PDA

View Full Version : The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2!!!

Skippy
2009-05-22, 09:56 AM
That's right, people, it's finally here, just when we thought they wouldn't release it, they did!

Go and see it for yourself! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1WSvEJE4s)

Rogue 7
2009-05-22, 10:43 AM
Sweet Cracker Sandwich, fansubs already? That was very fast. Will watch when I get home.

Comet
2009-05-22, 11:19 AM
That was nice. Lots of stuff happening, some classic moments and all around a great first episode to a new series of awesome.

Nameless
2009-05-22, 11:37 AM
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!111ONEONEELEVENTYONE

*Gleeeeeeee* :biggrin:

Haruki-kun
2009-05-22, 11:49 AM
Sweet Cracker Sandwich, fansubs already? That was very fast. Will watch when I get home.

Since last night! They were out a couple of hours after the episode aired in Japan. :smallbiggrin:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/youwantsomesubs.jpg

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-22, 02:38 PM
Yes, the fansubs are out, and quite good.

I'm glad to see this show back in production, and I'm also glad I totally called the first new episode like two years ago.

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody: at last, some crap actually sort of gets explained only not really.

The best part was probably the wishes, really.

"Give me money."

kamikasei
2009-05-22, 02:47 PM
This pleases me.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-22, 03:02 PM
My thoughts?

Unique.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-22, 03:04 PM
My thoughts?

Unique.My thoughts?

Kawaii.

darkblade
2009-05-22, 03:33 PM
But but but I haven't caught up on the Light Novel translations now the show is gonna spoil more then it did last time...oh well yay season 2!

I don't know if it is just a side effect of reading the novel before the cooresponding episode this time but it didn't seem as close a scene for scene recreation this time around. Then again I didn't like the Bamboo Rhapsody story to begin with.

Drascin
2009-05-22, 03:38 PM
Yes, the fansubs are out, and quite good.

Really? That's good. Gonna go find a download now.

Dude, finally, it's here. Second season at last! I just failed my Calculus final (again), and I don't even care because I get more Haruhi! Wheeeee!

If you don't mind, I need to go jump around in happiness now :smallbiggrin:.

kamikasei
2009-05-22, 03:52 PM
Presumably though, going by the way they've released it, this will be the only new episode until they finish airing the rest of the original season. Sadly. Quite a wait yet.

edit: However, the episode is quite good, so jump away.

Hunter Noventa
2009-05-22, 03:53 PM
Bleh, watching mkvs or youtube is not the way to watch anime. I'll have to wait for the avis.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-22, 04:07 PM
What the hell is the difference between mkv and avi, anyway? I've never noticed a difference.

hanzo66
2009-05-22, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah! Just Watching it. Didn't even know it was coming out.

Partytime.
http://www.dog-birthday-parties.com/images/party-dog-303x365.jpg

kamikasei
2009-05-22, 04:42 PM
What the hell is the difference between mkv and avi, anyway? I've never noticed a difference.

Both are container formats, which link the video, audio, subs etc. together. Both support a variety of different codecs which do the work of compressing the data and are optimized for different qualities given different sorts of inputs. So any difference between video quality in mkvs and avis should be purely due to other factors influencing which codecs are more likely to be used by the people who favour which format. There's no reason that an mkv should be considered lower quality than an avi.

Maybe Hunter Novena prefers hardcoded subs to softcoded ones?

Drascin
2009-05-22, 04:43 PM
Presumably though, going by the way they've released it, this will be the only new episode until they finish airing the rest of the original season. Sadly. Quite a wait yet.

Right now, just after seeing the episode, I don't even care. I'm too pumped. I swear I threw my fist in the air when the ED finally appeared - it seemed to clinch it in a way, yes it was the full episode, yes we really were getting a new season, yes it's going to be awesome. Hell yeah!

As for the episode, I had already read Bamboo (I tried to not read the novels until the anime came, to not spoil myself too much for it, but I did read that one), but it does seem they deviated a bit more from the book events than previously - same base, but shifted around details. No complaints here, gotta make it interesting for the people following the books too, after all.

Rogue 7
2009-05-22, 07:39 PM
Dammit, part 2 quit on me in the middle of it, and it's not loading again.

Edit, nevermind. Awesome. Did Haruhi always bounce that much when she talked?

Enlong
2009-05-22, 08:00 PM
Dammit, part 2 quit on me in the middle of it, and it's not loading again.

If yer using Youtube, try appending &fmt=18. That usually works. Or else just click on the un-loaded parts in the time bar.

hanzo66
2009-05-23, 12:56 AM
I take it they were releasing it just when people were not going to be thinking of it. Basically it was a "Oh, it came out-WHAT?!" situation.

RebelRogue
2009-05-23, 01:35 AM
Excellent episode!:smallsmile:

Helanna
2009-05-23, 10:38 AM
I love these boards so much. My other option would be to wait until I saw passing references to Season 2 on TV Tropes, and who knows how long that would take? Much faster to get all my update info from right here. :smalltongue:

Also, I don't know what kind of person watches a tv show and thinks "Wow, I bet some poor, English-speaking, non-Japanese speaking people really want to watch this, I should spend a couple of hours making a fansub for them", but whoever does that is truly amazing.

B-Man
2009-05-23, 03:45 PM
Did KyoAni delay this so that the time travelling would be a reference that the original aired three years ago? If they did... wow.

Boo
2009-05-23, 06:20 PM
Did KyoAni delay this so that the time travelling would be a reference that the original aired three years ago? If they did... wow.

Let's *bounce* go *bounce* with *bounce* that *bounce* and *bounce* call *bounce* it *bounce* a *bounce* day. ...*bounce*

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-23, 07:33 PM
Man, I really wanted to be excited about this episode. I really did. But, while I can't deny it was good, I feel that it represents the series as a whole: decent and enjoyable, but needlessly confusing and overhyped and underwhelming. I couldn't feel any deep-seated emotion for any of the characters in the first season, and it continues on into the second season. It was rushed too fast to let us feel what the characters were thinking about. There wasn't any real meaningful interaction between the characters that made me think, "Ohhhh, so that's how it is." I just feel let down by the enormous wait.

I still liked it, and I'm still going to watch more, but quite frankly, Haruhi doesn't deserve the hype and reputation it gets, and the loooonnngg wait for this season just doesn't seem to be worth it.

thubby
2009-05-24, 03:41 AM
to be honest i never saw the appeal of that show.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-24, 06:30 AM
To be fair, most slice-of-life shows induce nothing other than pure loathing to me.

Cubey
2009-05-24, 06:39 AM
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is hardly a slice of life show. It may look like it at the first glance, but it is not.

Wraithy
2009-05-24, 06:51 AM
To be fair, most slice-of-life shows induce nothing other than pure loathing to me.

Even if their climax involves the destruction of the world?

Xuincherguixe
2009-05-24, 06:53 AM
Man, I really wanted to be excited about this episode. I really did. But, while I can't deny it was good, I feel that it represents the series as a whole: decent and enjoyable, but needlessly confusing and overhyped and underwhelming.

I don't about the latter two, but isn't being confusing part of the point?

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-24, 08:11 AM
I don't about the latter two, but isn't being confusing part of the point?

Yes. Doesn't make it not bad and unnecessary, though.

Haruhi is slice of life. Sure, some events have to do with supernatural stuff, some have to do with Haruhi's godlike antics, but peel away all that, and its just a bunch of kids in high school hanging out together.

Its pretty good that they make it kinda enjoyable. Still, slice of life shows will never, ever be great in my eyes. (Yes, I watched CLANNAD, AD, Genshiken, etc. etc., and I hated them all with a passion.)

Tengu_temp
2009-05-24, 08:32 AM
Haruhi is slice of life. Sure, some events have to do with supernatural stuff, some have to do with Haruhi's godlike antics, but peel away all that, and its just a bunch of kids in high school hanging out together.

Full Metal Panic is slice of life. Sure, some events have to do with mecha and terrorists, some have to do with Sagara's fish-out-of-water antics, but peel away all that, and its just a bunch of kids in high school and soldiers hanging out together.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-24, 09:27 AM
Full Metal Panic is slice of life. Sure, some events have to do with mecha and terrorists, some have to do with Sagara's fish-out-of-water antics, but peel away all that, and its just a bunch of kids in high school and soldiers hanging out together.

Yeah, how did you know that?

No, my point is that there is no central plot. Once something happens, it does not affect later occurrences in any major way.

And no, I'm not talking about the light novels. They are not slice of life, I admit it. Still not a masterpiece, or even great, by any means.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-24, 10:21 AM
Haruhi is a plot-driven series. Slice of life series don't have any plots, they just follow the everyday lives of characters involved.

If one follows your way of thinking, then Mushi-shi is a slice of life series too, because its episodes are independent of each other and their plots are only loosely connected.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-24, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't call Haruhi slice of life, but I wouldn't call CLANNAD (galge/h game derived romance) or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (gag series) slice of life either.

My description of my idea of "slice of life" would be "kitchen sink drama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_sink_drama) without the drama". Slice of life is a close cousin to sit com and soap opera. If a series isn't mundane enough, it isn't slice of life. You could have a sci fi slice of life show set on a moonbase, but everyone would have to treat the story setting as normal and you wouldn't have the characters fighting off alien invasions (unless those fights were off screen, you could make a slice of life show about "lesure time of the galactic heroes" or whatever).

Slice of life shows can have continuity and ongoing plots, what they don't carry across between episodes (or scenes often) is tension. While an episodic show won't do that either, they'll at least have tension or drama, while a slice of life show would have very little. If "the daily lives and work/school life of a group of people" was all you needed to define slice of life then most cop shows would count.

You could for example say that K-On was a bit like Beck, since they're both about people in school who are in bands, but K-On is a lot more slice of life than Beck is. Though most moemoe stories could easily be considered slice of life.

Haruhi is essentially about teenage angst. This is disguised slightly by the zany heroine, but angst is central to Kyon and Haruhi's motivations. A slice of life show would have almost no angst what so ever. Haruhi is far from a slice of life show on a thematic level (partly in that a slice of life show is unlikely to have any themes at all).

Attilargh
2009-05-24, 03:00 PM
And so it came to pass, that on the third year after the passing of Haruhi Suzumiya, our Lady of Melancholy rose again. And in Her footsteps returned a.f.k., Her prophet, whose holy mission was to deliver the message of Haruhi to the English-speaking masses of this world we call Internet, unblemished by petty hatred and pop-culture references of the false prophet Koda.

Tl;dr: Guess who's back in the fansubbing scene?

I really liked that Delorean line, though.

Ædit: Apart from that, however, I have to say the a.f.k. translation is much better than CoalGuys'.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 12:30 AM
I got the Live-eviL/Dattebayo subs. They got the message across, even if they weren't super-creative.

And anyway, the whole point of Haruhi is to mix up genres and expectations. I'm not saying that makes it a brilliant show (there's no such thing as a brilliant TV show, only an entertaining one), but it does mean you can't call it either slice-of-life or not slice-of-life. It's intentionally both at once. It's partly about the aimless lives of teenagers, but there's also dramatic tension and long-running plot threads.

Artemician
2009-05-25, 03:25 AM
And so it came to pass, that on the third year after the passing of Haruhi Suzumiya, our Lady of Melancholy rose again. And in Her footsteps returned a.f.k., Her prophet, whose holy mission was to deliver the message of Haruhi to the English-speaking masses of this world we call Internet, unblemished by petty hatred and pop-culture references of the false prophet Koda.

Tl;dr: Guess who's back in the fansubbing scene?

I really liked that Delorean line, though.

Ædit: Apart from that, however, I have to say the a.f.k. translation is much better than CoalGuys'.
How's the video quality though?

130 Megs seems a tad... small. It's impossible, even for a targetting computer.

EDIT: It's an avi, there's not even that excuse that it's in h264. Mmm.

kamikasei
2009-05-25, 03:54 AM
How's the video quality though?

Pretty good actually, not noticeably worse than the first season from the same guys (at least, to my eyes) and considerably better than the Dattebayo release.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 10:53 AM
I don't really care about video quality. As long as it's got enough resolution to tell when Yuki's expression changes, I consider that a good enough metric.

Jahkaivah
2009-05-25, 03:20 PM
I don't really care about video quality. As long as it's got enough resolution to tell when Yuki's expression changes, I consider that a good enough metric.

They change?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 03:33 PM
They change?It's mainly the size and reflection quality of her eyes (good thing this is anime so they're gigantic).

darkblade
2009-05-28, 03:16 PM
Since that was apparently in the middle of the re-broadcast of the first season does anyone know about where in the middle of the broadcast order they placed it?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-28, 03:24 PM
I would assume after The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6 and before The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, since they're showing them in chronological order and a) that's a convenient halfway point and b) that's where it goes in chronological order.

Cúchulainn
2009-05-28, 04:57 PM
So anyway I decided to take a look at this because of all the hype so I downloaded the first episode of the 'first' season. I accidently got the dubbed version. It was probably the funniest thing I've ever watched. I...don't know what else to say.

Attilargh
2009-05-28, 05:07 PM
I, uh... Hope you enjoy the rest of Haruhi as well. I guess.

I think you're the first person I've seen to have that sort of reaction at it.

Prime32
2009-05-28, 05:11 PM
I, uh... Hope you enjoy the rest of Haruhi as well. I guess.

I think you're the first person I've seen to have that sort of reaction at it.
Well the first episode in broadcast order had "MI- MI- MIKURU BEAM!" My friends had that reaction too.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-28, 07:39 PM
I don't know, none of the episodes were ever really that funny to me. They made me chuckle at times, but they never reached laugh-out-loud Yahtzee levels.

Nameless
2009-05-28, 07:45 PM
*Is still waiting for English dub version because is too lazy to read the subbed version*

Hermit
2009-05-29, 09:08 AM
Since that was apparently in the middle of the re-broadcast of the first season does anyone know about where in the middle of the broadcast order they placed it?

Wikipedia has the answer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes#The_Melancholy_of _Haruhi_Suzumiya_.282009_version.29)

They basically showed all the parts of Melancholy, followed by Boredom (the baseball game). It's running in chronological order so far.

Also, awesome episode.

_Zoot_
2009-05-31, 04:05 AM
WOOOOO!

And, because there seem to be a lot of fans of the show here (or at least a lot of people with the banner) i might as well ask.....

I'm new to the series but i have read the manga on onemanga.com (up to chapter 15) and i have watched the first season on youtube. What else is there to look into? People keep talking about light books.... what are they?

And were can i get one of those banners?

kamikasei
2009-05-31, 07:09 AM
People keep talking about light books.... what are they?

The light novels are the original format of the franchise. They're basically just illustrated books. They're being gradually fan-translated here (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi). There's also a gender-swapped translation here (http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruki_no_Seitenkan), which is (not quite) the source of Kyonko, the character in my own banner.

And were can i get one of those banners?

They were made by Gorbash Kazdar. They can be found here (http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/sosbanner/).

Mirrinus
2009-05-31, 06:36 PM
Spoilers for speculation about future episodes.

With any luck, we'll be getting Endless Eight in three weeks, right?

Makes me wonder which story they'll end on. Snow Mountain Syndrome is nice as a finale climax following Disappearance, but chronologically it technically ends with Where Did the Cat Go?. I'm personally hoping for Tanigawa Nagaru to pen another anime-original episode to wrap it up (maybe also set the stage for season 3 with Intrigues, lol).

I'm guessing they won't animate The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru this season, as it basically plays the same roll as Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody for a possible season 3.