Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Effect: One half-circle or two quarter-circle warfans of fire
Duration: 1 round/level (D); see text
Saving Throw: None or Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: No

In each of your hands, fans of fire appear. You can wield them as if they were warfans, and each of them deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 3 caster levels (maximum 3d4).

Alternately, you can create a single fan of fire that deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d4).

As a swift action, you can end the spell and create a blast of flame identical to the effect of a burning hands spell as cast by someone of your caster level, except that the save DC is for a second-level spell.

You are considered proficient with these fans of fire for the duration of the spell.

Pirata
2006-07-31, 04:53 PM
you automatically become proficient with the warfans for the duration of the spell? otherwise this spell is pretty useless, even in EK builds.

jdrich
2006-07-31, 06:17 PM
This would be a 3rd or 4th level spell at least, unless you:

A - Changed the duration to 1 round/level
B - Create only 1 fan.

The reason is simple - a humble Fighter/Mage with this spell could deal 30d4 fire damage per round at level 20 while hasted, bypassing most DR, plus cast a quickened spell.

A min-maxed Gish could probably deal upwards of 300 fire damage per round, plus that quickened spell.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-31, 06:22 PM
you automatically become proficient with the warfans for the duration of the spell? otherwise this spell is pretty useless, even in EK builds.

Ummmm... EK?

To answer your question, as it is now, you do not automatically gain proficiency. Jonathan, would that be enough to bring it down to level 2?

jdrich
2006-07-31, 06:42 PM
No. A fighter could blow a feat to gain proficiency, and if you aren't proficient, why ever cast the spell?

An example:

A 4th level caster intending to become an eldritch knight could create 2 of these and attack twice per round with TWF, dealing 4d4+8 damage and possibly more with power attack. Average damage 18.

A 4th level fighter can deal 2d6+8 damage, more with power attack. Average damage 15.

There's no reason that a mage should be able to do more melee damage than a fighter.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-31, 06:57 PM
Okay, I hadn't considered it from the angle of average damage. Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the +8 from?

This would be a 3rd or 4th level spell at least, unless you:

A - Changed the duration to 1 round/level
B - Create only 1 fan.

Is this an either/or? Cause I like A.

jdrich
2006-07-31, 07:40 PM
Both.

If you like the two fan thing, then I'd say make it 1d4/4 levels, max 3d4.

I like the two-fan flavor, but then you get into the deal with TWF and the like. Perhaps the spell can create a single half-circle fan that tops out at 5d4 or two fans that top out at 3d4 each.

I think the spell should grant proficiency. Otherwise, it's fairly useless.

I got +8 from +2 str/+2 str and +2 specialization/+2 specialization. At level 20, that +8 would probably be +16 or more.

Let me present a more polished version, see if you like it:

Mariko’s Burning Fans

Conjuration [Fire]
Effect: one half-circle or two quarter-circle warfans of fire

In each of your hands, fans of fire appear. You can wield them as if they were warfans, and each of them deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 4 caster levels (maximum 3d4).

Alternately, you can create a single fan of fire that deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 3 caster levels (maximum 5d4).

As a swift action, you can end the spell and create a blast of flame identical to the effect of a burning hands spell as cast by someone of your caster level, except that the save DC is for a second-level spell.

You are considered proficient with these fans of fire for the duration of the spell.

By changing the spell to conjuration, you negate the SR worry and it becomes fire, instead of magical fire.

Fizban
2006-07-31, 08:16 PM
way too powerful in the op, compare to flame dagger, in spell compendium or magic of faerun: 1d4 +1/level (max+10), one dagger only, 1 min/level.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-31, 10:17 PM
Both.

If you like the two fan thing, then I'd say make it 1d4/4 levels, max 3d4.

I like the two-fan flavor, but then you get into the deal with TWF and the like. Perhaps the spell can create a single half-circle fan that tops out at 5d4 or two fans that top out at 3d4 each.

I think the spell should grant proficiency. Otherwise, it's fairly useless.

I got +8 from +2 str/+2 str and +2 specialization/+2 specialization. At level 20, that +8 would probably be +16 or more.

Let me present a more polished version, see if you like it:

Mariko’s Burning Fans

Conjuration [Fire]
Effect: one half-circle or two quarter-circle warfans of fire

In each of your hands, fans of fire appear. You can wield them as if they were warfans, and each of them deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 4 caster levels (maximum 3d4).

Alternately, you can create a single fan of fire that deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 3 caster levels (maximum 5d4).

By changing the spell to conjuration, you negate the SR worry and it becomes fire, instead of magical fire.

I do like that. Thanks.

If I were to have a Greater version of this spell, mostly as in the OP, but Conjuration instead of Evocation, what level would that be?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 03:30 PM
Mariko’s Greater Burning Fans
Conjuration [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Effect: Two quarter-circle warfans of fire
Duration: 1 minute/level (D); see text

In each of your hands, fans of semi-solid fire appear. You can wield them as if they were warfans, and each of them deals 1d4 points of fire damage per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d4). You add your Strength bonus as normal.

As a swift action, you can end the spell and create a blast of flame identical to the effect of a burning hands spell as cast by someone of your caster level, except that the save DC is for a 4th-level spell.

[hr]
Should this be a 5th level spell instead?

And in the 2nd-level version, I changed the 1d4/4 levels (3d4) and 1d4/3 levels (5d4) to 1d4/3 levels (3d4) and 1d4/2 levels (5d4). Is that okay?

Fizban
2006-08-01, 11:55 PM
Looks ok to me, a comperable 4th level spell would be flame whips: 1 round/level, two attacks with 15' reach, dealing 6d6 fire each, magic items on your arms don't work and you can't use material coponents. The greater fans last longer, and deal less damage, and have no reach.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-02, 12:03 AM
Looks ok to me, a comperable 4th level spell would be flame whips: 1 round/level, two attacks with 15' reach, dealing 6d6 fire each, magic items on your arms don't work and you can't use material coponents. The greater fans last longer, and deal less damage, and have no reach.
Thanks. Now what about the 2nd-level version in the OP?