PDA

View Full Version : Various feats (PEACH)

Luircin
2006-07-31, 05:17 PM
I was considering adding some of these feats for NPCs in my campaign (And PCs, if they decide to pursue that kind of character), and I'd appreciate comments on how balanced they might be.

Overcome Lycanthropic Urging
You have somehow managed to overcome the mental effects of your lycanthropic curse.
Requirements: Must be an afflicted lycanthrope
Benefit: You no longer change your alignment when intentionally changing shape.
Normal: An afflicted lycanthrope that intentionally changes form immedately changes alignment to that of his hybrid form.

Lycanthropic Therugy
You have fought the mental effects of your curse to the point that you remember how to use magic while transformed.
Requirements: Natural lycanthrope or afflicted lycanthrope and 8 ranks in Change Shape, caster level 3th.
Benefit: You may cast spells while in hybrid (but not animal) form.
Normal: Lycanthropes may not cast spells in animal or hybrid forms.

Improved Lycanthropic Therugy
You have continued to learn how to use your magic while in a different form.
Requirements: Natural lycanthrope or afflicted lycanthrope and 13 ranks in Change Shape, caster level 8th, Lycanthropic Therugy.
Benefit: You may cast spells while in animal form.
Normal: Lycanthropes may not cast spells in animal or hybrid forms.

Supreme Wrestling [Epic]
Your skill at grappling has grown so great that you may even grapple foes normally unable to be grappled.
Requirements: Str 21, Dex 21, Improved Unarmed Strike, Escape Artist 15 ranks, Legendary Wrestler
Benefit: You may grapple targets not normally able to be grappled, such as a target under the effect of freedom of movement. However, you take a -20 penalty on all grapple checks against such targets.
Special: A fighter may take Supreme Wrestling as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Spontaneous Metamagic
By expending magical power, you may apply metamagic feats to your spells without special preperation.
Requirements: At least three metamagic feats, Spellcraft 13 ranks.
Benefit: When casting a spell, you may apply one of your metamagic feats to it without special preperation in exchange for sacrificing spell slot of the level that the metamagic spell would be at. For example, if a wizard has Maximize Spell, a fireball prepared in a 3rd level spell slot and an unused 6th level spell slot, the wizard may sacrifice the 6th level slot in order to cast the fireball as if the Maximize Spell feat had been applied to it.

Psychic Therugy [Epic]
You have merged the power of your mind and your magic to the point where it is difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins. You may use psychic power to enhance the power of your spells and vice versa.
Requirements: Caster level 21st, manifester level 21st, at least two metamagic feats, at least two metapsionic feats
Benefit: While preparing spells, you may spend spend power points to prepare spells with metamagic feats in a lower spell slot. You may spend three power points to lower the spell slot required for any spell by one when preparing your spell for the day (Or at the time of casting, in the case of a spontaneous caster). You may only spend power points equal to your manifester level per day on this feat.

Alternately, you may expend one spell per round as a swift action to add power points to your total. You gain two power points per level of the spell lost, but may only use these power points to apply metapsionic feats to powers you manifest on the current turn. Any unused power points provided by this feat disappate at the beginning of your next turn.

I'm pretty sure this last one is overpowered. Any suggestions on how to make it balanced?

jdrich
2006-07-31, 06:40 PM
This is going to be moved, but I'll reply anyway.

Overcome Lycanthropic Urging

This feat circumvents a very important aspect of the lycanthropic affliction. You'd be better off doing away with the alignment change clause altogether rather than creating this feat, since alignment is really RP based. As a DM, you can ignore it.

Lycanthropic Therugy

Change Shape or Control Shape? Just alter the feat Natural Spell and I think you can ignore this. Also, Lycanthropy says nothing about not being able to cast spells in either form.

Improved Lycanthropic Therugy

See above.

Supreme Wrestling [Epic]

This feat probably doesn't need to be Epic. I see no reason for the Dex requirement or the Escape Artist requirement, but YMMV.

Spontaneous Metamagic

A pretty unimpressive feat. I don't know that many mages would take it.

Psychic Therugy [Epic]

Imbalanced, really not available until after level 35, and imbalanced.

TheOOB
2006-07-31, 06:47 PM
I think spontaneous metamagic is a little too powerful. Sure the cost is high, but one of the major disadvantages of a wizard is that they have to prepare everything ahead of time, and this feat gives a suprising amount of versilitilty.

Psionic Therugy is overpowered reguardless of what level you abtain it by.

Overcome Lycanthropic Urging kinda ruins the purpose of afflicted lycanthropy. Any character who doesn't like the alingment won't try to change the form, but cure themselves instead.

Luircin
2006-07-31, 07:05 PM
This is going to be moved, but I'll reply anyway.

Why would that be?

Lycanthropic Therugy

Change Shape or Control Shape? Just alter the feat Natural Spell and I think you can ignore this. Also, Lycanthropy says nothing about not being able to cast spells in either form.

Control Shape, yeah. As for spells, page 176 of the MM. Okay, so I made a mistake. It's only spells without verbal components in hybrid form.

Supreme Wrestling [Epic]

This feat probably doesn't need to be Epic. I see no reason for the Dex requirement or the Escape Artist requirement, but YMMV.

Those requirements are the requirements for Legendary Wrestler, which is epic.

Psychic Therugy [Epic]

Imbalanced, really not available until after level 35, and imbalanced.

Well, I knew it was imblanced already, which is why I asked for help balancing it (Though not as unbalanced as, say, Epic Spellcasting). It's available earlier for those in the Cebebremancer prestige class or with Practiced Spellcaster/Manifester as feats earlier than level 35.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-31, 07:08 PM
You must have missed the reorganization of the boards. See, this forum is for the purpose of discussing pre-existing games.

Homebrew material goes the Homebrew Design (d20 and General RPG) (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew) forum.

Luircin
2006-07-31, 07:11 PM
You must have missed the reorganization of the boards. See, this forum is for the purpose of discussing pre-existing games.

Homebrew material goes the Homebrew Design (d20 and General RPG) (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew) forum.

Yeah, I guess I did... how embarassing....