PDA

View Full Version : New ???itP Contest Idea...any interest?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-20, 02:25 PM
So, we've got VT's Monster Competition, and ErrantX's Prestige Class Competition, but I can't help but feel that...well...everything else is missing.

Would there be any interest in any of the following, if I were to start one up? Also, feel free to suggest things.

-Feat Chain Contest
-Spell/Power/Maneuver Contest
-Base Class Contest
-Item Contest
-Adventure Idea Contest
-Location Contest
-NPC Contest

Or, of course...

-???? Contest: a contest that changes what's being designed and the theme each time (or cycles through a few of those mentioned) to give us a place to design everything not already included in the current contests. Maybe one week it's Dream-based spells, the next is Melee feats, then Design-an-Item, then back to spells...but Undead-related spells this time.

Any of those sound interesting?

RTGoodman
2009-05-20, 02:29 PM
You know, Paizo's RPG SuperStar contest would be a cool model. Do a tournament-style homebrew contest. In round one, you'd design an item, for instance. Round two, some spells or maneuvers or feats or something. Round three, a prestige class. Round four, a full NPC. Round five, a site-based adventure using what you've designed. Each round, fewer people get through, based on votes from either organizers or the general populace.

That would necessitate a lot of participation, though, and I don't know how much you'd get for such a project.

Bulwer
2009-05-20, 02:33 PM
I loved reading through Paizo's big pool of wondrous item entries in that contest; I think that would be fun.

The Tygre
2009-05-20, 03:05 PM
Ooh! Let's do Epic Spells! There's no possible way that can be abused or screw up.

ErrantX
2009-05-20, 03:34 PM
I would say either a revolving contest of whatever the contest administrator wanted to do, or I'd say go with a base class contest.

My 2 cents,
-X

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 03:34 PM
There was a base class contest - which, incidentally, I totally won - but it crashed and burned. May I suggest an item-based contest? You could open up with artifacts :P

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-20, 07:59 PM
Hmmm...what about a new take on it?

Variations on a Theme, if you will. Each contest offers a theme, and homebrewers may submit anything relating to the theme, be it a spell, item, domain, feat chain, class, prestige class, or anything else they care to name.

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 08:01 PM
That could very well be fun; which reminds me, I was planning to run a Villain contest at some point.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 08:06 PM

Variations on a Theme, if you will. Each contest offers a theme, and homebrewers may submit anything relating to the theme, be it a spell, item, domain, feat chain, class, prestige class, or anything else they care to name.

I wholeheartedly approve of this message.

Also - Children. They are posted. So yeah.

RTGoodman
2009-05-20, 08:42 PM

That sounds like a really cool idea. You'd just need to decide how it's judged/officiated, and come up with a cool name. :smalltongue:

LordZarth
2009-05-20, 09:36 PM
I once had an idea for a contest where the first vote(s) were to, as you mentioned above, decide what the topic of he vote-up would be. Then, at conclusion of the parameters, ANYONE could submit an entry. After a specified period of time, we would vote on which ones where the winners. So, like three ideas in one.

Is this a good idea?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-20, 09:53 PM
That sounds like a really cool idea. You'd just need to decide how it's judged/officiated, and come up with a cool name. :smalltongue:

By popular vote, just like the rest. And, with that, the Homebrew Shuffle contest is under way! :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2009-05-20, 10:51 PM
There was an item contest, but I think it might be worth another shot some time.

ErrantX
2009-05-20, 10:57 PM
There was a base class contest - which, incidentally, I totally won - but it crashed and burned. May I suggest an item-based contest? You could open up with artifacts :P

I'd be down with an artifact contest. Come up with history for the item and everything. I like that.

-X

LordZarth
2009-05-23, 03:38 PM
So, what do you think of the idea of a "Vote up a Contest"?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-23, 03:53 PM
Well, it's not a bad idea, but I decided to give everyone a little more leeway and make subsequent contests faster, by giving them the opportunity to submit ANY kind of homebrew (spell, race, item, class, and so forth), so long as it relates to the specified theme. We'll see if it catches on. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2009-05-24, 12:23 AM
That could very well be fun; which reminds me, I was planning to run a Villain contest at some point.
Speaking of, is VUAV ever coming back? :smalltongue: