PDA

View Full Version : New weapon needed.

Cerberus
2006-08-01, 06:38 PM
Ok, Well in my last dungeon we faught a hydra and in the end it was defeated but at a cost-I ended up breaking my halberd.
I repaired it to make it out of the dungeon but it was nothing special and seeing as that its head is being held on by allittle bit of hydra-skin leather...I think I need a replacement.

Well I am quite wealthy, Love big weapons, and have a good crafting skill and allot of materials.
I cant decide what to make, I can use all martial weapons, and posibly an exotic weapon if I see it worth the feat.

I was wondering what to make-
maby a horsecutter-Some massive sword...but i cant imagine the damage and stuff like that

And my unorthadox items include: 2 hydra skulls, no less then 50 hydra teeth, allota hydra skin, a Bulette hide (if you dont know what that is..its basically a giant beast with rock-like skin) and average items like iron and wood...stuff you can get from a town.

Can someone list some unusual items and what their damage-weight-proficency-hand's required would be?-because currently I am hitting stuff with my shovel....it does a d6 but has a -5 to hit because its an unusual item.

DMgrinder
2006-08-01, 07:17 PM
Uuuughh... ???

I dunno, maybe some kinda spear. A greatspear is cool, and with the shorthaft feat in the PHB II you can attack people near you. The greatspear is in the Complete Warrior.

Sacrath
2006-08-01, 07:20 PM
I am not quite sure of the problem. Make a new halbred, or make one out of hydra teeth if you are feeling fancy. It will still be a halbred. Likely you should at least shoot for masterwork and spend your wealth on enchanting it. There isn't really a need to make a whole new weapon.

Cerberus
2006-08-01, 07:59 PM
My problem is I dont really like the halberd and want to make or buy something unusual, and I want ideas for unusual weapons...they dont have to be in the book but i would like them to have logical dice checks and stuff like that.

Sacrath
2006-08-02, 02:39 AM
The way I handle "unusual weapons" in game is let masterwork versions of weapons look like what ever the player wants, within reason. Come up with what your character would want to use and use the weapon stats that most closely resemble it. If you want a wooden bat studded with Hydra teeth, use bastard sword stats and change the type to piercing, or whatever else you think makes sense. Then the weapon is balanced for sure and your DM doesn't really have to worry about ruling it in unless he doesn't like it thematicly.

Telonius
2006-08-02, 01:48 PM
Use the Bullette hide to make leather, and turn it into a Flail, with the Hydra teeth at the end.

Affix teeth to skulls, and have yourself a morningstar.

Teeth to a normal shield, and you have a Spiked Shield.

Teeth to any armor, armor spikes.

MagFlare
2006-08-03, 12:32 AM
I am hitting stuff with my shovel....it does a d6 but has a -5 to hit because its an unusual item.

You should only be taking a -4 penalty to hit, according to the improvised weapon rules.

But that's neither here nor there. You've got two skulls? Bronze 'em. They're now the heads of your new dire flail. As a multiheaded weapon, it ties in neatly with the "hydra" thing. The bulette hide would make for a nice suit of armor, I imagine, although you may already have something better than anything you could make from it.

Cerberus
2006-08-03, 01:03 AM
You can make that stuff into leather? I imagined it was much too strong for that.

Yes I LOVE the spiked bat idea of hydra teeth...it will prolly be what I do..cept with a great club.

The spiked armor and shield I have allready made...ever wonder why I have so few teeth? well i had 3 heads each head having 2 rows of teeth top and bottom and approximately 30 teeth per row....well I only have 50 teeth and 2 heads because the rest of the teeth and skull were turned into a tower shield and spiked armor.