PDA

View Full Version : Civ [Where are you, New Management?]

Jack_Bread
2009-05-21, 02:08 AM
(Hopefully this forum is the proper receptacle.)
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ1.png
You control these six people, who happen to be the first on the world. They wake up on the shore of an island, completely naked, and they must start civilization. The people with "M" above them denotes males and "F" for females.
Your Food Meter (the bar with the "F" in the top-right corner) is empty, your Water Meter (the bar with the "W" in the top-right corner) is empty, your Material Meter ("M") is empty, and your Civilization Level (the number below the three bars) is 0.
What do you do?

Terminology
Silver Fish in Water - Hark
Brown Objects - Wood
Shelled Creatures - Gnarble
White Objects - Ducks
Green Things with Brown things hanging off - Apples
Blue stuff that looks like water - Floob

Terminology w/ Actual object names
Vague Description - In Game Name - Real Name
Silver Fish in Water - Hark - (I forgot this one)
Brown Objects - Wood - Wood/Trees
Shelled Creatures - Gnarble - Sea Turtles
White Objects - Ducks - Eggs
Green Things with Brown things hanging off - Apples - Kelp
Blue stuff that looks like water - Floob - Water

Some Rules (well, only one, currently)
1) When something comes up that is nameable anyone may name it. The only exception is if they named the previous object, they cannot name the current object. This rule also applies to naming people, too.
((Notes: You control all six people.
This is somewhat similar to MS Paint Adventures.
For updates, if there is one post, I will wait a day, if there is two or more, I will wait a half an hour before updating.))

Murska
2009-05-21, 07:41 AM
Explore the island, I'd say, to find water and food.

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-21, 08:39 AM
Create a makeshift flag out of a few long sticks, a banana leaf, and your own poop, and claim this fair island in the name of [insert cool name for a 'country' here], thereby boosting civilization level up to 1.

Lord Herman
2009-05-21, 09:11 AM
I see two problems with your plan, Kris. First, we do not have any sticks or leaves. Second, our people don't appear to have any arms.

I second Murska's plan. The only sensible thing to do (other than run around in circles, wave your arms and shout) is to go inland and look for food and water.

lord of kobolds
2009-05-21, 09:14 AM
Create a makeshift flag out of a few long sticks, a banana leaf, and your own poop, and claim this fair island in the name of [insert cool name for a 'country' here], thereby boosting civilization level up to 1.

Poop on a leaf, does not a civilization make.

Set 2 of them to breeding, one of them to getting food and water, one to get materials, one to exploring, and one to building huts.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-21, 01:35 PM
I see two problems with your plan, Kris. First, we do not have any sticks or leaves. Second, our people don't appear to have any arms.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8384/civ2.png
They all have arms.

((Notes: It's difficult to sprite them with arms so it doesn't look like black bars.
The real update is coming later.
Continue to suggest, I will roll for the one I will go for.))

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-21, 02:46 PM
I'm also in favour of them exploring the island for food and water.

smuchmuch
2009-05-21, 02:52 PM
I agree, exploration of the island needed.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-21, 04:14 PM
This rather seems like a interactive webcomic or such.

Or atleast structured enough for it to be in the Structured Games section.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-21, 08:21 PM
Set 2 of them to breeding, one of them to getting food and water, one to get materials, one to exploring, and one to building huts.
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ2-1.png
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ2-2.png
You set a male and a female to breed. They complain, "No privacy!"
You set another to build houses. She complains, "No brown things!'
You set another to find food. She yells, "Water creatures!"
You set one to explore. He continues left.
You set one to gather material. He yells "Brown thing!"
The brown thing increases you Material Meter by one. It cannot be used until hauled back to the others.

((Notes: Objects with vague description [ie "brown thing" "water creatures"] can be named.
Named object will have be put on the OP with their original term and the In-Game term.))

Recaiden
2009-05-21, 09:24 PM
I name the brown thing wood, and the water creatures hark. Set 2 people to cut it down and haul it back, the other 4 to explore.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-22, 01:32 AM
I'd personally have 1 person cut the wood down while saving it until a source of fresh water can be found, have 3 people catch harks and have the other 2 people explore (building a hut on the beach would be unwise due to the risk of a large wve destroying it).

Lord Herman
2009-05-22, 01:32 AM
Wouldn't it be better to build our village farther inland, near a source of fresh water? A beach isn't the most stable of surfaces to build on, and there's nothing there but hark.

Edit: Tempest's idea sounds good, but I do think the house should be build further inland near a stream or something. So I suggest we hold off building anything until we've found a proper spot.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-22, 01:55 AM
Lord Herman raises a good point so I'll alter my suggestion.

Murska
2009-05-22, 10:20 AM
Two people explore, hopefully to find fresh water, others gather food and materials and once we find a freshwater source construct a hut next to it.

smuchmuch
2009-05-22, 11:04 AM
I do have a question: How many dimension this island have ?
Because if this island is three dimensional , I'd like to point out that instead of exploring inward, it would much more smarter to explore the coastline.
For two resons:
1)They need a source of running water, a stream or a river, and those alway head out in the ocean. so it would be easier to explore the rim and try to find an estuary, then follow it to explore in.
2)Even it they don't find an estuary, they will have at least a vague idea of the size and form of the island.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-22, 11:07 AM
It has three dimensions. I just haven't bothered for a top-down map.

((Notes: I am not at home occasionally so I will just be here for some minor updates and question answering.))

Lord Herman
2009-05-22, 11:20 AM
Good point, smuchmuch. If we do find a stream, we can build our village near the shore (but not on it, to keep giant waves or sharks with laser beams attached to their heads from destroying our homes), and we'll also have a nearby source of food (if hark are edible, that is).

Trixie
2009-05-22, 03:55 PM
Is this an Island on a sweet water say, lake) or a sea one?

Do we have any idea how big it is?

If it can be traveled around in a day, I'd suggest sending two three people teams to walk east and west the coastline. Shelter can wait, water is important now, food next, fire after that, and then you can worry about fancy woodwork.

If it cannot (i.e. island too big), I'd say send these people spread in a line, keeping eye contact with each other, so that line covers about one-two kilometers width. Priority - finding a lake/cave/stream, making a note of all useful things along the way.

Keep these people in contact, anyway - if one has problems there must be someone else around to help, or (for example) Harks will eat that lone guy if he (alone) will enter the water to catch them :smalltongue:

By the way - are the "brown things" the same thing? My impression was that the buider wanted bricks, and wood isn't brown anyway, it's usually yellow (as the useless bark is thrown away).

Jack_Bread
2009-05-22, 06:35 PM
Yes "brown things" are the same thing. The current people you are controlling are basically the first people in the world, so they wouldn't know how wood looks without the bark.

Also, the "water creatures" the gatherer was talking about, the Hark, are these.
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Hark.png

Water from a side view doesn't really need detail.

((Notes: Real update coming in about an hour.
That was a lie.))

Recaiden
2009-05-22, 09:07 PM
Do you guys suppose that these hark will be edible?

billtodamax
2009-05-23, 03:37 AM
Explore around the shore with all six people in one direcion until they find a stream. Move up the stream a little way then find some more trees. Use the original bit of wood to make a fishing rod, using the bark as the string and search for small animals in rockpools to use as bait.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-23, 03:43 AM
What would be better then just throwing out ideas would be debate. Like Herman and Tempest did.

Trixie
2009-05-23, 08:32 AM
Debate, huh? :smallconfused:

So, water: I haven't found one mention in this thread that this water is salty, nor a confirmation from mod, so simply have one man taste a sip to find out if it is edible.

Harks: They are almost certainly edible, I'm wondering if they are dangerous instead :smalltongue:

(though their size contradicts this).

Exploring - I still think that sending three man teams along both directions is better than sending all of them in one - that way they'll explore much larger portion of it. Or send two man teams, and leave two people to gather fallen wood and fishing. If these are really first people, then fish shouldn't be too cautious and can be fished (with bait) with crude spears or clubs. I really don't think using bark as string will work, though :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2009-05-23, 11:26 AM
Yes, I guess we could let one of our people try the water, just in case it's fresh. And I think our people should be okay as long as they don't go out exploring on their own. I mean, it's just an uninhabited island. How dangerous can it be?

Recaiden
2009-05-23, 11:32 AM
Debate, huh? :smallconfused:

So, water: I haven't found one mention in this thread that this water is salty, nor a confirmation from mod, so simply have one man taste a sip to find out if it is edible.

Harks: They are almost certainly edible, I'm wondering if they are dangerous instead :smalltongue:

(though their size contradicts this).

Exploring - I still think that sending three man teams along both directions is better than sending all of them in one - that way they'll explore much larger portion of it. Or send two man teams, and leave two people to gather fallen wood and fishing. If these are really first people, then fish shouldn't be too cautious and can be fished (with bait) with crude spears or clubs. I really don't think using bark as string will work, though :smalltongue:

Smallness doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. They could be venomous, poisonous, or jellyfish. I agree with a 2 man team going each direction.

Have 1 person try the water and try to catch and examine a hark, and the other climb the tree and see farther in.

Trixie
2009-05-23, 12:00 PM
Yes, I guess we could let one of our people try the water, just in case it's fresh. And I think our people should be okay as long as they don't go out exploring on their own. I mean, it's just an uninhabited island. How dangerous can it be?

Well... next animal we find might be Olf. Or Iger. Or Aguar. Uninhabited - that includes these pesky big game hunters and animal trainers, if you catch my drift :smallamused:

And yes, the tree might be a good observation platform.

Pastafarian
2009-05-23, 01:05 PM
I will second the plan of two in each direction around the island, one climb the wood, and one try the water and try to catch a hark.

EDIT: Make sure the pair that don't go exploring are a M-F pair, and after all the other actions have been attempted they can get with the breeding.

charl
2009-05-23, 01:14 PM
I think we should leave the breeders on the beach to mate there while the others go to explore the island (getting the hark is impossible without some kind of fishing tool anyway. They seem to live in fairly deep water so manual catching is out of the question.)

I have to wonder why the first couple in the world would acknowledge the concept of privacy though. I mean, our civilization rating is at 0, am I right? And making babies in public is generally considered uncivilized. So they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-23, 06:04 PM
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civemap1.png
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ3-1.png
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ3-2.png
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ3-3.png
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ3-4.png
You set a female to catch hark. The hark disperse. She is drowning!
You set a male to climb a tree. He spots a gathering of wood!
You set two to follow the beach north. They find shelled creatures and white objects!
You set two to follow the beach south. They find green things with brown things hanging off!

((Notes: Sorry for being late, my brother likes kicking off the computer while in the middle of drawing.
More things to name!
I cannot tell you if things are edible or poisonous. That would make this less fun.))

charl
2009-05-23, 06:11 PM
I propose we get the guy in the tree to break of a stick and use it to save the drowning woman (I did warn you about the water being too deep!)

Let's name the shelled things gnarbles (just because). Then we catch some and kill them by dropping them off the top of the tree and scoop out their meat manually for food.

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-23, 10:53 PM
Also, gather the white things too. I'm loathe to kill the gnarbles by dropping them off a tree, since the shells could be useful. I'd say smash their heads in with a rock. These are sea turtles anyway, so their shells are softer than tortoises.

I... have no idea what the 'green things with brown things hanging off' are, so I'll withhold comment.

((shrubs with fruit hanging off?))

Also, I'm having doubts about the length of the stick for a successful rescue. Tell the woman to thrust her arms forward to the direction of the shore, then sweep them back and around (in the water), then bring her hands to her chest, then thrust forward, etc etc. If that fails, call for help.

Edit: Oh right, use the stick as a flotation device. Sorry.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-24, 12:04 AM
Meta-game spoiler
The "green things with brown things hanging" is kelp.

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-24, 12:58 AM
Evil Metagame-y Stuff!
Huh. Between the kelp, sand, and egg shells, we have all the stuff we need to make glass. Provided we can get a hot enough fire going, that is. Also, toothpaste! :smallbiggrin:

I hereby decree the white objects be called 'ducks' and the green things with brown things hanging off be called 'apples'.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-24, 01:14 AM
I second Kris' suggestions.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-24, 03:39 AM
It is done. Anything else on the next turn?

Trixie
2009-05-24, 04:06 AM
Aww, I want to name something too :smallsigh:

Save the next big animal for me :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2009-05-24, 04:08 AM
I propose that each person can name only one thing per turn. That way, more people will get a chance to name something.

billtodamax
2009-05-24, 04:08 AM
I dibs calling the blue stuff that looks like water floob!

Jack_Bread
2009-05-24, 04:16 AM
I propose that each person can name only one thing per turn. That way, more people will get a chance to name something.
Sure.

I dibs calling the blue stuff that looks like water floob!
Huh?

billtodamax
2009-05-24, 04:18 AM
Ya know, the stuff that the woman's drowning in.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-24, 04:27 AM
Oh. :P Okay, I guess.

Lord Herman
2009-05-24, 04:45 AM
We should have one of our people invent writing, so we can write down all those names.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-24, 04:48 AM
But we'd need to invent something which we can write on first.

billtodamax
2009-05-24, 05:12 AM
Bark! Bark solves everything.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-24, 05:38 AM
Then we need somebody to collect the bark first....

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-24, 08:11 AM

In that case, anyone feel free to rename either the ducks or the apples.

charl
2009-05-24, 04:06 PM
Then we need somebody to collect the bark first....

Fingers or dead gnarble shells?

Jack_Bread
2009-05-24, 04:56 PM
Scene 1-1
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ4-1-1.png
Scene 1-2
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ4-1-2.png
Scene 2
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ4-2.png
Scene 3
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ4-3.png
Scene 4-1
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ4-4.gif
Scene 4-2
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/Jack_Bread/Civ4-4-2.png

You set one to grab a branch and save the girl. She is safe! They fall in love.
You set two to smash turtles heads against rocks. They complain "No gray things!"
Two decide to eat the kelp. It is tasty!

((Notes: You can't name the gray things yet.
You got your first couple!
I'm only going to animate minor things like the symbol that appear above their heads.))

charl
2009-05-24, 05:25 PM
They could use one gnarble (turtle) to kill another. Their shells are pretty hard. I say we do that.

Selrahc
2009-05-24, 05:45 PM
We've got a stable early food source in the kelp. Everyone should go and fill up on that.

Then half the people should learn to swim. Lets say the females are the swimmers. Eventually the swimmers can be the fishermen in order to expand our food source.

The men can explore to gather up rocks and sticks and bring them back to the shore. So that we can learn to build stuff.

The weather seems quite good. Breeding isn't an immediate concern. Therefore building a shelter isn't an immediate priority.

billtodamax
2009-05-24, 07:35 PM
I suggest two females and one male to be swimmers, with the couple staying on the land. That way if something bad happens in the water (Which is more likely than on the land) our people can still reproduce.

PirateMonk
2009-05-24, 08:18 PM
We should continue to explore the island, though not necessarily immediately. We seem to have a food source, but as the attempt to drink the "floob" was not carried out, we still have no drinking water.

Pastafarian
2009-05-25, 11:10 AM
I agree that we should avoid segregating by sex, because we don't want all of one sex getting wiped out if something turns out to be more dangerous than we expect. I think the couple should start learning how to swim with one staying on shore at all times to help the other if something goes wrong, the pair with the gnarbles should see if they can kill one with the shell of the other, and the last pair should see if ducks are edible.

Je dit Viola
2009-05-25, 10:22 PM
I agree that we should keep them in pairs of M/F usually, at least until something changes importantly: they can help each other, the 'buddy system', etc

2 go exploring together

2 gather

2 do whatever someone above me said

lord of kobolds
2009-05-26, 10:42 AM
I agree with Viola that the buddy system is advisable. However, I would have the distribution be more like:

Have the couple gather the wood, with one of them stopping shortly to taste the water and see if it is saltwater, freshwater, or brackish.

2 others get some sticks to use as clubs, and explore inland.

final 2 go along the coastline.

We already have a foodsource, so we don't need the harks. Therefore, swimming is not a priority. We still do not have a source of gray things, and we have not found any animals other than hark, so our materials are very limited. Having the inland exploration creates the possibility of finding gray things. It also might lead to the discovery of land animals, which could be killed with the clubs. This would give us meat, as well as hides, furs, and/or horns. The pair traveling along the coastline have a chance of finding a river, thus providing us with drinking water, assuming that the floob is salty.

charl
2009-05-26, 10:59 AM
We already have a foodsource, so we don't need the harks. Therefore, swimming is not a priority. We still do not have a source of gray things, and we have not found any animals other than hark, so our materials are very limited. Having the inland exploration creates the possibility of finding gray things. It also might lead to the discovery of land animals, which could be killed with the clubs. This would give us meat, as well as hides, furs, and/or horns. The pair traveling along the coastline have a chance of finding a river, thus providing us with drinking water, assuming that the floob is salty.

What about the gnarbles? We could kill those by smashing their heads with their buddies' shells. That's meat and shells we can use for whatever.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-27, 01:46 AM
Sorry for not updating. :P
I am dealing with some stuff, so I will update tomorrow.

Trixie
2009-05-27, 06:04 AM
Um... exploring inland is better done when the searching parties on both shores will meet on the opposite end of the island.

Can someone make a dictionary, please? :smallsigh:

Eldan
2009-05-27, 09:38 AM
So, what about naming our people instead of just refering to them as "Two guys, and the other two guys?"

I suggest that at least one guy be named Frank. Because it's a conveniently short name that's not too much associated with any real world person to me.

Lord Herman
2009-05-27, 09:59 AM
Agreed. Our people need names. I propose we call another guy Ahmed.

Eldan
2009-05-27, 10:01 AM
Well, great. Now I can't stop thinking of that one Ahmed we had in class. I didn't like him much, he picked on me for likeing M:tG

lord of kobolds
2009-05-27, 10:11 AM
The female in the couple is Cindy Lou Who.

@\/\/ One naming per poster per turn

charl
2009-05-27, 10:13 AM
Another female is called Olga.

Trixie
2009-05-27, 11:23 AM
Mixing cultures and geography, huh? :smalltongue:

How about Ivan and Caren?

Lord Herman
2009-05-27, 11:46 AM
Well, great. Now I can't stop thinking of that one Ahmed we had in class. I didn't like him much, he picked on me for likeing M:tG

Well, think of it this way: now you can get Ahmed horribly mauled by some wild animal.

Edit: Also, here are the names we've got so far:
Frank
Ahmed
Cindy Lou Who
Olga
Ivan

We only need one more name (I agree that the one name per turn rule should also apply to the names of the people).

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-28, 04:27 AM
Dammit! All the males have been named. I so wanted a Bob in there. Because... Bob.
I hereby proclaim the last female be named Bobbette.

Lord Herman
2009-05-28, 04:38 AM
Hurray! Everyone has a name now!

Now all we need is a way to tell who's who.

lord of kobolds
2009-05-28, 10:52 AM
Hurray! Everyone has a name now!

Now all we need is a way to tell who's who.

Well, we know that Cindy Lou Who is the female in the couple. We should now decide which male is in the couple.

Kyouhen
2009-05-28, 11:13 AM
Bobette is helping to smash Gnarbles!

Je dit Viola
2009-05-28, 09:24 PM
I know a real girl named Bob. Not Bobette, just Bob. Apparently her father wanted a man-child.

And I want Ahmed to be the guy in the couple. Because Ahmed sounds so manly and he was manly to leap out of a tree and save the girl.

Jack_Bread
2009-05-30, 04:26 AM
Sorry, people. I have school things to do. I'm going on hiatus for a while. :(

Pastafarian
2009-05-30, 05:48 PM
Can someone make a dictionary, please? :smallsigh:

The OP has a glossary.

Wreckingrocc
2009-05-30, 06:35 PM
Damn, just found this... It's a really cool looking idea...

Does anyone think I should create a similar one? I'd be interested in running it... Perhaps calling it Civ B? :smalltongue:

Or, with Jack's permission, I could take this one over...

Jack_Bread
2009-05-30, 11:15 PM
Take over or make another if you want. :P

I was thinking, maybe instead of people saying what everyone should do (which I have a hard time keeping track of or finding the popular idea) people should choose to control a single person. Of course, it would be a team of forum people control one person, then as the Civ gets larger, they can vote on who gets who and end up creating different civilizations.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Rewording.

P.S. Just for the reference, I won't be able to update until summer.

Wreckingrocc
2009-06-01, 05:05 PM
:/ That'd be pretty cool... We could get a mechanical system going, too... Possibly move this into the subforum for structured games.

Personally, I think we need to divide the game into segments; at the moment, each individual is important, and thus has a name; eventually, however, only important people (ie leaders, scientists, commanders, etc.) will have names, as the civ will be too big to keep track of.

I'll get the update up tomorrow after school, when I'll have no homework.

Pastafarian
2009-06-07, 09:47 PM
:/ That'd be pretty cool... We could get a mechanical system going, too... Possibly move this into the subforum for structured games.

Personally, I think we need to divide the game into segments; at the moment, each individual is important, and thus has a name; eventually, however, only important people (ie leaders, scientists, commanders, etc.) will have names, as the civ will be too big to keep track of.

I'll get the update up tomorrow after school, when I'll have no homework.

So what's the word? Is TND taking over? If not, when does Jack Bread's summer vacation start?

Jack_Bread
2009-06-09, 12:12 AM
It starts in two weeks. :P
Not sure what happened to Tired N' Drowzy.