PDA

View Full Version : Building a harpooning character

Drogorn
2009-05-21, 07:55 PM
On a whim, I thought that a harpoon wielding melee character would be fun to play. What would such a character need to be viable? I envision him harpooning fliers and climbing up the rope to deliver the beatdown. (or yanking flying spellcasters out of the sky)

So far, it looks like he'd want Prof: harpoon, brutal throw, and perhaps some trip feats to knock the flier out of the sky. He'd want a one/two-handed weapon, probably a longsword, so he can use it while holding onto the rope. He'd probably want power attack, because it allows so much damage. What else would be helpful?

woodenbandman
2009-05-21, 08:07 PM
If you start at level 7 or higher, ditch brutal throw. As a Bloodstorm Blade level2 (which your build will definitely want), you get free Thunderous Throw, which takes your swift action to treat all your ranged attacks as melee attacks, which means that, among other things, you can trip, knockback, disarm, sunder, and Power attack with your weapon, assuming it's capable of such.

For a harpooneer, I'd suggest the following classes, either some or all of the way:

Warblade (base class, really cool)
Bloodstorm Blade (PrC)
Master Thrower(PrC)

And there was one more I forget what it is though.

That's a good start. Bloodstorm Blade is pretty awesome, you should check it. Also note that technically there's nothing preventing you from power attacking in conjunction with the Master Thrower ability to toss 2 weapons at once.

sonofzeal
2009-05-21, 08:21 PM
Check the Monster Manual 5, under Kuo-Toa, on the "Harpooner" page. They've got an exotic Harpoon weapon which is pretty interesting, might be up your ally. More of a Battlefield Control thing than a damage thing, but still a good option.

Drogorn
2009-05-21, 08:57 PM
Looking at that harpoon, it's basically the same except for the added kuo-tua abilities(which come from the kuo-tua, not the harpoon), and some movement penalties for the harpooned guy, which aren't relevant anyway as long as I hold the rope. Another difference is that the kuo-tua harpoon only deals 1d10 damage if it is pulled out, whereas the normal harpoon deals the same damage it did going in. That makes a big difference if I can use power attack for throwing.

Faleldir
2009-05-21, 09:00 PM
If you want to play a Bloodstorm Blade, consider taking a level of Bear Totem Barbarian for Improved Grab. Some DMs will let you pull opponents into your space if it fits your character concept.

Drogorn
2009-05-21, 09:07 PM
Well, grappling tends to get less useful later. I was thinking of perhaps taking Knockdown (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), which would also go very nicely with bloodstorm blade. Ranged automatic trip? Yes please.

FatherMalkav
2009-05-21, 09:17 PM
I was playing with a similar idea. So props to the thread. I know Master Thrower is CompWar (I think) but where's Bloodstorm Blade from?

Drogorn
2009-05-21, 09:24 PM
Bloodstorm blade is in Tome of Battle.

RTGoodman
2009-05-21, 09:24 PM
Bloodstorm Blade is from Tome of Battle, along with the Warblade woodenbandman mentioned.

EDIT: Dang ninjas.

FatherMalkav
2009-05-21, 09:30 PM
I assumed but wasn't sure. Thanks :)

Drogorn
2009-05-21, 09:32 PM
It looks to me like I could later upgrade to a fleshgrinding weapon with a rope attached to it, as well. That would make it require a dc 20 strength check to remove.