PDA

View Full Version : City Gnomes

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 04:44 PM
Generations after gnomes first moved into the cities of the big folk, they found their talents with illusions and connection to the earth fading. To compensate for that loss, the city-dwelling gnomes threw themselves into honing their already impressive mechanical skills. The gnomes of the cities are now master tinkerers and inventors.

City gnomes lose the following abilities from the Player's Handbook:
· Bonus to saves against illusions.
· +1 to the DC to all illusion spells cast by gnomes.
· +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
· +4 dodge bonus against creatures of the giant type.
· All spell-like abilities.
City gnomes gain or change the following abilities:
· Alertness: City gnomes gain the Alertness feat for free at first level. No longer able to tell instinctually what is real and what is an illusion, city gnomes sharpen their already acute sense.
· +2 racial bonus on Craft, Disable Device, and Open Lock checks: as city gnome technological prowess far outstrips any other race's, they have an innate understanding of all things mechanical.
· Jury-Rig (Ex): 2/day, a city gnome may make a Craft (locksmithing) check against DC 15 to create a jury-rigged clockwork gadget out of a lock and whatever is handy. This gadget can have a variety of effects, depending on what it is made of; for example, it could be made into a timer that strikes a tindertwig to light a smokestick or a puddle of oil. The time delay is dependent on the complexity of the lock used. A gadget can incorporate a time delay of up to a number of rounds equal to the city gnome's Intelligence modifier + 5 for a simple lock, 10 for an average lock, 15 for a superior lock, and 20 for an amazing lock. A city gnome can use this ability an extra number of times per day equal to half his Intelligence modifier, rounded down, as long as he has a lock.
· Favored Class: Rogue or Artificer. At first level, a city gnome chooses either the rogue class or the artificer class as his favored class. The city gnome's favored class does not change thereafter. A multiclass city gnome's rogue (or artificer) class levels do not count when determining whether or not he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. The rogue (or artificer) class presents many more opportunities for city gnomes to put their newly honed knowledge of mechanical devices to work.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-01, 04:47 PM
These would make great rogues, I must admit that.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 05:17 PM
In the interests of full disclosure, I must admit that I stole this race from Dragon 320, except for the jury-rig abilit, which I invented myself.

chaiyo
2006-08-01, 09:50 PM
I must admit, I thought the Jury-rig ability would pertain to the justice system.

So, what, city gnomes are basically crafty halflings?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 11:56 PM
Dunno. Never played halflings much, and they don't exist in my world.