PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Base Class: Walker (Spin off of the MTG: D20 thread)

EENick
2009-05-21, 04:31 PM
Reposted from the MTG: D20 thread.

Walkers
Game Rule Information
Walkers have the following game statistics
Abilities
Charisma is key to walker’s abilities.
Alingment
Any

HD: d4
Walker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Mana Focus. Plus one colored mana.

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Plus one colored mana.

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3| Plus one colored mana.

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Plus one colored mana,

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Plus one colored mana, Instant 2.

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Plus one colored mana.

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Plus one colored mana.

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6| Plus one colored mana.

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6| Plus one colored mana.

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Plus one colored mana, Instant 3.

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Plus one colored mana.

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8| Plus one colored mana.

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8| Plus one colored mana.

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9| Plus one colored mana.

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9| Plus one colored mana, Instant 4.

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10| Plus one colored mana.

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10| Plus one colored mana.

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11| Plus one colored mana.

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11| Plus one colored mana.

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12| Plus one colored mana, Plane Shift once per day. [/table]

spells
{table=head]Level| 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9

1st|2|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

2nd|3|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

3rd|3|1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

4th|4|2|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

5th|4|3|1|0|0|0|0|0|0

6th|4|4|2|0|0|0|0|0|0

7th|4|4|2|1|0|0|0|0|0

8th|5|4|3|2|0|0|0|0|0

9th|5|5|3|2|1|0|0|0|0

10th|5|5|3|3|2|0|0|0|0

11th|5|5|4|3|2|1|0|0|0

12th|5|5|5|3|3|2|0|0|0

13th|5|5|5|4|3|2|1|0|0

14th|5|5|5|5|3|3|2|0|0

15th|5|5|5|5|4|3|2|1|0

16th|5|5|5|5|5|3|3|2|0

17th|5|5|5|5|5|4|3|2|1

18th|5|5|5|5|5|5|3|3|2

19th|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|3|3

20th|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|4 [/table]

Class Skills: A Walkrs's class skills (an the key ability of each skill) are: Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge: (All Skills taken individually), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifer) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Profiency: Walkers are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a walkers’s movements, which can cause her spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells: A walker casts mana spells which are drawn from the walker spell list. A walker must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below) but must also use his or her mana to pay for them at the time of casting.
To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the walker must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a walker’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the walker’s Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a walker can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on the attached table.

Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a walker may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spelldeck. While studying, the walker decides which spells to prepare.

Spelldeck: A wizard must study her spelldeck, which is made up of Great Tarot like cards each representing a single spell, each day to prepare her spells. She cannot prepare any spell she does not have a card for.
A walker begins play with a spellcards for three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the walker has, the spelldeck holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new walker level, she gains two new spell cards of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new walker level) for her spelldeck. At any time, a walker can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellcards to her own deck.

Mana: Mana is the energy drawn from the universe which a walker uses to cast their spells. A walker starts each turn with an amount of colored mana equal to their walker level plus one colorless mana for each plus to their intelligence modifier. In order to cast a spell or activate a mana based ability a walker must spend the correct amount of mana to do so.

Mana Focus (Ex)
Walker Picks a color of mana to gain access to. They may choose from White, Green, Red and Blue.
Walkers may pick a color of mana to align with. While later colors can be gained with feats regardless of alignment this first color must correspond to the casters alignment. It is considered the players primary color.
White – Any Non-Evil
Red – Any Non-Lawful
Green – Any Neutral
Blue – Any non-Chaotic
Black – Any Non-Good

Colored Mana
At the start of each round a players gains an amount of mana according to their level. The color of the mana for each instance of this ability is chosen at the time the player levels up. Any color the player has access to maybe chosen at that time.

Instant
Instant allows a wizard to cast more than one spell on their turn. Additional spells may only be up to ½ the maximum casting level of the first rounding down. So if a player can cast up to level 9 spells for their first spell there second can only be up to level 4, there third level 2 and their fourth level 1 and if a players first spells is up to level 6 their second is up to level 3 and their third is up to level 1.

Walker Specific Feats

Feats

Duel Natured (Walker)
Prerequisite: At least four mana
Benefit: Allows you to choose a second primary color. You may freely choose between either of your primary colors when leveling up. The second color must still be in keeping with your alignment. Note this does not change you existing mana just allows you get the alternate colored mana at level ups if you so choose.

Color Wheel (Walker)
Benefit: Changes one of your mana permanently to another color even if that color doesn’t match your alignment.

A cool suggest just came up that I am batting around. I feel it could change the class for the better.

The idea is simply make getting mana a move equivalent action to help balance out the class.

IE: Billy a level 13 red aligned walker has 13 red mana.

-Round one he takes a full round action to take advantage of his class skill and multi-cast two spells both costing 5 mana leaving him with 3 red mana left.

-At the start of next turn Billy moves and casts a spell for 1 red mana leaving him with 2.

- Round three Billy stays put taps (which empties any left over mana in this system) taking him back up to 13 red mana and clasts a spell for 3 mana leaving him 10 mana left.

-Round four Billy takes a full round casting again and casts two spells one for 7 mana and another for 3 leaving him with 0 mana at the end of the round.

-Round five Billy move again and taps taking him back to 13 mana.

I really like this as a way to both keep the class different from the existing classes and limit its powerful keyword and instant speed multi-class abilities.

Feedback?

unosarta
2009-05-21, 04:45 PM
i have just one question.

how does tapping work in this system? you went over it, but i really dont understand. does tapping return your mana to full? does it only return a certain amount?

i need more information!

EENick
2009-05-21, 04:52 PM
i have just one question.

how does tapping work in this system? you went over it, but i really dont understand. does tapping return your mana to full? does it only return a certain amount?

i need more information!

Good question.

It returns you to full. So if your max mana is 13, like in Billy's case, it takes you back up to 13

I suppose it would make it more sense to call it untaping rather then tapping now that I think about it.

Maldraugedhen
2009-05-21, 05:24 PM
I think, rather than having 'any good,' 'any evil', etc. for the different mana types, you should go 'any nonevil', 'any nongood', etc. so the ranges overlap a bit--apart from just with Red and Blue. Otherwise, if you're neutrally aligned on the chaos-law axis, you only have one option.

EENick
2009-05-22, 12:07 AM
I think, rather than having 'any good,' 'any evil', etc. for the different mana types, you should go 'any nonevil', 'any nongood', etc. so the ranges overlap a bit--apart from just with Red and Blue. Otherwise, if you're neutrally aligned on the chaos-law axis, you only have one option.

That isn't a bad idea, in fact it is a really good one but that still leaving the problem of green IE:

black - Non good
Red - Non Lawful
Blue - Non Chaotic
White - Non Evil
Green - Non ????????

I suppose one could just establish that green bucks the trend and requires one to be at least partly neutral but while functional that seem a little odd.

Nero24200
2009-05-22, 02:08 PM
I'd probably just keep Green as is then, any Neutral, since it already covers 5 of 9 alignments (and the others will cover only 1 more).

EENick
2009-05-22, 02:31 PM
Edited to reflect alignment changes (non-evil instead of good).

Added Walker only feats.

DracoDei
2009-05-22, 04:28 PM
I would go ahead and give them a wizards progression of cantrips to give them more to do at lower levels. Like wizards they should start with all of them in their deck, and they should all be zero or 1 colorless mana cost probably.

EENick
2009-05-22, 07:22 PM
I would go ahead and give them a wizards progression of cantrips to give them more to do at lower levels. Like wizards they should start with all of them in their deck, and they should all be zero or 1 colorless mana cost probably.

Well I am hopnig that abilties like flashback or retrace on spells will make up for the lack of cantrips. I'd prefer to avoid 0 level spells if possible so I'm going to hold off giving them 0 level spells unless play testing goes poorly.

Still you might well be right, but I want to at least try them without zero level spells first.