PDA

View Full Version : Punch-out is back!

Querzis
2009-05-20, 09:27 PM
Finally got Punch-out for the wii today and its everything I hoped and even more. To anyone who has played the old punch-out, no they didnt butcher it, quite the opposite, its better in every aspect. And to anyone who hasnt played the old punch-out, you really missed something so go play the Wii version right now.

By the way, anyone got tips on Aran Ryan? I can beat him just fine but its always by decision, I just cant knock-out that guy.

Joran
2009-05-21, 12:12 AM
I'm looking forward to playing with the Wiimote/Nunchuck + Balance Board mode. Then I'm not looking forward to the non-responsiveness of the controls =P

TheSummoner
2009-05-21, 12:20 AM
I've heard its actually so close to the originals that the people who still have all the boss patterns memorized will actually be able to put that memorization to use...

WANT!!!

Querzis
2009-05-21, 12:45 AM
I'm looking forward to playing with the Wiimote/Nunchuck + Balance Board mode. Then I'm not looking forward to the non-responsiveness of the controls =P

I dunno for the Balance Board but believe me, its very responsive. You dont have to thrust it forward as if you were really punching, just swing it in any direction and it will punch. And since most people agree the balance board is very reponsive, I dont think it will be a problem. But if you really wanna play with the Wii balance board, you'd better be in good shape.

Honestly, except for Red Steel and Tenchu shadow Assassin, I really never had a problem with the Wiimote/nunchuck responsiveness and I never got why some people are complaining.

Dairun Cates
2009-05-21, 01:44 AM
Honestly, except for Red Steel and Tenchu shadow Assassin, I really never had a problem with the Wiimote/nunchuck responsiveness and I never got why some people are complaining.

Because you make smooth and smaller motions while the average user flails the thing around like a lunatic. Ever see the injuries caused by Wii Tennis? The truth of the matter is that the wii-mote is actually SPECIFICALLY more responsive to smaller motions than jerky fast ones. So, the people that see unresponsive controls generally are getting into it too much.

Glad to hear it's awesome. Still, there's so much I gotta catch up on and so much work to do that I'll sadly have to skip it most likely. I DO love how apparently Glass Joe wears a head protector to make up for his glass jaw in his TD fight.

Dihan
2009-05-21, 02:33 AM
I don't really get the big deal about Punch-Out. Maybe I just missed the nostalgia and hype train. I've watched a few trailers but it just looked boring.

Comet
2009-05-21, 03:19 AM
I wasn't expecting much when I got this game, even though I was a fan of the original. How could they possibly make Punch Out today and make it interesting?

They could, it seems. And it's cooler, better, faster, stronger.
The gameplay is rather simple, yet the game is so addicting and fun. The pieces just click into place.
And the soundtrack is rather awesome.

Dairun Cates
2009-05-21, 05:16 AM
I don't really get the big deal about Punch-Out. Maybe I just missed the nostalgia and hype train. I've watched a few trailers but it just looked boring.

Honestly, you just have to play it. It looks SO boring in the same way that Ninja Gaiden looks SO easy when you're watching someone else do it.

Punch-out just has this infectious feeling about it that makes it quite frankly more fun than most games released even today. After you get your ass beat by freakin' Soda Popinski for the 4th time in a row, you'll just get it. It's about fast reflexes and thinking on your feet. The timing seems so obvious when you're watching it, but when you're playing you have to be lightning quick. Lightning fast action-packed fun with puzzle elements wrapped together in a neatly cartoony package. It's just hard to miss with such a solid formula, and indeed, they hit the target again, from what I've heard.

Also, no matter how many times you play through the game, beating the hell out of Glass Joe never gets old. It's all just so visceral.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-05-21, 05:17 AM

The same with me, except my brother forced me to watch them.

It's pretty fun though. Too bad I didn't get to play too much before I had to go to my concert last night.

Geno9999
2009-05-21, 05:32 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnd...
video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--a-REXkX4Y) dump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBER4iVwCw&feature=related).
I want to play the new Punch-Out!! soooooo much.
I have the Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream on my Wii, and that game alone made me excited about Punch-Out!!

Colmarr
2009-05-21, 07:20 PM
Also, no matter how many times you play through the game, beating the hell out of Glass Joe never gets old. It's all just so visceral.

*Imitates Homer* "Funny 'case it's true..."

The opponents in punch-out were just such an integral part of the reason why the game has a cult following.

I mean, really - in no particular order - Soda Popinksi, Don Flamenco, King Hippo (I still smile whenever I imagine his tippy-toe fall), Bald Bull. What's not to love about a game that was so obviously tongue-in-cheek?

Is Mike Tyson still the end boss? I assume not.

TheSummoner
2009-05-22, 02:20 AM
I hope he is =/

Querzis
2009-05-22, 03:06 AM
Nope the last boss isnt Myke Tison. The first last boss is Mr.Sandman. But after you beat him, you unlock a new mode: Title defense, in which you have to fight all the boxers again but this time they are faster, stronger and got new abilities like Glass Joe who wear a helmet so you cant punch him in the face or Von Kaiser who got a crazy attack that one-shot you.

Anyway, after you defeated all the previous boxers in the Title defense mode, the real final boss show up and its (I suggest you dont read this if you want to keep the surprise).

Its Donkey Kong.

I am NOT kidding.

TheSummoner
2009-05-22, 03:09 AM
Yeah... I knew the spoilered one was in it, but I dunno... I really think it should've had Mike Tyson...

snoopy13a
2009-05-22, 01:53 PM
Nope the last boss isnt Myke Tison. The first last boss is Mr.Sandman. But after you beat him, you unlock a new mode: Title defense, in which you have to fight all the boxers again but this time they are faster, stronger and got new abilities like Glass Joe who wear a helmet so you cant punch him in the face or Von Kaiser who got a crazy attack that one-shot you.

No Super Macho Man?

Granted, Super Macho Man was stupid. Is anyone else missing? Haven't heard anything about Bald Bull.

My favorite guy to fight in old Punch Out was Von Kaiser. Just give him the old one-two (over and over again :smalltongue: ). Also, I think that the second Don Flamenco was difficult to knock out in the first one (first one, you just jabbed once, dodged the Flamenco punch and one-twoed in the face). As a triva note, once Tyson's endorsement contract with Nintendo ran out, they released it as just "Punch Out" with a generic guy called "Mr. Dream" as Tyson with different graphics. The next thing about Tyson was that he'd knock you down with one punch in the first 90 seconds. This was actually fairly accurate at the time. He knocked out Michael Spinks in this time frame in 91 seconds.

Querzis
2009-05-22, 02:52 PM
No Super Macho Man?

Yes hes there and Bald bull too. Everyone from the first NES game is there except Myke Tison.

Colmarr
2009-05-24, 06:24 PM
The next thing about Tyson was that he'd knock you down with one punch in the first 90 seconds. This was actually fairly accurate at the time. He knocked out Michael Spinks in this time frame in 91 seconds.

Hmm, so that was only in the first 90 seconds?

I never beat him, but a friend of mine did. He either (1) didn't last past the first 90 seconds or (2) made it through the bout without getting hit at all, so we never figured out there was a time limit on the one-hit knockdown :smallsmile:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-05-24, 06:27 PM
I lost more times to Super Macho Man than I did to Mr. Sandman... that's messed up.

LXH
2009-05-25, 10:04 PM
I've had Soda Popinski's theme music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhQO57hmPQ&feature=related) in my head all day. Please make it stop.

I only have Super Macho Man and Mr. Sandman to go in Title Defense mode, then it's on to Last Stand. :smalleek:

And yeah, I am totally loving this game. I could never manage to beat Tyson in the original, so I'm hoping I can redeem myself this time around.

Colmarr
2009-05-26, 12:32 AM
I lost more times to Super Macho Man than I did to Mr. Sandman... that's messed up.

Me too. Sandman only really had the charge. Everything else was relatively predictable.

Is Super Macho Man the triple-uppercut? That was difficult, because it was difficult to get the timing on the last dodge right. Too early, and you came back in time to get clobbered by the last uppercut. Too late, and he smacked you before you got out of the way.