PDA

View Full Version : PARPVS [PEACH]

Pookie
2006-07-31, 12:07 AM
Annalia and myself came up with a role-playing award system to help people to role-play their PC's better by having a voting system. Read for yourself and say what you think? (i.e. likes, hates, improvements and/or if you would use it)

PARPVS ©™
(Pookie and Annalia's Role Playing Vote System)

At the end of each session or campaign (DM's choice, after each session is more accurate), each player votes for 2 of other players who he/she thought best role-played their character to earn bonus experience points.
By role-playing we mean doing as the character would do (not you) in all regards of the game. This would include all aspects of the character, like; conversations, fighting/encounters, decisions and character role (i.e. would the rogue charge a bugbear, if he/she didn’t have an advantage).

The rules for PARPVS are as following;
1 ) At the end of every session or campaign (DM's choice), each player and DM make two votes on one piece of paper to whom they thought best role-played their character.
2 ) Each piece of paper is to have two names (votes) each having 2 and 1 points attached to a name.
3 ) The DM's vote is worth double (a 4 and 2 point vote).
4 ) You can not vote for your self or the DM.
5 ) You can not vote for the same person twice.
6 ) Players or DM do not include their names (or signature) on the votes, unless they want too.
7 ) All votes are secret, only you and the DM know who you voted for.
8 ) You are not allowed to tell who you voted for and why, unless the DM gives permission, even then, you still don’t have to tell who you voted for.
9 ) The DM can not tell any one else the vote scores (apart from the placing, DM's choice), and/or who got how many votes, unless all the players give permission.
10 ) At the end of tallying votes (see below), the DM gives the individual experience on note form (i.e. a piece of paper, SMS by cell/mobile or even e-mail).
11 ) Typically after tallying is complete and experience has been awarded, the DM would destroy the votes (i.e. flame-thrower or bathed in acid would be deemed appropriate) ;D.

Tally
At the end of voting all the pieces of paper are given to the DM (preferable folded). The DM tallies up the votes and award the following experience as follows;

Place Bonus Experience
1st 10%*
2nd 5%*
3rd 1%*

* % of experience needed for next character level from current base level experience (level experience difference). For example, a level 7 character coming first (10%), would get 700 experience (21,000 is the level base experience at level 7 and 28,000 is needed for the next level up, level 8, that would be a level experience difference of 7,000).

DomarSaul
2006-07-31, 12:14 AM
It's a bit complicated, but then again, the secret ballots can be fun in themselves!

illathid
2006-07-31, 12:17 AM
i like it... and i may use it, but could you explain it a little more? So each person gets 2 peices of paper, that they put 2 names on for a total of 4 votes... I'm somewhat confused by that whole part.

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-07-31, 12:17 AM
Wouldn't this just lead to some people being a level or two ahead of the party, which would lead to power disparity and thus less fun?

Pookie
2006-07-31, 12:21 AM
i like it... and i may use it, but could you explain it a little more? So each person gets 2 peices of paper, that they put 2 names on for a total of 4 votes... I'm somewhat confused by that whole part.

I fixed rule 1, does that help?

illathid
2006-07-31, 12:24 AM
Yeah... That makes more sense.

Pookie
2006-07-31, 12:25 AM
Wouldn't this just lead to some people being a level or two ahead of the party, which would lead to power disparity and thus less fun?

I don’t think so, its more of a incentive for players (more so beginners) to role-play better.

And the bonuses aren’t that big, and its still a work in progress.

Hario
2006-07-31, 12:28 AM
what about DMPC's? ;P they should get exp bonus' too... ;D

Pookie
2006-07-31, 12:29 AM
what about DMPC's? ;P they should get exp bonus' too... ;D

Um, lets think about that one… no.

Annalia
2006-07-31, 12:30 AM

With 10%? That takes 10 gaming session and you have to be first. Always. And no one's forced to stick to the numbers. Just lower them and remove the 3rd place.

Malik
2006-07-31, 02:48 AM
Way too complicated and votes should never be secret, you
are supposed to be working together after all.

Pookie
2006-07-31, 03:27 AM
Way too complicated and votes should never be secret, you
are supposed to be working together after all.

Well I guess you wouldn’t have to make them secret, but the problem is some people might not like the fact they didn’t get any votes.

But it would be nice to be in a party/group that all worked together agreeably.

Annalia
2006-07-31, 01:12 PM
Yes, that's why we put votes as secret. Some players don't form the most harmonius group so we figured it'd be best to avoid unnecessary strife.

DrummingDM
2006-07-31, 01:54 PM
I do a similar thing in my current game. I've got pretty mature players (all 26+), and it works fairly well. I give every player a discretionary pool of XP (100 points) to distribute at the end of the session.

The only rules are that all 100 points must be distributed, 0 points can be given to yourself, and that it should be distributed to the player or players that you feel contributed the most during the session. That can be interpreted by the players however they like - some base it on RP, some base it on whoever came up with the most clever/safest/best plan during a combat or RP scenario, whatever.

It was a HUGE bonus for them at lower levels, but now that they're into the mid levels, it's not so much. Unless one player has a REALLY good night, and ends up hogging a huge portion of the Player-Awarded XP, though that rarely happens. It seems to (IMO) really increase the level of the game - it gives players an incentive to be more dynamic, come up with a better plan that just "I attack" or "I cast Magic Missle", what-have-you.

And since it's player-awarded, no one feels cheated - they had just as much a chance to earn it as the guy/girl sitting next to them. I have the players turn their distributed points in to me on pieces of paper, I add the points to the XP, and award it. Everyone knows who got the points, but they don't know how much came from what players, and since you can't award points to yourself, just about all my players end up getting SOME extra XP each session.

Pookie
2006-07-31, 02:05 PM
Well my player don’t have a problem describing their attacks, they can come up with some weird, um, stuff (with most of it being 18+).

Like I wrote a few posts up, it was more of an incentive for them to role-play a bit better. Like this one guy uses his samurai as a trap finder, by just running through levels and basically setting all the traps off. Which pisses everyone else off to no end (including me).

NullAshton
2006-07-31, 03:26 PM
It seems good. If someone gets ahead, the system will take care of it by giving the other players more XP. But that person that is getting the votes WILL be generally a level ahead of the group... but not as much as to break the game. Which is how a level 2 character could join a level 20 group... hmmm.

EDIT: When you think of it that way, it makes ressurection and raise dead a lot more powerful. You're not going to die every single session, more like every 5-10 sessions. A single level loss pwer 5-10 sessions isn't that bad, as you quickly catch up to the rest of your group.

Annalia
2006-08-01, 12:01 AM
And besides, it also helps Crafters get some experience ahead of the other and expend it after.