PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 optimizing a 15warmage/5warshaper hints and tips?

penbed400
2009-05-23, 06:01 PM
Title pretty much says it all. Any tips or hints on how to optimize a character like this would be good. I'm just trying to help out my friend and I've never been good at anything non-core so I thought I'd come on here to ask for help.

All I have so far is that it's a 15 warmage and a 5 warshaper, stats are (str)22, (dex)16, (con)20, (int)18, (wis)15 and (cha)19, it's a level 20 and I'm not sure which stats got the bonuses over the levels or not, (variables depending on suggestions) human, and neutral.. I've read through the class and I can't really think of much to power it up but as I said my knowledge is limited. He already has a few magic items on him but these can change too, Landing Breastplate, Roaring Buckler +3, Headband of Intellect +6, Third Eye Concentrate, Amulet of Natural Armor + 5, Cloak of Charisma +6, 2 rings of universal greater energy resistance, hellcat gauntlets, bracers of armor +8, Belt of giant's strength, sandals of springing. Most things are variable.

Any and all help is welcome.

Bulwer
2009-05-23, 06:12 PM
Here's an excellent guide to the class. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2816.0)

It's very different, as the guide emphasizes, playing one at low and high levels. They also suggest focusing largely on increasing the spell list.

Gorbash
2009-05-23, 06:22 PM
Headband of Intellect +3

How's this possible?

Salt_Crow
2009-05-23, 06:29 PM
Well you're adding 5 levels of non-spellcasting PrC to a not-so-hot base spellcasting class. If you want to go gish you'd be better off with Wiz or at least Sor and multiclassing to Abjurant champion and its ilks.

Also, all of Warshaper's class features only work while shapeshifted (so while under the effect of Tenser's Transformation basically for the warmage) which isn't exactly all-day long unless you're a changeling(ECS, MM3). You might want to reconsider the race if that's feasible.

Overall, I'd say using 7th-level spells from a very restrictive (bad for spellcasters) list at ECL 20 is a horrible choice if you really wanted to optimise a gish. A typical gish build would look like Base Spellcasting Class 5/Eldritch Knight (or Knight Phantom) 10/Abjurant Champion 5; BAB +17 and CL 19 so even a sorcerer could cast 9th-level spells by ECL 19.

I can't stress this enough: 9th-level spell solves everything although Warmage's spell list really sucks :(

p.s. Oh by the way, if you play Sor/Wiz there's a spell called Bite of the Wearbear (Spell Compendium) that boosts your Str by +16 as well as a lot of goodies (NA boost, Con boost, Blindfight and Power Attack etc), lasting 1round/level. Drop your Str and just focus on primary casting stat, mate ;)

Edit:

What are you using to qualify for Warshaper?
Wouldn't Tenser's Tranformation ('Transformation' in SRD) qualify for the PrC?

Faleldir
2009-05-23, 06:33 PM
I deleted my post before I saw you edit yours. I'm sorry.

penbed400
2009-05-23, 06:41 PM
How's this possible?

Sorry it's +6 I didn't see the typo

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-23, 06:45 PM
How's this possible?

Magic item creation rules. It's actually a valid item, but silly for him to own at level 20.