PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick, Epilogue?

phoamslinger
2009-05-22, 10:51 AM
So when Roy and company finally beat Xykon and the rest, and Eugene gets to pass into heaven, what then? What will the final closing comic show?

I'm thinking that even if Eugene gets in, there's nothing there for him and he ends up back at the cloud entrance level watching the mortal realm, looking unhappy. Years go by and Roy eventually dies, forgives his dad and they go back up together. Fade to black, or walking off into a sunrise, whichever works.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Ancalagon
2009-05-22, 10:52 AM
I do not mind long epilogues that fill in more info about what happend.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-22, 11:00 AM
Anyone have any other ideas?

Cut to some unknown period of time seemingly far in the future. From a high point some way away MitD and two young MitD look down on the ruin of Azure City.

End.

Cookie to anyone who gets the reference (disappointing as it was).

Feldkhon
2009-05-22, 11:12 AM
Cookie to anyone who gets the reference (disappointing as it was).

Final Fantasy VII ending :smalltongue:

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-22, 11:16 AM
Final Fantasy VII ending :smalltongue:

Correct. Turns out I didn't have a cookie, so here is Xykon's skull. :xykon:

Yoyoyo
2009-05-22, 11:44 AM
Correct. Turns out I didn't have a cookie, so here is Xykon's skull. :xykon:

I am so making Xykon skull cookies this weekend.

Linkavitch
2009-05-22, 12:13 PM
I am so making Xykon skull cookies this weekend.

Can I come over and help? I'll bring the raspberry chips for his eye crystals.

On second thought, never mind. That would taste gross.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-22, 12:20 PM
It would be nice to have Eugene and Roy making up when Roy dies of old age (the Greenhilt family reminds me of The Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIIBFOePISY), so it would be nice to see some closure). I'm guessing that it would mainly be summaries of what happened to all the characters who manage to survive the comic. I suppose seeing some Goblins over-looking Azure City with some humans would be a nice ending if all of the races manage to put their differences aside in the end as well, though.

Lissou
2009-05-22, 04:00 PM
Can I come over and help? I'll bring the raspberry chips for his eye crystals.

On second thought, never mind. That would taste gross.

Not necessarily. Raspberry goes well with chocolate, and vanilla goes well with anything. Make the skull vanilla or white chocolate dough, add raspberry chips in the middle of chocolate chips for the eyes, it would probably taste nice.

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-22, 11:10 PM
I actually think that the comic will end with Belkar somehow. Think about it: Belkar's gonna die. Seeing as we're 4 arcs into a 6+ arc story, and how Belkar's going to die (most likely) in the 5th arc, there will be a lot of missing space with Belkar. I actually think that we won't see Belkar in the afterlife untill the very end of the story, and maybe we'll see him be "redeemed" and he'll be taken out of Hell (or whatever the D&D Chaotic Evil afterlife is, I don't care) and be brought to a Chaotic Neutral afterlife instead.

Silverraptor
2009-05-22, 11:15 PM
Shadow;6138870']I actually think that the comic will end with Belkar somehow. Think about it: Belkar's gonna die. Seeing as we're 4 arcs into a 6+ arc story, and how Belkar's going to die (most likely) in the 5th arc, there will be a lot of missing space with Belkar. I actually think that we won't see Belkar in the afterlife untill the very end of the story, and maybe we'll see him be "redeemed" and he'll be taken out of Hell (or whatever the D&D Chaotic Evil afterlife is, I don't care) and be brought to a Chaotic Neutral afterlife instead.

Hello, Operator? Can you patch me into the Immpossible Ideas hotline?

Shadowbane
2009-05-23, 01:27 AM
With Belkar, I just think the Sexy Shoeless God of War thing is just a massive foreshadowing disguised as a joke.

Cracklord
2009-05-23, 02:06 AM
Personally, I think that the epilogue depends to much on how the story ends to be accurately predicted. But I don't think it will end with Belkar. He doesn't contribute much to the plot, he's a very popular gag character. I can't see him as being the comic's closure.

FujinAkari
2009-05-23, 02:46 AM
While I don't think it should be -the- epilogue, I do hope we eventually get some closure on Miko. She was too big a character for us not to know how she fared in the afterlife, she seemed to die right as she began understanding how to live.

That said, I would be greatly disappointed if she was the last thing Rich addressed, so I would be in favor of a long epilogue that merely included her somewhere towards the beginning.

Hawriel
2009-05-23, 04:29 AM
I got all the closer I needed with Miko when she died.

Blackjackg
2009-05-23, 10:38 AM
We know what happened to Miko in the afterlife; Soon told us. That's all the closure she deserved, and then some.

Susil
2009-05-23, 10:52 AM
Epilogue will be fine, as long as it isn't like that horrible thing stuck onto the end of Harry Potter...

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-23, 11:20 AM
Hello, Operator? Can you patch me into the Immpossible Ideas hotline?

More implausible things have happened. Besides, I've never claimed to be right.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-23, 01:27 PM
I don't remember anything specific about where Miko would end up being said by Soon (we know she won't be with the other Paladins, but there are a lot of other possibilities).

Volkov
2009-05-23, 02:58 PM
There is no epilogue, the story will end monty python and the quest for the holy grail style.

Eric O'Really
2009-05-23, 03:38 PM
maybe all this speculation is a little early. were probably not nearly half way through the story, i think. there are two, probably 3, gates left to explore and there is no telling, what will happen when they reach the last gate. until now, it took about 450 strips to resolve the story arc of the azure city gate. they havent even started their searching for the third gate yet. the last strips seemed to lead into the direction of getting the order and the main villains moving again, but it still hasent happened yet.

xykon mentioned that using a gate was merely the first step to conquer the
world. there is no telling how many more story acrs will open, if hes successful.
maybe the snarl gets unleashed and they will have to take on the desperate task of finding a way of destroying (or binding) it.

(i didnt read SOD and i dont know, if there was any background on this, so all i know is, that everybody assumes that lirian's gate was destroyed by a forest fire. i somehow doubt it was destroyed and instead will have to play its part later in the story.)

so there is no telling, how the story will develop and how an epilogue could look like.

Volkov
2009-05-23, 03:40 PM
maybe all this speculation is a little early. were probably not nearly half way through the story, i think. there are two, probably 3, gates left to explore and there is no telling, what will happen when they reach the last gate. until now, it took about 450 strips to resolve the story arc about the azure city gate. they havent even started their searching for the third gate yet. the last strips seemed to lead into the direction of getting the order and the main villains moving again, but it still hasent happened yet.

xykon mentioned that using a gate was merely the first step to conquer the
world. there is no telling how many more story acrs will open, if hes successful.
maybe the snarl gets unleashed and they will have to take on the desperate task of finding a way of destroying (or binding) it.

(i didnt read SOD and i dont know, if there was any background on this, so all i know is, that everybody assumes that lirian's gate was destroyed by a forest fire. i somehow doubt it was destroyed and instead will have to play its part later in the story.)

so there is no telling, how the story will develop and how an epiloge could look like.

It was destroyed in SOD, very clearly destroyed. Very utterly destroyed.

Eric O'Really
2009-05-23, 03:46 PM
It was destroyed in SOD, very clearly destroyed. Very utterly destroyed.

ok didnt know that, but i still do think that the story is far from over. i forgot the open rifts have to be sealed again, for example.

Scarlet Knight
2009-05-23, 10:58 PM
The last comic reveals that this story has all been told to us by an older Elan. His audience enjoys the tale, but thinks it's fiction. Elan walks away & into an ice cream parlor run by his wife, Haley. We see Thog is his best employee. Haley says it's time and Elan begins holding Banjo services for the patrons....

:smallsmile:

Zolem
2009-05-23, 11:02 PM
Epilogue will be fine, as long as it isn't like that horrible thing stuck onto the end of Harry Potter...

...but I liked that ending.:smallfrown:

FujinAkari
2009-05-24, 12:43 AM
We know what happened to Miko in the afterlife; Soon told us. That's all the closure she deserved, and then some.

Obviously you weren't paying attention... Soon left Miko's fate exceedingly vague. We are unaware what afterlife she ended up in, whether she ever grew to admit her failures, and whether she achieved peace at the close of her existence, or still rages to put meaning to her being.

These are too big of questions for a character as pivotal as she was... if EUGENE gets them answered, she certainly should.

AstralFire
2009-05-24, 01:09 AM
The fact that they are unanswered is precisely the point; her level of failure, her sincerity of belief - the uncertainty that the two combined leave us with is the best ending possible for her, from the standpoint of literature. The lessons to take from Miko are her impact on the mortal world, and not where in eternity she ends.

Eerie
2009-05-24, 03:16 PM
OotS will never have an epilogue. In fact, it will never end. Science will soon be able to extend the human life span indefinitely, and Giant will continue to write this comic for billions of years, until the very final moments of the Universe.

And possibly, it won`t end even then...

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-24, 05:54 PM
OotS will never have an epilogue. In fact, it will never end. Science will soon be able to extend the human life span indefinitely, and Giant will continue to write this comic for billions of years, until the very final moments of the Universe.

And possibly, it won`t end even then...

Even though Rich said that he had a definite end in mind? Sometimes, series just need to end. Look at the Simpsons: it's still going on, and it should have ended like 5 years ago.

Altaria87
2009-05-30, 11:48 AM
I think in the end every major character/well kinda major anyway will have a single panel in the last strip showing them, here's a few of my ideas:

Roy and Horace
Shows him and Horace at the very top of the Lawful Good afterlife having a sparring match
Haley and Elan
Shows a picture of the two's wedding, with Therkla's ghost looking on
Durkon
Shows a statue of him in the middle of a Dwarven city with his coffin next to it
V, Kyrie and Julia Greenhilt
Shows V teaching Julia Disintegrate with Kyrie cooking in the background
Belkar
Shows him in his new accended position as the God of War
Nale
Shows him scrying on Elan and Haley's wedding from the Lawful Evil afterlife
Thog
Shows him playing with a group of puppies in the Barbarian's Guild
Sabine and the 3 Fiends
Shows them in the lower planes, around a table discussing tactics to overthrow the world
Hinjo and the Azure City citizens
Shows him standing on top of the ruins of the tower in Azure City, Argent at his side and his sword raised while everyone cheers
Kazumi and Daigo
Shows Kazumi standing next to Daigo on his deathbed while he says "I never did... tell you my... surname"
Celia
Shows her in a courtroom winning a case (I know it sucks but I couldn't think of anything else)
Hiylga and the Cleric of Loki
Shows the 2 commanding a vast army of fire creature swhich is facing an army of goblins (dunno why), maybe revived Xykon's (see below)
Eugene
Shows him slowly struggling to climb the mountian in the LG afterlife
Redcloak, Right-Eye and the Dark One
Shows Redcloak and Right-Eye embracing and making ammends while the Dark One says "Well, it was worth a try"
Xykon
Shows him walking out from a cave saying "Thank the Gods for house-ruled in second phylactorys"

I think that's everyone worth mentioning, anyone I miss?

Istari
2009-05-30, 11:57 AM
With Belkar, I just think the Sexy Shoeless God of War thing is just a massive foreshadowing disguised as a joke.

I this happens I will not be surprised

^Forgot the Oracle and possibly Shonjo

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-05-30, 12:17 PM

well...yeah. the sexy shoesless god of war thing is the reason the cleric healed Belkars mark of justice curse thing. It was kind of importnant.

:smallconfused:

Istari
2009-05-30, 12:23 PM
I believe he saying that Belkar will ascend to godhood thus fulfilling the prophecy since gods don't breath and are ageless so no more birthday cake

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-05-30, 12:31 PM
Shadow;6148344']Even though Rich said that he had a definite end in mind? Sometimes, series just need to end. Look at the Simpsons: it's still going on, and it should have ended like 5 years ago.

Ok, first of all, what the hell? The simpsons is awesome. Don't say that.

second, the simpsons is a really bad example. It is a negative example, (a positive example is saying "this show followed my guidline and it worked out well, proving my point,". A negative example is saying "this show DIDN'T follow my guidline which is why it sucks." Negative examples are almost always dismissed, and many English proffesors mark students down for using them. They are less respected examples because some people may think the show/whatever the example is sucks for other reasons, and some may just flat out disagree and say the show/whathaveyou doesn't suck at all.) and also is not anything like OOTS. The Simpsons does not have a specific plot it follows, like the Harry Potter Books, instead it is made up of many different, mostly unrelated shows, like most cartoon shows are; spongebob, for example.

Now, I do agree with your point. But a better way to say it would have been "Even though Rich said that he had a definite end in mind? Sometimes, series just need to end. Look at Harry Potter; J K Rowling wrapped it all up and left it there, and now the books have closure. Sure, everyone would have loved for the series to go on forever, but it would have gotten old. It's the same principle here, in OOTS."

Altaria87
2009-05-30, 12:38 PM
I this happens I will not be surprised

^Forgot the Oracle and possibly Shonjo

Oh yeah, I also forgot Miko, so I'll do those 3

The Oracle
Shows the Oracle being revived after being torn apart my a Druid

Miko
Shows her in the afterlife talking to Windstiker

Shojo
Shows him in the Chaotic Good afterlife with Mr. Scruffy, watching Mr. Scruffy play with a ball of yarn

Banjo
As the final panel shows him plunging his banjo into the Snarl, killing it once and for all

Blackjackg
2009-05-30, 12:43 PM
Shadow;6148344']Look at the Simpsons: it's still going on, and it should have ended like 5 years ago.

I think you're giving them entirely too much credit. The Simpsons should have ended at least twelve years ago. Maybe more.

Yes, many serials go on far longer than they ever should. This is because generating a good, long-lived idea (in other words, a "meal ticket") is difficult, and once you've hit on one, you never give it up until it stops generating revenue. That's why shows like Heroes have a brilliant first season, then limp on for another three or four years... because the show keeps going after its natural and appropriate ending. It's called "Frankensteining" a series and it's sad, but that's the way that entertainment as a business works.

Okay, Frankensteining is a term that I made up, but I'm hoping it catches on.

This also happens in book series (Xanth, anyone?) and is especially true of comics. Characters live far beyond their natural lifespan and, should any author actually dare to kill one, the next author brings them back. So Eerie may have some precedent to cite in favor of the series going on forever and ever.

But, Rich has indeed stated that the series will end. And since it's a one-man show (as far as I know, Rich holds all rights to this material, and there's no co-author or network exec to contest it), he can actually pull it off. After all, he's got a lot of options ahead of him as a writer and a game designer. When OotS is done, he'll have other projects to move onto. No need to keep writing OotS just to keep iron rations on the table.

Anyway, epilogues. That extra bit that J.K. Rowling tacked onto the end of Harry Potter was far and away the most ridiculous and sophomoric part of a series that was never all that grown-up to begin with. It's the kind of ending I used to tack onto my stories when I was ten, just to show that everyone goes on to have the perfectly just and happy fate.

That's a lot like what Altaria is describing with his "last panels for everyone" approach. A way of seeing that everyone gets exactly what they deserve, so the fans can walk away with complete ease. But the thing is, good writing doesn't work that way. Sometimes, there must be tragedy. Sometimes, things don't make sense. Sometimes, life isn't fair. Not everyone gets the perfect ending. Miko's part in the story has ended, and she's been given thoroughly adequate closure. We'll never see her romping the green fields of the Outlands with Windstriker. Therkla's story has ended. We won't see her come back as a ghost to forgive Elan, and Haley and Elan probably won't name their daughter after her to represent her noble sacrifice.

We have had a few Oracular glimpses of how the story ends, and we have those to look forward to. But if you think all the good guys will get happy "everything turned out perfectly, and if I'm dead, at least I can show up at the end as a ghost at the Ewok party" ending, then you should prepare yourself for big, well-written and well-balanced disappointment.

Lufia
2009-05-30, 12:50 PM
Not exactly related to the discussion at hand, but...

That's why shows like Heroes have a brilliant first season, then limp on for another three or four years...
Urk. Brilliant? Was I really the only one who wanted to slap each and every character every goddamned second of the show? I juste wanted Sylar to kill them all, already, that bunch of air-headed Mary Sues. The only guy I liked was the painter, who, of course, died.

As for an epilogue to OotS, it would be nice to have some closure for the story, however The Giant sees fit to end it.

Altaria87
2009-05-30, 12:51 PM
I think you're giving them entirely too much credit. The Simpsons should have ended at least twelve years ago. Maybe more.

Yes, many serials go on far longer than they ever should. This is because generating a good, long-lived idea (in other words, a "meal ticket") is difficult, and once you've hit on one, you never give it up until it stops generating revenue. That's why shows like Heroes have a brilliant first season, then limp on for another three or four years... because the show keeps going after its natural and appropriate ending. It's called "Frankensteining" a series and it's sad, but that's the way that entertainment as a business works.

Okay, Frankensteining is a term that I made up, but I'm hoping it catches on.

This also happens in book series (Xanth, anyone?) and is especially true of comics. Characters live far beyond their natural lifespan and, should any author actually dare to kill one, the next author brings them back. So Eerie may have some precedent to cite in favor of the series going on forever and ever.

But, Rich has indeed stated that the series will end. And since it's a one-man show (as far as I know, Rich holds all rights to this material, and there's no co-author or network exec to contest it), he can actually pull it off. After all, he's got a lot of options ahead of him as a writer and a game designer. When OotS is done, he'll have other projects to move onto. No need to keep writing OotS just to keep iron rations on the table.

Anyway, epilogues. That extra bit that J.K. Rowling tacked onto the end of Harry Potter was far and away the most ridiculous and sophomoric part of a series that was never all that grown-up to begin with. It's the kind of ending I used to tack onto my stories when I was ten, just to show that everyone goes on to have the perfectly just and happy fate.

That's a lot like what Altaria is describing with his "last panels for everyone" approach. A way of seeing that everyone gets exactly what they deserve, so the fans can walk away with complete ease. But the thing is, good writing doesn't work that way. Sometimes, there must be tragedy. Sometimes, things don't make sense. Sometimes, life isn't fair. Not everyone gets the perfect ending. Miko's part in the story has ended, and she's been given thoroughly adequate closure. We'll never see her romping the green fields of the Outlands with Windstriker. Therkla's story has ended. We won't see her come back as a ghost to forgive Elan, and Haley and Elan probably won't name their daughter after her to represent her noble sacrifice.

We have had a few Oracular glimpses of how the story ends, and we have those to look forward to. But if you think all the good guys will get happy "everything turned out perfectly, and if I'm dead, at least I can show up at the end as a ghost at the Ewok party" ending, then you should prepare yourself for big, well-written and well-balanced disappointment.

I guess you have a point there:smallsigh:, but we can hope that maybe in the end Rich could at least give recognition to all the characters which had played a major role in a past part of the story, though what you said is probably more likely. But I put a lot of work into those things:smallfrown: so I hope some people will appreciate at least some of them (I personally think my idea for Hinjo's last appearence is quite good, but your milage may vary).
On a completely unrelated note, what's with the Simpsons hate, I agree it has decayed slightly over the years, but it IS still funny IMO, but again YMMV.
Incidentally I'm gonna use the term 'Frankensteining' if it ever comes up :smallwink:

fishguy
2009-05-30, 12:55 PM
Celia
Shows her in a courtroom winning a case (I know it sucks but I couldn't think of anything else)

How about showing her with a winged but dark skinned young lad,

Celia: This great sword belonged to your father, he carried it everywhere, your surname is from the green hilt of this sword
Roy Jr.: Cooool!!! *points sword forward, bolt of lightning shoots out the end*
Celia: Whoa! I didn't know you could do that!
Roy Jr.: M-m-me neither!

Blackjackg
2009-05-30, 12:59 PM
I guess you have a point there:smallsigh:, but we can hope that maybe in the end Rich could at least give recognition to all the characters which had played a major role in a past part of the story, though what you said is probably more likely. But I put a lot of work into those things:smallfrown: so I hope some people will appreciate at least some of them (I personally think my idea for Hinjo's last appearence is quite good, but your milage may vary).
On a completely unrelated note, what's with the Simpsons hate, I agree it has decayed slightly over the years, but it IS still funny IMO, but again YMMV.
Incidentally I'm gonna use the term 'Frankensteining' if it ever comes up :smallwink:

Sorry, I didn't mean to deride your efforts. In fact, if someone had given me the task of finding the perfect happy (or appropriately sad) ending for every single character, I probably would have come up with some similar stuff. However, a perfect ending for every character is both unlikely, and probably undesirable. We should be left with some ambiguity, and some unhappiness. That will make us miss the world even more. In a weird way, giving everyone exactly what they deserve is too easy.

Altaria87
2009-05-30, 01:08 PM
How about showing her with a winged but dark skinned young lad,

Celia: This great sword belonged to your father, he carried it everywhere, your surname is from the green hilt of this sword
Roy Jr.: Cooool!!! *points sword forward, bolt of lightning shoots out the end*
Celia: Whoa! I didn't know you could do that!
Roy Jr.: M-m-me neither!
I very much like that idea actually, good job.

Sorry, I didn't mean to deride your efforts. In fact, if someone had given me the task of finding the perfect happy (or appropriately sad) ending for every single character, I probably would have come up with some similar stuff. However, a perfect ending for every character is both unlikely, and probably undesirable. We should be left with some ambiguity, and some unhappiness. That will make us miss the world even more. In a weird way, giving everyone exactly what they deserve is too easy.
It's fine, I know what you mean. But as I said, even if it is unlikely the least we could do is hope :smallbiggrin: