Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Slam +16 melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +16 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Utterances
Special Qualities: Elemental traits, darkvision 60 ft., streetwalker, home city
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 8, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Climb +22, Jump +22, Knowledge (Local) +19, Listen +15, Spot +15, Truespeach +22
Feats: Power Attack, Skill Focus (Truespeach), Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior), Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (Slam)
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 2-5 HD (Small), 6-10 HD (Medium), 11-15 HD (Large), 16-20 HD (Huge), 21-25 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: –

An Oppidanym is a physical, living manifestation of the truename of a city. Not all cities have Oppidanyms–only those with truenames of great cosmic significance do. In addition, each such city has but one Oppidanym, and the strength of the Oppidanym is tied to the city’s own. The Oppidanym presented here could serve as the guardian of an average city. Small cities or unusually corrupt cities might have weaker Oppidanyms, while large and famous cities might have a larger Oppidanym. An Oppidanym looks like a humanoid made from the building blocks of its city. It might seem to be made of wood if it dwells in a primitive town with little more than huts, while the Oppidanym of a bustling metropolis might seem to be built from bricks and iron. An Oppidanym’s only concerns are for the defense and betterment of its city. It will never fight unless it knows its enemy has been attacking not just the city’s residents, but the city itself.

Utterances
Lexicon of the Evolving Mind–defensive edge, mystic rampart; Lexicon of the Perfected Map–shield of the landscape, transform the landscape.

Streetwalker (Su)
As long as a Oppidanym is on a road, bridge, canal, or other artificially constructed means of travel within its home city, it gains a +20 enhancement bonus to its base land speed and can move without regard to impediment, as the freedom of movement spell.

Home City (Su)
Each Oppidanym is tied to a single city. The Oppidanym’s personal truename is the same as that of the city. In addition, while outside the borders of its city, a Oppidanym must make a DC 25 Fortitude save each minute or take 1d4 points of Constitution damage. If a Oppidanym’s home city is destroyed, the Oppidanym is permanently destroyed as well.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-01, 02:12 AM
So is it a public or secretive creature? Around all the time or just manifests from the buildings whenever needed?

The Demented One
2006-08-01, 09:06 AM
So is it a public or secretive creature? Around all the time or just manifests from the buildings whenever needed?
Secretive, definantly secretive. It's always present, but prefers to lurk somewhere deep within the city, prefferably a centralized location. Some dwell in sewers, some find abandoned buildings to make their own, others attempt to pose as statues.

MagFlare
2006-08-01, 09:54 AM
This is a fascinating idea - the City Elemental. Bonus points for the name "oppidanym," even if it does combine a Latin root with a Greek suffix. ;)

I imagine London's oppidanym would be perpetually sooty and wet, while, for example, Dayton, Ohio's would be badly laid out and swarming with homeless people asking you for change.

chaiyo
2006-08-01, 08:32 PM
I wonder how far you would advance this creature for a city that envelops an entire planet that is only slightly larger than earth. I would expect it to go into Epic Challenge Ratings. Because that's how far you'd have to go for my campaign.

I should have Tome of Magic before I'm able to put this into my campaign. And I do intend on that. However, I do have one critique for you: you seem to have forgotten the size modifier to attack roll. Everything else seems good, though, but I might be able to examine more accurately with even a margin of knowledge of Truespeech.

The Demented One
2006-08-01, 08:43 PM
I wonder how far you would advance this creature for a city that envelops an entire planet that is only slightly larger than earth. I would expect it to go into Epic Challenge Ratings. Because that's how far you'd have to go for my campaign.
Colossal+ size, HD out the wazoo, possibly divine ranks.

You seem to have forgotten the size modifier to attack roll.
He has weapon focus for his slam attack, that might be what makes it look odd.

chaiyo
2006-08-01, 10:46 PM
Oh, you know where I went wrong? I mistook Strength 24 to have a modifier of +6.

Also, for the flavor I would go for, the Collossal+ Oppidanym probably would have divine ranks. Maybe even two or three, considering that the only gods that matter are overdeities.