PDA

View Full Version : Spawn of Tiamat (3.5)

evil-frosty
2009-05-24, 11:28 AM
I am going to be running a campaign for me dad and uncle. And i was looking thru some books hoping for an idea to strike me. I read the entry on dragonspawn and thought this would be great, a dragon themed campaign without every other monster being an actual dragon.

Now i just need to know how to really use them to their potential, to make memorable battles and make the party think outside of the box.

So any ideas? Also if you have any ideas on how to incorporate all of the different spawn that would be great.

Gorbash
2009-05-24, 11:45 AM
4 words - Red Hand of Doom.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-24, 12:34 PM
+1, +1, +1, +1

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-24, 02:34 PM
The Dragonspawn make excellent encounters, provided you mix things up. In fact, most of the MM4 and 5 are very balanced against what most classes are capable of. The Devs took a lot of what CO is capable of into account with those two books.

AslanCross
2009-05-24, 05:52 PM
4 words - Red Hand of Doom.

+1. It's a good, challenging adventure, and its level spectrum is broad enough to incorporate pretty much any of the spawn of Tiamat.

I've also done some pretty funky things with some of them in the past:

1. Greenspawn sneaks make great rogues due to their innate sneak attack. Giving them extra rogue levels makes them terrifying snipers. Throw in a great crossbow.

2. A bunch of dragonspawn (Blackspawn raiders) in an unlit room.

3. The biggest encounter I had with spawn of Tiamat was two Bluespawn Burrowers and a single Godslayer. The burrowers dragged the PC cleric underground while the Godslayer sent the paladin (who took extra damage due to being an Aasimar) flying.

4. One encounter I had planned involved a very large, wide spiral staircase, partially flooded at the bottom, with razorfiends guarding their "mother"---a redspawn birther (Dragons of Faerun) who nested higher up on the staircase.