PDA

View Full Version : Need Iaijutsu Build

Enochi
2009-05-21, 06:01 PM
Looking for really good Iaijutsu build. High powered but no cheesey please. I almost went divine minion but had a crisis of consience and decide to go with something fun and entertaining with out being broken.

Rules:
Needs to be able to do well in a low item enviroment. I cant buy anything over 3k gold in this world all higher cost items must be found or made.

Needs to be able to deal with hordes of realatively weak enimies. The dm is a bit new so he chucked 40 lvl 4 goblin at us with our party split and we had to fight cause we where defending a town....with no healers. Our PCs were level 3 and it was 8 to 1 odds. 2 of us died so this is a remake hero. Would like to be able to handle something like that in the future.

Needs to do without spells. Our party is allowed two spell casters and we have a guy who is running Shapeshifter variant (PHBII) druid and a dragon shaman neither player has played spellcasters before.

ECL 4

Have fun.

Glimbur
2009-05-21, 06:32 PM
A dragon shaman isn't a spellcaster. A Dragonfire Adept is closer, in that's it's like a warlock with a breath weapon, but still not a spellcaster.

But that's neither here nor there. For Iajutsu Focus I recommend the Factotum class from Dungeonscape. 3/4 BAB, 6+ skill points a level, and all skills as class skills. Also get to add Int to Dex and Str checks at a low level, which assuming Iajutsu Focus is Dex based is nice. They also have various other tricks.

Random NPC
2009-05-21, 06:36 PM
A dragon shaman isn't a spellcaster. A Dragonfire Adept is closer, in that's it's like a warlock with a breath weapon, but still not a spellcaster.

But that's neither here nor there. For Iajutsu Focus I recommend the Factotum class from Dungeonscape. 3/4 BAB, 6+ skill points a level, and all skills as class skills. Also get to add Int to Dex and Str checks at a low level, which assuming Iajutsu Focus is Dex based is nice. They also have various other tricks.

Iaijutsu focus is Cha based

shadow_archmagi
2009-05-21, 06:37 PM
If only you were gestalt; you could do nice things as a factotum beguiler, since that'd get you the free action feint allowing for Iajustu focus every round.

Enochi
2009-05-21, 06:41 PM
Feinting doesnt work. Opponent has to be specificly flat footed.

BobVosh
2009-05-21, 06:44 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633
Fun Iaijutsu build. Well, Iaijutsu is involved. Somewhere.

raitalin
2009-05-21, 06:46 PM
Factotum for starters. Why Factotum? Iajutsu as a class skill, Cunning Knowledge to add class level to iajutsu and Int to Initiative with Brains over brawn. Take it up to Cunning Surge to get an extra standard action against a flat-footed opponent, then you can switch to Rogue for sneak attack, or stick with Factotum for boosting your cunning knowledge and depend on cunning strike for even more damage against flat-foots. Plus, you won't be a one-trick pony.

Feats: Quick Draw and Improved Init are no-brainers.

Flick of the Wrist is good, but only works on an opponent once per encounter, and requires using a light weapon.

A Feinting build could be a good method, as it depends on the same ability as IF and can enable you to catch an opponent flat-footed every round.

Some of the more dedicated CharOpers will probably do better at fleshing it out.

EDIT: So there's a difference between being flat-footed and being denied your Dex.? New one on me.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-21, 06:59 PM
A gnomish quickrazor would allow you to skip Quick Draw, as would stabbing with arrows (though you'd have to eat up the -4 nonproficiency penalty).

But yes, factotum is excellent for Iaijutsu Focus builds. Check out the web enhancement, and get as many Font of Inspiration feats as you can reasonable nab.

zerombr
2009-05-21, 07:20 PM
my only advice is that if you're human, Human Paragon lvl 1 makes Iaijutsu Focus a class skill forever, I had a great idea with that, and Swift Ambusher...just as shame that iaijutsu and precision damage aren't stackable

but 10 lvls of Invisible blade indeed, is masterful for Iaijutsu focus

Enochi
2009-05-21, 08:23 PM
Getting the focus seems to be easy enough. What are some good ways to be able to use it alot?

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-21, 08:28 PM
Just make sure you can full-attack a lot. Getting multiweapon fighting (great with alter self) is a must, and Improved Trip to pull a lot of trip attacks, as well (which will increase your accuracy a great deal AND will hinder your foes).

Get reach, get mobility, and make sure you can avoid being tripped in turn, and you're golden.

Iku Rex
2009-05-21, 09:06 PM
Available books?

Campaign world?

Ability scores?

Starting gold?

How high (level) do you expect the campaign to go?

Enochi
2009-05-21, 09:35 PM
Books: Everything but Psionics

World: Mish-mash can use whatever for Eberron and the like

Score: 18, 17 ,16, 15, 14, 13

Gold 3k

Final boss is a CR 20.

Primarly bad guys Orcs and Goblins. Final boss is a goblin.

Chronos
2009-05-21, 10:35 PM
I had a great idea with that, and Swift Ambusher...just as shame that iaijutsu and precision damage aren't stackableSays who? There's no reason they wouldn't stack, and in any situation where you qualify for Iajitsu, you qualify for Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike, too.

Darrin
2009-05-21, 11:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633
Fun Iaijutsu build. Well, Iaijutsu is involved. Somewhere.

There's another build in Person_Man's Knight's Handbook, "Fine But Deadly" that uses Iajutsu focus. Of course, assuming you can wiggle your way around the "can't attack someone who is flat-footed" thing, the image of a very small bird ripping a much larger opponent in half is very appealing.

Check post #2 in the Specific Builds section:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429

It's based on "I May Be Tiny, But You're Dead: the other, melee Killer Gnome":

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=633443

While that thread discusses Iajutsu Focus + Gnome quickrazor, I'm not sure anyone posted a specific build.

Geddoe
2009-05-22, 12:34 AM
Says who? There's no reason they wouldn't stack, and in any situation where you qualify for Iajitsu, you qualify for Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike, too.

Technically, against Barbarians, Rogues, Warblades and anybody else who keeps dex while flat-footed, you may use iaijutsu but not sneak attack or sudden strike. I would try to get your DM's opinion on the iaijutsu in combat rules.

I personally think a shadow walker human paragon, rogue, swordsage, shadowlord build would be cool(if you could get it all to come together right) as hell for iaijutsu + multiple shadow pounces when you win initiative. Maybe even the shadow hand tactical feat since it renders an opponent flat-footed against your first attack as long as you moved a certain number of feet in the previous round.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-22, 05:30 AM
Looking for really good Iaijutsu build. High powered but no cheesey please.

Iaijutsu is either high powered and cheesy, or not cheesy and underpowered. You can't really have one without the other and still have a viable character.

Dragon Shaman doesn't get a caster level, none of its abilities are spells or spell-like. A Ranger or Paladin is more of a spellcaster than a Dragon Shaman, they actually get a spell list and can even use wands from level 1.

I'd use either a Mineral Warrior (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) for DR 8/Adamantine and +1 LA, or go Warforged with Adamantine Body and Thick-Skinned (SS) for DR 4/Adamantine and no LA. If you want to use Iaijutsu Focus, go ahead and take at least one level in the Oriental Adventures version of Samurai. That gets a built-in ability to upgrade your swords that works the same way as Ancestral Relic. Note it's based on your character level rather than your class level, so you only need one level in the class to get the full benefit. You can still take loot items that would have been sold at half value as part of your share of the treasure, then sacrifice those items' full value into your weapons to upgrade them.

A completely different idea would be to make a Dragonfire Inspiration Bard, which at level 3 can grant all his allies +4d6 fire damage on all of their attacks. Plus you can start with a Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) that's a Badger, which makes three attacks/round each of which get that +4d6, and at level 6 get a Krenshar familiar which also gets three attacks/round. It goes Silverbrow Human (RotD) Bard 8/ something 2/ Sublime Chord/ etc., with Dragonfire Inspiration (RotD), Melodic Casting (CM), Wild Cohort, and Obtain Familiar (CA) at level 1 with flaws, Song of the Heart (ECS) at 3, and Improved Familiar (CW) at 6. Get a Badge of Valor (MIC) and take Inspirational Boost (SC) as a spell known, first round start Inspiring and after that just swing a whip around or sit back with a shortbow, both of which get +4d6 fire damage.

Zaq
2009-05-22, 11:06 AM
As others have said, Iaijutsu relies heavily on your opponent being flat-footed... not just denied DEX, but actually being flat-footed. Personally, once getting Iaijutsu as a class skill (The two most common methods are Factotum + Able Learner and Human Paragon), I'd focus on as many ways as possible to make your opponents flat-footed beyond simply winning initiative. Tome of Battle offers a few maneuvers that specifically make your opponent flat-footed... I don't have my book open right now, but I know that at least a couple Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw in the 1-3 range make your opponent flat-footed, which is good. There are also a couple skill tricks in Complete Scoundrel which render someone flat-footed, so that's something as well.

Again, working with what's already been said, I would go with a Gnome Quickrazor, as it neatly sidesteps the issue of "I draw five longspears in sequence, attacking with each once and dropping it to draw the next one" that Iaijutsu is prone to.

So yeah, I think Factotum/Warblade is the way to go. Factotum will help you get some nice bonuses to Iaijutsu, Warblade will help with rendering the target flat-footed, and both have some nice INT synergy (which renders you slightly MAD, unfortunately, since you'll want INT to fuel the Factotum and Warblade abilities, CHA for Iaijutsu, DEX for initiative, and whatever STR/CON a melee type needs). I suppose a couple levels in Marshal to get Motivate DEX and Motivate CHA would help reduce this MAD, since you could use your CHA for initiative and add it twice to Iaijutsu, but I'd rather have more levels in Warblade.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-22, 12:17 PM
Another trick to keep someone flat-footed is to have someone cast Grease under them. If they don't have at least 5 ranks in Balance, they'll be considered flat-footed as long as they're standing on it, as per the Balance skill.

kyoten
2009-05-22, 01:57 PM
What books has Iaijutsu focus?

Geddoe
2009-05-22, 07:22 PM
What books has Iaijutsu focus?
It is only in Oriental Adventures.

Again, working with what's already been said, I would go with a Gnome Quickrazor, as it neatly sidesteps the issue of "I draw five longspears in sequence, attacking with each once and dropping it to draw the next one" that Iaijutsu is prone to.

Thing is that by the RAW, you don't need a Quickrazor or 5 weapons to get iaijutsu on each strike. The iaijutsu in combat rules state that if you attack a flat-footed opponent after drawing a weapon in that round, iaijutsu focus damage applies. So the samurai draws his katana once and takes his 4 attacks at level 16+, and all attacks get Iaijutsu damage if his opponent(s) is flat-footed. There was even a post in the old OA forum at the wizard boards with a reply from the sage and other CS that this is the way Iaijutsu Focus works.

Only problem is sheathing is always a move action. Maybe try to get access to the Hustle psionic power to get an extra move action each turn, if you don't want to use a quickrazor.

So yeah, I think Factotum/Warblade is the way to go. Factotum will help you get some nice bonuses to Iaijutsu, Warblade will help with rendering the target flat-footed, and both have some nice INT synergy (which renders you slightly MAD, unfortunately, since you'll want INT to fuel the Factotum and Warblade abilities, CHA for Iaijutsu, DEX for initiative, and whatever STR/CON a melee type needs). I suppose a couple levels in Marshal to get Motivate DEX and Motivate CHA would help reduce this MAD, since you could use your CHA for initiative and add it twice to Iaijutsu, but I'd rather have more levels in Warblade.

I'm not sure you really need a high starting CHA if you aren't going into Iaijutsu master. Generally ranks in the skill and cloaks of charisma are going to dwarf your natural charisma modifier, unless you really focus on building your cha. And once you can reliably get the +9d6(going to be awhile, since you need to roll above 50), you don't really need more unless you go epic.

If you are going iaijutsu master, you of course want as much CHA as possible, just because you get to add your charisma mod to each iaijutsu damage die(so if you get 9d6 on the roll, you add your CHA mod*9 to your damage, so an extra 90 damage with 30 cha). You also get cha mod to your initiative, to help win initiative. In iaijutsu master though, STR isn't as important since it gives you weapon finesse on the first level, and lets you use it with a katana, in addition to the normal finesse weapons.