PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a "Dirty Fighting" feat (3.5)

Harperfan7
2009-05-22, 10:26 PM
I know the one from sword & fist, but it's useless.

I want goblins in my world to be infamously dirty fighters, so I was thinking something like on a critical hit from a melee weapon, the target must make a fort save DC 10 + 1/2 bab + primary ability score modifier or be blinded/nauseated/sickened/staggered/something for 1 round (+ primary ability score modifier?).

I don't really care if it only happens on a crit or not, just so that it deals some nasty status effect. Maybe you choose which every time you get it to work?

Any help is appreciated.

Shinizak
2009-05-22, 10:33 PM
Weapon focus (molotov cocktail)

Go to town.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-22, 10:45 PM
Sand in the Face: Fort-save or blind until you take a full round action to remove the sand?

Shot to the Crotch: Fort-save or nausea for d4 rounds?

Eye-gouge: During a grapple: Fort-save or permanently blind?

As for determining the save DC, I would imagine 10+1/2 Level+INT(or WIS, depending on how you view intuitiveness) would be acceptable.

Kornaki
2009-05-22, 10:49 PM
Pretty sure strength is the determining factor on a kick to the crotch. Or dexterity, if they might miss

Dogmantra
2009-05-23, 05:14 AM
Sand in the Face: Fort-save or blind until you take a full round action to remove the sand?

Eye-gouge: During a grapple: Fort-save or permanently blind?
I'd probably do reflex for these, because even though you can take having your eyes ripped out like a man, you've still got no eyes left.
Reflex would be to dodge it.

Pyrusticia
2009-05-23, 08:35 AM

I'd say 2d6 rounds, since with enough movement the sand will eventually fall off the face. Or a full round action to remove before-hand. Note that this can also be used with other terrain...I'm thinking specifically of mud and snow. Mud should be just as effective as sand. Snow should only last 1d6 rounds due to melting and lack of irritating remnants.

Other uses should be possible...if, for example, your character is invulnerable to fire and fighting in a volcano, throwing lava into the eyes on an enemy should be just as effective as mud for blinding, with additional fire damage... :smallamused:

Shot to the Crotch: Fort-save or nausea for d4 rounds?

This is a good one, although it should probably be limited to humanoid opponents. Although I could see an argument allowing rangers to use it against their favored enemies, based on their knowledge of equivalent vulnerabilities.

As for mechanics, I like the idea of using crits...if a character with this feat gets a confirmed crit, they can choose to forgo the extra damage in exchange for one effect of their choice (dependent on terrain and opponent, of course).

DanielLC
2009-05-23, 10:14 AM
In the circumstances adventurers are in, there's no such thing as clean fighting. If a paladin can justify stabbing someone, they should be able to justify something more mild, such as gouging out the other guys eyes. If you're going to allow goblins to fight like that, everyone should.

deuxhero
2009-05-23, 10:17 AM
But how do you get that close enough to lava without dieing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection) but still have low enough resists to be damaged by contact

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-23, 10:47 AM
If you're going to allow goblins to fight like that, everyone should.

Except Knights. Because they have a code specifically disallowing this kind of thing. :smalltongue:

Shalizar
2009-05-23, 05:15 PM
Alright, this is not constructive in anyway to this thread, but someone had to say it.

Elven Mud Wrestling

Pyrusticia
2009-05-24, 12:44 AM
But how do you get that close enough to lava without dieing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection) but still have low enough resists to be damaged by contact

...good point.

Meh, it was such a fun idea, too.

Maybe a flying opponent, hovering on the heated updrafts? *shrugs*

Oh, well, it still works like mud does, sticking to the face and blinding you. :smallbiggrin:

Xefas
2009-05-24, 12:57 AM
What about making it a Tactical feat, where you get three different uses out of it depending on the circumstances?

Use one: Use an action to put a minor status ailment on someone for a brief period of time
Use two: Add a worse status ailment, but only as part of a critical hit
Use three: Add a more severe, and/or permanent status ailment but only during a grapple

For example, kick grit into someone's eyes, giving them a 20% miss chance, maneuver behind them and deliver a crit with your 15-20 range kukri right to the liver, causing them to be nauseated for 1 round, and while they're suitably distracted stumbling around like a drunkard, tackle them to the ground, put them in a grapple, and gouge out their eyes.

Harperfan7
2009-05-24, 11:32 AM
What about making it a Tactical feat, where you get three different uses out of it depending on the circumstances?

Use one: Use an action to put a minor status ailment on someone for a brief period of time
Use two: Add a worse status ailment, but only as part of a critical hit
Use three: Add a more severe, and/or permanent status ailment but only during a grapple

For example, kick grit into someone's eyes, giving them a 20% miss chance, maneuver behind them and deliver a crit with your 15-20 range kukri right to the liver, causing them to be nauseated for 1 round, and while they're suitably distracted stumbling around like a drunkard, tackle them to the ground, put them in a grapple, and gouge out their eyes.

Yeah, this is good. Can you make it?

Fitz10019
2009-05-24, 02:42 PM
Dirty Blade - Fort save vs. nauseated 1d3 rounds after first successful attack - Goblins stuff rotting meat and other nastiness into their sheaths to make their weapons more potent. Their blades are 'clean' after a successful attack, but they will resheath and redraw during a lull in a battle.

Ankle Bite - like the Weasel's Attach attack - Goblins use their teeth during a grapple, in addition to other attacks.

Jerky Spit - like Blinding Spittle spell - Goblins chew dried meats (don't ask of what) and have thick, clingy saliva. Spit attack available every 1d6+2 rounds. Victim needs a full round action to swipe it off.

Bell ringer - crotch kick - (previously suggested -- I agree with the Fort Save) Goblins aim for where it hurts most. This attack should be made with -4 to the attack roll v. males characters, -8 v. female characters. Failing fort save the victim is stunned for 1 round. This attack fails against any form of heavy armor.