PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tired of Being Everything? Then Be Everything Else. (PEACH)

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-20, 09:23 PM
I started designing this prestige class to be a Psionic version of the Chameleon, but it rapidly became much more than that.

Every man has infinite potential, but too often it remains hidden. It's once you unlock that potential that anything is possible.
-Terr Jerim, Ki Chameleon

The ki chameleon is a master of adaptation and self-perfection. By focusing inward, they are capable of unlocking and unleashing a fundamental potential that lies within, changing their capabilities to overcome whatever challenges await that day.

Pre-Requisites:
Race: Human, or a race that grants a power point reserve.
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Autohypnosis 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks, Psicraft 4 ranks.
Feat: Open Minded

The Ki Chameleon
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|PP/Day|Powers Known|Maximum Power Level Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|Ability Focus 1/day (+2)|8|2|2nd

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|Bonus Feat|14|3|2nd

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|Mimic Class Feature 1/day|20|3|3rd

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+1|Ability Boon +2|30|4|3rd

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+1|Ability Focus 2/day (+4)|39|4|4th

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+2|Mimic Class Feature 2/day|51|5|4th

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+2|Ability boon +4, double aptitude|63|5|5th

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+2|Rapid refocus|79|6|5th

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+3|Mimic class feature 3/day|95|6|6th

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+3|Ability boon +6, aptitude focus 3/day (+4)|115|7|6th[/table]

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Autohpynosis, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, and Use Psionic Device.

The ki chameleon’s class features allow you to adopt a variety of roles, from steely-eyed martial adept to a powerful psionic manifester to a canny infiltrator.
You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. You can use your bonus feat to qualify for such options, but if you change the feat, you suffer the normal drawbacks for no longer meeting a prerequisite or requirement.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You gain proficiency with all simple weapons and with all forms of armor, including shields (but not tower shields).

Aptitude Focus (Ex): Once per day, you can select one of five areas upon which to focus your ever-shifting talents. After meditating for 1 hour, you gain the chosen abilities for 24 hours or until you change your aptitude focus. An aptitude focus ability is usable once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 5th level, and three times per day at 10th level.
At 5th level, you can change your aptitude focus one time per day, and at 10th level you can change your aptitude focus two times per day.

Incarnum Focus: You gain the ability to shape soul melds which are drawn from the Incarnate soul meld list (see Page 20 of Magic of Incarnum). You may shape 2 soul melds per day and gain essentia equal to ½ your class level. At level 5 you may shape 4 soul melds per day. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on concentration checks and a +2 bonus to fortitude saves. These bonuses increase to +4 at 5th level.

Mantel Focus: You gain access to one psionic mantel of your choice, plus one mantel for every 3 class levels (max 4 at level 9), gaining the granted ability associated with those mantels as well as the ability to manifest the psionic powers from those mantels (see page 5 of the Complete Psionic). You manifest these powers just as an Ardent does. Your powers known and power points per day are noted on Table: The Ki Chameleon. You gain bonus power points for a high wisdom score, just as an ardent does. Your manifester level is equal to twice your class level. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (psionics) checks, Knowledge (religion) checks and psicraft checks and a +2 bonus on Will saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Martial Focus: You gain proficiency with all martial weapons. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls, a +2 bonus to martial lore checks and intimidate checks, and a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves. At 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Monastic Focus: You gain the monk’s unarmed strike ability and ki strike ability (see page 41 of the Player's Hand Book). Your monk level is equal to your class level for unarmed strike damage. You also gain a +2 bonus to balance, jump and tumble checks, a +2 dodge bonus to AC, and a +2 bonus to Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves. These bonuses increase to +4 at 5th level.

Psionic Focus: You gain the ability to manifest psionic powers, which may be chosen from any power list. You manifest these powers just as a psion does. You may choose a different set of powers known each time you gain this focus, but you may only select one power of the highest power level available to you. Your powers known and power points per day are noted on Table: The Ki Chameleon. You gain bonus power points for a high Intelligence score, just as a psion does. Your manifester level is equal to twice your class level. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (psionics) checks and psicraft checks and a +2 bonus on Will saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Stalker Focus: You gain trap finding, poison use (see page 8 of Complete Adventurer), a climb speed equal to your land speed, a +2 competence bonus on Disable Device, Disguise, Hide, Move Silently and Open Lock checks and a +2 bonus on Reflex saves. At 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Bonus Feat (Ex): At 2nd level, you gain a bonus feat. You must meet the prerequisites for this feat. At the start of each day, you can choose to change your bonus feat to any other feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Mimic Class Feature: At 3rd level, you gain the ability to mimic a certain class feature possessed by other characters. Once per day, you can use any of the class features described below. At 6th level, you can use this ability twice per day (either to mimic the same class feature on two different occasions or two different class features at separate times). At 9th level, you can use this ability three times per day.

Chakra Bind: You may bind a single soul meld to one of your chakras, granting you new powers based on the soulmeld and the chakra chosen (see page 21 of Magic of Incarnum). The chakra remains bound for 10 minutes/class level or until you change your aptitude focus from Incarnum.

Ghost Step (Su): As a swift action, you may become either invisible or ethereal for 1 round (see the ninja ability page 8 of Complete Adventurer).

Martial Strike (Ex): You can initiate a martial strike from one of the following disciplines: Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Setting Sun. Your Ki Chameleon levels count as initiator class levels for the purposes of determining the initiator level of the strike and which strikes you qualify for. You need not meet any other prerequisite for the strike beyond initiator level.

Psychic Aura (Su): You gain the psychic aura ability of one mantel you currently have access to (see the Divine Mind class feature, page 10 of the Complete Psionic). The range of your aura is 10 feet for every two class levels, and lasts 1 round/class level.

Psychic Strike (Ex): As a move action, you may charge your weapon with psychic energy. This effect deals an extra 1d8 points of damage per 3 class levels to the next living, nonmindless target you successfully hit. Creatures immune to mind-affecting effects are immune to psychic strike damage. (Unlike the rogue’s sneak attack, the psychic strike is not precision damage and can affect creatures otherwise immune to extra damage from critical hits or more than 30 feet away, provided they are living, nonmindless creatures not immune to mind-affecting effects.)

Wholeness of Body (Su): As a standard action, you may focus your ki to heal your own wounds. By activating this ability, you heal up to 2x your character level in hit points.

Ability Boon (Ex): At 4th level, when choosing an aptitude focus, you also gain a +2 competence bonus to an ability score of your choice. This bonus lasts until you change your aptitude focus. At 7th level this bonus improves to +4, and at 10th level to +6.

Double Aptitude (Ex): At 7th level, you can adopt two aptitude focuses in the same amount of time it previously took for you to adopt one. For example, you could adopt both the martial focus and the incarnum focus to mimic a soulborn, or the monastic focus and psionic focus to mimic a psionic fist. You can’t adopt the same aptitude focus twice simultaneously. You can still only adopt as many focuses per day as indicated by your aptitude focus ability.

Rapid Refocus (Ex): At 8th level, you gain the power to change your aptitude focus in only 10 minutes.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-21, 10:33 AM
I'd especially appreciate comments on the incarnum and psionic sections. I wasn't sure if incarnum was the right choice for this class, or if I should have used a simpler mechanic. Also not sure if power points are right for the psionic mode.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-21, 12:39 PM
I'd especially appreciate comments on the incarnum and psionic sections. I wasn't sure if incarnum was the right choice for this class, or if I should have used a simpler mechanic. Also not sure if power points are right for the psionic mode.

Everything looks good overall, and I'm glad to see incarnum, psionics, and Tome of Battle get some more support. :smallbiggrin: The only thing I would change would be to have the chakra bind last until you change your aptitude focus (removing the time limit) because at mid to high levels you often need the chakra binds to get level appropriate abilities; the point of the chakra bind system is to introduce more powerful abilities as you level while still allowing all of the soulmelds to be used at earlier levels.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-21, 01:10 PM
Everything looks good overall, and I'm glad to see incarnum, psionics, and Tome of Battle get some more support. :smallbiggrin: The only thing I would change would be to have the chakra bind last until you change your aptitude focus (removing the time limit) because at mid to high levels you often need the chakra binds to get level appropriate abilities; the point of the chakra bind system is to introduce more powerful abilities as you level while still allowing all of the soulmelds to be used at earlier levels.

I will consider that. The reason I put a time limit on the chakra bind was to make it in line with the other mimic class feature abilities, which are all single use. I think compared to a one time use ability like wholeness of body of psychic strike, a chakra bind that lasts all day and you can use again and again is a lot more powerful.

The regular soul melds given by the incarnum focus are more in line with the other focuses (give bonuses on skills, bonuses to hit etc.). Really, when I think about it, Incarnum may be a bad fit for the class since the whole point of incarnum is changing your abilities every day by choosing your soul melds, which the ki chameleon does anyway by changing their focus.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-21, 03:41 PM
I will consider that. The reason I put a time limit on the chakra bind was to make it in line with the other mimic class feature abilities, which are all single use. I think compared to a one time use ability like wholeness of body of psychic strike, a chakra bind that lasts all day and you can use again and again is a lot more powerful.

I suppose that's true; I'd forgotten about the limited uses part. In that case, it should be fine as-is.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-21, 03:54 PM
A thought on psionic focus. Right now, I have it so you can pick new psionic powers every time you gain that focus. I like the versatility of that and it matches up favorably with the flavor of the class. However, as written, a 10th level Ki Chameleon could take one sixth level power and 6 fifth level powers. Not sure if this is bad or not, since psionics stacks the better powers toward the beginning.

In the original chameleon, you needed a spell book to prepare arcane spells, and were in essence a wizard. I am now wondering if you should have to pick your powers as you level up with Ki Chameleon, since you are in essence a psion, and that's how psions get their power selection.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-21, 06:41 PM
A thought on psionic focus. Right now, I have it so you can pick new psionic powers every time you gain that focus. I like the versatility of that and it matches up favorably with the flavor of the class. However, as written, a 10th level Ki Chameleon could take one sixth level power and 6 fifth level powers. Not sure if this is bad or not, since psionics stacks the better powers toward the beginning.

I'd compare this class to the Factotum in this instance. The Factotum can prepare a number of spells, up to 8th level at the highest point; he can prepare 1 spell of the highest level he can cast, and then the rest can be of any level he wants, so an equal-level Factotum can prepare 1 6th level and 6 5th level spells in the same way this Chameleon can know 1 6th level power and 6 5th level powers. I don't really see a problem with this, particularly given that lower level arcane spells can be just as or more powerful than higher-level powers.

In the original chameleon, you needed a spell book to prepare arcane spells, and were in essence a wizard. I am now wondering if you should have to pick your powers as you level up with Ki Chameleon, since you are in essence a psion, and that's how psions get their power selection.

Keep in mind that a chameleon with a sufficiently broad spellbook can effectively choose tons of different spells everyday--and since wizards can share spellbooks, the original chameleon can have ridiculous numbers of spells "known." I doubt letting them pick new powers every day would cause problems.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-21, 09:17 PM
All good points. OK, I'll keep psionic focus the way it is.

Gorgondantess
2009-05-21, 09:19 PM
I like it. I really like it. It's just the right power, and looks like loads of fun. I'd give it a few more class features to mimic, maybe a couple more aptitudes, but in the end it's a very solid, cool class. I'd play it.:smallbiggrin:

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-22, 02:44 PM
Thanks! I would definitely play it, too...

I am still strongly considering removing the Incarnum focus and replacing it, though I can't think of what to replace it with. With literally dozens of soul melds each with many uses, I think it may be a bit intimidating. Also, Incarnum isn't really a role, it's just a power source, and a very versatile one at that.

Any ideas on what I could replace incarum with?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-22, 02:51 PM
Also, Incarnum isn't really a role, it's just a power source, and a very versatile one at that.

Well, so are psionics and arcane magic; both of those are just as eclectic, versatile, and broad as incarnum is, but with more power and options. I'd keep it in there.

If you must replace it, doing something with the Binder or Shadowcaster could be cool.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-22, 03:20 PM
I think the real issue is that psionics and arcane magic are better understood than incarnum. There's a lot of material to learn, much of it foreign to the average player. I suppose they don't have to use it if they don't want to, but that reduces the versatility of the class. Maybe I'll just add a 6th focus.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-22, 06:19 PM
Maybe I'll just add a 6th focus.

That's probably the best option; add, don't subtract.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-23, 12:53 AM
New focus and mimic class features are up: Mantel Focus and the accompanying Psychic Aura. I decided on this route because it gives me better use out of the power points I gave the class, and because it's a non-divine way to heal hit point damage.

Bakkan
2009-05-23, 01:59 AM
I don't usually comment much on homebrew threads, but I have to say I really like this class. And speaking as someone who doesn't know Incarnum, I would still really enjoy playing this class, even without using that particular focus.