PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Readied actions

Elurindel
2009-05-21, 08:52 AM
A quick question regarding spellcasters and readied actions.
I have a character who has automatic quicken spell for all levels, and multispell, making for lots of spellcasting fun. If under the influence of Time Stop, can I then ready an action for my last round of Time Stop to let loose a flurry of multiple spells in my opponents turn? Would it be just the one spell? Is this in fact, even a legal move?
I know I've seen other people use free actions as a readied action along with a standard action, but does it stretch as far as spells?

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-21, 09:50 AM
A readied action has to be a standard action. Quickened spells are swift actions. So no, this wouldn't work at all.

Better to just cast 1d4+1*3 Delayed Blast Fireballs.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 09:53 AM
Actually, readying an action is a standard action but you can ready a standard, move or free. If the OP is playing unerrata'd core-only then those quickened spells are free actions - but he can't prepare a free and a standard. He needs a way to get multiple spells cast with a single action, not multiple actions that can be done as quickly as one another.

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-21, 09:58 AM
Actually, readying an action is a standard action but you can ready a standard, move or free. If the OP is playing unerrata'd core-only then those quickened spells are free actions - but he can't prepare a free and a standard. He needs a way to get multiple spells cast with a single action, not multiple actions that can be done as quickly as one another.

Well colour me corrected.

Yeah what he said.

Elurindel
2009-05-21, 12:25 PM
I should have mentioned that I was using the original, unerrata'ed core rules for 3.5.
So basically, I can only line up one spell in preparation, be it a standard or free action?

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 12:36 PM
You can only take one action, which can be standard, move or free. If you have a way to cast multiple spells with one action, you could use it. However, casting a quickened and normal spell is two actions (free and standard), and even using Multispell is two free actions.