PDA

View Full Version : Discworld D20 Splatbook Feats/Spells Dumping Zone

Single Shot Zombie
2006-03-19, 11:19 AM
For all those working on the Discworld D20 Splatbook project, place your feat/spell ideas over here, as well as any comments that would apply.

One suggestion: please try to lump feats from the same chain into one post. Easier to read that way.

I'll start the ball rolling with my Spinning Blow feat chain for weapons that benefit from being whirled around, including the Discworld half-brick in a sock.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1142754569 ;start=30

Spinning Blow (General, Fighter)

Prerequisites: Strength 13, proficiency in selected weapon (see below), Weapon focus in selected weapon (see below).

When a character selects this feat, choose one of the following weapons: dire flail, flail, heavy flail, half-brick in a sock, nunchaku, sling, spiked chain, whip.

By spending a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the character can swing the weapon around rapidly to deal extra damage on his next attack, using centrifugal force to magnify the force of the blow. The character can choose not to execute the attack on his next move, but he needs to spend a standard action (still provoking attacks of opportunity) each round maintaining the spin.

Such an attack deals 2x normal damage on a successful hit, rounded down. Calculate the normal damage done by the hit, and then double the damage done. Do not factor in the extra damage from weapon special abilities, enhancement bonuses or external sources; only the weapon's base damage and the user's Strength modifier are factored into the calculation. For double weapons (i.e. spiked chain, dire flail), the character only attack with one end of the weapon.

If the attack of opportunity is successful or the character performs his next attack, the character loses the benefits of Spinning Blow. If the character is stunned, paralyzed, asleep, knocked unconscious or is made oterwise incapable of action, he likewise loses the benefits of the feat.

This feat can be taken multiple times; each time, it applies to a different weapon on the list.

A fighter can take Spinning Blow as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Note: The DM can allow other weapons thematically similar to those in the above list to benefit from Spinning Blow, at his own discretion.

Burst Impact (General, Fighter)

Prerequisites: Strength 13, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Half-brick in a Sock), Weapon Focus (Half-brick in a Sock), Spinning Blow (Half-brick in a Sock).

A character with this feat can smash or hurl a half-brick in a sock with such force that it fragments on impact, heavily damaging anything that it hits.

On an attack with the half-brick in a sock that benefits from Spinning Blow, the character gains a +4 to confirm a critical threat with that attack, and can bypass up to 5 points of hardness with that attack.

A successful hit fragments the half-brick in a sock, irretrievably destroying it. The character can choose whether or not to apply the effects of Burst Impact to his attacks with the half-brick in a sock.

Anything that would disrupt the character from utilising Spinning Blow also prevents him from using Burst Impact.

A fighter can take Burst Impact as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Between the Eyes (General, Fighter)

Prerequisites: Strength 13, proficiency with sling, Weapon Focus (sling), Spinning Blow (sling), Point Blank Shot.

With this feat, a character can blast an opponent within 30 ft. with a sling bullet, dealing heavy damage and blinding the enemy.

On a successful attack with a sling that benefits from Spinning Blow, the enemy must make a successful Fortitude save (DC equal to the total damage dealt) or be blinded for 1d3 rounds.

Enemies that are immune to being blinded (or have no eyes to speak of) are not affected by Between the Eyes.

Anything that would disrupt the character from utilising Spinning Blow also prevents him from using Between the Eyes.

A fighter can take Between the Eyes as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Skullcrusher (General, Fighter)

Prerequisites: Strength 15, proficiency with flail/heavy flail/nunchaku/dire flail, Weapon Focus (flail/heavy flail/nunchaku/dire flail), Spinning Blow (flail/heavy flail/nunchaku/dire flail), base attack bonus +5.

With this feat, a character can deal a heavy blow to the enemy's head, incapacitating that enemy as well as dealing heavy damage.

On an attack with a flail/heavy flail/nunchaku/dire flail that benefits from Spinning Blow, the character can choose to take a -4 penalty to his attack in order to target the enemy's head. If the attack is successful, the enemy must make a Fortitude save (DC equal to the total damage dealt) or be stunned for 1d3 rounds.

Whether or not the attack is successful, the character loses the remainder of his attack routine (if a full round action) or his remaining movement for that round, and is considered flat-footed until his next round unless he succeeds on a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid losing his balance.

Enemies that are immune to stunning (or have no heads to speak of) are not affected by Skullcrusher.

Anything that would disrupt the character from utilising Spinning Blow also prevents him from using Skullcrusher.

A fighter can take Skullcrusher as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Dragonmuncher
2006-03-19, 02:29 PM
Whoops, didn't see the actual Splatbook post. I'll repost this here.

Hm... I don't know if it should be a feat, but some sort of ability/ spell regarding Borrowing would be cool.

It would sort of be a cross between Astral Projection, and possessing an animal. A Ramptop Witch class would go well in this splatbook...

Oh! A feat that allows you to give some of your life force to someone else, like in Reaper Man.

Lend Time
Prerequisites: Wis 13

As a last resort, you can share your life force with a dying ally.

As a full round action, you can concentrate your life force into any dying ally you can see within a 30-foot radius to effectively stabalize them for one round. This can be continued from round to round, but no other action other than a 5-foot step (or talking) may be taken, or the connection is broken.

Continue to treat the dying as un-stabalized (unconscious, makes stabalizing checks), only without the HP loss of a failed stabalization check.

Unless some outside force acts on the dying (someone casting a healing spell, someone making a Heal check, the dying stabalizing on its own) the dying person immediately resumes dying as normal as soon as the connection is broken.

If the dying person becomes truly stabalized (would be stabalized without your help), the connection is automatically broken.

While you share your life force with your ally, you take not quite sure what to put here 5% of your base maximum HP in damage each round. This damage must be healed naturally, not by magic or a Heal check. If you die while sharing your life force, it is as if you died from old age, and are unable to be ressurected.

a little wordy, but I think I like it. Any thoughts?

Jarl
2006-03-19, 07:58 PM
In Through The Wossnames Door
Conjuration (Teleportation/Summon)
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Variable
Range: 75 feet
Target: Creature on another plane, or up to eight willing creatures on another plane joining hands
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You inadvertantly summon some creature from another plane or alternate dimension or up to eight creatures holding hands from some other plane or alternate dimension into yours. In Through The Wossnames Door is randomly cast if you fail a skill check (or whatever, not entirely familliar with 3rd edition) on a summon spell, causing teleportation or summoning of above creatures. While in your plane or dimension, however, said creature(s) gain skills, abilities, spells, and feats of the intended summoned creature(s) unless these would be nullified by any skills, abilities, spells, or feats the creature already has. If a creature with no eyes is summoned instead of a medusa, it cannot turn creatures to stone.

-I've never even read a spell description from a d20 system before, so this is kinda experimental for me. I took the SRD entry on plane shift and reworked it for Rincewind's FaustEric adventure, then realized that plane shift doesn't really fit both ways, so I reworked some of the Seed Summon into it, but I think it looks crazy.

Gralamin
2006-03-20, 02:11 AM
um this is feats, not spells

Single Shot Zombie
2006-03-20, 05:50 AM
Ah, fine; I'll open this to spells as well. And Jarl, that spell needs quite a bit of serious reworking........

As for more feat ideas:

Equal Rites (General, Initial)

Prerequisites: Must be of a race that has distinct male and female genders.

A character with this feat is not restricted by his or her gender. The character can qualify for gender specific feats, classes and prestige classes as if he or she was of either gender. The character also counts as either gender in respect to using gender-specific magical items. The character's actual gender is not changed.

This feat can only be taken at 1st level.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-03-20, 09:24 AM
Since we're doing spells here, might as well create one of my own that'll apply.

Spatial Rift
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: See text
Duration: Concentration + 1 round
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

The caster concentrates, creating a temporary rift in the fabric of space in a 10 ft. by 10 ft. area of open space in front of him. This connects to a similar 10 ft. by 10 ft. rift, created anywhere within range that the caster desires. The caster has to visualize the location, or state the direction and distance from the caster where the other rift is to be created.

Both rifts created are opaque black spheres; it is impossible to see through the rift to the other side.

Anyone of Large size or smaller who enters the same area as the 10 ft. by 10 ft. rift is instantly teleported to a square adjacent to the other rift. Huge or larger creatures cannot fit into the rift.

Once the caster ceases concentration on the rift, it starts to flicker and waver, before vanishing 1 round later.

Attempts to create either of the rifts in an area smaller than 10 ft. by 10 ft. simply fail.

Spatial rift can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Should allow for the creation of those weird portals in the Unseen University. The wizards used one of those as a rubbish dumping ground at first, thinking that their junk simply disappeared. That is, until they realized that the trash actually ended up in a room in the attic.

Cant remember which book was it; I think it was "The Last Continent".

Rei_Jin
2006-03-20, 06:19 PM
The email from Terry Pratchett has been received and posted. We have approval to go ahead!!!

Jarl
2006-03-20, 09:55 PM
Like I said, I'm no expert at spells. I just took plane shift and seed summon and combined them rather sloppily.

-Besides, like I said, I know literally nothing about 3rd edition spells and whatnot. 3.5th edition. Whatever.

Gralamin
2006-03-20, 11:37 PM
Rite of AshkEnte
Conjuration (Summon)
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: G, V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 2 hours or 5 minutes
Effect: Summon Death
Duration: 10 minutes

Using this ritual you summon Death. Death will answer any questions you have to the best of his ability. Death is who makes sure everyone dies, and can slay gods or the world. This spell is usually used in times of great need.
If spell is Cast backwards you are teleported to deaths realm.
Componets:
Material: either
a) a ceremonial octogram, rams' skulls, and dribbly candles
b) three small bits of wood and 2cc of mouse blood, or
c) two small bits of wood and a fresh egg.
Group: This can be done with either eight eighth-level wizards (a), or one person (b, c).
XP: 100 xp for each wizard or 500 XP

probably needs to be fixed a bit but come on.

Jarl
2006-03-21, 12:48 AM
Make it reversable.

-It took me forever to understand why it was significant that Albert tried to perform it backwards.

Rei_Jin
2006-03-21, 01:11 AM
I'd probably give it an Experience cost, calling him is supposed to be costly.

Gralamin
2006-03-21, 01:31 AM
changes made

Dragonmuncher
2006-03-21, 01:37 AM
Feel the Streets

Prerequisites: Wis 11, Knowledge (local) 10

You know the streets of your city like the back of your hand... through the soles of your feet.

Whenever on the streets of a city that your Knowledge (local) ranks apply to, you automatically know exactly (within 15 feet) where you are in the city. This ability does not function while wearing anything with soles thicker than those of plain, ordinary boots (i.e. no masterwork boots, no armored boots, no magical boots. Slippers are fine, but may not be magical.)

This ability is extraordinary (that's the one where it's not surpressed by antimagic, right? It's not magic, it's just having a good memory)

Dhavaer
2006-03-21, 03:22 AM
Lipwigzer Highborn [Regional]

Prerequisites: Cha 11, Lipwigzer region

You gain +6 to Handle Animal checks to command Lipwigzer breed dogs. You gain a +2 bonus to dogs with some Lipwigzer pedigree.

[Can anyone tell me what the country Moist comes from is actually called? I can't remember.]

St._jimmy
2006-03-21, 04:40 AM
I don't think they ever say. Most likely Uberwald, Borogravia or somewhere near there if he's a von.
My own feat contribution:

Repress Bloodlust
Req: Vampire, Will save +5

Often combined with membership in the Black Ribboners, the vampiric league of abstenance, a particularly strong-willed vampire can shift their bloodlust to another focus. The vampire still needs blood for sustenance, but is content with black pudding and rare steak, never touching human blood.
All the energy that a vampire would previously devote to finding blood, luring travelers into the castle, finding young women in their underwear to drain etc. is now devoted to a new passion. Discworld examples include iconography, coffee and a career. Should the vampire ever be without this new desire, he must make a will save, DC 15+1 for each day missed, or revert to a bloodthirsty monster until one of their desires is sated.

Dhavaer
2006-03-21, 04:41 AM
I'm pretty sure they do say. It was somewhere in Uberwald.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-03-21, 06:25 AM
In the original splatbook thread:

How about a Evangelism domain for Om?

Well, I'll be happy to cook something up:

Evangelism Domain

Granted Power: You can use calm emotions once per day as a spell like ability. Treat your caster level for this ability as equal to your cleric level (minimum 3).

Add Bluff to your list of cleric class skills.

Evangelism Domain Spells:
1. Charm Person
2. Eagle's Splendor
3. Glibness
4. Charm Monster
5. Mind Fog
6. Suggestion, Mass
7. Hold Person, Mass
8. Charm Monster, Mass
9. Hold Monster, Mass

Comments, anyone?

(Fixed that, Dhavaer. ;D)

Dhavaer
2006-03-21, 06:31 AM
Looks good. Calm Emotions probably isn't so powerful 1/day would be unbalancing. You sohlud probably list the save DC, though.

Leon
2006-03-21, 07:10 AM
Siege Bow Proficiency

Prerequisites: Large size, Str 24

Benefit: Make attack rolls with the Ballista as a normal weapon, treat as a Heavy crossbow in regards to feats

Normal: the ballista is normally a fixed location siege weapon

Note: A fighter can take this as a Bonus feat

As to ammo - i was going to put in Piecemaker ammo but hadent thought it through fully yet, also initialy he used normal bolts ("we never know where those end up")

Single Shot Zombie
2006-03-21, 09:37 AM
And just because I'm bored:

Hand Domain ;D

Granted Power: You can perform one of the following class skills at a range of 30 feet: Disable Device, Open Lock, or Sleight of Hand. Working at a distance increases the normal skill check DC by 5, and you cannot take 10 on this check. Any object to be manipulated must weigh 5 pounds or less. This is similar to the arcane trickster's ranged legerdemain ability, and is usable once per day.

Add mage hand to your class spell list.

Add Sleight of Hand to your list of cleric class skills.

Hand Domain Spells:
1. Floating Disk
2. Spectral Hand
3. Helping Hand
4. Black Tentacles
5. Interposing Hand
6. Forceful Hand
7. Grasping Hand
8. Clenched Fist
9. Crushing Hand

Leperflesh
2006-03-21, 06:28 PM
Siege Bow Proficiency

Prerequisites: Large size, Str 18

Benefit: Make attack rolls with the Ballista as a normal weapon, treat as a Heavy crossbow in regards to feats

Normal: the ballista is normally a fixed location siege weapon

Note: A fighter can take this as a Bonus feat

I think the strength requirement should be higher. Detritus probably has a STR score of at least 24 or so. Obviously the siege weapon needs to be modified as well - Detritus' shoots so hard that the ballista shatters into hundreds of shards and splinters of wood, which effectively work like a super-shotgun.

-Lep

Dhavaer
2006-03-21, 06:36 PM
I think that would probably be an ammuntion effect, rather than a weapon one.

Jarl
2006-03-21, 08:50 PM
He uses bundles of crossbow bolts, as I remember.

-Kills people but leaves houses standing. Barely.

Hoseki
2006-03-21, 10:33 PM
Pune or Play on Words [General]

Prerequisites: Wis 13

When a character selects this feat they may choose to make a pune or play on words any time afterwards. To make a pune, the character must wait for an Opportunity. (Most DMs will make it clear when an Opportunity is present.) Opportunities are times when other people theve themselves metaphorically 'wide open' by phrasing a statement a certain way. To take advantage of the Opportunity the character must respond to the other person's statement in a paticular way. (examples are given below)

NPC: That, <Character's name>, is a harp.
Character: Lyre.

The person then must make a comment regarding the fact that the character is making a pune.

NPC: No that's the honest truth- oh. You were making a pune or play on words. I bet you've been waiting your whole life for someone to say 'that's a harp' so you could reply 'lyre'...

Normal: You may not make punes.

Leon
2006-03-22, 04:15 AM
Edited, will think about ammo later and post it

also on looking at it again, Str 18 was to low

Rei_Jin
2006-03-23, 02:51 AM
Bump: Come on guys, let's get some more stuff going in this thread!

Ladoran
2006-03-23, 07:31 AM
Hmm I'm presently rereading Interesting Times and thought that the barbarians should get a feat (or that this feat should exist).

Now bear with me, I haven't really tried this before :)

Not There

Prerequisites: BAB +15, Venerable

Through many years of fighting everything you could you have learned to simply not be where the next strike falls. This feat grants you a +4 dodge bonus whenever you are wearing no, light, or medium armor.

So, is this useful? Balanced? Thorough enough?

Dhavaer
2006-03-23, 07:48 AM
Make the prereq Venerable. It works out to a total +1 to AC. You could make it only against melee, which would make it consistant with Defensive Martial Arts from Modern.

Ladoran
2006-03-23, 08:11 AM
I kind of wan't to keep this against ranged as the Silver Horde uses it to dodge ranged at the very end (see nearly no spoilers :)). But Old changed to Venerable

Dhavaer
2006-03-23, 08:38 AM
I think the huge BAB prereq makes up for that. It looks good.

EvilDave
2006-03-23, 12:43 PM
I don't have the books with me else I'd come up with a nice fleshed-out example of this, but someone should put together Knowledge (L-space) ;)

Sounds good to me
Prereq: Bluff 8 ranks

If you've had access to written material on a specific subject within the past 24 hours, you can substitute a Bluff check for any Knowledge check on that subject made to convince someone else you know what you're talking about. You get a +4 circumstance bonus to this check.

No time for smooth talking
Prereq: Dex 14

If you're in the room of an inn (or other establishment of that nature) and someone knocks on the door/breaks down the door/makes some noise from the other side of the door you may make a Reflex save DC of what the Listen check to hear the noise would be. If you make the save, you are out the window.

Special: The room in question must, in fact, have a window. Use of this ability can be made while sleeping at no penalty (assuming natural sleep).

Leon
2006-03-28, 02:25 AM
Knowledge - Confectionery Architecture (Int, trained only)

You know the ins and outs of this rarely used building style

You can answer questions realvent to the field of study - DC 10, 15, 20 or 30 pending the difficulty

Synergy

5 or more ranks gives a +2 bonus to Profession (Cooking)

5 or more ranks gives a +2 bonus to Craft (Sweets)

Leon
2006-03-28, 02:33 AM
Peicemaker Bolts

Prequisite: Proficancy with Siege Bow

When fired this bundle of bolts explodes into a blast of flame that extends out into a 30ft cone, dealing 6d6 fire damage to anyone or thing that is in the cone.
Reflex save (dc 15) for half damage

Jarl
2006-07-28, 10:59 PM
The Book of Laws

Heavy Blunt Thrown Weapon.

Weight: 5 pounds

Cost: 15 gold

Damage: 1d6 against small creatures, 1d4 against large creatures.

Ranges: Short, 10; Medium, 20; Long, 30.

Rate of Fire: 1

Notes: The Book of Laws contains all the legal information relevant to the city in which it was written. A careful observer may note that a character of Lawful alignment becomes Lawful Neutral after constant use, though this is not at all a magical or otherwise extraordinary ability.

-... Yeah, yeah, I know it says "D20", but forgive me. I was inspired.

beholder
2006-07-29, 02:57 PM
Your worst
Enchantment
level:Witch 7/headology 7
components:none
casting time:1 standard action
range:close(25ft+5ft/3 levels)
target: one creature of any description, must have eyes.
saving throw:will negates
spell resistance:No

you catch the targets eye, and stare deep into their soul, tearing down the very comforting walls they have created around their character.this works against good characters as well as evil, simply because everyone has done things they are ashamed of.
Save DC will save halves the time

will save dc's
chaotic good:20+1 per 3 levels of caster
neutral good:20+1 per 2 levels of caster
lawful good:22+1 per 2 levels of caster
chaotic neutral:23+1 per 3 levels of caster
Neutral:23+1 per 2 levels of caster
Lawful neutral:25+1 per 2 levels of caster
chaotic evil:25+per level of caster
neutral evil:25+per level of caster
lawful evil:30+1 per level of caster

sucessful will save means the chracter is helpless( stands there gibbering can take no action, treat as helpless) for 5 rounds+1 per 3 caster levels.if they fail then it lasts 10+1 per 2 caster levels rounds
Edit:from wyrd sisters
also, why does albert want to say the rite backwards, (soory i guess i'm slow witted)
permission to post a witch base class?

Jarl
2006-07-29, 11:43 PM
why does albert want to say the rite backwards, (soory i guess i'm slow witted)
Don't worry, the reference to the Backwards Rite is buried in only one book, I believe, and is completely vague until you really pay attention.
Performing the Rite normally summons Death to You. Performing the Rite backwards summons You to Death.
Albert thought that by performing the Rite backwards, he would actually banish Death from him, thus becoming immortal.
Pretty brilliant reasoning, if you ask me.

-It was that darn Uncertainty Principle that got him: The outcome of a given spell is indeterminable until there's nothing you can do about it. What with dice rolls, that's pretty accurate.

MagFlare
2006-07-30, 06:53 AM
Shouting at Foreigners
Prereq: Wis 13
Benefit: You can speak with any language-using creature even if you do not have a shared language. This form of conversation involves a combination of shouting and arm gestures, and therefore cannot be used in written communication. It is also very imprecise; it takes a full round to communicate a major point (ranging from "this man is attacking me" to "I want a banananana daiquiri") and all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks made while Shouting at Foreigners suffer a -4 penalty.
Normal: You cannot speak with a language-using creature unless you have a shared language.

Needless to say, Nanny Ogg's got this one.

MagFlare
2006-07-30, 07:35 AM
Elves

"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror." - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -4 Wis
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Base Land Speed: 30 ft.
Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Magnetic Sense: An elf can detect minor fluctuations in the Disc's magnetic field, effectively giving it blindsense out to 30 ft. This ability (as well as the elf's natural Dex bonus) is negated if the elf is touching anything made of iron or steel.
Iron Vulnerability: An elf will never willingly touch an object made of iron or steel. If it does (whether grappled by an iron golem or merely struck by a steel sword) it must make a DC 15 Will save or be sickened for one round.
Spell-Like Abilities: at will - charm person. (as cast by a 1st level sorcerer; any subject who knows the true nature of elves gets a +5 circumstance bonus to resist the effect) 1/day: fly. (requires that the elf has a freshly-picked yarrow stalk)
Automatic Languages: Common and Elven.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass elf’s rogue class does not count when determining whether it takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Level Adjustment: +3

(On further reflection, it's possible that the Discworld's elves have too strange a combination of strengths and weaknesses to make them an effective character class. If anyone wants to create a MM-style entry for them, that'd be awesome.)

beholder
2006-07-30, 01:45 PM
Troll
Size category:Large
Str:+10,Con+4, Int: -8,

Sillicon brains:Trolls lose one point of Intelligence for every 5 degrees(centigrade) the temperature is over 25, and gain one point of int every 5 degrees under 25.

Stony Skin: trolls have DR/10 admantine

dunno about anything else, let me know.
also diamond troll coming up

Jarl
2006-07-30, 08:30 PM
Inspiration Particle

At any point, the DM may directly adress a character and influence his or her actions. The character must make a Will Save or recieve this advice.

-I don't know. Stories would probably be outsiders like this.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-31, 05:02 AM
We need stats for all 3 stages of the Mall lifeform.

Emperor Demonking
2006-08-01, 10:14 AM
Knowledge - Guilds (Int, trained only)

You know the ins and outs of the guilds of ankh morpork.

You can answer questions realvent to the field of study - DC 10, 15, 20 or 30 pending the difficulty

Synergy

5 or more ranks gives a +2 bonus to Knowledge local (Ankh morpok.)