PDA

View Full Version : Incantatrix Cheese

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-22, 06:20 PM
No, this isnt a thread about Sentient Cheese with powerful metamagic...

This is for the 3.0 Incantatrix, but I assume that the 3.5 Incantrix has this ability as well, or something very similar.

Once per day, the 7th-level incantatrix can use a single metamagic effect of any metamagic feat she knows on a spell without preparing it before hand (if a wizard) or increasing its casting time (if a sorcerer or a bard). The wizard's prepared spell works as if prepared with the metamagic feat except that it uses the same spell slot.
*snip*

Seems like a pretty decent ability. You can use it to persist spells (this was my origonal thought) or make metamagic combos that are otherwise too expensive (Maximized, Split Ray, Twinned Enervation without metamagic reducers). Consider one feat though:

Heighten Spell!

You could use this to boost your spell to a theoretically infinite level, ensuring that the enemy will die with a 4th level spell slot (Phantamasal Killer), a Locate City Bomb that actually works, or whatever (Sculpted Twinned Quickened Glitterdust with Arcane Thesis (Glitterdust)).

Does this work? If so, what are some other good abuses for this?

Eldritch_Ent
2009-05-22, 06:29 PM
It doesn't work with heighten spell.

Also, incantatrix abuse is old news. Combine it with practical Metamagic or whatever that one "Arcane Theorem" feat.

Eldariel
2009-05-22, 06:31 PM
No, this isnt a thread about Sentient Cheese with powerful metamagic...

This is for the 3.0 Incantatrix, but I assume that the 3.5 Incantrix has this ability as well, or something very similar.

Seems like a pretty decent ability. You can use it to persist spells (this was my origonal thought) or make metamagic combos that are otherwise too expensive (Maximized, Split Ray, Twinned Enervation without metamagic reducers). Consider one feat though:

Heighten Spell!

You could use this to boost your spell to a theoretically infinite level, ensuring that the enemy will die with a 4th level spell slot (Phantamasal Killer), a Locate City Bomb that actually works, or whatever (Sculpted Twinned Quickened Glitterdust with Arcane Thesis (Glitterdust)).

Does this work? If so, what are some other good abuses for this?

Incantatrix is the most broken PrC on the planet. Yeah, that ability is handy. The 3.5 version is the truly busted one: You can apply 3+Int times/day a metamagic feat you know to an effect already in place on level 3. You also gain the ability to apply 'em to spells your allies cast 3+Int times/day.

In other words, you can have 6+2xInt times spells persisted for free daily (in case you aren't counting, this is a Wizard; 2xInt is already infinite). And you get the "Free Metamagic"-crap twice. Oh yeah, and there's the Improved Metamagic on level 10 which is just nuts and a cornerstone in all the "metamagic spam boom"-builds. Best of all, available on character level 15. And that's only half of its class features.

That said, Instant Metamagic has received an errata: The modified spell level can't be higher than it would normally be.

namo
2009-05-22, 07:32 PM
Dunno about 3.0, but in 3.5 this has been errata-ed to be limited by the highest level of spell you can cast.

edit: missed Eldariel's ninja edit - oh well.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-22, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I knew about 3.5 Incantatrix overpoweredness, thanks for telling me some of the class features Eladrial, I can not get my hands on Player's Guide to Faerun.

My group doesnt play with errata! It actually works for me!

Thanks in general for your help, guys :smallsmile:

Lamech
2009-05-22, 08:32 PM
Hieghten spell can only take something to 9th level. Kind of important as well. I think your looking for improved hieghten. (And the taint casters are almost as bad, I really fail to see the problem.)

Oh, and then the errata apperantly stops you.