PDA

View Full Version : [4e] New possibility for the Soul Knife??

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-23, 04:04 PM
Okay, so it's been like a week since the Monk was revealed as the upcoming Psionic Striker. So this got me thinking... could the Soul Knife end up being a Monk Paragon Path?

Thoughts? Opinions? Predictions? :smallwink:

SurlySeraph
2009-05-23, 04:05 PM
That'd make sense, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped the soulknife altogether, though.

The Glyphstone
2009-05-23, 04:41 PM
I can see that happening. Say, at 1st level of the path (level 11?), their unarmed strikes always count as being +1 weapons. At 15th level, it upgrades to +2. At 10th level (20th level) it upgrades to +3.

NecroRebel
2009-05-23, 04:55 PM
I can see that happening. Say, at 1st level of the path (level 11?), their unarmed strikes always count as being +1 weapons. At 15th level, it upgrades to +2. At 10th level (20th level) it upgrades to +3.

That... would suck pretty hard. Enhancements on weapons are top priority for strikers, so most if not all will have +2 or +3 weapons by 11. By 15 and 20, their bonus will increase by another 1 or 2.

Maybe if you made it +4 as one of the 11 features with increases to +5 at 16, +6 at 21, and the otherwise-unattainable +7 at 26, it would be worthwhile as a paragon path, being essentially +1 to hit and damage at all times and allowing investment in better weapon properties over enhancement bonuses.

I could also see Soulknife as a PP, though. It would probably be better to make unarmed strikes count as a different weapon type, like light blades, in addition to unarmed, allow basic ranged attacks to be made with unarmed strikes, and probably add psychic damage to unarmed attacks.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-23, 05:30 PM
I think soulknife will be either a paragon path, or one of the choosable class features, for the psionic warrior. Probably making him more striker-like in the latter case.

Dhavaer
2009-05-23, 06:04 PM
That... would suck pretty hard.

Consistency!

TheEmerged
2009-05-23, 06:23 PM
/sarcasm on
Because it's not like you can have more than one class fit the archetype for a power source. I mean, it's not like there are two martial strikers or two arcane strikers or anything.
/sarcasm off

:smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-23, 06:30 PM

Well I believe I heard that the Monk's unarmed strikes will be enchantable now (or at least that he'll be able to transfer enchantments from other weapons or something), so going this route is improbable and also somewhat lackluster.

/sarcasm on
Because it's not like you can have more than one class fit the archetype for a power source. I mean, it's not like there are two martial strikers or two arcane strikers or anything.
/sarcasm off

:smallwink:

Yeah, that's still possible. This is just a wild theory, after all. But if they're gonna make the Monk psionic anyway, it seems like a good fit to me.

I mean, a psionic guy who hits people with his fists and a psionic guy who hits people with his fists modified by psionic energy blades aren't really that different. :smallbiggrin:

Hal
2009-05-23, 07:09 PM
Hm, what if it increased the amount of damage done by monk unarmed strikes?

I think it's 1d8, right? Maybe upgrade it to d10 or d12. Alternatively, you could just add in bonus damage (say, +Cha or +Wis to all unarmed strikes) on top of normal bonuses (boni?).

Artanis
2009-05-23, 08:00 PM
I figure there's two main possibilities: either making the Soulknife a Monk PP, or else them making the PsyWar and giving it the name "Soulknife" (like how they made Changelings and called them "Doppelgangers")

Shadow_Elf
2009-05-23, 11:07 PM
I could also see Soulknife as a PP, though. It would probably be better to make unarmed strikes count as a different weapon type, like light blades, in addition to unarmed, allow basic ranged attacks to be made with unarmed strikes, and probably add psychic damage to unarmed attacks.

This. If I was put in charge of including the Soul Knife in 4e, this is how I would do it. For Example:

Level 11: Your Monk Unarmed Strike counts as a light blade for the purposes of feats, weapon enchantments etc...
Level 11: When you spend an action point to make an attack, the target is also weakened until the end of your next turn
Level 16: Your Monk Unarmed Strike gains the Light Thrown property.

Something along those lines would work pretty well.