PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Ravenloft Campaign [Spoilers]

Cute_Riolu
2009-05-20, 04:14 PM
Okay, so we're into the game a fair bit. We've just fought the ghost things and met the crossroads paladin guy, and are going on to Madam Eva.

What I'm looking for is advice to actually surviving the experience. Our party is composed of a human cleric, a halfling warlock, a warforged artificer (that's me!), a warforged fighter, a human paladin (The one from the adventure, Ashlyn or whatever), and a goliath barbarian.

Rhiannon87
2009-05-20, 05:06 PM
Are you going to meet Eva for the tarot card reading? (I very recently wrapped up this module in one of my games... lots of fun. Scary as hell, but lots of fun.) If you are, then it shouldn't turn into combat. Unless you do something stupid, like attack the Vistani for no special reason.

Your party seems okay, having a cleric and Ashlyn around will be useful for the anti-undead features, and having lots of tank-types is also handy.

It's hard to provide too much advice on this without a) spoiling things and b) knowing your DM. This is a pretty variable module, with the BBEG's motivations and the results of the tarot reading and whatnot.

Cute_Riolu
2009-05-20, 05:45 PM
Nah, we're going to Eva to find out about the holy symbol used by the former lord of the town manse, now deceased.

That's troubling, though. Stupid is our party's specialty!

Mostly? I'm looking for things that might be useful to craft, things to look out for (general), things of a nature that an 18 Intelligence character might know! xD

Rhiannon87
2009-05-20, 06:15 PM
Nah, we're going to Eva to find out about the holy symbol used by the former lord of the town manse, now deceased.

That's troubling, though. Stupid is our party's specialty!

Mostly? I'm looking for things that might be useful to craft, things to look out for (general), things of a nature that an 18 Intelligence character might know! xD

You just started the game, didn't you. :smallbiggrin: Oh, you're in for some fun. I don't want to give away too much... Crafting, I'd say things that are silvered. Any kind of silvered weapon will be handy. Look out for undead. I can't really say much else without giving away too much of the story. It's a tough but very fun module. Good luck!

EDIT: Our party is pretty stupid, too, and we mostly survived in one piece. The only player who died permanently in Barovia was deceased because the player left. Then again, our DM was pretty generous with his system of "mulligans" for death.

Cute_Riolu
2009-05-20, 06:20 PM
We lost two to the Circle of Death. :P

Nohwl
2009-05-20, 06:47 PM
this probably doesn't need said, but don't split up the party, and try and save some of the people that are fighting against the zombies (or whatever). oh, and don't kill each other.

i tried dming this, and my group couldn't finish it. (the entire group was just doomed from the beginning. there was a wizard who thought friendly fire was acceptable and didn't hesitate to fireball group members (and kill them), if it meant hurting the zombies, a psion who thought 2d4 damage was good at level 6, a ninja who was almost never showed up, a ranger who immediately split from the party, and a fighter/barbarian dmpc.) i'm pretty much done with that group.

the wizard killed 4 or 5 important npcs and players total (and died numerous times because he never bothered to run from the zombies), the ranger died because he tried fighting an encounter alone, the psion died because of the wizard, and the barbarian died because of the wizard. the ninja was the only one who lived and that was mostly because he wasn't there. i removed the cost for resurrection and most of the penalties after the first few deaths.