PDA

View Full Version : Cat Folk, anime style (P.E.A.C.H)

TheThan
2006-08-02, 04:19 PM
Rysoby- (rye-so-bee)
Slight and agile Rysoby are natural acrobats and dancers. At first glance a Rysoby doesn’t appear courageous and often shrink away from combat. But when the chips are down and their friends are in danger they reveal an inner bravery that would impress any band of adventurers.
Personality
Rysobies by nature are playful and sometimes reckless. They love to learn new things but loath to take part in any formal training. They tend to be pleasant to be around but can grow a bit tiring to those of a more serous mind. Rysobies crave attention and hate to be ignored. They do not tolerate being treated poorly by others; but they can easily reconcile any differences they may have with their companions.
Rysobians are social creatures that value friends and family beyond anything else. They like to make friends and usually have a large group of friends they consider an extended family. Unfortunately this makes them not like fighting at all. In fact most Rysobies avoid combat and other confrontations altogether. Despite this, cat people can still be courageous; it just takes a greater push.
Rysobies love to have fun. They spend most of their free time playing games or doing their hobbies. Which is just about anything they deem “fun”. It’s not uncommon to see adult Rysobies playing with children. They have a tendency to not take anything seriously and seem to treat life as if it’s their own personal playground.
Rysobies tend to posses a natural curiosity that often shows itself in interesting ways. They have a habit of taking new and interesting items from others and showing it to their kin. They don’t consider it theft for they usually intend to return the item. But often times they forget or get side tracked and end up not returning said item. Overly curious Rysoby can become kleptomaniacs. Rysobies of this sort often have trouble with the law (especially in dwarf lands). They like pretty (and oftentimes valuable items) as well as items they have not seen before.

Physical description
Rysobies are fairly short, averaging about 4.5 to 5.5 feet tall. They have thin lithe bodies with a very thin coat of fur covering their whole bodies except their face. Their hair ranges in color from blond to black and they typically have patterns of color running across a part of their body (typically their back or tail). These markings act as sort of a family crest; they designate which family a particular Rysoby is from. They have a feline tail that sprouts from their lower back. This tail grows to a length of four feet in length. The tail assists them with dazzling feats of grace and agility. Male Rysobies have a small tuff of black hair at the tip of their tail. Because of their natural grace and agility they tend to be light of weight. They have small triangular ears are on the top of their head and have a feline look to them.
Males tend to be slightly heavier and taller than females. Rysobies live to an average of 60 years old. They become and adult at around 14. Most Rysobies wear simple yet brightly colored (some would say gaudy) garments. They prefer loose fitting garments that don’t hamper their flexibility.
Relations
Rysobies tend to get along great with humans. They see humans as being the most willing to accept them. Humans often see them as being a bit naïve, but they some times consider them kindred spirits (due to their relative short life spans). Some become so close that they are made honorary family members. Dwarves treat Rysobies with suspicion because of their reputation as thieves. They can’t stand dwarves and find them a boor. While elves find them “quaint”. Rysobies themselves are awed by the mythical elves. Rysobies hate and fear gnomes.
Alignment
Rysobies prefer to go their own way and loath formal training. While they are incredibly loyal to friends and family. They have good hearts but are often times unpredictable, a drawback of their natural curiosity.
(Chaotic good) they can be of any alignment though.
Rysobians lands
Rysobies have no land of their own. They can typically be found in human lands because they are most willing to accept them. They live in small tightly knit communities. These communities usually stay on the move and are commonly encountered as caravans. They call their caravans “prides”. A pride typically travels around doing whatever odd job they can find. Many make their living by being entertainers such as tumblers, jugglers, dancers, singers etc. Some larger prides have formed their own successful circuses. While others sell goods they have either made or acquired along the road. Females tend to out number the males but males are usually the leaders and serve as a face for the pride when dealing with others.
Religion- any, but they usually worship a god or goddess of song or mirth.
Language
Cat people speak common easily. Their native language is a complex language that includes purrs, shrieks roars and other feline noises.
Names
Adventures
Young impressionable Rysobies tend to latch onto a particular adventurer and follow them around until they become accepted as part of the team and also as a friend, or at least a compatriot. Some become obsessed with adventurers. Others tend to rush in and get swept up in the action of someone else’s adventure.

Rysoby racial traits
+2 dexterity -2 wisdom. Rysobies are lithe and quick but have a tendency to rush ahead without thinking.
Medium size creature. As medium sized creatures they receive no bonuses or minuses do to their size.
Base land speed 40 feet. Their natural agility and grace grants them a slightly faster land speed.
+2 to balance and tumble checks. Rysobians are naturally acrobatic and graceful.
Low light vision
Favored class: bard
level adjustment +0

TheThan
2006-08-02, 10:53 PM
30 views and no comments? It must be perfect

RoboticSheeple
2006-08-02, 11:49 PM
They look overpowered actually. 40 ft speed is a big advantage.

and lowlight vision never has a range limit, so did you mean darkvision 60' or lowlight vision?

TheThan
2006-08-02, 11:59 PM
low light vision, I keep getting the two confused... I'll edit it

Machette
2006-08-03, 01:05 AM
It looks great. If anything needed to be takn into consideration it would be the seemingly sharp senses of a cat and therefore usually a catperson and the wisdom penalty. Still, that can be made up for with skill ranks. I like it as it is though.

Raool
2007-01-18, 04:21 PM
I think with the extra speed and tumble bonus it's a tiny bit too good for LA 0
You could add some other skill bonuses like jump and/or climb (even move silently) and make it a LA +1 race. I may be wrong.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 04:49 PM
Sounds almost like the Catfolk I made, except mine was surely not a PC class, as it had a charisma bonus and a bunch of skills bonuses.

TheThan
2007-01-19, 01:45 AM
Ack! Threado’mancery!
(This thread was pretty old really)

but anyway thanks for the insight.
I generally try to avoid races with LA so that’s why I didn’t include any other bonuses than the ones I had. I don’t see why people think the movement speed is so powerful, dwarves, halfings and gnomes all get random attack bonuses, so meh.

Raool
2007-01-19, 10:01 AM
Yes, but no race gets a Tumble bonus. Right ?

Spikes01k
2007-01-20, 04:53 PM
You need to balance the stats, -2 wis is not worth +2 dex. And to top it all off you give them a faster movement! However the movement, i guess, is balanced with the lack of bonus feat.

bosssmiley
2007-01-20, 05:15 PM
"How do I stat catgirl?" :smallwink:

Serious hat on:

40ft move speed? Maybe modify that to 30ft and a situational modifier to sprint checks. I don't think I can recall a medium humanoid with 40ft move, other than the 3.5 update of Dark Sun elves.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-20, 05:22 PM
You know, any catgirl race is allowed to be a bit "better" than other races, because there's one balancing factor that's innate to them all.

If anyone mentions physics or logic, they die.

TheThan
2007-01-20, 09:03 PM
Lets compare these catgirls to say dwarves:

Dwarf
+2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all
Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon
Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassingAnd now the cat girls:

+2 dexterity -2 wisdom. Rysobies are lithe and quick but have a tendency to rush ahead without thinking.
Medium size creature. As medium sized creatures they receive no bonuses or minuses do to their size.
Base land speed 40 feet. Their natural agility and grace grants them a slightly faster land speed.
+2 to balance and tumble checks. Rysobians are naturally acrobatic and graceful.
Low light vision
Favored class: bard
level adjustment +0I really don’t see what makes them any more powerful than a dwarf with his random combat bonuses (considering they have fighter as a favored class), two different save bonuses, their slightly vague stonecunning ability, darkvision, weapon familiarity, and their bonuses to craft and appraise. pluse they don't suffer movement a penalty when wearing heavy armor.

Compared to the catgirls with a bonus to balance and tumble, as well as low light vision (which is inferior to darkvision), and +10 foot movement speed.
It doesnt look like the catgirls come out as being better to me, really.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-01-20, 10:43 PM
I really don’t see what makes them any more powerful than a dwarf with his random combat bonuses (considering they have fighter as a favored class), two different save bonuses, their slightly vague stonecunning ability, darkvision, weapon familiarity, and their bonuses to craft and appraise. pluse they don't suffer movement a penalty when wearing heavy armor.

Compared to the catgirls with a bonus to balance and tumble, as well as low light vision (which is inferior to darkvision), and +10 foot movement speed.
It doesnt look like the catgirls come out as being better to me, really.

True... Don't let them put you down, your catgirls rule.

I would even give them bonuses to climb and escape artist, with maybe a penalty to concentration... although I know that penalties to specific skills are not good.

Spikes01k
2007-01-21, 07:59 PM
Still compaired with the dwarf, I would still drop the movement down by 5, perferably by 10. Other than that I guess it would be alright.