PDA

View Full Version : "The Dipper", A silly PrC for snarky DMs

adriankas
2006-07-31, 07:20 AM
When an adventurer feels like mastering a specific skill or ability, they may sometimes request specific training from those of other professions, even if they must join their organization in some way. This resulted in many noble heros across the lands that are inexplicably card carrying members of hundreds of witch covens, druid circles, assassins guilds, knight orders and monastic disciplines. The Gods, being fed up of having their champions being hybrid freaks, thus created a divine order of celestial servants, named the "Minus Maxus Munchkinus", blessed with the knowledge of every fighting style, arcane metamagic and prestigious ability in the lands. They were given a mission to smite any being that attempted to cherry pick the best abilities from various organizations.

The MMM carried their duties with lethal efficiency, but soon, with all the death in their hands, began feeling sorry for all the mortals who only wanted to become rangers so they could use two swords, or become barbarians so they could run faster. They figured that these heroes only wished to become more powerful to combat evil. And so, with sympathy in their hearts, they began teaching mortals their skills, as long as those who submit to them are willing to follow the laws of the fed up Gods. And so, the Dippers were born.

The Dipper- a single level prestige class.

These are warriors who have submitted themselves to the MMM, so as to learn one single specific skill.

Base Attack Bonus: +1
Saves: All Good
Prerequisites: Must have more than one level in any class or prestige class they have taken, and must submit themselves to one of the Minus Maxus Munchkinus, who will probably send them on a ridiculously perilous quest.
Class Skills: All

Level: BAB: Ref: Fort: Will: Special abilities
1: +1 : +1 : +1 : +1 : Ability

Ability (Ex): The Dipper may pick one ability from any class or prestige class.

Fallen Dippers: If a Dipper reaches level 20 and has less than 5 levels in any class or prestige class (excluding actual levels of Dipper) he loses all abilities gained from levels of Dipper. Furthermore, they incur the wrath of the MMM, which means they should plan on rerolling in the near future.

Dudukain
2006-07-31, 11:14 AM
...WHAT?

I assume this class isn't meant to be balanced.

NullAshton
2006-07-31, 11:36 AM
So... I take just one level of this at third level, then I can apply for example the halfdragon template? With no level adjustment?

Sweet.

Dudukain
2006-07-31, 12:47 PM
So... I take just one level of this at third level, then I can apply for example the halfdragon template? With no level adjustment?

Sweet.

Why wait for 3rd level?

I was personally leaning towards becoming a lich. or maybe gaining wings. or deathless frenzy. or other such ability.

Squangos
2006-07-31, 01:27 PM
You forget: Epic prestige classes are still prestige classes. Get Cosmic Connection from the Comsic Descryer prestige class.

Cosmic Connection (Su): At 7th level, the cosmic descryer may join with the massive energy of the multiverse once per day, plus one additional time per day every five levels thereafter. The cosmic descryer can remain connected for a number of minutes equal to his or her class level. While connected, the character is immune to critical hits, is a native on any plane he or she visits, and can use dimension door at will as a 20th-level caster. The cosmic descryer can draw off excess energy from the multiverse itself to increase his or her effective caster level or enhance any attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check. Drawing off excess energy from the multiverse is dangerous, and it deals the cosmic descryer 5 points of damage for each +1 bonus applied to a single roll or +1 caster level on a single spell.

I know the DM can make the "ridiculously perilous quest" as tough as they like, but the fact still stands that you can get the above ability 26 levels early.

Fizban
2006-08-01, 05:20 AM
Joke or not, I think this would be an ok idea, if you could only get an ability from the first or second level of a base class, or a prestige class you could concievably qualify for at your level (and it could not be an ability that is based on levels of that class, like death attack? well, you get what I mean I hope).

adriankas
2006-08-01, 05:56 AM
This prestige class was never meant for play. Any campaign where there are fighter/mage/thief/dippers would have descended into pure silliness.

I find it funny that everyone's first reaction to this obviously satirical class is to try to find ways to abuse or break it: when clearly the PrC was written to mock that exact same munchkin mentality.

NullAshton
2006-08-01, 09:10 AM
Just going with the flow here. Of course I have to try and break it, it's a munchkin class after all.