PDA

View Full Version : A New Test of Might!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Ixahinon
2009-06-04, 10:35 PM
*throws his hands into the air* Done! I just threw the mage together, and prayed.

Who do I run these characters by with? And where do I go to brush up on forum commands for dice rolls and stuff? Never done anything here game wise here.

afroakuma
2009-06-04, 10:44 PM
This is the ECL 20, right?

Doc Roc
2009-06-04, 10:48 PM
:: sniffs the air ::
I are landshark. Can has Ixa?
There's a solid chance I am your GM, Ixa. All we need is a soundstage :)

Ixahinon
2009-06-04, 10:49 PM
Indeed.

16/4 Paladin/Crusader Human
13/5 Cleric/Sacred Healer Githzeri
16 Rogue Pixie
20 Sorcerer Human

afroakuma
2009-06-04, 10:51 PM
:: sniffs the air ::
I are landshark. Can has Ixa?
There's a solid chance I am your GM, Ixa. All we need is a soundstage :)

Ixa begged off from landsharking.

And Keld Denar has... what some might call a prior claim.

Doc Roc
2009-06-04, 10:56 PM
.... I see that my miserable reputation precedes me. :)

afroakuma
2009-06-04, 10:58 PM
Shotgun DMing role! I had so much fun last time killing StarbuckII's party with badass Pandamoniites last time. Totally up to doing it again!

You'll find that Keld requested a matchup at a time slightly before you did.

I call that time "post #2"

Doc Roc
2009-06-04, 11:01 PM
Oh I know! Keld's a really good dude with +1 fingers of speed.

I'll watch with a great degree of glee.

Talic
2009-06-05, 01:58 AM
The crusader was a headache...first (and quite likely the last) time I have ever dealt with maneuvers/stances/boosts....I really - really - don't like the randomization of my maneuvers I get (I think)...but I figure I try something new, have fun with this...maybe learn something

Warblade and swordsage don't randomize.

Doc Roc
2009-06-05, 02:44 AM
Well, they leave their foes in randomized gibbly bits, but I don't feel that counts. :)

Talic
2009-06-05, 03:01 AM
Well, they leave their foes in randomized gibbly bits, but I don't feel that counts. :)

Depends. I doubt anything will leave the ECL 16 in random gibbly bits.

Doc Roc
2009-06-05, 03:06 AM
Depends. I doubt anything will leave the ECL 16 in random gibbly bits.

I'm sure it's quite lovely and very deadly. In fact, I'm quite certain, having spoken with AA at length, but I must say...

There is no overkill:
There is only open fire,
And I need to reload.

I would lean towards the suspicion that I am not the only clever lad in the audience and that someone will build something interesting that we don't expect, or just take a really cool tactical approach.

Talic
2009-06-05, 03:13 AM
I'm sure it's quite lovely and very deadly. In fact, I'm quite certain, having spoken with AA at length, but I must say...

There is no overkill:
There is only open fire,
And I need to reload.

I would lean towards the suspicion that I am not the only clever lad in the audience and that someone will build something interesting that we don't expect, or just take a really cool tactical approach.

If you want an idea, and aren't planning on challenging it, go to soundstage C. It's already downed one party member, and they haven't even scratched the paint yet. Still has the new car smell.

Doc Roc
2009-06-05, 04:22 AM
Hrum. Is that breath no-sr no-save, just a straight turn check? I couldn't tell from my quick scan.

Talic
2009-06-05, 04:26 AM
Tidesinger, please spoiler the above. It's a specific on the fight.

@Tidesinger, and those who aren't playin' ECL 16:Straight Turning. Just roll damage. The effective level's already set.
And Breath weapons are SU abilities. There's never spell resistance.

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 05:13 AM
Warblade and Swordsage don't get access to the tasty Devoted Spirit Maneuvers I wanted.

So I E-mail Keld with my characters to approve? Run them by Afro first? Who get's the displeasure of making everything I have is right/legal?

theterran
2009-06-05, 06:44 AM
Just so I know, when I'm done with my characters, who do I send them to for submission?

And will the DM know the makeup of the characters?

Talic
2009-06-05, 06:48 AM
I generally ask my players to spoiler their sheets under a "DM keep out" heading. I don't want to know your character's strengths/weaknesses, though if one comes up, I expect to know how your character gets info/tosses aside an attack like it's nothing.

For example: "EDIT: Ok, I rolled a 37 will save. If that passes, I ignore any "partial" effects, due to Mettle."

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 06:57 AM
I don't know if the DMs get to see your characters or not. If they did, it would probably be hard to make a fair and balanced battlefield.

I say fair an balanced in the sense that the DM is not making his villian and cohorts with the express intent of countering your items abilities.

But on the other hand...doesn't the DM need to see the character sheet? I ask for 'em when I DM games...I dunno. It's a Conundrum, wrapped in an Enigma, wrapped in a lie. I'd also like to know this answer.

theterran
2009-06-05, 07:05 AM
Well, I only ask because I see some people posting their party make-up, which seems to defeat the purpose if the DM of that particular game isn't supposed to see it...

(edit)

And just gotta finish up two more characters and I think I'll be done.

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 07:15 AM
Well, I only ask because I see some people posting their party make-up, which seems to defeat the purpose if the DM of that particular game isn't supposed to see it...

(edit)

And just gotta finish up two more characters and I think I'll be done.

Yea..but posting that I have a Human 20 Sorcerer just means that I have a huge list of Arcane spells that I could take, not the ones I did take. If I offered my feats, spells, etc...I'd agree

Master_Rahl22
2009-06-05, 07:28 AM
Could I still have a go at this? It will likely be several days before I'm able to complete my party, but I've love to jump in if I still can.

It appears that Party ECL 7-9 is still available, so I can go with that. Does that mean that I can make the entire party level 7 and face a slightly weaker version of the encounter than if I made the party level 9?

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 07:28 AM
Warblade and Swordsage don't get access to the tasty Devoted Spirit Maneuvers I wanted.

So I E-mail Keld with my characters to approve? Run them by Afro first? Who get's the displeasure of making everything I have is right/legal?

You can post them here in spoiler that says Keld Keep Out. :smalltongue:

Keld will be ready on Sunday, I believe he said.

Talic
2009-06-05, 07:30 AM
Could I still have a go at this? It will likely be several days before I'm able to complete my party, but I've love to jump in if I still can.

It appears that Party ECL 7-9 is still available, so I can go with that. Does that mean that I can make the entire party level 7 and face a slightly weaker version of the encounter than if I made the party level 9?

No, the encounter is no less strong, though if the DM is very very nice, he may assign the villain less minions.

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 07:38 AM
Ok...now comes the newb question...How do I post my characters here, if they are made in an excel spreadsheet? I really don't want to re-type them out :x

I know how to make spoilers and such, though not without a header. This would be great, as people can point out some things that I fubared on, such as proper cost of item, or actual hp total, or something. I'm prone to mistakes.

Master_Rahl22
2009-06-05, 08:34 AM
Ok, so level 9 it is. :)

Also, in regard to the required roles, how would something like an Eldritch Knight or Sacred Fist be counted? Part beatstick, part healbot or caster.

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 08:44 AM
It all depends on how you use the build. If he's casting constantly, he's a caster. If he drops a pair of buffs on himself before joining melee, he's a beatstick.

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 08:55 AM
My Characters: (Please keep laughing to a minimum. I tried. Any mathmatical/cost errors/items that Are considered Epic that I shouldn't have...let me know, please Either by PM, or spoiler. I make mistakes)

(No Kelds Allowed)

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130874
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130873
Only two are updated so far, cause I'm about to be late for work. I'll post the rest tonight, along with Jakken's spells

Doc Roc
2009-06-05, 09:56 AM
I'd need a rules cite on sacred resistance rings...
Where is your gear pricing?

Doc Roc
2009-06-05, 10:01 AM
It all depends on how you use the build. If he's casting constantly, he's a caster. If he drops a pair of buffs on himself before joining melee, he's a beatstick.

So uhhh...
"I'll Know It When I See It?"

;)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-05, 11:30 AM
Im might want to do another Dming, Im almost finished with Jkoshe's mission; no damage so far :smallbiggrin:

What ones do you need/have avaliable/whatever?

theterran
2009-06-05, 03:08 PM
I should be ready to go sometime early next week. All I've got left is to delegate a couple of feats and spend some left over $$...just to make sure I've got everything I can think of covered :smallannoyed:

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 06:35 PM
My Characters (Updated):

(Still no Kelds allowed)

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130955
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130874
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130873
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130963

Costs:

Epia used 752,400 of 760,000 gold
Christof used 756,900 of 760,000 gold
Sumulael used 760,000 of 760,000 gold
Jakken used 760,500 of 760,000 gold

I figured with over 10,000 gold left over total, and another guy was able to fork over money to buy something minor, I assumed I could just borrow the measly 500 to get my last item.

Secondly, Everything in the DMG is available....and you can make sacred items in the DMG...so I am also assuming this is allowed as well...I will awaid judgement.

Glimbur
2009-06-05, 07:01 PM
If you're too terrified of my characters to continue the test, Afro, I'd accept your concession.

Or you could tag in another DM.

Or I could just keep waiting, it's not like I'm sitting at a table waiting for your action like I would be in an IRL game.

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 07:36 PM
If you're too terrified of my characters to continue the test, Afro, I'd accept your concession.

Unlikely. I was forced to concede one. Never again.

Or you could tag in another DM.

That might be a better option... anyone want the ECL 1-2?

Doc Roc
2009-06-05, 07:39 PM
Ergh, I'll do ECL 1-2 if no one else steps up.... But in exchange I may need help with the Spitening.

Jkoshe
2009-06-05, 08:53 PM
Myself and lord khaine are never on at the same time.. I'm wondering if there is something we could do about that. It's hard to play when the Dm and player don't share time zones

Keld Denar
2009-06-05, 09:27 PM
Hey Ixa, like I said, I'm game for Sunday starting at about 2 PM EST or later. I have a bachelor party to go to tomorrow (Sat), so don't expect me sober much before. Bring your A game, the fate of the multiverse may just depend on it.

Ixahinon
2009-06-05, 09:48 PM
Yea...I think the multiversed is boned, then. I mean...I have a plan of action, but still working on a backup. And again...since I'm going in entirely blind..I don't even know if that plan of actoin is accurate.

but yea, I'm Central. So I'll be watching the boards at about noon my time. See if I can find the rules for PbP...dice commands and stuff.

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 09:49 PM
I'm going to open a new soundstage for the occasion. :smallbiggrin:

Saph
2009-06-05, 10:01 PM
That might be a better option... anyone want the ECL 1-2?

Hmm . . . Well, I might be willing to DM ECL 1-2. Glimbur is kind of asking for it, taunting like that. :P

I'd need some help with the map though. What have you been using to draw them?

- Saph

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 10:05 PM
...the table function of the boards.

Any guesses yet why I'm so haphazard when running them? :smallwink:

Saph
2009-06-05, 10:09 PM
Oh, excellent.

In that case, I'd be more than happy to take over running the OpFor for Soundstages F and H, since it looks like you have enough on your plate already. Could you PM me any extra information I'd need?

- Saph

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-05, 10:39 PM
In Soundstage A, Im getting
Non ECL 3utterly destroyed by Jkose's crazy monster thing. "Joy" has more hp than all of my characters combined, fights better than my tank, does more damage than my skill monkey, Casts better than my wizard, has just a powerfull "Animal" companion as my druid...did you really look this guy over, Afroakuma? :smalltongue:

EDIT: After I finish this, I'd be more than happy to help, Saph, if you wanted...

Jkoshe
2009-06-05, 10:44 PM
You know, I plan on throwing my critter against a part of level ones tomorrow at my game... So meh... :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-05, 10:48 PM
Do you have some morbid obsession with killing your players?! That just wiped out my wolf as well, though that window is freezing and I may have to restart it.

Sorry about not posting for a few minutes...I didnt see that there was page 15 and kept reloading it.

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 10:49 PM
In Soundstage A, Im getting
Non ECL 3utterly destroyed by Jkose's crazy monster thing. "Joy" has more hp than all of my characters combined, fights better than my tank, does more damage than my skill monkey, Casts better than my wizard, has just a powerfull "Animal" companion as my druid...did you really look this guy over, Afroakuma? :smalltongue:

Non-Jkoshes
No, no I did not. Nor did I approve of whatever other shenanigans he tossed in, as I mentioned several times on that soundstage. He sent the draft to me in an illegible format.

This is not my contest alone to run, and so I didn't impose any restrictions other than making suggestions to the DM in question. That said, if I could have disallowed the match, in hindsight, I certainly would have. Jkoshe is playing to win without balance, restraint or remorse. I would strongly recommend having each of your characters drive their skulls onto sharp objects as rapidly as possible.

Saph
2009-06-05, 10:52 PM
OpFor info received. I'll take over DMing the ECL 1-2 challenges (Soundstages F and H).

Let's see what you've got, Glimbur. :P

- Saph

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-05, 10:56 PM
Non Jkoshes OnlyYeah, I didnt read those OO spoilers...
I am now reduced to making random jokes about the-bird-that-miss-starshine-named attacking the super vampire whatever, fighting for its country and whatnot :smalltongue:

Jkoshe
2009-06-05, 11:03 PM
Do you have some morbid obsession with killing your players?! That just wiped out my wolf as well, though that window is freezing and I may have to restart it.

Sorry about not posting for a few minutes...I didnt see that there was page 15 and kept reloading it.

Nah, they are very lucky heck they tend to take out things many cr above them.. Plus I'm establishing her as a villain for them to deal with.

Also you did just kill her..

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-05, 11:04 PM
Non-Jkoshes
No, no I did not. Nor did I approve of whatever other shenanigans he tossed in, as I mentioned several times on that soundstage. He sent the draft to me in an illegible format.

This is not my contest alone to run, and so I didn't impose any restrictions other than making suggestions to the DM in question. That said, if I could have disallowed the match, in hindsight, I certainly would have. Jkoshe is playing to win without balance, restraint or remorse. I would strongly recommend having each of your characters drive their skulls onto sharp objects as rapidly as possible.I see 3 issues. First is the length. That really qualifies as multiple encounters, given the number of minions, traps, and rooms we're talking. Second is the boss. 4+ over is...worrisome in any of these challenges, let alone ECL 3. Third is the situation. That is...dangerous terrain. And he still won. Epic and AWESOME.

Jkoshe
2009-06-05, 11:05 PM
Cr 6 the monster is only Cr6 that's 3 over.. which is around what the rest of the villains are.

afroakuma
2009-06-05, 11:08 PM
I see 3 issues. First is the length. That really qualifies as multiple encounters, given the number of minions, traps, and rooms we're talking. Second is the boss. 4+ over is...worrisome in any of these challenges, let alone ECL 3. Third is the situation. That is...dangerous terrain.

Pretty much my exact concerns.

Others:

• Blatant and unreasonable DM cheating. Overwhelming magical aura against an ECL 3 party and absurd traps everywhere.

• Boss is over-capable. As Olo pointed out, the creature trumps all of his characters in all of their fields.

• The length disqualifies it as anything approaching fair by the rules of this competition.

In short, Jkoshe's run his test. His creature will be removed from the listings until we get some reasonable feedback.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-05, 11:26 PM
Cr 6 the monster is only Cr6 that's 3 over.. which is around what the rest of the villains are.

Yeah...sure...that was a lot more than CR 6, let me tell you. My characters could probably 1 round kill a lot of CR 6s...In fact, Im going to run a trial with them...:smalltongue:

Plus you did not include its wolf, which was atleast CR 4.

OR the CR 9 reverse gravity trap.

OR the lava on the celing.

OR the waves of skeletons.

AT LEAST a CR 10 encounter. AT LEAST.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-05, 11:28 PM
And he still won. Epic and AWESOME.

Do you mind me sigging this?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-05, 11:34 PM
Do you mind me sigging this?Change 'he' to 'Olo' so it makes sense, and no.

theterran
2009-06-05, 11:44 PM
Alright, Character Sheets Linking up.

I figured they're close enough to being done to go ahead and link them. Keep in mind though that spells still need to be finalized...and left over money needs to be spent...

The fine-tooth comb has yet to be used:smalltongue:

All coupons given by Afro can be found in the notes section of the individual sheet...

If you see something wrong, please let me know...and if you post it here...put it in spoilers denoting that the ECL DM(s) can't look...

If you DM ECL 16, DO NOT LOOK! :smalltongue:

Tank (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6417)
Skillz (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6418)
Divine (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6419)
Arcane (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6420)

Talic
2009-06-06, 12:19 AM
As I've provided some logistic support to a couple of Terran's characters, I feel it's better if another DM ran that ECL 16. (when someone says they're shaky on a class type, I've gotta step in and offer a bit of direction...)

I can, if need be, but as I've got somewhat privileged information on her characters that I normally don't like having, I'd prefer another of you butchers try to kill him.

Doc Roc
2009-06-06, 01:15 AM
I can probably do it, or I can do Glim's ECL 1-2 run.

Saph
2009-06-06, 02:52 AM
I can probably do it, or I can do Glim's ECL 1-2 run.

I've already got dibs on the current ECL 1-2s. Normally I'd feel guilty about slaughtering PCs, but since I've managed to beat this challenge, I know it's not impossible. So just for a change I'm free to go all-out. :smallamused:

If you want to kill some low-level parties of your own, though, you could PM wykdtron. I think he was saying he had a party ready for ECL 1-2.

- Saph

Doc Roc
2009-06-06, 03:10 AM
I didn't want to butt in. I hate Low Level GMing. If theterran wants me as his GM, I'll gladly serve for ECL16

Keld Denar
2009-06-06, 03:16 AM
Otherwise, I'm privvy to the ECL16 knowledge. I could run you around the time I run the ECL20 on Sunday.

Again, bring your A game....and then some.

Eldariel
2009-06-06, 03:17 AM
Otherwise, I'm privvy to the ECL16 knowledge. I could run you around the time I run the ECL20 on Sunday.

Again, bring your A game....and then some.

I'm about to finish my Level 15 party too; mayhap you'd allow me the honor of being DMed for by you?

Keld Denar
2009-06-06, 03:25 AM
Sure, what the hey...I'm an equal opportunity destroyer.

I'd tell you to bring your A game, but I trust its already been broughten!

Talic
2009-06-06, 03:36 AM
Sure, what the hey...I'm an equal opportunity destroyer.

I'd tell you to bring your A game, but I trust its already been broughten!

Eld is good... But the ECL 16 isn't like the ECL 20.

I'd consider allowing a player to consider it a partial victory if half the party survived well enough to escape.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 07:00 AM
Eld is good... But the ECL 16 isn't like the ECL 20.

Someone's got a favorite. :smallamused:

I'd consider allowing a player to consider it a partial victory if half the party survived well enough to escape.

I wouldn't. :belkar:

Alright, high-level allocations, then:

theterran ECL 15-16 vs. Tidesinger

Eldariel ECL 15-16 vs. Keld Denar

Ixahinon ECL 20 vs. Keld Denar

...do we still have nobody on the ECL 12-13? :smallannoyed:

Talic
2009-06-06, 07:14 AM
Someone's got a favorite. :smallamused:

It's not about favorites. It's about the abilities of the villain, versus party capabilities.

On the rules you've given, the ECL 16 is not winnable, except if the DM pulls a lot of punches.

Eldariel
2009-06-06, 07:17 AM
It's not about favorites. It's about the abilities of the villain, versus party capabilities.

On the rules you've given, the ECL 16 is not winnable, except if the DM pulls a lot of punches.

We'll see about that. I'm going to give it my best shot, and if it takes a thousand expendables to win...then so be it.

Funny, I was going to say "I am a combat machine with only one mode: Overkill!" and now it feels like that's the appropriate level for this :P Of course, I'm still regulating myself.

Talic
2009-06-06, 07:21 AM
We'll see about that. I'm going to give it my best shot, and if it takes a thousand expendables to win...then so be it.

Funny, I was going to say "I am a combat machine with only one mode: Overkill!" and now it feels like that's the appropriate level for this :P Of course, I'm still regulating myself.

Overkill? Hm, seems that you and your DM will be in competition.

So far, I've got 1 PK, 1 in the negatives, 1 at less than 10% of his max HP, and they haven't successfully managed to land a successful attack. Not one.

And my player brought some power PC's, as well. They're not chumps.

Saph
2009-06-06, 07:23 AM
This is why I generally prefer lower level matchups to upper ones. For the ECL 1-2 encounter, builds are important, but the fight can still be won or lost by either side depending on tactics. At levels 15-20, build tends to trump everything else.

- Saph

Talic
2009-06-06, 07:26 AM
I'll grant you that the build does. But some things also just shouldn't be introduced into campaigns. I, for one, would never allow a couple of these abilities in a actual game, without some sort of protective MacGuffin.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 07:28 AM
Care to PM me the specifics?

theterran
2009-06-06, 08:30 AM
I'll let you know when my guys are absolutely ready...I've still got a few things to shore up before I'm completely done with them...

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 11:37 AM
ECL 20 should actually be pretty tactical.

And if the builds are reasonable but not uber, it should also be awesome as hell.

Saph
2009-06-06, 11:54 AM
The ECL 1-2 challenge against Glimbur is proceeding apace in Soundstage H, for those interested.

At the moment I'd say he looks pretty . . . er . . . inconvenienced, but who knows, he might be able to turn it around. :P

- Saph

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 11:59 AM
I've been watching it with great amusement. :smallamused:

The pairing of that environment with that attack... classic. :smallamused:

Saph
2009-06-06, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I wonder where I could have gotten the idea from? :smalltongue:

- Saph

Saph
2009-06-06, 12:21 PM
Um.

A mook in the ECL 2 battle just critted Glimbur's main fighter. With a x3 weapon. For 26 damage.

That was unexpected.

- Saph

Ixahinon
2009-06-06, 12:38 PM
Build isn't everything. I built my characters specifically to destory undead, and do it well. But I'm relying on a lot of ****, mostly the fact that I'll be facing undead....if not, I'm f*cked.

Then there's the fact that this is the first ECL20 encounter I've ever done in my entire D&D career..and my career is pretty long...We've just never finished a campaign. People get bored with the campaign we are doing/DM get's DM fatigue and wants to be a PC/People can't play anymore, etc.

So I wouldn't doubt that, even though I might have a powerhouse party, I am not entirely familiar with high end spells/The uberclasses I'm using/Specific rules to the DM I'm playing with, that I might actually fail. Just because my character might be able to do 100,000,000 points of damage in a single hit, doesn't mean I can tactically get close enough to do it.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 01:50 PM
Build isn't everything. I built my characters specifically to destory undead, and do it well. But I'm relying on a lot of ****, mostly the fact that I'll be facing undead....if not, I'm f*cked.

You may be regardless. :smallbiggrin:

Then there's the fact that this is the first ECL20 encounter I've ever done in my entire D&D career..and my career is pretty long...

I hope it does itself justice... it's CR 25 and calibrated to be an epic menace.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 02:07 PM
Hey, Afroakuma, can I get my win added to the front page?

Ixahinon
2009-06-06, 02:11 PM
That's awesome...CR 25....Made to be a pain to epic parties....and I'm not even Epic.

And to think I told my Real Life D&D group to watch this event...think I'm in over my head. At the very least, I'll get to see how an epic event should be played

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 02:12 PM
Sure; get me all the relevant stats.

Doc Roc
2009-06-06, 02:16 PM
That's awesome...CR 25....Made to be a pain to epic parties....and I'm not even Epic.

And to think I told my Real Life D&D group to watch this event...think I'm in over my head. At the very least, I'll get to see how an epic event should be played

If it's any comfort, I was pretty sure my party was worthless as well. Just grab a friend, do a second sweep through your characters together, and duck, tumble, and roll.

Good luck, man.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 02:33 PM
Tidesinger: yes, but you're...

Suffice it so say the circumstances are different. Also, I seem to recall you signing on to Team Evil. :smallwink:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 02:39 PM
I can DM 12-13, Im working on a party that level for Test of Spite anyway :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 02:46 PM
*sigh* I'm going to have to overhaul the OP when I get home.

Glimbur
2009-06-06, 02:58 PM
You should ban Feather Tokens. The Whip is silly in low level fights, the Tree creates headaches, the Swan Boat is similarly confounding, and the rest are pretty useless.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 03:05 PM
Why? That was an excellent tactic!

Glimbur
2009-06-06, 03:06 PM
I suppose it is silly to ban some effective tactics from the PC's when you do what you do... terrible person.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 03:12 PM
Besides, the badguys can use them too. :smallamused:

Ixahinon
2009-06-06, 03:43 PM
If it's any comfort, I was pretty sure my party was worthless as well. Just grab a friend, do a second sweep through your characters together, and duck, tumble, and roll.

Good luck, man.

It isn't. But maybe I can work something out with my group, but only if I got my challange date delayed, which I'm not sure I (Or anyone else) wants to do.

Tidesinger: yes, but you're...

....more experienced? Knowledgable on end game content? :P It's ok, I know. This is coming from the guy that wants nothing more than to kick my ass, not help it.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 03:58 PM
It isn't. But maybe I can work something out with my group, but only if I got my challange date delayed, which I'm not sure I (Or anyone else) wants to do.

Ixahinon: I stated that the challenge was epic in scope, not in ridiculousness. I deliberately short-circuited most Epic shenanigans. The 25 was reached with templates.

....more experienced? Knowledgable on end game content?

I was going to say "one of the top theoretical optimizers active in 3.X today, and had been egged on to ever-greater heights resulting in all four members of his team having access to contingency celerity."

Your group will enjoy the match, trust me. It's a spectacular battle.

Saph
2009-06-06, 03:59 PM
Well, one more ECL 1-2 is finished.

Trial XI Glimbur vs Saph
ECL 1-2
Buff Time None
15 rounds
TPK

Highly entertaining match. :) If you read through it looks as though the battle's all over by round 5, but there are a few surprises later on. Still, in the end the ECL 2 challenge claims another victim. Thanks to Glimbur for the battle!

Talic
2009-06-06, 04:10 PM
Am I gonna need to make a party ECL2 to keep the player wins on the average side?

Glimbur
2009-06-06, 04:18 PM
I did my best. We were more durable than these "optimized" wizards with their "more than 14" Int... even drawing on an obscure source for effectively more hp wasn't quite enough. Bad luck also factored in, naturally.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-06, 04:20 PM
I did my best. We were more durable than these "optimized" wizards with their "more than 14" Int... even drawing on an obscure source for effectively more hp wasn't quite enough. Bad luck also factored in, naturally.Which soundstage was this? I seem to have missed subscribing to it.

Glimbur
2009-06-06, 04:20 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113518

Stage H.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 04:37 PM
Trial X Olo Demonsbane vs Jkoshe (Jkoshe)
ECL 3
Buff Time Day Long
247 rounds; 24 minutes, 7 rounds
Player Victory (2 deaths, 1 unconcious, Animal Companion death)

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 05:42 PM
Front page updated.

Glimbur
I think bad luck ate you there. Bad luck and the fact that your DM showed me why I should arm the Ftr1 mooks with savage reach weapons instead of tridents by beating the same match beforehand.

The whip token was inspired, though, and delayed a vicious opponent of excessive CR.

It really was just the rolls this time.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 06:47 PM
When Jkoshe said that his creature was CR 6, I decided to run a test run...my characters vs a CR 6 creature with a good range of options: a Babau demon.

Team Olo Demonsbane vs. Babau Demon

Initiative:
Silena: 32
Quillian: 23
Quarg: 21
Hoygh: 20
Dilys: 9
Babau: 8

Silena casts Sculpted Glitterdust on the Babau, and it rolls a 13 on its Will save. It is blinded for 3 turns.

Quillian runs up and uses Shadow Blade technique on it.
Attack: 23 (hit)
Shadowblade: 17 (miss)
Damage: 8
Sneak Attack: 12 (!)
Babau takes 10 damage and is reduced to 56 hp.

Quarg charges at it, attempting to trip it.
Attack: (Natural 1)

Hoygh, seeing the jelly covering the Babau’s skin, readies an action to assist Quillian’s attacks.

Dilys uses her wand of Splinterbolt on the Babau.
Touch Attack: 9 (miss)

Babau attempts to attack Quillian. *Extremely lucky rolls*
Claw 28 (hit)
Miss Chance (hit)
Damage 6
Claw 31 (hit)
Miss Chance (hit)
Damage 7
Bite (crit threat)
Crit Con (miss) (hit)
Miss Chance 3

Quillian takes 16 damage.

Babau has 2 turns of blindness left.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Silena casts ray of Enfeeblement
Attack 20
Strength Damage 6

The Babau has 15 Strength left.

Quillian activates his Burning Blade ability, striking at the demon, with Hoygh assisting.
Attack 19 (hit)
Damage 6
Sneak Attack 8
Fire 5
Attack (crit threat)
Crit Con 24 (hit)
Damage 14
Sneak Attack 12
Fire 9

First attack deals 9 points of damage, the second does 25. The babau is reduced to 22 hp.

Quarg also attacks.
Attack 14 (miss)

Hoygh uses his Soaring Raptor Strike Martial Script.
Jump 11 (fail)

Dilys readies and aims her wand again.
Touch Attack 11 (hit)
Damage 19

The babau takes 9 damage, reducing it to 13 hp.

The babau teleports away.

Defeated in 2 rounds, only one character taking damage. Are you SURE that was CR 6, Jkoshe?

Eurus
2009-06-06, 06:51 PM
Random observation: Splinterbolt isn't a touch attack.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-06, 07:40 PM
I finished making a ECL 9 Party (still waiting on my ECL 5 dudes to play): post #995 page 34 of this topic updated with links.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 07:42 PM
I thought it was just like Scorching Ray...but, you're right, I just checked.

I didnt factor in its threat range though...That makes it pretty even for the main fight, I rolled a couple of really high rolls with my wand.

You are absolutely right though, thanks for telling me.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 07:44 PM
I finished making a ECL 9 Party (still waiting on my ECL 5 dudes to play): post #995 page 34 of this topic updated with links.

Alright, I'm going to go update the main post to reflect pending matches sans DM.

Eurus
2009-06-06, 07:49 PM
No problem, I figured it wouldn't have too big of an impact, just something I felt I should point out (since I love Splinterbolt).

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 08:06 PM
Jeez, I started this thread like... two weeks ago and we've already burned this far through it?

Ixahinon
2009-06-06, 08:32 PM
Hey..after I finish my ECL20 run, is it possible for me to shift to the other side, and DM it?

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 08:39 PM
Assuming that:

A) Anyone wasn't watching and wants to try.

B) Keld will let you. :smalltongue:

C) There's no other competition.

Gods, is that match going to rule.

You guys are getting your own private soundstage just so I can watch the epic.

Ixahinon
2009-06-06, 08:43 PM
Own soundstage? Does that mean private? I'm not fimiliar with how RPing on these forums work? There are possibly two people in my Real Life DM group that wants to watch this as well, they'll be able to see this too, right?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 08:51 PM
He means that he is creating an entirely new thread for you. You should be honored :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 08:56 PM
We'll have us a skybox over in OOC to discuss the match live. The soundstage will be open for public viewing but public comment will be discouraged.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 09:00 PM
Even better...now where are the links?

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 09:01 PM
Not till tomorrow. I'll open the skybox tonight, though.

Ixahinon
2009-06-06, 09:02 PM
Not sure what all that means completely, but it sounds cool. I think I will understand it more, when I see it.

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 09:10 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6234020#post6234020) is the Skybox.

No touching.

Eurus
2009-06-06, 09:30 PM
I'm not watching, since I want to try playing it at some point. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 09:41 PM
Ambitious, are we? :smallcool:

Eurus
2009-06-06, 09:44 PM
But of course. Even though it's looking like a zero-out-of-two score for my previous and current encounters is likely (since I can't hit the dang monster this time...). :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 10:02 PM
At least you're trying. :smallsmile:

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-06, 10:05 PM
...or is he? (DUN DUN DUN!!!) :smalltongue:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 11:37 PM
5 posts in a row ending with a smily. Wow :smalltongue:

Talic
2009-06-07, 12:08 AM
But of course. Even though it's looking like a zero-out-of-two score for my previous and current encounters is likely (since I can't hit the dang monster this time...). :smallwink:

Hey, you've actually wounded it, now. That's something. :smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-07, 03:59 AM
As someone who saw the creation of some of these monsters, I'm really enjoying these battles. If my mastery of 3.5 was better, I would build a party and join in, but alas this is not the case- so I shall simply watch and laugh instead. it's just a shame that we're seeing the same three villains for the most part, when there are so many other options out there.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 04:20 AM
Made last minute changes to my characters, adjusted equipment, etc. I made sure the money limit wasn't exceeded.

No Kelds Allowed

Christof (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130955)
Epia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130874)
Jakken (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130873)
Sumulael (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130963)

Most changes reside in Sumulael. Basically I woke up at about 3am (Loud Thunderstorm) and started panicing about Sumulael's low Charisma, since I'm still confident of what I am fighting, low Charisma is not good...so I sacrified a lot of strength and con to max it out...

Which leads me to a question if anyone can answer via PM, or spoiler. If I polymorph into say...an Ogre Magi. Do I follow the Racial Bonuses listed? (+10 Strength, +6 Constitution) Or the Statistics for a generic Ogre Magi? (21 Strength, 10 Dexterity, 17 Constitution)

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 04:26 AM
Afro this...this is epic. I will be watching the CR 19 and CR 20 battles with GREAT interest.

Eldariel
2009-06-07, 05:44 AM
No Kelds Allowed
Which leads me to a question if anyone can answer via PM, or spoiler. If I polymorph into say...an Ogre Magi. Do I follow the Racial Bonuses listed? (+10 Strength, +6 Constitution) Or the Statistics for a generic Ogre Magi? (21 Strength, 10 Dexterity, 17 Constitution)

Statistics of a generic Ogre Magi. Polymorph always transforms you to an average member of the rage, therefore giving you the basic stats. If you have stat enhancers worn (Polymorph doesn't remove equipment as long as the new form can wear them), or inherent bonuses though, those should apply on top of your new monster-form's base stats.

Talic
2009-06-07, 05:51 AM
Non-Keld's:Correct. This sets your base stats directly to the creature's. Further bonuses should then apply normally. (I believe things such as inherent bonuses, enhancement bonuses, and the like will stack on top of this).

For example: You're a 16 str character with +4 Inherent bonus from Tome, a +6 enhancement bonus from a belt of strength, and a +2 sacred bonus from the Animal Devotion feat. Your final str is a 28.

You polymorph into an ogre (Base Str 20). You are now a 20 str character with a +4 inherent bonus from tome, a +6 enhancement bonus from a belt of strength, and a +2 sacred bonus from the animal devotion feat. Your final strength is 32.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 06:36 AM
Afro this...this is epic. I will be watching the CR 19 and CR 20 battles with GREAT interest.

I have a CR 19? :smallconfused:

And yes, thanks to that contributions of these wonderful people, the battles are turning out to be quite a show.

According to Keld Denar, the big ECL 20 battle will begin around 2 PM EST, so I'll open the soundstage in a few hours and then relink the viewing public to the skybox thread for commentary.

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-07, 07:01 AM
I have a CR 19? :smallconfused:

I think he means ECL19-20...

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 08:08 AM
See, that's why it confused me, because the bracket is ECL 20 only. Even the 20s will have a hard time against that thing.

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-07, 08:57 AM
I just want to see somebody take on the ECL10-11 encounter if only because it'll mess with their fragile minds in many whimsical ways

Eurus
2009-06-07, 08:59 AM
Oh? Maybe I'll take on that encounter after I finish this one. Give myself some more practice before I try the biggie. :smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-07, 09:04 AM
Okay, give us time to have some medical professionals standing by with a straitjacket and a padded cell Yeah, that'd be cool to watch.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 09:22 AM
I want the 12-13 to pick up a challenger. The OpFor would have a field day with that one.

My Fu is available for hire, as always.
:smallsmile:

Your Fu should be PMing me methods of reinforcing the baddie for the ECL 20 today. :smallcool:

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 09:22 AM
My Fu is available for hire, as always.
:smallsmile:

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 09:23 AM
If this is still going after the move to Kansas City, I'll gladly play in any slot 1-14.

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 09:23 AM
By OpFor I presume you mean the assorted forums centered on CO?

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 09:24 AM
If this is still going after the move to Kansas City, I'll gladly play in any slot 1-14.

That's hardly fair; you know what's coming. :smallyuk:

By OpFor I presume you mean the assorted forums centered on CO?

OpFor is a military term. It refers to the soldiers in training who portray the enemy forces in combat exercises.

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 09:25 AM
Afro, I couldn't optimize my way out of a paper bag if I had DMM and forewarning.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 09:54 AM
Three hours until the match. :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2009-06-07, 10:05 AM
Firstly, OpFor stands for "Opposition Force". As Afro said, in training exercises, the team that plays the "Bad Guys" is the OpFor.

That said, I've got a team for the ECL 1-2. I think that we need to get that guy back down to a 50% win record.

Selected Book was Complete Champion. As it's on the approved list, I don't need to get line item approval for the couple feats I chose.

OpFor for ECL 1-2, keep out:Big Basha (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6503) - Beatstick. Water Orc Warblade 2
Moar Dakka (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6502) - Arcane Caster. Gnome Sorceror 2
Tru Callin (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6501) - Divine Caster. Human Cleric 2
Schneek Stabba (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6504) - Skillmonkey. Water Halfling Ninja 2

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 10:11 AM
Afro? Any ruling on if I can participate or not? Like I said, my kung fu is weaker than a PHB fighter.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 10:13 AM
Firstly, OpFor stands for "Opposition Force". As Afro said, in training exercises, the team that plays the "Bad Guys" is the OpFor.

That said, I've got a team for the ECL 1-2. I think that we need to get that guy back down to a 50% win record.

You've watched those matches though. And you clearly cheated RAI in that setup.

Gareth: Yeah, knock yourself out.

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-07, 10:17 AM

So, just pump the encounter CR by 1 or 2 to neutralise any advantages you think he's gained. Maybe tell him he has to take the encounter on at ECL3 because you're bumping up the difficulty?

Adumbration
2009-06-07, 10:22 AM

Hmm. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun - water creatures are a well known method of optimisation due to their free +2 to Con and swim speed. But I digress - there is no way of telling it from the character sheets, whether he has watched the matches or not.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 10:33 AM
Your Fu should be PMing me methods of reinforcing the baddie for the ECL 20 today. :smallcool:

This comment makes me feel that my optimzation to battle undead was indeed a right choice.

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 10:34 AM
Yay!

Just assign me an ECL 1-14 - I don't care which.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 10:39 AM
This comment makes me feel that my optimzation to battle undead was indeed a right choice.

Nah; just some suboptimal magic item choices including an absolutely worthless ring that I was looking to switch out.

Talic
2009-06-07, 10:44 AM

Gareth: Yeah, knock yourself out.

Actually, no. I did get a hint from your comments in the main room on the previous setup (versus the last guy). But everyone knows that info.

Non-ECL1-2:
As for choices on elemental races?
Water orc is +2 con over standard orc. (this was chosen in my other challenge too)
Water halfling is +2 con over standard halfling.
There are no discernable drawbacks to either. In fact, if I'm running an orc in any of the GitP arenas, and UA is allowed, I'm a water orc. It's silly not to be.

I did not choose Air gnome because I lose a +2 Con, and I favor Con in arena matches. Breathless and +2 dex isn't worth it.

As for the rest? I have a wide variety of expendables, and my 2 main schticks? Are versatile.

Summoning is one, and can have an incredible versatility, as the list is long.
Invisibility is the other, as most low level creatures don't defend against it.
My beatstick is designed to push people around, rather than lock them down, and to limit their options without removing their ability to actually fight.
My mage is designed as a debuffer with a fairly effective oh crap button.
The ninja is actually designed as a scout, with detection and trapfinding skills laid out. His combat effectiveness isn't that good... And choice of being a halfling with traditional thrown weapons doesn't exactly help much in a water environment.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 10:47 AM
Fine; but oh, you just wait for the restaging. :smallamused:

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 10:49 AM
Yay!

Just assign me an ECL 1-14 - I don't care which.

[/childlike impatience]

Talic
2009-06-07, 10:52 AM
Non-ECL 1-2:I don't mind restaging. As is, half my party would have needed to roll fairly well to even be able to move underwater. Restage it somewhere that keeps it no more or less balanced than the last encounter, or send me against a different villain of similar power level. Makes no difference to me. I'm fairly sure this group could dust a pair of Ogres, as that's what I did the initial combat tests before submitting on.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 10:52 AM
Pick one. Your choice.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 10:54 AM
I'm so tired of always second guessing myself...this just needs to get over with. Antisipation is killing me...I'll be back in 2 hours.:smalleek:

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 11:32 AM
I'm so very stoked to see this. I hope Keld has prepared adequately.

Adumbration
2009-06-07, 11:34 AM
Excitement abound, I almost can't wait...

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 11:44 AM
...no, I don't want your baby - I already ate!

Though I do tend to generally kill... kill things that... don't fight back!

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 12:15 PM
Updated my characters again, Namely Jakken. Always changing, ever shifting.

(No Kelds allowed....again)

Specifcally, Got rid of my +3 Holy Surge Quarterstaff of Undead bane (Got back 128,000gp) and picked up a Orange Prism Ioun Stone (+1 Caster Level), Lavender and Green Ellipsoid (Aborbs 50 spell levels of 8th level and lower), and a +2 Tome of Strength (Read already, +2 Inherant to Strength.)

Had a sudden change in plans for my arcane's tactics.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 12:28 PM
30 minute mark!

I'll be opening the battle soon!

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 12:31 PM
I need more time! It's not perfect yet! :smallfurious:

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 12:37 PM
You have 22 minutes.

Oh, and I would strongly recommend against tipping me off to better gear. :smallamused: Thanks for the IWIN stone.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 12:40 PM
Yea see..I was under the impression that it was keld that was creating and equiping the villian and minions. Not you, and everyone else that you have DMing...so I assumed that putting my characters updates here to inform the spectaters (And you, again..assuming you are the moderator of this all, not an actual DM, would be the one to say if it was legal or not.)

Had I known you would be consipiring with Tidesinger, Keld, and who knows how many other people...I would have not said a damn thing

Adumbration
2009-06-07, 12:44 PM
You have 22 minutes.

Oh, and I would strongly recommend against tipping me off to better gear. :smallamused: Thanks for the IWIN stone.

There's also the IWIN ring from Complete Arcane. It stacks, I believe. (Unless you mean one of the other stones. Then nevermind.)

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 12:48 PM
Yea see..I was under the impression that it was keld that was creating and equiping the villian and minions. Not you, and everyone else that you have DMing...so I assumed that putting my characters updates here to inform the spectaters (And you, again..assuming you are the moderator of this all, not an actual DM, would be the one to say if it was legal or not.)

Had I known you would be consipiring with Tidesinger, Keld, and who knows how many other people...I would have not said a damn thing

We're not adding Tidesinger's suggestions to this round because he himself feels it unfair.

And no; I make the villain, Keld does the minions. Just because I'll be cheering for your demise doesn't mean I want you to lose. :smallbiggrin:

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 12:51 PM
Yea...but I still feel....naked. I have revealed everything to the person that is making the villian. To be honest, had I known..I'd rather have let the actual DM (Keld) see my characters before you. That way even though Keld has seen my characters, you haven't...and thus couldn't prepare as such, and it's too late for Keld to do it himself, as the game started...Misread the rules, I guess...****

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 12:57 PM
Don't worry, I didn't look over your characters at all.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 01:02 PM
Alright, everyone who wants to observe the ECL 20 battle should head to the Skybox (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113892), which is now open, for the link to the soundstage and to post comments.

No public commentary on the new soundstage, please.

Ixa, Keld, you've received entry passes to the soundstage. Good luck to you both. :smallsmile:

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 02:43 PM
I will be creating a party of level eight characters. I will likely be slaughtered.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-06-07, 03:14 PM
I will be creating a party of level eight characters. I will likely be slaughtered.

Then why don't you make them level 9? it's a tough challenge, I'd say near impossible for level 7, very hard for 8 and just plain hard for level 9. So if you think you won't do very well then you'll be better off using as high level characters as possible.

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 03:47 PM
I'm so tired of always second guessing myself...this just needs to get over with. Antisipation is killing me...I'll be back in 2 hours.:smalleek:

I am not out to screw you, Ixa. I've gently reined in a number of choices and such. I am, in this one case, a truly neutral party. I work for whoever asks for my help. I optimize for the sake of building beautiful things. I know that may sound strange to you, but I've done everything from make characters who hit for thousands of damage to characters whose sole purpose was to protect a group of less optimized characters to specialty builds such as my Spock or my Scar. Heck, I even build megaman once.

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 04:05 PM
There are a few reasons I'm making level eight characters:

- I do know what's coming, and thus have an unfair advantage over other competitors.

- Eights bring prosperity.

- I have iron cojones.

Amphetryon
2009-06-07, 04:13 PM
I'll toss in for a level 9 build team, for either the 7-9, the 9-10, or both. Edit: Per feedback from Afroacuma, make that a level 10 build team.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 04:16 PM
I am not out to screw you, Ixa. I've gently reined in a number of choices and such. I am, in this one case, a truly neutral party. I work for whoever asks for my help. I optimize for the sake of building beautiful things. I know that may sound strange to you, but I've done everything from make characters who hit for thousands of damage to characters whose sole purpose was to protect a group of less optimized characters to specialty builds such as my Spock or my Scar. Heck, I even build megaman once.

It doesn't sound strange at all...I do the same thing, though on a less epic scale. I enjoy trying to make things that shouldn't work...work. Warforged Thieves (And not the tiny scout warforged in MM3 or whatever. 7 foot tall, 2,000 pound warforged) Fighter/Wizard/Rogues, etc.

What I meant was: I came into this contest understand that a villian was picked for a certain encounter, and that was it. It was up to the DM that Afro assigned to make up the villian's abilities and such...not Afro himself. Believing this...I assumed Afro was the 'moderator.' The person that you turned your characters in to...the person that would sit down and double check item costs, and tell you that the +5 Time Buttress Heavy Steel Shield of Heavy Fortification is actually considered a +15 item, and thus Epic, which would cost a great deal more money than you have antisipated.

So, when I found out that I possibly gave up vital information to a person that wasn't suppose to have it, I freaked.

Now I know that Afro hasn't looked at my character sheets (When I assumed he did, cause he had to) and I feel better. He just knows what I put on the boards...I'll deal with that. What items I posted are just a drop in the hat...kind of fallbacks when things don't go my way.

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 04:27 PM
:: gentle smile :: I just didn't want to be misunderstood.

theterran
2009-06-07, 04:50 PM
I was very tempted to make my "Blue Raja" character for one of these...but it's not really optimized enough to do what we're doing here :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 05:36 PM
What I meant was: I came into this contest understand that a villian was picked for a certain encounter, and that was it. It was up to the DM that Afro assigned to make up the villian's abilities and such...not Afro himself.

The reality is that each villain is already set in stone, and has been since before the contest ever started. And yes, it was my insane mind that made them.

Believing this...I assumed Afro was the 'moderator.' The person that you turned your characters in to...the person that would sit down and double check item costs, and tell you that the +5 Time Buttress Heavy Steel Shield of Heavy Fortification is actually considered a +15 item, and thus Epic, which would cost a great deal more money than you have antisipated.

So, when I found out that I possibly gave up vital information to a person that wasn't suppose to have it, I freaked.

That is actually a very apt description of my role; I am also to moderate DM shenanigans, and offer some tactical suggestions and general egging-on to the badguys. For an example of me stepping in against the DM, I refer you to Soundstage A.

Now I know that Afro hasn't looked at my character sheets (When I assumed he did, cause he had to) and I feel better. He just knows what I put on the boards...I'll deal with that. What items I posted are just a drop in the hat...kind of fallbacks when things don't go my way.

Well, I've looked at them now. :smalltongue: However, I did so in my capacity as moderator. I won't adjust either the villain or the encounter to run against your party. Keld won't have that information available, so neither will he.

Do you feel more reassured now?

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 06:08 PM
Yea..it was all just a big misinterpertation on my part. I'm putting a lot more into this then I really should...and getting headaches/freaking out because of it.

If you new my Real Life game buddies, they'd say the same..I'm anal retentive...if someone remarks about something stupid on a map I drew...I'll begin to redraw it, just cause I want it perfect.

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 06:13 PM
Don't worry. I understand. :: laughing warmly ::
Boy do I ever understand.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 06:45 PM
Did my villian forget he was being invaded?

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 06:45 PM
Keld's late to the party.

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 06:47 PM
This waiting is really making things worse

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 06:58 PM
This waiting really isn't fair to Ixa... :S

Ixahinon
2009-06-07, 07:10 PM
I've been sitting at this computer since like...1pm. Trying to pass the time by reading random forums, watching FSC, and stuff....I tried to take a nap, can't. I'm slowly going insane. One of my DM buddies called me earlier, and asked if I wanted to come to his place to use his internet just in case HE was waiting on ME...

Doc Roc
2009-06-07, 07:17 PM
Charop is here for you. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=482636)

Don't worry. Far support is available.
Let it be. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-z-yck42Sc)

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 07:22 PM
I've been sitting at this computer since like...1pm. Trying to pass the time by reading random forums, watching FSC, and stuff....I tried to take a nap, can't. I'm slowly going insane. One of my DM buddies called me earlier, and asked if I wanted to come to his place to use his internet just in case HE was waiting on ME...

I am indeed very sorry about this, not least of which because I don't get to watch the show that's been a long time in coming. :smallannoyed:

Keld Denar
2009-06-07, 07:33 PM
Blah, holy crap. I just slept for 14 hours. I got home from the bachelor party last night at 3 am, and I just work up....at 5:30 pm. Wow. Anyway, I'll be around all day, just drop me a PM.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 07:52 PM
I already did. Go kick butt. Now.

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 07:54 PM
My sexy new avatar asks this question: as our one alternate source, may we use a homebrew class or race?

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 07:57 PM
My sexy new avatar asks this question: as our one alternate source, may we use a homebrew class or race?

No .

Keld Denar
2009-06-07, 08:45 PM
Test of Might one Soundstage Z updated. The setting has been set.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 11:31 PM
Just to remind everyone who wants to watch the ECL 20: it's on!

Ixahinon
2009-06-08, 12:14 AM
Since my match seems to have generated a lot of attention, I thought I would post here that I'm heading to bed for the night. Have to work in 5 or so hours, and can barely keep my head up.

Figure I'd tell you so that you don't wait forever for a response. I'll be back Monday Evening.

Keld Denar
2009-06-08, 02:31 AM
I updated the game. I'll be online whenever I wake up, which hopefully won't be 5:30 PM Pacific this time...lol.

BTW, enjoy your saving throws.

theterran
2009-06-08, 07:19 AM
Questions concerning buffs.

An 'All-Day' buff, is that specifically a 24-Hour buff? Or is "All-Day" construed as an adventuring day, which could be assumed to be 16 hours, so the party can get their 8 hours rest to prepare for the following day?

Just wondering...:smallamused:

And my party should be ready to go for my ECL 16 encounter at some point today

afroakuma
2009-06-08, 07:54 AM
Questions concerning buffs.

An 'All-Day' buff, is that specifically a 24-Hour buff? Or is "All-Day" construed as an adventuring day, which could be assumed to be 16 hours, so the party can get their 8 hours rest to prepare for the following day?

Per the rules that were bargained, 24 hours.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-08, 08:12 AM
Just to remind everyone who wants to watch the ECL 20: it's on!

Where do we watch it?

afroakuma
2009-06-08, 08:14 AM
Go to the Skybox (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113892), which is now open, for the link to the soundstage and to post comments.

No public commentary on the new soundstage, please.

theterran
2009-06-08, 11:21 AM
Alright Afro, I think I'm ready to attempt the ECL 16...

I believe Tidesinger is the DM on that one...

as a reminder...my characters are below

NO Tidesinger / ECL 16 DM
Arcane (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6420)
Divine (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6419)
SkillMonkey (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6418)
Tank (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6417)

afroakuma
2009-06-08, 09:18 PM
Oh good, another awesome matchup. :smallbiggrin:

Doc Roc
2009-06-09, 01:21 AM
As soon as a thread is up, and the most-current ECL 16 stats are relayed to me, we are ready to begin.

What buff time did you want, again, Terran?
Additionally, I will allow you one (and only one) question as per Contact Other Plane.

Talic
2009-06-09, 02:42 AM
If you like, I can PM you the stats, along with the proposed updates that Afro and I have been tossing back and forth.

theterran
2009-06-09, 05:21 AM
If you like, I can PM you the stats, along with the proposed updates that Afro and I have been tossing back and forth.

Are you directing this at me Talic?

Talic
2009-06-09, 05:40 AM
No, at Tideslinger. I wouldn't offer to PM the OpFor's stats to the soon-to-be-victim.

theterran
2009-06-09, 06:21 AM
No, at Tideslinger. I wouldn't offer to PM the OpFor's stats to the soon-to-be-victim.

I was wondering :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-06-09, 06:48 AM
theterran, Tidesinger, you can go to Soundstage A.

Doc Roc
2009-06-09, 08:40 AM

I would, naturally, appreciate that tremendously.

afroakuma
2009-06-09, 09:17 AM
You weren't sent them? :smalleek:

I'll have to go digging unless Talic can provide them.

Doc Roc
2009-06-09, 08:08 PM
No, I was never sent anything.

afroakuma
2009-06-09, 08:24 PM
Fiddlesticks. Bug Talic for them; I'm still searching.

Adumbration
2009-06-10, 02:56 PM
I think we may have a winner here - Observers please attend and check if I've missed anything. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113157&page=3)

theterran
2009-06-10, 03:07 PM
Fiddlesticks. Bug Talic for them; I'm still searching.

Someone let me know when he gets a hold of them and I'll start :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2009-06-10, 06:11 PM
I've sent him stats, along with the recommended changes to:
Non-ECL16 Players only:The turning effect, along with my personal version of the Sensory Deprivation

Hopefully, everything's in order.

Ernir
2009-06-10, 06:52 PM
I think we may have a winner here - Observers please attend and check if I've missed anything. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113157&page=3)

I forgot something. The first arrow hit, the other didn't.

I still have not dared to look under the OO tags. If he only failed his save on the second arrow, my arse might yet be kicked.

EDIT: But if I am done - I see we are short on ECL 5 and ECL 7-9 DMs. How are we on the upper levels?
Specifically, is there someone else itching to DM the ECL 20 match? I am feeling cocky. :smallamused:

EDIT2: In the high level matches, can we use the "extra" EXP to buy off some Level Adjustments? I have a particular theme party in mind. :smallbiggrin:

Saph
2009-06-11, 12:45 AM
One more match finished, one more TPK for the ECL 1-2.

Trial X Bakkan vs Saph
ECL 1-2
Buff Time None
8 rounds
TPK

I think we should put some sort of warning on this one. It really is quite lethal for any 'normal' party.

- Saph

Zid
2009-06-11, 07:11 AM
I am considering DMing the ECL 5 for Starbuck II. After reading through the battle report for the previous runthrough I have a few questions:

Am I supposed to set up the encounter myself, using only the BBEG and adding in terrain and minions?

One of the previous battles used multiple swarms attacking the same characters, forcing them to take several saving throws vs nasea each turn. Do the rules really work like that? As a player, I would say that a swarm filling up four squares is so full of angry insects that it won´t matter if you up in a few more (the second layer of bugs can´t get to you). As a DM, I would laugh in the face of a PC trying to use that trick on one of my BBEG

Oh, and is somebody interested in crushing me in the ECL 15-16 challenge? I am considering building a gang filled with deathwishes.

afroakuma
2009-06-11, 08:22 AM
One more match finished, one more TPK for the ECL 1-2.

I think we should put some sort of warning on this one. It really is quite lethal for any 'normal' party.

- Saph

Well, I added certain things to rebalance it against the ECL 2s, and a few more to counter your shenanigans, Saph.

That said, I think you could have easily removed the strongest minion in that battle and still won.

Saph
2009-06-11, 08:37 AM
I do think it needs some sort of warning label, though.

My ECL 2 party was pretty close to being the absolute strongest possible with the allowed books - and I know how to play all of the characters inside out, too, as every one is a conversion of a PC that I've actually played at those levels.

So for my party, it was a good challenge, but 'normal' ones are getting eaten alive. Hence I think a warning sign might be advisable. "Do Not Attempt Unless Your Optimisation Level Is At Least As Tall As This Sign", or something. :P

- Saph

Lapak
2009-06-11, 08:49 AM
So for my party, it was a good challenge, but 'normal' ones are getting eaten alive. Hence I think a warning sign might be advisable. "Do Not Attempt Unless Your Optimisation Level Is At Least As Tall As This Sign", or something. :P

- SaphI was under the impression that the above warning was understood to be part of the challenge of this thread to begin with, what with all the 'all parties will die. Yep, even those parties' comments towards the beginning. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-06-11, 08:50 AM
Yeah; sadly, Tidesinger showed up and reminded us all that there is a level of optimization far beyond what these foes are capable of.

Zid
2009-06-11, 08:59 AM
Yeah; sadly, Tidesinger showed up and reminded us all that there is a level of optimization far beyond what these foes are capable of.

I would be impressed if Tidesinger could construct builds that were playable at every level, AKA that they could take on the ECL 2 encounter at that level, the ECL 15 encounter at that level and so on. Not that I doubt that TS can do it tough.... :smallwink:

Talic
2009-06-11, 09:25 AM
I would be impressed if Tidesinger could construct builds that were playable at every level, AKA that they could take on the ECL 2 encounter at that level, the ECL 15 encounter at that level and so on. Not that I doubt that TS can do it tough.... :smallwink:

He can, and I can.

And Saph, I believe most of the creatures are beatable, provided your build is solid (not necessarily great), your luck is decent, and your tactics are very good.

Obviously, increasing the optimization decreases the luck or skill needed, but if people know how they intend to win, and design party members that work together, it is quite attainable.

Saph
2009-06-11, 09:37 AM
I know they can be beaten; I've done it. I just think people should have advance warning, that's all.

- Saph

afroakuma
2009-06-11, 10:00 AM
Scuh as? What would you recommend?

You're gonna lose!!!?

Saph
2009-06-11, 10:08 AM
Something like that. :)

- Saph

Ixahinon
2009-06-11, 11:20 AM
Any chance I can have a go again? Modify my characters a bit, you modify the scenario a bit...etc? I feel uncomfortable with a draw...I need closure.

Talic
2009-06-11, 03:36 PM
I know they can be beaten; I've done it. I just think people should have advance warning, that's all.

- Saph

I agree. Hence why, for the harder ones, I provided plot hooks.

Why tide gave theterran 1 use of Contact other plane.

I don't think every enemy warrants a leadup. But the more difficult ones? Certainly.

Ixahinon
2009-06-11, 04:29 PM
I think a few 'power ups', hints, and what not would be useful for every ECL. A few potions on the remains of some last attempt to foil the villian...a hidden note written by a woud be hero that managed to hide long enough to write it...giving a very small clue on the villians race, favorite spell, favorite tactic, position, etc.

Perhaps even a moderately powerful item that will give the players a small amount of hope against an assault. Something minor, and something with probably 1 time use. Like .. off the top of my head .. rabbits foot. Artifact that, when used, will give the user and his party a +5 luck bonus to all saves against the next immediate save. Item crumbles to dust after use.

This will give that level 7 party hope when they find out their ECL encounter hosts an Adult Wraith Dragon.

theterran
2009-06-11, 04:58 PM
I think a few 'power ups', hints, and what not would be useful for every ECL. A few potions on the remains of some last attempt to foil the villian...a hidden note written by a woud be hero that managed to hide long enough to write it...giving a very small clue on the villians race, favorite spell, favorite tactic, position, etc.

Perhaps even a moderately powerful item that will give the players a small amount of hope against an assault. Something minor, and something with probably 1 time use. Like .. off the top of my head .. rabbits foot. Artifact that, when used, will give the user and his party a +5 luck bonus to all saves against the next immediate save. Item crumbles to dust after use.

This will give that level 7 party hope when they find out their ECL encounter hosts an Adult Wraith Dragon.

Wraith Dragon? What's a Wraith Dragon? :smalleek:

Doc Roc
2009-06-11, 05:18 PM
.............Absolutely nothing, I promise.

:|

Starbuck_II
2009-06-11, 05:55 PM

What's there a movie about a Wraith Dragon called D&D or something?

Talic
2009-06-11, 06:06 PM
Not sure. Haven't seen any D&D movies since that atrocious one.

Ixahinon
2009-06-11, 07:40 PM
Some CR 3 Wraith managed to kill a CR 25 Dragon through con damage (Dragon couldn't get pass the incorperealness) and thus....dragon became a wraith.

Colmarr
2009-06-11, 07:45 PM
What's there a movie about a Wraith Dragon called D&D or something?

Your'e thinking of D&D: Wrath of the Dragon God (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406728/), a subtle but important spelling difference.

Spelling can be important in D&D. Ask Andy Collins' players to tell you about the Wight/White dragon they faced :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-06-11, 09:11 PM

There is no smiley sinister enough to depict the horrific malice of my sadistic grin reading this.

One day, I may actually release this breed of dragon to Homebrew. Until then, it remains safely caged within my nightmarish keep.

Doc Roc
2009-06-11, 09:20 PM
Terran and I are properly started.

Keld, your presence is requested in the Test of Spite by the Dweller on the Threshold.

Ixahinon
2009-06-11, 09:21 PM
But....Wraith Dragon was mine...I mentioned it :smallfrown:

Do you still need an ECL 7-9 DM? I want to do something...

OMG PONIES
2009-06-11, 09:24 PM
I'd like to take a crack at this. Can i sign up as player for the ECL 15-16 challenge? I'd like to play a team of all 16s.

Also, are the T1 Completes (arcane, adventurer, warrior, divine) accessible to ALL of our characters, or just one per role? For instance, can my bard skillmonkey take a PrC from Complete Arcane?

Also, does the PHB II fall in the category of my one allowable extra book?

Doc Roc
2009-06-11, 09:25 PM
Ixa, you just make mistakes now and then, and then apologize. I am not prone to being upset, I am afraid that you have just caught me at bad times. Keld offered me a challenge a while ago, though, and I felt it was only fair to counter-offer.

afroakuma
2009-06-11, 09:32 PM
Ixa: yeah, I need a 7-9 DM for Starbuck.

theterran
2009-06-11, 09:40 PM
Ok, no one actually answered my question about what a Wraith Dragon truely is...:smallannoyed:

Ixahinon
2009-06-11, 09:43 PM
Ixa, you just make mistakes now and then, and then apologize. I am not prone to being upset, I am afraid that you have just caught me at bad times. Keld offered me a challenge a while ago, though, and I felt it was only fair to counter-offer.

...what is this in response to?

and AWESOME..I get to DM...what do I need to know?

And I told you want a Wraith Dragon is...it's a CR 25 Dragon that got his butt whipped by a CR 3 Wraith (Dragon couln't get past incorperealness), and died to con damage...boom Wraith Dragon.

afroakuma
2009-06-11, 09:47 PM
and AWESOME..I get to DM...what do I need to know?

I'll dispatch you the opposition via PM.

And I told you want a Wraith Dragon is...it's a CR 25 Dragon that got his butt whipped by a CR 3 Wraith (Dragon couln't get past incorperealness), and died to con damage...boom Wraith Dragon.

No, that would be a dead stupid dragon.

A dracowraith is a dragon slain by a wraith dragon.

A wraith dragon is a dragon native to the border of the Negative Energy Plane and the Plane of Shadow.

Ixahinon
2009-06-11, 09:49 PM

Exactly...a White Dragon...The Dragon Race's Retard...

But yea...was just a joke

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-11, 10:09 PM
Spelling can be important in D&D. Ask Andy Collins' players to tell you about the Wight/White dragon they faced :smallbiggrin:Humorously enough, a short time ago, I statted out a "Black & Wight Wyvern." :smallamused:

Eurus
2009-06-12, 12:12 PM
A wraith dragon is a dragon native to the border of the Negative Energy Plane and the Plane of Shadow.

Hmm... I don't suppose that would have any relation to the encounter I'm in right now, would it? :smallamused:

Master_Rahl22
2009-06-12, 12:14 PM
Ok, once I manage to check on skill points for one of my characters this evening, I will be ready to start the 7-9 challenge. Shall I post my characters so they can be checked for errors?

afroakuma
2009-06-12, 12:15 PM
Oh? Is that what's gnawing on your party? :smalltongue:

Ernir
2009-06-12, 07:07 PM
*Pokes thread*

Did I win the fight going on in Soundstage E (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113157)? :smallredface:

Also, I think this went unanswered:

if I am done - I see we are short on ECL 5 and ECL 7-9 DMs. How are we on the upper levels?
Specifically, is there someone else itching to DM the ECL 20 match? I am feeling cocky. :smallamused:

EDIT2: In the high level matches, can we use the "extra" EXP to buy off some Level Adjustments? I have a particular theme party in mind. :smallbiggrin:

No ECL 20 baddies allowed!
The theme I referred to in the quoted post is one of an all-Good, all-Drow party. This time, NO ONE is going in without 24/7 Darkvision. :smalleek:

afroakuma
2009-06-12, 09:32 PM
Ernir: I think I can find a pilot for ECL 20 if you're willing to bring your A game.

Looks like you made your kill. Get me the stats on the battle and I'll add you to the winners' circle.

Lucky poison. Good for you! :smallsmile: