PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Stocking a Utility Belt

Warclam
2009-05-23, 12:45 PM
I'm working on creating a utility belt-style assemblage of handy items for a Factotum. I could have sworn I saw a list somewhere with a bunch of good suggestions, as well the very flavourful idea of putting them into a Belt of Hidden Pouches, but I appear to have lost that page, sadly. So, what kind of things would be handy?

EDIT: found the list! It's here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3d7801a927efe9d32617863ef4a904 39&topic=4400.0) if you want to see it.

Kosjsjach
2009-05-23, 01:09 PM
I'm interested to see this list, I hope someone finds it.
In the meantime, you can pick up a plethora of cheap useful items from the Arms & Equipment Guide. You can find a pulley, sparker, glass cutter, dwarfblind stone, shriek rock, instant rope in a flask, insectbane candle...
(Someone please tell me if the A&EG is usually not allowed in 3.5 games. I'm a bit fuzzy on the issue.)

Gorbash
2009-05-23, 01:14 PM
It's not.

RTGoodman
2009-05-23, 01:33 PM
Get a bag of holding, and then buy at least a little bit of everything on the mundane equipment list. Just in case. After that, take a look at Complete Scoundrel - it has stuff like a tube of rust monster larvae that eat through locks for you, a jar of bugs you bust open to immediately remedy being swallowed whole, and stuff like that. After that, grab a bag of tricks, some marvelous pigments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments), a handful of feather tokens, and whatever other cheap/cool wondrous items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm) you think might be useful.

Basically, you're MacGuyver.

Warclam
2009-05-23, 01:37 PM
I don't see why it shouldn't be, but I think it often isn't. In my campaign, though, it is, so thanks for the suggestion! There are definitely some handy things in there. I seem to recall my phantom list mentioning bolt cutters, and the grappling ladder looks like a really useful thing to have around.

rtg: good suggestion. And wow, I'd never seen marvelous pigments before. That stuff is absolutely perfect, assuming you're allowed to only use a little at a time to make small items. Used carefully, it should be usable to sketch out a lot of useful little trinkets. Is it possible to create marvelous pigment alchemical items? You couldn't sell them, of course, but I love the idea of being able to destroy a marble pillar by painting some stonebreaker acid on it.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-23, 01:45 PM
(Someone please tell me if the A&EG is usually not allowed in 3.5 games. I'm a bit fuzzy on the issue.)

It's not.
According to the official rules, Gorbash, you're wrong.
This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-05-23, 01:56 PM
The Basics:

Wand of Knock
Wand of Grease
Scroll of Teleport (to get the party out of trouble)

Handy Haversack (better than Bag of Holding, because it is also indexed, and cheaper, although not quite as much storage capacity)
Ring of Sustenance (no rations needed, and only need 2 hours of rest to regain spells)
Necklace of Adaptation (immunity to any gasses like Cloudkill)

Rope (at least 300')
Grappling Hook
10' pole (LOTS of these, you have the capacity in the Haversack)
Chalk
Oil flasks (for impromptu burnination of stuff)
Canvas (LOTS of this as well, has SO many uses)
Feather Tokens (boat, anchor, tree, fan)
Hand of the Mage (unlimited Mage Hand? Done!)
Marvelous Pigments (check out the old Bugs Bunny cartoons for uses)
Sovereign Glue
Smokestick
Tindertwig
Thunderstone
Tanglefoot Bag

Pearl of Power (3rd level) - for your wizard to cast Greater Magic Weapon with

The more expensive, but quite handy stuff

Lantern of Revealing (with continual flame inside to keep it lit indefinitely)
Bead of Karma (for your cleric to cast buffs on party with)
Portable Hole

Chronos
2009-05-23, 02:37 PM
Feather Tokens are nice, too. They're one-use each, but they're still cheap enough to be worth it when that particular situation comes up. And the Rod of Lordly Might is a bit pricey, but versatile enough (especially with a bit of imagination) to be worth it.

Another one to consider is the Rod of Wonder. Sometimes, you just need to make something completely random happen. And if nothing else, you can just shoot it at a blank wall repeatedly and hope to get the spray of gems.

Gorbash
2009-05-23, 02:54 PM
Ring of Sustenance (no rations needed, and only need 2 hours of rest to regain spells)

Wrong. You still need 8 hours of rest, Ring of Sustenance only allows you to sleep for two hours a day. That means sleeping 2 hours and 6 hours of hanging around.

Warclam
2009-05-23, 03:04 PM
Keep in mind that this isn't for a Wizard: it's for some kind of rogue-like character, in this case a Factotum. Pearls of Power, for example, are worthless here.

That said, great stuff. Should I put a summary in the first post?

Flickerdart
2009-05-23, 03:07 PM
Keep in mind that this isn't for a Wizard: it's for some kind of rogue-like character, in this case a Factotum. Pearls of Power, for example, are worthless here.

That said, great stuff. Should I put a summary in the first post?
It's not for you to use. It's to mooch spells off of your party Wizard.

Bulwer
2009-05-23, 03:12 PM
Obviously, go over the SRD list of wondrous items. Sovereign Glue and so on are invaluable.

Dungeonscape has the Collapsible Pole, among other practical-minded goodies. Complete Adventurer and Scoundrel are forever handy, as well. Pick up some of the alchemical items.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-23, 03:18 PM
You know something? CO has a handbook for everything. Including your utility belt. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0)

Warclam
2009-05-23, 03:21 PM
It's not for you to use. It's to mooch spells off of your party Wizard.

Ah, gotcha. I don't happen to have a party wizard, though. Actually I currently am the party wizard, but I'm leaving him behind because I can't stand spell preparation (and yes, I know Factotums prepare their spell-like abilities, but it's not quite the same when it's not all you do).

Yes, I'm giving up being God so I can be The Corpse. Don't judge me.

On a happier note, when I swung by the Brilliant Gameologists board to make sure I was referencing "Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards: Being a God" correctly, I found the fabled list! It's here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3d7801a927efe9d32617863ef4a904 39&topic=4400.0) if anyone wants to see it.

EDIT: Gah, ninja'd! On my own thread!