PDA

View Full Version : Combat Pusher [3.5]

Enguhl
2009-05-22, 07:28 PM
I'm looking for a character that is good at bull-rushing and bull-rush styled abilities, I'm trying to keep him as core as possible, though pretty much anything but ToB goes (I have something like 57 books, so I'm sure I can find something when referenced).
Would look myself but I'm about to leave for work and I need this character for tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edit: Char is level 6. and try to steer clear of cheese as much as possible

Keld Denar
2009-05-22, 07:35 PM
Dungeonscape and Races of Stone are 2 sources you should look into.

Dungeonscape has an alt class feature called Dungeoncrashing for fighters. In place of your 2nd and 6th level bonus feats, you get the ability to do mega damage when you bullrush people into stuff. It rewards being a bully, so do it.

Races of Stone has an AMAZING feat called Knockback. Basically, any time you Power Attack and hit a foe, you initiate a bullrush to knock them back. You get +1 to this check for every 1 point of AB you sacrifice to PA, UNLESS you are using a 2handed weapon. Then you get +2 to this check for every point of PA. Only problem, is that it requires you to be Large, or have Powerful Build. The best options for this would be....

Goliath (+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex, Powerful Build, +1 LA) - Race of Stone
1/2 Giant (+1 LA) - Expanded Psionic Handbook and www.d20srd.com
1/2 Minotaur (+1 LA template) - Some Dragon magazing, rather overpowered
1/2 Ogre (meh) - Races of the Wild

So....what are you interested in?

herrhauptmann
2009-05-22, 10:09 PM
I think it's called the Knockback weapon enchantment. Either a +1 or +2 cost in MiC.

Darrin
2009-05-22, 10:24 PM
I'm looking for a character that is good at bull-rushing and bull-rush styled abilities, I'm trying to keep him as core as possible, though pretty much anything but ToB goes (I have something like 57 books, so I'm sure I can find something when referenced).

Courtesy of Person_Man:

Flaming Homer, and the Bowling Ball of DOOM! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22)

ericgrau
2009-05-22, 11:30 PM
Things in core that boost bull rush include boosting your strength check, charging (+2), improved bull rush (+4), and a large size (+4). You can boost your strength check with gauntlest of ogre power, a belt of strength, a pale green ioun stone (+1 for 30k) and a stone of good luck (+1 for 20k). A potion of enlarge person or friendly caster can give you a large size, but it consumes an action. You can also pick up a Ring of a the Ram for only 8600gp to bull rush at range with a strength of 25-29 IIRC.

Having a high movement speed also helps to reach your target, push your target from the proper angle, and to have enough movement left to push him as far as your bull rush check allows. Thus, I would play a barbarian. You get a speed boost, a strength boost from rage and a good flavor match. For more speed get boots of striding and springing (5500 gp), followed by boots of speed later (12k).

Since your strength check isn't affected much by class level, pick a race with a high strength bonus and possibly a large size regardless of LA. An ogre (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogre.htm) for +10 strength and a large size at level 6 seems to be the best core choice. There's only 2 LA, so it doesn't hurt too bad; the other 4 levels are ogre HD.

Total bull rush bonus at level 7 from all tips mentioned: 2 (gauntlets of ogre power) + 5 (ogre strength) + 4 (large size) + 2 (rage) + 2 (charging) + 4 (feat) = +19. That's almost an extra 20 feet of distance for ya, enjoy. Notable gear: gauntlets of ogre power, boots of striding and springing. Your movement speed is 50 feet at 6th level, 60 feet when you take a level of barbarian at level 7, and 80 feet when you get boots of speed later. Later the bull rush bonus increases to +25 from the late level tips.

Since most of the bonuses come from strength, consider carrying a battering ram to bash down doors, and just plain breaking everything you see. Don't forget to retry or take a 20 when needed. Look up the break DCs in my sig or here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#dungeonTerrain) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingAndEntering). For example, spend 2 minutes busting through a masonry wall Kool-Aid man style as soon as you hit a strength of 40 (34-36 before rage). Consider becoming a tripper as well, since that's also fairly strength and size dependent.

Renegade Paladin
2009-05-22, 11:39 PM
I think it's called the Knockback weapon enchantment. Either a +1 or +2 cost in MiC.
The knockback enhancement is lame; it has a fixed and fairly low save DC. What you want is the brutal surge enhancement. It only works a certain number of times per day, but it initiates a bull rush using your statistics on a hit and follows the normal bull rush rules, rather than allowing a save, and pushes the target the maximum distance allowed by the check without requiring you to follow the target.

Enguhl
2009-05-23, 04:51 PM
thanks everyone, this really helped out. mostly the dungeon crasher, but it was all constructive

Iku Rex
2009-05-23, 05:03 PM
Also consider getting some armbands of might (MIC), a belt of the champion (MIC, requires True Believer feat) and a torc of the titans (MIC).

The belt alone is a +5 bonus on Str checks.

The Destructive Rage (CWar?) feat works well with Dungeon Crasher in that it adds to your already very impressive ability to break stuff. It's mostly a flavor thing though.

herrhauptmann
2009-05-23, 11:41 PM
The knockback enhancement is lame; it has a fixed and fairly low save DC. What you want is the brutal surge enhancement. It only works a certain number of times per day, but it initiates a bull rush using your statistics on a hit and follows the normal bull rush rules, rather than allowing a save, and pushes the target the maximum distance allowed by the check without requiring you to follow the target.
Ahh, you got the one I had been thinking of. For some reason I thought brutal surge was along the lines of extra untyped damage on a crit... (too much 4e lately)

As far as boosting strength. Have you looked at the Warhulk PrC from savage species(3E not 3.5). It's got some pretty big negatives to it (lose all skillpoints that require Int/Wis/Cha except Intimidate. And your BAB doesn't actually increase, so no additional attacks)
However, it offsets the lack of BAB by giving a +2 to strength at each level. So while your BAB doesn't increase, your final to-hit stays on par as if you had just taken a level in fighter or barbarian. Also as you gain levels, you gain the ability to attack 2 or 3 squares with a single swing, skipping over any allies who happen to be flanked by the enemy.
Plus damage goes up each level. So if you take ericgrau's ogre: after 5 levels (ECL 11) you'll have a +20 to your strength score, before any magic items.

Trouvere
2009-05-24, 03:32 AM
And when you're not pushing enemies into lava and off cliffs (which is most of the time), you win initiative, move to the far side of an opponent and bull rush them all the way back to the middle of your party. Bonus points if you're a big brainless friendly half-orc, like a golden retriever with a greataxe.

Muad'dib
2009-05-24, 04:40 AM
And for any bull rushing character, the Shock Trooper tactical feat from complete warrior is a must. It allows you to control the enemy's forced movement to an extent and allows you to trip them if you knock them into another baddie.