the apprentice? Or, as Xykon puts it, the b*tch?

Volkov
2009-05-20, 08:06 PM
If they're played adequately, they might have their own minions (unseen servants, constructs) who could scout & trigger traps. Durkon is handy with turn undead, V is perhaps wisened up by his nasty defeats, and Roy has a wicked anti-undead sword. Even Haley's sneak attacks can be made workable against the shambling corpses with a few choice spells. So, I'd say they'd have a fighting chance at least against the minions.

Oh, and send Julia + Celia in first.

I'm not sure that's even necessary... wouldn't divinations + teleports do the job? +Redcloak's turn undead and Xykon's Command Undead would come handy against all the necrophilia bait inside.

And you seriously don't foresee a duel over who's the apprentice? Or, as Xykon puts it, the b*tch?
Xykon's never really fought against an undead caster. So his favorite spell against fellow epic levelers will be useless. Although he'll quickly find that shatter harms Acererak pretty well. And then he'll probably spam it until the Wizard's dust. Although Acererak will probably mock him for becoming a Sorcerer, after Xykon's done explaining what a sorcerer is, as Acererak has been staring at the wall since 1st edition in this scenario.

Either he dies to the shatter spell, or he dies via his skull construct being smashed onto him until he breaks.

Texas_Ben
2009-05-20, 09:28 PM
Necessary? No. But as Xykon would be quick to point out, hilarious nevertheless.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 05:49 AM
Necessary? No. But as Xykon would be quick to point out, hilarious nevertheless.

How does one get attracted to the spawn of a stillborn god?

pendell
2009-05-21, 06:04 AM

Scry & Die? In the Tomb Of Horrors?

I don't recall anything specific to the module that protects against those magic, but I do remember it has the Ethereal Host which protects against ethereal intrusion, astral project,
wind walk, etc. I *think* it also prevents teleporting around, but I'm not sure.

It seems reasonable, though, that the Tomb would have some sort of protection against scrying. Otherwise decoy traps like the False Acerak or the two decoy entrances are completely useless.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 06:06 AM
Scry & Die? In the Tomb Of Horrors?

I don't recall anything specific to the module that protects against those magic, but I do remember it has the Ethereal Host which protects against ethereal intrusion, astral project,
wind walk, etc. I *think* it also prevents teleporting around, but I'm not sure.

It seems reasonable, though, that the Tomb would have some sort of protection against scrying. Otherwise decoy traps like the False Acerak or the two decoy entrances are completely useless.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
I think Acererak would have placed a huge nondetection field around the entire dungeon.

Cracklord
2009-05-21, 06:14 AM
OK, here we go. The linear guild is hampered by the fact that they have little experience working together, and in a fight all tend to go off and do their own thing. Not optimum in a place like the Tomb Of Horrors, let me tell you.
Pompey has a two round life expectancy MAX. This encounter is so inappropriate for him my language doesn't have words for it.
Yokyok and Yikyik are both out of their element. they are unoptimized to begin with, and against undead they wouldn't be useful as anything other then cannon fodder.
Kabuto is nonthreatening in a physical confrontation of any sort. He is a planner, and a schemer, but Nale is better at this anyway. He himself would be a hamper, perhaps of marginal use if used to co-ordinate the rest of the team.
Leaky has the personal power to last a while, but would get cut down. He is a fairly strong character, but has neither the wisdom nor logical ability to make it through. His trees would serve as useful damage soakers, however, which is not to be sniffed at.
Qarr and 5 ninjas could avoid plenty of the traps with ease, serve as cannon fodder, scout locations and the like. Unlikely to have much effect on the encounters themselves, but likely useful in avoiding them or deactivating the minor traps.
Hilgya may or may not be useful. She seems to be reasonably competent, and could actually be quite effective against undead. Which is, you know important in such a dungeon. Although perhaps she should be saved for healing...
Thog is both an accident waiting to happen, and a walking Deux Ex Machina that could conceivably defeat Acererak without any fan complaint. He's not likely to be as effective against high level adversaries as he is against tonnes of mooks, but would be an excellent damage soaker.
Zz'dtri would be potentially their best asset. He/She/it was useful in the dungeons of Durokan and seemed to have a very high complement of spells. Potentially very useful.
Nale and Sabine. Nale is so unoptimized it makes me want to cry, and all his classes are all but useless in the situation he will be presented with. He is not effective against undead.
Sabine's favorite attack channels negative energy (Ouch), but her plane shift ability, flight and other spells would actually make her and Zz'Dtri a formidable pair.
In conclusion, it depends o the circumstances. Them going in they would die horribly, Given Time to plan, they might have a chance, assuming the plan doesn't become overcomplicated. However, they have no chance whatsoever of killing Acererak. Their only chance of victory would be to pick the other characters off one by one, and hope the traps and monsters get the rest.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 06:23 AM
So the LG is screwed.
How about OOTS and TE?

Cracklord
2009-05-21, 06:32 AM
I don't pretend to know why some of these are in the lineup, but I'll play the hand I'm dealt.
Celia would be in her element, as undead are not alive and are irredeemably evil. She would have Roy nearby to bring out her better side and her subtler magic would be useful to backup V.
Vaarsuvius would be Vaarsuvius.
Julia would not be worth bothering to bring along, even more so then Pompey.
From what I've seen of General Chang's capabilities, cannon fodder.
Daigo and Kazumi. Too low level to have sufficient impact. Useful either as flankers or as cannon fodder, or perhaps for witty banter.
Belkar. Hilarious, he's in a dungeon with nothing to kill besides non-inteligent undead and tonnes of traps. However, this is not the sort of fight he is built for.
Haley/Therkla, detact's traps and scouts. Neither of them make effective combatants against lots of skeletons.
Elan would be back to good old bard song, as mindless skeletons wouldn't understand his puns.
Roy. Best choice of leader, his greatsword is very effective against undead, and is the only one all the rest would listen to. And has a lot of hitpoints.
Durkon. Cleric. 'Nuff said.
O-chul, Hinjo, Miko. Paladins are built to kill the undead, and these three a pretty high level. O-Chul can also function as a shield if necessary.
Much better chances of making it to the demilich. With sufficient buffage and The paladins plus Roy all hitting Acererak have a chance to knock him down, but chances are he'd kill them all before the touched him.
With marginal plot armor, I give them one in twenty chance.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 06:35 AM
I don't pretend to know why some of these are in the lineup, but I'll play the hand I'm dealt.
Celia would be in her element, as undead are not alive and are irredeemably evil. She would have Roy nearby to bring out her better side and her subtler magic would be useful to backup V.
Vaarsuvius would be Vaarsuvius.
Julia would not be worth bothering to bring along, even more so then Pompey.
From what I've seen of General Chang's capabilities, cannon fodder.
Daigo and Kazumi. Too low level to have sufficient impact. Useful either as flankers or as cannon fodder, or perhaps for witty banter.
Belkar. Hilarious, he's in a dungeon with nothing to kill besides non-inteligent undead and tonnes of traps. However, this is not the sort of fight he is built for.
Haley/Therkla, detact's traps and scouts. Neither of them make effective combatants against lots of skeletons.
Elan would be back to good old bard song, as mindless skeletons wouldn't understand his puns.
Roy. Best choice of leader, his greatsword is very effective against undead, and is the only one all the rest would listen to. And has a lot of hitpoints.
Durkon. Cleric. 'Nuff said.
O-chul, Hinjo, Miko. Paladins are built to kill the undead, and these three a pretty high level. O-Chul can also function as a shield if necessary.
Much better chances of making it to the demilich. With sufficient buffage and The paladins plus Roy all hitting Acererak have a chance to knock him down, but chances are he'd kill them all before the touched him.
With marginal plot armor, I give them one in twenty chance.

I picked anyone who fought side by side with the order. Although it would be hilarious to see Miko give her big speech while smiting Acererak.

Now for team evil.

Cracklord
2009-05-21, 06:46 AM
Team Evil.
Xykon The only one with any chance of taking on Acererak. Likely to breaze through, however the fact that he has never bothered to read the rules for special abilities would be a hamper, at least at first. At the level you give him, his only concern would be some of the traps, but hordes of minions solve that little problem.
Redcloak He might be able to turn some of the undead to his side, and early on would be at least as effective as Xykon. However, he couldn't even try to overcome Acererak's turn resistance or magic resistance, so towards the end would be demoted to healer.
Jirix would be able to back Redcloak up, but not much else. Most of the badguys are way beyond his league.
Tsukiko has an... affinity with the undead which could prove useful. Also, lots of area of effect spells and damage spells is just the support they need.
the Hobgoblin General. Dunno. Probably canon fodder.
Mother Black Dragon Well, a red dragon would be preferable, but a dragon is a dragon. If only she didn't seem to specialize in necromancy...
Junior Black Dragon. Not enough of a threat. Useful as support.
5 hob goblins they set off the traps, then are brought back as zombies.
5 zombies. They set of the traps, then cycled back as zombies. Are, tis a vicious cycle.
Right-eye. Due to his nice knife, he can sneak attach the undead. Don't mess with him.
the monster in the darkness could possibly solo this dungeon, at least to Acererak.
The Death Knight, the Hueceva and the eye of FEAR and flame. Acererak has stronger undead. Support melee/spellcasting.
Team Evil would be able to make it through the tomb, the important members relatively unscarred. as to actually killing Acererak? Dunno. Maybe. Still, they seem to be the winners of this particular test.
Incidentally, this would be a lot of fun to roleplay. If you can find another two players, set it up on the roleplay board.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 06:49 AM
Team Evil.
Xykon The only one with any chance of taking on Acererak. Likely to breaze through, however the fact that he has never bothered to read the rules for special abilities would be a hamper, at least at first. At the level you give him, his only concern would be some of the traps, but hordes of minions solve that little problem.
Redcloak He might be able to turn some of the undead to his side, and early on would be at least as effective as Xykon. However, he couldn't even try to overcome Acererak's turn resistance or magic resistance, so towards the end would be demoted to healer.
Jirix would be able to back Redcloak up, but not much else. Most of the badguys are way beyond his league.
Tsukiko has an... affinity with the undead which could prove useful. Also, lots of area of effect spells and damage spells is just the support they need.
the Hobgoblin General. Dunno. Probably canon fodder.
Mother Black Dragon Well, a red dragon would be preferable, but a dragon is a dragon. If only she didn't seem to specialize in necromancy...
Junior Black Dragon. Not enough of a threat. Useful as support.
5 hob goblins they set off the traps, then are brought back as zombies.
5 zombies. They set of the traps, then cycled back as zombies. Are, tis a vicious cycle.
Right-eye. Due to his nice knife, he can sneak attach the undead. Don't mess with him.
the monster in the darkness could possibly solo this dungeon, at least to Acererak.
The Death Knight, the Hueceva and the eye of FEAR and flame. Acererak has stronger undead. Support melee/spellcasting.
Team Evil would be able to make it through the tomb, the important members relatively unscarred. as to actually killing Acererak? Dunno. Maybe. Still, they seem to be the winners of this particular test.
Incidentally, this would be a lot of fun to roleplay. If you can find another two players, set it up on the roleplay board.

The abyssal blast would be useful against the Shadow dragon, who would be the third strongest monster short of Acererak and the Adamantine Golem, especially since it has undead near it to bolster with it's uber cheap 8 negative levels breath attack.

Cracklord
2009-05-21, 06:51 AM
Missed the shadow dragon in the lineup. Sorry about that.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 06:54 AM
Missed the shadow dragon in the lineup. Sorry about that.

I would see a witty banter between mother black dragon and the shadow dragon, while the rest dealt with it's undead minions. Although the Shadow dragon is a great wyrm, and she is a mere ancient dragon. Although it has a very slight chance of ending in forced courtship. Useless though as great wyrms cannot reproduce. Probably ends with a swift and brutal neckbite.

Jaysyn
2009-05-21, 08:23 AM
Useless though as great wyrms cannot reproduce.

I didn't know that. Is that in the Draconomicon or something?

Volkov
2009-05-21, 12:49 PM
I didn't know that. Is that in the Draconomicon or something?

Yes. Ancient is the last age category in which female dragons can reproduce. Wyrm is the last age category in which males can reproduce. So ABD would have had a fairly short window of opportunity to mate, although reaching ancient or wyrm is a great act of prestige amongst dragons and garuntees mates.

Volkov
2009-05-21, 07:22 PM
That's not funny.
And so on.
Woah are you rich in disguise, you captured Xykon's personality perfectly!

Cracklord
2009-05-21, 08:06 PM
Thanks. Though I feel I was taking the one joke a bit too far.

Well, your right. The only way they could possibly do it now is work together. Which is not going to happen.

Volkov
2009-05-22, 05:52 AM
Thanks. Though I feel I was taking the one joke a bit too far.

Well, your right. The only way they could possibly do it now is work together. Which is not going to happen.

Could a skull lord control a lich since Skull lords rule over skeletal undead?

Volkov
2009-05-22, 10:46 AM
So any tips for starting something on the roleplay board?

Haarkla
2009-05-22, 04:42 PM
This is a great thread.

I would write a scenario only I dont own Tomb of Horrors, and I dont want to look through the pdf I case I ever play through it (I dont think it would suit my DMing style).

I do own two modules however, and I shall write a scenario for one. Any preference between The Order of the Stick; Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (lvl 10) or The Linear Guild and the Tomb of Abysthor?

Cracklord
2009-05-22, 04:57 PM
Get a couple of people who are already interested. Rewrite the first post, then add in a post about why each of the organizations are there. Then get someone to play each team (Because there are too many characters for one player to play each guy). I suggest you focus more on the roleplay aspect then the Dungeons and dragons aspect.
Oh, And I'll play the linear guild.

Volkov
2009-05-22, 05:34 PM
Can you do Redcloak and roy's banter with Acererak, and Nale/Leaky/Thog if possible? You're amazing at being Xykon.

Cracklord
2009-05-22, 05:43 PM
I suppose I could play Team Evil.
Anyway, here's the premise.
This tomb is more or less the way you said it. Xykon is going for it because it was dropped right on Kraggor's gate (Or Girards, whichever you think). His objective is: Kill Acererak (Lich's don't share). They are the last to arrive.
The Order of The Stick arrive under the misapprehension that Acererak is actually Xykon. First to arrive, reinforced by several paladins and minions. Objective: Stop the gate from falling into Xykon's hands, whatever it takes.
The Linear guild have discovered Acererak's plan (Absorb all the souls of the pure and good and used their combined energy to become a god), and Nale is going to try and redirect it to empower him. Putting 'The Band back together,' they arrive an hour after The Order has got in.
Alternative continuity (naturally), this occurs if Xykon went for Kraggor's gate instead of Azure City.
OK, there should be three entrances (So they don't all kill each other before even beginning the adventure), and lets just say The MiTD is a Large Tarrasque with all the base statistics.

Volkov
2009-05-22, 05:46 PM
I suppose I could play Team Evil.
Anyway, here's the premise.
This tomb is more or less the way you said it. Xykon is going for it because it was dropped right on Kraggor's gate (Or Girards, whichever you think). His objective is: Kill Acererak (Lich's don't share). They are the last to arrive.
The Order of The Stick arrive under the misapprehension that Acererak is actually Xykon. First to arrive, reinforced by several paladins and minions. Objective: Stop the gate from falling into Xykon's hands, whatever it takes.
The Linear guild have discovered Acererak's plan (Absorb all the souls of the pure and good and used their combined energy to become a god), and Nale is going to try and redirect it to empower him. Putting 'The Band back together,' they arrive an hour after The Order has got in.
Alternative continuity (naturally), this occurs if Xykon went for Kraggor's gate instead of Azure City.
OK, there should be three entrances (So they don't all kill each other before even beginning the adventure), and lets just say The MiTD is a Large Tarrasque with all the base statistics.

I meant the dialogue thing like you did with Xykon, that was awesome. But that was a great premise. I usually need a day or so to think of a good premise.

Cracklord
2009-05-22, 05:53 PM
Oh right. Sure thing then.

Volkov
2009-05-22, 05:55 PM
Oh right. Sure thing then.

I'm a slow thinker, probably because my intuition is nigh nonexistent.

Cracklord
2009-05-22, 06:04 PM
So, lets try and get some more people interested then.

Volkov
2009-05-22, 07:13 PM
So, lets try and get some more people interested then.

I found one. Haarkla.

Volkov
2009-05-22, 07:26 PM
So not so sound demanding, what would the witty banter between redcloak and Acererak be like?

Cracklord
2009-05-23, 01:06 AM
There are some things that have to happen. For one, Acererak has to attempt to use Belkar in the process (He needs pure souls). Give me heads up when you start this thing, OK?

Well, here's my best try. Redcloak and Acererak.
"So, the lich has sent his minion to fight me."
"Well, it's more because he figures your a waste of his time, and I'm not going to argue with him."
"You should get on your knees and beg for mercy."
"Thanks, but I think I'll stand. I've seen some pretty scary things, and a floating head doesn't really cover it."
"Do you know who I am?"
"Some two-bit overlord with delusions of adequacy? I mean this whole setup is pretty amateurish. All this big architecture and statues. And big, impressive monsters. Reads like a second-rate with something to prove. What are you trying to compensate for? Besides, you know, everything."
"I could end you! Easily."
"You try and do that."
"What can you possibly do against me?"
"Well for one thing, I can scratch my nose."

Acererak and Roy.
"I know the secrets of the Cosmos! I have conquered creation, death itself and my Master has transcended mortality itself. I know things that would break your mind..."
"Well I can't do any of that. I'm just a big, dumb fighter. My powers are limited to a simple sharp peice of metal, but I can keep hitting you over and over again, and if you keep getting disrupted it looks like soon you'll just be a skull with an annoying personality and some second-class jibes."
"Do you really want to send this little... confrontation to that other shore? Well so be it."
"Wow, you turned ethereal. Didn't see that one coming. I wonder what I'll do now... Oh wait, I know. I'll get my friend over here to dispel it. Friend. Don't suppose you know what that is."
"That's what your going with? Dispel magic? Please. Make it Disjunction. I still wouldn't care, but at least it might be impressive."
"Damn."
"Tell me, honestly, how the hell did you get this far."

"So your the owner of this failed attempt at gothic architecture responsible for the decline in property values. Thought you'd be taller."
"Right. Part of me wants to know how the hell you made it this far, but the rest of me acknowleges that I would probably be appalled by the answer."
"thog found sneaky way!"
"Regardless, this over. You can't hope to match me."
"I don't need to. My plan is far subtler then that."
"And now you engage me in pointless banter while the plan is carried out?"
"...Something like that."
"I should probably just kill you then."
"I dare you to try. It won't turn out quite like you expect."
"You don't get it. You are nothing. Filler material, while the real villains aren't working. Your just a waste of my time. And your bluffing with no cards at all."

Volkov
2009-05-23, 11:49 AM
There are some things that have to happen. For one, Acererak has to attempt to use Belkar in the process (He needs pure souls). Give me heads up when you start this thing, OK?

Well, here's my best try. Redcloak and Acererak.
"So, the lich has sent his minion to fight me."
"Well, it's more because he figures your a waste of his time, and I'm not going to argue with him."
"You should get on your knees and beg for mercy."
"Thanks, but I think I'll stand. I've seen some pretty scary things, and a floating head doesn't really cover it."
"Do you know who I am?"
"Some two-bit overlord with delusions of adequacy? I mean this whole setup is pretty amateurish. All this big architecture and statues. And big, impressive monsters. Reads like a second-rate with something to prove. What are you trying to compensate for? Besides, you know, everything."
"I could end you! Easily."
"You try and do that."
"What can you possibly do against me?"
"Well for one thing, I can scratch my nose."

Acererak and Roy.
"I know the secrets of the Cosmos! I have conquered creation, death itself and my Master has transcended mortality itself. I know things that would break your mind..."
"Well I can't do any of that. I'm just a big, dumb fighter. My powers are limited to a simple sharp peice of metal, but I can keep hitting you over and over again, and if you keep getting disrupted it looks like soon you'll just be a skull with an annoying personality and some second-class jibes."
"Do you really want to send this little... confrontation to that other shore? Well so be it."
"Wow, you turned ethereal. Didn't see that one coming. I wonder what I'll do now... Oh wait, I know. I'll get my friend over here to dispel it. Friend. Don't suppose you know what that is."
"That's what your going with? Dispel magic? Please. Make it Disjunction. I still wouldn't care, but at least it might be impressive."
"Damn."
"Tell me, honestly, how the hell did you get this far."

"So your the owner of this failed attempt at gothic architecture responsible for the decline in property values. Thought you'd be taller."
"Right. Part of me wants to know how the hell you made it this far, but the rest of me acknowleges that I would probably be appalled by the answer."
"thog found sneaky way!"
"Regardless, this over. You can't hope to match me."
"I don't need to. My plan is far subtler then that."
"And now you engage me in pointless banter while the plan is carried out?"
"...Something like that."
"I should probably just kill you then."
"I dare you to try. It won't turn out quite like you expect."
"You don't get it. You are nothing. Filler material, while the real villains aren't working. Your just a waste of my time. And your bluffing with no cards at all."
The "I can scratch my nose" thing would be a hilarious insult to a skull with no hands or a nose.

Volkov
2009-05-26, 10:13 AM
Please wait while I am committing various crimes against sapient life doing some much needed maintenance on this thread.