PDA

View Full Version : The Dungeon

Pages : [1] 2

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-24, 01:55 PM
This is not a Werewolf Game.

This is something different altogether.

In order to test the general intelligence and, more specifically, resourcefulness of the gamers on this board, I've decided to start a small campaign. Quite simple, quite rules light.

This (quite possibly rather brief) game will focus on a couple of adventurers heading down a particularly nasty dungeon with nothing to aid them but their skills and what equipment they've been able to scrape together from previous adventures. Okay, so that's not too bad, but you, the player, only have your mind as a resource, and that might be worse news.

The dungeon will be divided in rooms, and each room will feature quite possibly lethal situations. The game will be divided in rounds, during each of which the players get to respond to the new room with their character's actions. The last room will feature the legendary treasure the dungeon is rumoured to guard, and is obviously the goal of each and every character. Get the loot, and you win the game. Of course, if all of the other characters happen to die along the way and you get all of the loot to yourself, this would be much more of a victory then having to split it.

In order to prepare for the game, a player would simply have to pick a class from the list below and then choose the character's equipment. Each piece of equipment has a cost in points, with the maximum amount of points you're allowed to use being 100. You are allowed to purchase equipment off any other class' equipment list, but at double the cost.

Classes:

Thief:
Skills:
Sneaking (requires sufficient darkness and/or cover)
Lockpicking (requires some sort of lockpick, and obviously a lock)
Pickpocketing (has a 50% chance of success, can be performed on any nearby character by PMing the GM. Upon failure the item remains with the victim and the victim notices your attempt to steal, upon success you steal the item and the victim doesn't notice until he next uses it)
Archery

Available equipment:
10-Lockpick
10-Dagger (for cutting throats and purses)
5-Coil of rope
5-Grapnelhook
5-Ten foot pole
10-Bag of Holding
10-Nightvision Goggles
10-Heatvision Goggles
20-Cloak of Invisibility (depleted after one round)
20-Cloak of Gliding (to glide down from heights)
10-Smokebomb (A glass vial with a substance that will quickly turn into a cloud of smoke upon contact with air)
5-Vial of Poison
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flask of Lamp Oil
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
50-One item of choice, to be approved by the GM
10-Backpack
20-Light Armour
5-All Black Clothes

Ranger:
Skills:

Focus (Rangers may spot things other classes would miss)
Tracking
Knowledge of Plants and Animals
Control Animal (controls one animal of choice as long as the flute is being played. A new target may be chosen, but control of the previous animal will be lost. Humanoids do not count as animals)
Archery

Available equipment:
10-Bow
10-Quiver with arrows
20-Sword
20-Spear
10-Dagger (for carving woodsculptures, or maybe cutting throats)
5-Flute
5-Coil of Rope
10-Vial of Healing Potion (heals character completely)
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flask of Lamp Oil
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
10-Backpack
20-Light Armour
5-All Green Clothes

Wizard:
Mana: 10
Skills:

Knowledge of Plants
Can use Spellscrolls (small note here: a scroll can only be used once. If you want to cast a spell twice, you'll have to purchase the scroll twice)

Available equipment:
5-Walking stick
5-Ridiculous pointy hat (with storage compartment in the top)
3-Scroll of Flare
6-Scroll of Fireball
5-Scroll of Healing (heals character completely)
4-Scroll of Necromancy (brings one creature back from the dead)
6-Scroll of Levitation (levitate one round)
2-Scroll of Frost (freezes a small body of water)
5-Scroll of Summon Flesh-Eating Beetles
2-Scroll of Detect Magic
2-Scroll of Mage Hand
2-Scroll of Growth (makes one plant grow explosively)
10-Vial of Mana Potion (replenishes all mana)
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flask of Lamp Oil
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
10-Backpack
5-Sparkly, Gaudy Clothes

Cleric:
Mana: 8
Skills:

Can use Holy Symbols (Symbols can be used indefinitely, but the bearer has to abide their deities' rules, or else... Also, when not held by anyone the symbols simply vanish in a flash of light)

Available equipment:
10-Hammer of Smiting (Okay, so it's just a hammer with a fancy name...)
20-Symbol of Helios (Allows Flare, Fireball, Healing. Restricts Swearing, Killing. Obliges helping those in need)
20-Symbol of Gaia (Allows Healing. Obliges Humility)
20-Symbol of Divinos (Allows Smite Undead, Water to Wine and Healing. Restricts Swearing, Killing, Eating Meat. Obliges destroying the undead)
20-Symbol of The Dark One (Allows Necromancy, Summon Flesh-Eating Beetles, Frost. Restricts worshipping Divinos. Obliges showing no mercy)
20-Symbol of The Silly One (Allows Flare, Summon Loud Noise, Alcohol to Water, Turn to Chicken, Summon Party Hats. Obliges telling a joke loudly every round (preferably with some funny voices))
20-Symbol of Diogenes (Allows Healing, Levitation, Smite Undead, Flare. Restricts any possession, beyond clothes and symbols. Obliges Humility)
20-Symbol of The Boar (Allows Control Animal (no flute required), Summon Boar Steed (lasts one round), knowledge of animals. Restricts Eating Meat, Killing Animals. Obliges helping good-aligned animals in need)
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flask of Lamp Oil
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
10-Backpack
20-Light Armour
5-Splendid Priestly Robes

Dwarven Miner:
Skills:

Nightvision
Knowledge of Masonry and Forging
Stomach of Steel (can't be poisoned or over-eat or over-drink)
Strength

Available equipment:
10-Pickaxe
10-Axe
10-Hammer of Smashing (less fancy, quite as effective)
10-Tower Shield
10-Dwarven Toolbelt (contains nails, chisel, wrench, screwdriver, metal marbles as bullets for the blunderbuss, candles, tobacco)
5-Supply of Lumber
5-Blunderbuss (No specific skill needed, 25% chance of exploding)
5-Barrel of Gunpowder
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flask of Dwarven Ale
5-Flask of Lamp Oil
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
10-Backpack
20-Heavy Armour
5-Dwarven Ethnic Clothes

Jester:
Skills:

Ventriloquism
Tightrope walking
Juggling
Firebreathing (if the proper tools are provided)
Control Animal (controls one animal of choice as long as the flute is being played. A new target may be chosen, but control of the previous animal will be lost. Humanoids do not count as animals)
Cooking
Escape Artist (no cage or rope can hold the jester! Great, give the enemy some more reasons to kill him)
Hypnosis (doesn't work on player characters, the target has to stay still for a while as he's awake and it can only have one target)
Archery

Available equipment:
2-Pig's Bladder onna Stick
10-Dagger (for throwing purposes)
5-Fake Dagger (the kind that allows the blade to slide back into the hilt)
3-Ridiculous pointy hat (with storage compartment in the top)
3-Coil of colourful handkerchiefs tied together
5-Flute
3-Sewing Gear
3-Rat inna Box
5-Bag o' Tricks (some dead mice, colourful feathers, pieces of string, a rag or two, some party horns, confetti, fake money, a buzzer with one charge, thumbtacks)
5-Fake Shark Fin + Snorkel
5-Hilarious Fake Nose + Tube of Glue
5-Fake Hump with hidden storage compartment
5-Juggling Pins
3-Jack-In-The-Box
5-Musicbox
10-Fake Flower with hidden water squirter
5-Clockwork Gnome (wind to have the gnome march forward, swinging his adorable little fishingrod)
15-Snakebasket
20-Flying Carpet (flies for two rounds before it's depleted)
2-Firecracker
10-Smokebomb (A glass vial with a substance that will quickly turn into a cloud of smoke upon contact with air)
5-Stinkbomb (A glass vial with a substance that will quickly turn into a cloud of obnoxious smell upon contact with air)
5-Vial of Poison
8-Vial of Acid
3-Vial of Fake Blood
8-Vial of Healing Potion (heals character completely)
4-Supply of Beef Jerky
4-Flask of Water
4-Flask of Lamp Oil
4-Torch
4-Tinderbox
4-Pouch of coins
40-One item of choice, to be approved by the GM
10-Backpack
5-Colourful Clothes

If anyone spots anything that's unbalanced or simply seems off, feel free to PM me about it. Since this is a new game, some feedback is always welcome. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Players and their classes
Thieves:
Fleeing Coward ; Jontom Xire ; Murska ; Haruki-kun ; someonenonotyou ;
Rangers:
Dirk Kris ; Boo ; Istari ; Raiser Blade ; Mustiado ;
Wizards:
Dr. Bath ; Reinholdt ; Trixie ; Recaiden ;
Clerics:
evnafets ; Lamech ; Uncle Festy ;
Dwarven Miners:
Kyouhen ; Selrahc
Jesters:
billtodamax ; Elrond ; Vampiric ; GAThraawn ; InaVegt ;

Reinholdt
2009-05-25, 11:03 PM
Oh, I'm definitely playing this.

Could you explain mana a bit more for me though before I try to pick a class?

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-25, 11:10 PM
Just a post saying I want to play.
Thinking of which class to pick now.

edit: Going with thief.

Equipment:

10 - Lockpick
10 - Bag of holding
10 -Dagger
Will decide on rest depending what my marks fellow adventurers pick :smallbiggrin:

billtodamax
2009-05-25, 11:24 PM
In as Jester.
Equipment in spoiler below:

20-bow
20-quiver with arrows
5-flute
3*4-flask of lamp oil
4-torch
4-tinderbox
10-smokebomb
5-colourful clothes
10-backpack
10-Dagger

evnafets
2009-05-26, 12:10 AM
I can't resist it. I have to take a cleric with a Holy Symbol of the Silly One.

20-Symbol of The Silly One
20-Symbol of Diogenes
20-Symbol of The Boar
20-Symbol of The Dark One

I am the servant of the Dark Silly Boar of Diogenes!

In the spirit of humility, I will disgard those splendid priestly robes in favour of something much more plain
10 - All Green Clothes
10 - All Black Clothes

I can then mix and match the costumes as necessary.
Default probably being green bottom, black top.

Do we need to "buy" the clothes listed? Can we assume we have some plain clothes without having to buy the gaudy stuff? Its not like I want to go naked - even if it would make me more invisible.
Otherwise I could just take another holy symbol...

billtodamax
2009-05-26, 12:18 AM
I think using a scroll cost one mana, which would explain the relatively low starting mana.

Kyouhen
2009-05-26, 12:36 AM
I believe I'll be original and be the Dwarven Miner.

Equipment:

20 - Heavy Armour
5 - Blunderbuss
10 - Dwarven Toolbelt
5 - Barrel of Gunpowder
10 - Pickaxe
10 - Axe
10 - Hammer of Smashing
10 - Backpack
5 - Flask of Water
5 - Supply of Beef Jerky
10 - Vial of Healing Potion

Boo
2009-05-26, 12:39 AM
I'll try this out.

Ranger:
Equipment:
10(2)-Bow
10(2)-Quiver with arrows
20(1)-Spear
5(1)-Flute
5(1)-Coil of Rope
10(2)-Vial of Healing Potion
5(1)-Torch
5(1)-All Green Clothes

Total: 100

Question: Do I need a tinderbox to light the torch, or can I just swipe it across a wall? Or does it work like a flare? Sorry if this seems stupid, but every torch is different.

Reinholdt
2009-05-26, 12:42 AM
Awww... shoot. I just remembered I'm going to be gone soon for five days with no internets. I dont' want to stall the game up too much or anything like that. Guess I'll just have to pull out. :smallfrown:

Boo
2009-05-26, 12:54 AM
Too late... congratulations! It's a boy!

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 02:18 AM
Do we need to "buy" the clothes listed? Can we assume we have some plain clothes without having to buy the gaudy stuff? Its not like I want to go naked - even if it would make me more invisible.
Otherwise I could just take another holy symbol...
You start out with nothing at all, that even means no clothes.

Question: Do I need a tinderbox to light the torch, or can I just swipe it across a wall? Or does it work like a flare? Sorry if this seems stupid, but every torch is different.
All torches start out lit, but to relight it you'd have to have some way of making fire.

I think using a scroll cost one mana, which would explain the relatively low starting mana.
That is correct. Casting any of the Holy Symbol spells would also require one mana.

Awww... shoot. I just remembered I'm going to be gone soon for five days with no internets. I dont' want to stall the game up too much or anything like that. Guess I'll just have to pull out. :smallfrown:
Due to fairly high mortality rates in this game, I think I'll be taking a rather large amount of players, so recruitment should be up for a bit.

I've made some slight changes to the equipment lists which you might want to take into account. The most important added feature is that you can now propose an item for your inventory to be approved by the GM.

Also, anyone who manages to win this game playing a jester, bravo. That is the hardest character to play as, I think, but it's definitely possible.

billtodamax
2009-05-26, 02:30 AM
I'll take you up on your challenge. I really would like to keep the clockwork gonme, cause it seems really useful, but I need clothes. So I'm editing my list

Boo
2009-05-26, 02:30 AM
The Jester role seems heavily influenced by Shakespeare. I might try it instead of Ranger, since my current get-up feels too... sturdy.

billtodamax
2009-05-26, 02:35 AM
Theif seems to be the best role IMO. The ability to steal your opponents items, archery and stealth? That's crazy.

Murska
2009-05-26, 03:14 AM
I'll go for a Thief.

10 - Lockpick
20 - 2 Daggers (for cutting throats and purses)
5 - Coil of rope
5 - Grapnelhook
10 - Bag of Holding
10 - Heatvision Goggles
10 - Smokebomb (A glass vial with a substance that will quickly turn into a cloud of smoke upon contact with air)
10 - 2 Supplies of Beef Jerky
10 - 2 Flasks of Water
5 - All Black Clothes
5 - Vial of Poison

Elrond
2009-05-26, 03:47 AM
Um just checking but if we have no clothes we are invisible yes?:smallconfused::elan:

Anyway heres ma Character'

Brisingri: Jester
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh120/Elfunzo/Brisingri.gif
Skills:

Ventriloquism
Tightrope walking
Juggling
Firebreathing (if the proper tools are provided)
Cooking
Escape Artist (no cage or rope can hold the jester! Great, give the enemy some more reasons to kill him)
Hypnosis (doesn't work on player characters, the target has to stay still for a while as he's awake and it can only have one target)
Archery

Equipment:
5-(1)Juggling Pins
2-(5)Firecracker
10-(1)Smokebomb (A glass vial with a substance that will quickly turn into a cloud of smoke upon contact with air)
40-(1)Flamthrower (For making stuff crispy)
4-(1)Supply of Beef Jerky
4-(1)Flask of Water
4-(1)Torch
4-(1)Tinderbox
4-(1)Pouch of coins
10-(1)Backpack
5-(1)Colourful Clothes

Also may you have more than one of a single item?
And item of choice flamthrower?:smallbiggrin: can i please

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 03:58 AM
You've got too many items there, Elrond (or rather, for too much points).
Yes, you can have more than one of a certain item, if you pay the cost several times.
Yes, you could take a flamethrower.

Jontom Xire
2009-05-26, 04:02 AM
In if you've got room.

If you have room, let me know and i'll take the time to make up a character.

Elrond
2009-05-26, 04:03 AM
Yes i didn't expect you to let me take the flamethrower:belkar:

And i know I was just checking if you replayed to the flamethrower before I chose everything

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 04:06 AM
In if you've got room.

If you have room, let me know and i'll take the time to make up a character.
Due to high mortality rates in this game, I have plenty of room. The more the merrier.

Elrond
2009-05-26, 04:24 AM
I was wondering could we get a trophy if we complete the dungeon?:smallsmile:

Jontom Xire
2009-05-26, 04:35 AM
Theif seems to be the best role IMO. The ability to steal your opponents items, archery and stealth? That's crazy.

How come the thief has the archery skill but no bow option under equipment.

Using bows is more rangery - maybe you ought to swap the bow skill for daggers (melee and thrown) skill?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 04:39 AM

Using bows is more rangery - maybe you ought to swap the bow skill for daggers (melee and thrown) skill?
A reasonable suggestion, but this was done on purpose for various reasons, most having to do with balance. If the jester or the thief want a bow, they'll probably have to buy it at double the cost. Also, anyone has skill with a dagger, but throwing it falls under the archery skill.

I was wondering could we get a trophy if we complete the dungeon?:smallsmile:
That will probably be provided, yes.

Elrond
2009-05-26, 05:00 AM
Excellent Ok well my character is done and I can't wait to start

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 05:15 AM

Why would a thief need a bow? I fully intend to steal Murska's after he steals it from billtodamax :smallbiggrin:

Also, are you permitted to trade items with another player after the game starts?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 05:22 AM
Also, are you permitted to trade items with another player after the game starts?
Absolutely, if both players agree I don't see why not.

billtodamax
2009-05-26, 05:29 AM
I kinda need that bow. Ya know, for living.

Selrahc
2009-05-26, 05:31 AM
Would Discworld's Luggage be permissible as a custom item?

billtodamax
2009-05-26, 05:34 AM
if you want -5 points at the start of the game, then sure.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 05:46 AM
Would Discworld's Luggage be permissible as a custom item?
A walking bag of holding that's virtually indestructible, always yields the right items when asked, and can send extremely dangerous foes running by itself? I like the luggage a lot, but it seems it would be slightly overpowered for this game.

Selrahc
2009-05-26, 05:48 AM
Yeah... I was expecting that. Anyway, I'll join up as a dwarven miner, but that means I'm still trying to figure out an item list,

Murska
2009-05-26, 06:39 AM
I kinda need that bow. Ya know, for living.

Aaaaand? :smallwink:

EDIT: What exactly does the cloak of invisibility do? Make you invisible for a single round, after which it's just a normal cloak?

Also, do we all start at the same place?

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 07:02 AM
I luurve sparkly clothes. The fact that they're guady is a bonus.

Wizard!
Scroll of Fireball (4)
Scroll of Healing (heals character completely) (2)
6-Scroll of Levitation (levitate one round) (1)
Scroll of Frost (freezes a small body of water) (4)
Scroll of Detect Magic (1)
Scroll of Mage Hand (5 4)
Vial of Mana Potion (replenishes all mana) (1)
Flask of Water (1)
Flask of Lamp Oil (1)
Tinderbox (1)
Backpack (1)
Sparkly, Gaudy Clothes (1)

Trixie
2009-05-26, 07:03 AM
Can that custom item be a MitD*?

*Okay, not a full-powered MitD, but something charmed to eat Murska if he ever steals from me :smalltongue:

Murska
2009-05-26, 07:12 AM
Hey, pickpocketing only works for actually stealing something from people's pockets or similar, right? So you can't, say, have a 50% chance of stealing a sword off of someone's hand or such.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 07:18 AM

You best stay away from me!

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 07:59 AM
We're thieves. We should be permitted to steal anything that isn't bolted down and on fire :smallbiggrin:

Lamech
2009-05-26, 08:02 AM
I'll play a Cleric

Equitment:
Symbol of Gaia (20)
Symbol of the Dark One (20)
Two potions of mana (20)
Water flask (5)
Tinder Box (5)
Torch (5)
Coin pouch (5)
Back back (10)
Priest clothes (5)
All black clothes (10) the dressy kind, not going with priests robes in a dungeon.
Supply of beef jerky (5)
Hey I'm going to suggest Wizard's grab scrolls fo necromancy, in case team mates die. Then they can work together, with a high degree of effectiveness. Also I think we can say all thieves should be killed on sight.:smalltongue: Kidding, kidding.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 08:07 AM
We're thieves. We should be permitted to steal anything that isn't bolted down and on fire :smallbiggrin:

What if you're on fire?

*starts striking matches*

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 08:08 AM
What if you're on fire?

*starts striking matches*

I simply steal the fire and give it to you of course.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 08:12 AM
You can't steal it, it's already yours. And a theif? Giving something away? Unthinkable.

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 08:34 AM
Of course I can steal from myself, in fact if I steal everything I own, I'd be twice as rich.
Also, it's not giving per se, it's more like a loan. You still have to pay me to use my fire.

Dirk Kris
2009-05-26, 08:49 AM
I'll be in as a Ranger. Equipment list follows.

Garik Drakkan
Ranger:
Skills:

Focus (Rangers may spot things other classes would miss)
Tracking
Knowledge of Plants and Animals
Archery

Equipment:
10-Bow
10-Quiver with arrows
5-Coil of Rope
10-Supply of Beef Jerky (2)
10-Flask of Water (2)
10-Backpack
20-Light Armour
5-All Green Clothes

Assuming, of course, that there is still room and the game hasn't started yet.

Murska
2009-05-26, 08:54 AM
Hm. I just returned from the past. And guess what I... found, on the street? A contract that means I own YOU.

Didn't even guess my name, what a fool. :smallbiggrin:

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 09:21 AM
What exactly does the cloak of invisibility do? Make you invisible for a single round, after which it's just a normal cloak?

Also, do we all start at the same place?
You are correct about the cloak.
And yes, you all start in the same place (which is not even inside the dungeon yet).

Can that custom item be a MitD*?
I'm not even sure what the monster in the darkness is, so no. Besides, it's only established qualities so far are enormous strength and low intelligence, why would you want one of those without the enormous strength?

Hey, pickpocketing only works for actually stealing something from people's pockets or similar, right? So you can't, say, have a 50% chance of stealing a sword off of someone's hand or such.
A sheathed sword could be stolen, a held sword could not. Depending on the situation, I might assume someone sheathed their weapon, or I might not, if it's not specifically mentioned. If someone has just been swimming, for example, I'm going to assume it's sheathed. If someone has just been fighting, I might assume it's held. Players could always be specific about this if they don't want me making assumptions.

Assuming, of course, that there is still room and the game hasn't started yet.
There's still plenty of room, don't worry.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 09:25 AM
If, say, for example, a player, lets call them Fath, was to, perhaps accidentally turn another player into a charred corpse (lets call it Cleeing Boward), would one be able to loot the corpse of stuff?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 09:27 AM
If, say, for example, a player, lets call them Fath, was to, perhaps accidentally turn another player into a charred corpse (lets call it Cleeing Boward), would one be able to loot the corpse of stuff?
Killing other players is perfectly allowed, as well as looting what's left of their corpses, but one should remember that the more other players die, the less cannonfodder you'll have running around to set off traps and lure monsters away.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 09:31 AM
Killing other players is perfectly allowed, as well as looting what's left of their corpses, but one should remember that the more other players die, the less cannonfodder you'll have running around to set off traps and lure monsters away.

True true.

It was only hypothetical.

...cough.

Lamech
2009-05-26, 09:46 AM
Really because if I catch someone trying to steal my holy symbols... there may be a small army of undead after them. And flesh eating beetles. (Of course if they succeed at grabbing my dark one, I glare at them.)

Although I obviously prefer to work with people... see: equitment choices.

Dirk Kris
2009-05-26, 09:52 AM
Excellent - do we have a projected start date, or just when Mr. Nigma feels he has enough players?

Vampiric
2009-05-26, 10:09 AM
Here's my character...

Jester

Equipment

{table]10 | Dagger (for throwing purposes)
5 | Fake Dagger (the kind that allows the blade to slide back into the hilt)
5 | Flute
5 | Bag o' Tricks (some dead mice, colourful feathers, pieces of string, a rag or two, some party horns, confetti, fake money, a buzzer with one charge, thumbtacks)
3 | Jack-In-The-Box
5 | Clockwork Gnome (wind to have the gnome march forward, swinging his adorable little fishingrod)
15 | Snakebasket
2 | Firecracker
2 | Firecracker
5 | Stinkbomb (A glass vial with a substance that will quickly turn into a cloud of obnoxious smell upon contact with air)
8 | Vial of Acid
8 | Vial of Healing Potion (heals character completely)
4 | Torch
4 | Tinderbox
4 | Pouch of coins
10 | Backpack
5 | Colourful Clothes[/table]

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 10:25 AM
Excellent - do we have a projected start date, or just when Mr. Nigma feels he has enough players?
We'll start when Mr. Nigma feels he has enough players.

I've gone over the equipment lists and have come up with some small discrepancies.

billtodamax and evnafets are ten points short each, though that's probably a conscious choice for the latter.
Lamech is ten points over the limit due to noting the backpack as five points and noting two flasks of water as five points.
Fleeing Coward is seventy points short, but he was planning to fix that later, so that's normal.

Reinholdt
2009-05-26, 10:26 AM
Alright. Back in then. Equipment chosen.

Wizard
5-Walking stick
5-Ridiculous pointy hat
4-Scroll of Necromancy (x6 = 24)
5-Scroll of Summon Flesh-Eating Beetles (x3 = 15)
2-Scroll of Detect Magic
2-Scroll of Mage Hand
2-Scroll of Growth
10-Vial of Mana Potion
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Torch
5-Pouch of coins
10-Backpack
5-Sparkly, Gaudy Clothes
A bit more specialized than I planned, but I'm ok with that.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-26, 01:51 PM
In as a thief.

Items:

Lockpick
Dagger
Smokebomb
Nightvision goggles
Supply of Beef Jerky
Flask of water
Coil of rope
Grapnelhook
Bag of Holding
Light armor
Vial of poison
All black clothes

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-26, 01:57 PM
If I'm not mistaking that leaves you with another ten points, Haruki.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-26, 02:02 PM
Fixed now.

Istari
2009-05-26, 03:43 PM
Can I haz Ranger?

Skills:

* Focus (Rangers may spot things other classes would miss)
* Tracking
* Knowledge of Plants and Animals
* Control Animal (controls one animal of choice as long as the flute is being played. A new target may be chosen, but control of the previous animal will be lost. Humanoids do not count as animals)
* Archery

Equipment:
10-Bow
10-Quiver with arrows
20-Sword
5-Flute
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
20-Light Armour
5-All Green Clothes

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 10:48 PM
Suppose that a certain Cleeing Boward were to attempt to kill Fath at the same time as Fath trying to kill him, how would who dies be determined?

Raiser Blade
2009-05-27, 02:21 AM
Ranger

Skills:

* Tracking
* Control Animal (controls one animal of choice as long as the flute is being played. A new target may be chosen, but control of the previous animal will be lost. Humanoids do not count as animals)
* Archery

Stuff that I choose to start with!
10-Bow
10-Quiver with arrows
10-Dagger
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flute
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
5-All Green Clothes
5-Coil of Rope
10-Backpack
(5x2)10-Vial of Poison
(5x2)10-Vial of Poison

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-27, 02:33 AM
Suppose that a certain Cleeing Boward were to attempt to kill Fath at the same time as Fath trying to kill him, how would who dies be determined?
The circumstances, I suppose, coupled with initiative and a degree of luck. I'm hoping for not too much straight PC on PC combat though. It seems to me any member of the group would be mad to just start attacking people. Towards the end of the game, if there's only two or three players left, such situations seem likelier, but that's about two combats in a whole game, maybe.

Jontom Xire
2009-05-27, 03:00 AM
Yeah, uhuh.

I can just see this game now, in my minds eye:

Narrator:

You are standing in a cave with a high ceiling. Ahead of you are four entrances to passageways. They look dark.

Player 1:

I attack player 2.

Player 2:

Huh? What? Why you little.... I cast flesh eating beetles scroll and order them to kill player 1.

Player 3:

We can't have players attacking other players! I attack player 1 because he's obviously a backstabbing git who's just going to attack everyone all game.

Player 4:

Player 1 has paid me glittery coins to attack player 3, so I do.

Player 5:

FIGHTY!!! Whoohooo!!! I attack (dice roll = 3) Player 3.

etc. etc. and the whole game turns into one mass brawl where everyone dies and we never get to explore the dungeon.

:smallbiggrin:

It's just sooo us!

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-27, 03:09 AM
Exactly. Tactically that's a terrible move. Even splitting the treasure between the entire group would be a better outcome than that.

GAThraawn
2009-05-27, 03:50 AM
Given the purported mortality rate, I might as well get in on this too, as a Jester if you please.

2-Pig's Bladder onna Stick
3-Ridiculous pointy hat (with storage compartment in the top)
3-Coil of colourful handkerchiefs tied together
5-Flute
3-Sewing Gear
3-Rat inna Box
5-Bag o' Tricks (some dead mice, colourful feathers, pieces of string, a rag or two, some party horns, confetti, fake money, a buzzer with one charge, thumbtacks)
5-Fake Shark Fin + Snorkel
5-Hilarious Fake Nose + Tube of Glue
5-Fake Hump with hidden storage compartment
5-Juggling Pins
3-Jack-In-The-Box
5-Musicbox
10-Fake Flower with hidden water squirter
4-(2)Firecracker
8-Vial of Acid
3-Vial of Fake Blood
8-Vial of Healing Potion (heals character completely)
10-Backpack
5-Colourful Clothes

Shadowcaller
2009-05-27, 03:50 AM
Exactly. Tactically that's a terrible move. Even splitting the treasure between the entire group would be a better outcome than that.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

:smallbiggrin:

billtodamax
2009-05-27, 04:43 AM
I want to work together! Also, can they pickpocket things out of my backpack? I'll go edit my list to use the extra 10 points.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-27, 07:11 AM
I want to work together! Also, can they pickpocket things out of my backpack?
Yes, they most definitely could.

billtodamax
2009-05-27, 07:15 AM
what about from the hump? the one with the secret compartment?

Selrahc
2009-05-27, 07:24 AM
Okay, the custom item is a portable cannon and a supply of ammo.

10 2 barrel's of gunpowder
10 Dwarven Toolbelt
20 Heavy Armour
5 Tinderbox
5 Dwarven Ale
50 Cannon

No food, but if it gets to the point where I'll be starving to death then I'll be pretty shocked.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-27, 07:52 AM
what about from the hump? the one with the secret compartment?
Well, a backpack is designed as a container to keep your stuff in, the hump is designed as container to hide something in. Logically the backpack couldn't hide stuff (and is thus pickpocketable) and the hump isn't designed to keep a lot of stuff (only one item may be stored in the hump, this goes for the wizard's hat too). The hump (and hat), however, would be unpickpocketable. As long as either is equipped, they're unstealable as well, but if you'd stuff your hump in your backpack with an item in it, and the hump would then get stolen, obviously you'd lose the item as well.

Kyouhen
2009-05-27, 09:42 AM
Would it be tactically wrong to kill a few players and steal their equipment so we start off with way more stuff and less people to disagree with us? work together in peace and harmony and bloodshed?

Trixie
2009-05-27, 10:29 AM
No blasters yet? :smallconfused:

Okay, here's Dubious McEvilwizarlington:

Wizard:

Skills:

Knowledge of Plants
Can use Spellscrolls (small note here: a scroll can only be used once. If you want to cast a spell twice, you'll have to purchase the scroll twice)

Equipment:
5 Ridiculous pointy hat (with storage compartment in the top)
6 Scroll of Fireball
5 Scroll of Healing (heals character completely) [in hat]
5 Scroll of Summon Flesh-Eating Beetles
2 Scroll of Detect Magic
2 Scroll of Mage Hand
20 Vial of Mana Potion (replenishes all mana) x2
50 One item of choice: WoD [always equipped]
5 Sparkly, Gaudy Clothes

Selrahc
2009-05-27, 10:32 AM
What is a WoD?

Dr. Bath
2009-05-27, 10:38 AM
Wand of DOOOOM! Nah I don't know.

You do look very dubious mind. Why would you buy two mana potions if you only have 5 spells? Hmm? Looks like you want to take mine or Rienholdt's scrolls.

Trixie
2009-05-27, 10:55 AM
What is a WoD?

A...

SUPRISE! :smallbiggrin:

Well, actually, something not-fully-confirmed for now, so I'll wait until I have permission before I'll write a full name :smalltongue:

@Dr. Bath - um, why? Can't we live in peace? :smalleek:

Actually, for someone so concerned you've got suspiciously good look into my inventory. Planning somethin'? :smallamused:

And no, I'm not planning on killing anyone just yet.

Kyouhen
2009-05-27, 11:02 AM
A...

SUPRISE! :smallbiggrin:

Well, actually, something not-fully-confirmed for now, so I'll wait until I have permission before I'll write a full name :smalltongue:

@Dr. Bath - um, why? Can't we live in peace? :smalleek:

Actually, for someone so concerned you've got suspiciously good look into my inventory. Planning somethin'? :smallamused:

And no, I'm not planning on killing anyone just yet.

Translation:

I'm going to team up with a thief and let them rob you blind, keeping any scrolls they happen to steal from you.

:smalltongue:

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-27, 11:53 AM
Well, actually, something not-fully-confirmed for now, so I'll wait until I have permission before I'll write a full name
It's fully confirmed. The object we're talking about is not a Weapon of (mass) Destruction, but a wand of disintegrate, with some home grown restrictions.

Mustiado
2009-05-27, 04:41 PM
In, as a ranger. Pardon my math and scratch work.

Ranger
Light Armor - 20
Bow + Arrows = 40
Spear = 60
Flute = 65
Jerky = 70
Water = 75
BackPack = 85
Rope = 90
Flask of Lamp Oil = 95
Tinderbox = 100

Raiser Blade
2009-05-27, 07:28 PM
Mamba the Ranger

Skills:

* Tracking
* Archery

Stuff that I choose to start with!
10-Bow
10-Quiver with arrows
10-Dagger
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Flute
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
5-All Green Clothes
5-Coil of Rope
10-Backpack
10-Bow
10-Quiver with arrows

I've edited my equipment list.

Uncle Festy
2009-05-27, 08:15 PM
In.
Adding character shortly.

Presenting:
Derrik, the Cleric of Silly Animals!
And yes, that means you can expect an Animaniacs/Bugs Bunny clip every round. >.>
Symbol of the Silly One
Symbol of the Boar
1x Healing Potion
2x Mana Potion
Bag of Tricks (at double price)
Fake Shark Fin + Snorkel (at double price)
Pouch of Coins
Splendid Silly Priestly Robes

WHEEEE! :smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2009-05-27, 09:28 PM
In as a wizard
Skills:

* Knowledge of Plants
* Can use Spellscrolls (small note here: a scroll can only be used once. If you want to cast a spell twice, you'll have to purchase the scroll twice)

Available equipment:

6-Scroll of Fireball
4-Scroll of Necromancy (brings one creature back from the dead)
2-Scroll of Frost (freezes a small body of water)
10-Scroll of Summon Flesh-Eating Beetlesx2
6-Scroll of Mage Handx3
2-Scroll of Growth (makes one plant grow explosively)
10-Backpack
10-Scroll of Healing (heals character completely) x2
5-Supply of Beef Jerky
5-Flask of Water
5-Torch
5-Tinderbox
5-Pouch of coins
5-Sparkly, Gaudy Clothes
5-Walking stick
5-Ridiculous pointy hat (with storage compartment in the top)

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-28, 02:34 AM
Bag of Tricks (at double price)
Fake Shark Fin + Snorkel (at double price)

I can't say I expected anyone to buy jester items at double the price :smalltongue:

Uncle Festy
2009-05-28, 06:22 AM
What can I say, I'm a priest of Silly Animals. :smallbiggrin:
And besides, I suspect those are the kind of things that will come in handy. :smallamused:

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-28, 07:49 AM
Final equipment list for my thief:

10 - Lockpick
10 - Bag of Holding
10 - Dagger
30 - 6 Vials of Poison
5 - Coil of Rope
5 - Grapnelhook
10 - Smokebomb
5 - All Black Clothes
5 - Ten foot pole
10 - Heatvision Goggles
Before anyone asks, I'm only buying so many vials of poison because I'm going to trade them for other stuff :smalltongue:

InaVegt
2009-05-28, 08:33 AM
I'll play a jester.

Item list:

{table]Item|Number|Price per item|Subtotal
Fake dagger|1|5|5
Vial of fake blood|10|3|35
Rat in a box|1|3|38
Firecracker|8|2|44
Vial of healing potion|2|8|70
Flute|1|5|75
Clockwork Gnome|2|5|85
Stinkbomb|1|5|90
Backpack|1|10|100[/table]

someonenonotyou
2009-05-28, 11:56 AM
Kian the Thief
10-Smokebomb
10-2xVial of Poison
10-Bag of Holding
10-Backpack
10- 2xTorch
20-Light Armour
10-Lockpick
10-Dagger
5-Coil of rope
5-Grapnelhook

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-28, 01:51 PM
Since I have got a fair amount of players, the game will now start. I've realised that some stages, or rooms, might take more than one reply to resolve, so I'm now working with the following system:

The game is divided in rooms, or stages (as they may not literally be rooms)
The time spent in each room is defined as a round. If you cast a levitation spell, for example, it won't stop working simply because you need to make another reply to the same room.
Each reply by the GM (that would be me) to actions players have made is known as a GMing. This term is inconsequential for game logic (there are no spells that have a GMing as their duration) but will matter in order to estimate how long a round will take in real time, as one round may contain several GMings.

For example, the players reach the next room. This room contains an ogre. The players decide to attack this monster during the first GMing, but it fights back during the second so they flee. They run into the next room, where they encounter a pit trap that kills them all. This example featured two rooms, so two rounds, but three GMings, two in the first room and one in the second.

Room 1: There is something fishy in the town of Yoggoth
You had all travelled miles to make it to the town of Yoggoth, only to make camp just down the road of the actual town to get some sleep before the big day. Your sleep was very troubled with haunting images of what was to come. You had all heard vicious rumours about the dungeon of Gorgorath. Gorgorath was rumoured to have been the biggest jerk in existence. He was a wizard who spent many years dungeondelving, much like you now, until he finally came upon the treasure of treasures with his party: the eyes of Helios. Two gigantic magical gems locked in the eyesockets of an enormous statue of Helios in the hidden city of the sun god. The party was planning to spend these gems rather wisely, but then it turned out what a jerk Gorgorath was. The bastard poisoned his entire party and made off with the two gems to the coast, to a little island. Gorgorath knew many adventurers would come after the eyes of Helios, but this was what he wanted. In all those years of dungeondelving he’d learnt that what he enjoyed most was not the treasure, but the screams of his companions dying. Gorgorath sold one of the gems and funded the building of his dungeon with the proceeds. Deep in this dungeon he hid the eye of Helios, guarded by most devious traps he could think of. This was five hundred years ago. To this day no-one had been able to acquire the second eye of Helios, but all that was about to change.

The next day you all continued to the town of Yoggoth, to be welcomed by a neatly painted sign.

Welcome to the town of Yoggoth!
Remember, we are the good guys!
If you slip up we’ll only maim you.

The town itself was more of a village, actually, or less than that even. The only building of any importance was the lighthouse, which stood atop the cliffs of Yoggoth. On top of the cliffs, on the beach below and surrounding the stairs down, were shacks built out of shipwrecks and wood of the surrounding forest. These shacks were inhabited by the fishermen who lived in Yoggoth. Their small, rickety boats lay anchored on the beach, by the fishmarket. The strangest thing about the town was probably the floating fish. That’s right, all over Yoggoth there were fish, lazily floating about through the air, and no-one seemed to pay them any attention. The fishermen just continued their work, and never once did any of them seem tempted to simply gut one of the flying fish instead of heading out to sea to catch the swimming kind.

From atop the cliffs you could see Gorgorath isle in the distance, just a vague shape in the mist. This was your goal. You’d need to find a way to get to the island.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boo, Istari, Trixie and Uncle Festy were having some trouble carrying their stuff without backpacks.
Selrahc on the other hand was having much more trouble, as he was trying to lug around two kegs of gunpowder without a backpack to put them in, and he didn't even have any pockets to put his tinderbox or flask of ale in as he'd decided to come to Yoggoth naked. As he stood at the border of the town he wondered how'd he'd even got there in the first place with all that heavy stuff and nothing to carry it in.
EDIT: Players and their classes are listed in the first post.

Kyouhen
2009-05-28, 02:02 PM
I'm obligated to ask: Who wants to be the first to attempt to pick Selrahc's pockets? :smallbiggrin:

Murska
2009-05-28, 02:08 PM
Murska walks to Boo, a nearby ranger, and asks for a trade. :smallsmile:

Dr. Bath
2009-05-28, 02:27 PM
BATH THE BEWILDERED goes to the LIGHTHOUSE to speak with the LIGHTHOUSE KEEPEER about any BOATS in the area willing to take paying passengers to the island.

Dirk Kris
2009-05-28, 02:28 PM
Garrik (aka Dirk) scans the horizon. He raises an eyebrow at the flying fish and attempts to swat one out of the air to examine it.

Istari
2009-05-28, 02:34 PM
I ask one of the fisherman about the flying fish
Also, if I find any of my stuff missing a thief will get a sword in them very soon :smallamused:

Selrahc
2009-05-28, 02:36 PM
Selrahc on the other hand was having much more trouble, as he was trying to lug around two kegs of gunpowder without a backpack to put them in, and he didn't even have any pockets to put his tinderbox or flask of ale in as he'd decided to come to Yoggoth naked. As he stood at the border of the town he wondered how'd he'd even got there in the first place with all that heavy stuff and nothing to carry it in.

I'm not wearing the armour?

My plan was that the toolbox has rope in it, so I could lash the cannon to my back, the gunpowder barrels to my sides, and store all the stuff in the barrel of the cannon.

Looking at the toolbox again I see that I must have hallucinated the rope. Oh dear.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-28, 02:36 PM
Haruki, the thief, politely asks a villager what the floating fish are, whether they're edible, and if so, why no one touches them.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-28, 02:59 PM
Garrik (aka Dirk) scans the horizon. He raises an eyebrow at the flying fish and attempts to swat one out of the air to examine it.
The fish stares at Garrik lazily and wriggles out of his hands to continue it's seemingly aimless trajectory.

I'm not wearing the armour?
The armour consists of some pads, boots, a chestplate and a helmet. It ups the armourclass, but it's not exactly decent, nor does it have any pockets.

Uncle Festy
2009-05-28, 03:03 PM
Boo, Istari, Trixie and Uncle Festy were having some trouble carrying their stuff without backpacks.

((… all my stuff?
You mean the BAG of tricks, the two holy symbols, three potions, the fin+snorkel, and the pouch of coins?
Can't I just stick that stuff in my pockets/tie it to my belt or something?
If I can't, I hadn't realized that, and may want to shuffle around my purchases/appeal to get a free backpack since I spent double price on Jester items. :smalltongue:))

Dr. Bath
2009-05-28, 03:04 PM
BATH THE BEWILDERED makes a PROCLAMATION:

The fishermen in the area are apparently willing to take our group to the island for a pouch of coins. I however lack a strong pecuniary position and so someone else needs to pay if we are to get across.

@^ Well since you have nowhere to put those coins... *nudge nudge*

Kyouhen
2009-05-28, 03:04 PM
((… all my stuff?
You mean the BAG of tricks, the two holy symbols, three potions, the fin+snorkel, and the pouch of coins?
If I can't, I hadn't realized that, and may want to shuffle around my purchases/appeal to get a free backpack since I spent double price on Jester items. :smalltongue:))

((I'd be happy to help you carry some of that. :smallbiggrin:))

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-28, 03:06 PM
((… all my stuff?
It's mainly the fin that is much too large to put in your pockets. Right now you're just carrying it in your arms.

Istari
2009-05-28, 03:08 PM
I head up to the lighthouse

Dr. Bath
2009-05-28, 03:15 PM
I head up to the lighthouse

It has no door.

Just so y' know.

And no, I'm not using up a levitate spell to go see.

Istari
2009-05-28, 03:17 PM
I noticed, but I have a backup plan

Murska
2009-05-28, 03:17 PM
I search the village for a tavern.

Selrahc
2009-05-28, 03:18 PM
The armour consists of some pads, boots, a chestplate and a helmet. It ups the armourclass, but it's not exactly decent, nor does it have any pockets.

Hum. I was imagining some full body armour. The kind you use if you work with explosives to protect yourself from shrapnel.

I don't forsee a happy conclusion for this character. Darn.

Murska
2009-05-28, 03:20 PM
Oh, and while searching the village for a tavern, I also keep an eye out for any unattended rope which will find it's way into my bag of holding somehow. :smalltongue:

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-28, 03:23 PM
I search the village for a tavern.
You find the local watering hole. There's a bunch of drunken fishermen hanging from a rickety bar built out of driftwood in a shabby building, structurally even more in danger of collapsing than any of the other shacks in the building. The only drink they sell is rum, and they sell it by the bottle. One pouch of coins per bottle.

Hum. I was imagining some full body armour. The kind you use if you work with explosives to protect yourself from shrapnel.

I don't forsee a happy conclusion for this character. Darn.
Oh, don't worry, I won't have your character maimed for being around explosions. Not if he's not too near them, that is.

Selrahc
2009-05-28, 03:28 PM
Right, well. I'm going to put my armour into as much of a dignity covering position as possible, and stash the rest of the stuff in as much of a hidden position as possible.

Then I'm going to go into town, and look for a sack, and some rope.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-28, 03:29 PM
So I was thinking. Using my unmatched WIZARDLY INTELLIGENCE, how'sabout we use the cannon for something useful.

Say... making a new stage act... Horatio the flying Dwarf sounds good right?

That would get someone up the lighthouse quick-sharp.

Murska
2009-05-28, 03:29 PM
I try to find some unattended rope, as stated, and then I'll go back to the bar, trying to see if any of the drunken people seem to have useful stuff like, say, coins. :smalltongue:

Kyouhen
2009-05-28, 03:36 PM
I look around for some rope and an empty barrel. I'd also like to suggest to the others that if we can tie enough of the fish to the barrel we might be able to use them to get up to the top of the lighthouse.

Istari
2009-05-28, 03:41 PM
Has anyone tried to climb it via grappling hook?

Dr. Bath
2009-05-28, 03:42 PM
Has anyone tried to climb it via grappling hook?

But... but... I wanted to fire a dwarf at it. :smallfrown:

I try and catch a fish though. For study.

Dirk Kris
2009-05-28, 03:53 PM
Garik takes no action this round, instead waiting to see why none of the villagers mess with the fish. He's contemplating catching some and using them for food later.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-28, 04:17 PM
I head to the light house and wait there for a while to make sure someone else is coming, too.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-28, 04:20 PM
BATH THE BEWILDERED goes to the LIGHTHOUSE to help HARUKI.

Carrying a FLYING FISH.

Uncle Festy
2009-05-28, 04:26 PM
I put on the Shark Fin, partially because it's easier than carrying it, but mostly because I want to try and scare the fish. :smalltongue:
Then I walk up to a fish and say, "Knock-knock."

billtodamax
2009-05-28, 04:30 PM
Bill goes towards the tavern, and starts juggling some nearby beer mugs for money.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-28, 04:38 PM
Haruki will attempt to climb the lighthouse with rope and hook. He will be using his stealth skills.

someonenonotyou
2009-05-28, 04:52 PM
i will see if any fisher men will take me across to the island for a price.

Recaiden
2009-05-28, 05:12 PM
I try and catch a flying fish and then look for a door to the lighthouse.

Istari
2009-05-28, 05:20 PM
Just a note, tried charming a fish with my ranger skillz and it didn't work so they have some magicyness or something

evnafets
2009-05-28, 05:36 PM
I'm going to head down to the "tavern" and strike up a conversation with the fishermen down there.

Greetings neighbours, how is the fishing lately? What can you tell me about these flying fish that nobody seems to bother with?

My cousin was a fisherman just like you guys, but he was no good at his job. Every day he would go out on his boat, toss his nets into the water, pull them in and they would be empty. He did this for days, going out on his boat, tossing out his nets, and catching nothing. Finally frustrated, he went to ask our old Grandfather what he was doing wrong?

"Grandfather", my cousin said. "Everyday when I get out of bed, I go out on my boat, and cast my nets into the water, but I catch no fish. I am getting hungry, and I want to catch fish. Can you please help me?"

"Ahhh," said my Grandfather, "your trouble is that you are fishing at the wrong time of day, you must go out earlier if you want to catch fish."

"But Grandfather, I cannot get up any earlier. Every night I am down with my friends at the bar, and we drink the wine, and woo the ladies. I get home so tired, that I can not get up any earlier."

My Grandfater replied - "be that as it may, but you will never catch any fish unless you can get a Potato Clock"

"A potato clock? Thank you grandfather I will get a potato clock!"

And so my cousin went to the peddler in our village, and asked him about getting a Potato Clock. The peddler had a small clock for the mantelpiece, but had never heard of a potato clock. "Maybe you can try in the city over the mountain. They have everything you could possibly need!"

And so my cousin walked over the mountain from our village to the big city, where everything you could possible need could be found.
There was a clockmaker there. The clockmaker had all manner of clocks in his little shop. There were grandfather clocks, cuckoo clocks, clocks for the bedroom, clocks for the kitchen, clocks for almost any purpose you could think of. But he didn't have a single Potato clock.
"I'll tell you what", said the clock maker, "I will sell you this clock. If you take home with you, and put it by your bedside it will help you get a Potato Clock!"

So sure enough, my cousin paid the clock maker, and took the clock back home over the mountain with him. That night, true to the clockmakers advice, he wound the clock and put it by his bedside. The next day when he awoke, we went out on his boat, tossed his net into the sea, and lo and behold, it came back full of fish!

He had done it!

Thanks to the clockmaker he had finally gotten himself UP AT 8 O'CLOCK

Raiser Blade
2009-05-28, 06:42 PM
Mamba tries to get information on the flying fish from the local fishermen.

Boo
2009-05-28, 07:06 PM
Murska walks to Boo, a nearby ranger, and asks for a trade. :smallsmile:

A trade you say? Boo checks his inventory, slaps himself for being an idiot, and agrees. I supposed they'd be slung over my shoulder, and such.

After the eventual trade, Boo will follow Murska and offer a deal. "Working together would benefit us both, would it not?"

Now... what is problematic for me to carry?

Istari
2009-05-28, 07:17 PM
Same here, I figure my weapons I strap to my back/sides and everything else I can put in my pockets

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-28, 08:01 PM
I'll ask the villagers what the flying fish are doing in town before loitering outside the tavern to pickpocket the next drunken person to come out of it.

InaVegt
2009-05-28, 08:20 PM
Ina plays her flute, dancing around.

evnafets
2009-05-28, 08:35 PM
Brother Evvie finds a quiet spot to sit down and meditate.

((Consult knowledge of animals about these "flying fish" ))

((Should we be PMing the the DM with actions like knowledge checks, or posting them in thread? I'm presuming that the rangers must know a little more about the wee beasties, and my holding of the Symbol of the Boar grants me knowledge of animals as well.))

Jontom Xire
2009-05-29, 02:50 AM
((… all my stuff?

((I'd be happy to help you carry some of that. :smallbiggrin:))

Darn, beat me to it! :smallbiggrin:

That's what I get for being asleep when the game starts.

Now, getting to the island - has no-one thought of catching lots of fish, tethering them with thread and tying them to a basket or something to fly us to the island, as per James and the Giant Peach?

Anyway, I'm going to go find a tavern with lot of rich but low perception villagers/fishermen and pick a pocket or two for coins. Or just take their whole money pouch from their belt. That works too.

Vampiric
2009-05-29, 03:45 AM
I'm going to hang around the beach.

How many fishermen are around, and who would notice if I stole a boat?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-29, 04:58 AM
Until the next GMing, which will be when everyone's posted, unless that takes quite too long, I will only be replying to requests for information. Any actions taken by the PCs (such as stealing coils of rope, pickpocketing villagers, scaling the tower, firing dwarves out of cannons, dancing around accompanied by flute music, etcetera) will be resolved in the GMing. Things like asking villagers for information, looking about town and such will be answered as soon as I am able to.

As for your actions, you may want to propose an entire plan of action, so you can get a lot done by the next GMing (rather than simply posting you steal a coil of rope, for example, you may want to expand that if this works you'll use the coil of rope to tether yourself to the mast of a fisherman's boat in case there's sirens in these waters, and then you'd pay the fisherman a pouch of coins to give you a ride to Gorgorath isle).

For those who had not yet noticed: The lighthouse does not have a door, nor any buttons or levers or such, in case you were expecting to find a secret entrance. Any fisherman would be glad to give a ride to any number of people in his boat to the island in trade for a pouch of coins. Of course, the person paying the bill gets to decide who gets a ride on the fisherman's boat.

Same here, I figure my weapons I strap to my back/sides and everything else I can put in my pockets
You don't really have any rope for strapping. The biggest problem seems to be your supply of beef jerky, the flute and your flasks and vials, which you're all just carrying in your hands now.

How many fishermen are around, and who would notice if I stole a boat?
There's quite a lot around, but it's possible to find a couple of boats without fishermen around.

Selrahc
2009-05-29, 05:15 AM
Well, if I find a sack, I'll turn it into clothes. If I find some rope, I use it to enact my original plan of strapping my possessions to myself. If that all gets done, I'll head up to the group at the lighthouse.

billtodamax
2009-05-29, 05:23 AM
I'll keep juggling until I have enough money for a pouch of coins,then I'll head over to the lighthouse and announce that I have solved the mystery! I'll take anyone who wants to come across on the boat. Before I announce that, however, I'll check all of my items to see if I still have them.

Murska
2009-05-29, 05:33 AM
Okay, my plan of action will be to attempt to steal a coil of rope, use my existing rope and the grappling hook to get to the top of the lighthouse to see if there's anything useful there and also steal any very easily stolen money pouches I come across whilst searching for said coil of rope.

Before climbing the lighthouse I'll try to gather as much information about the flying fish as I can, especially about if I can somehow control their direction, how much one of them could carry without falling and, basically, how many I'd need to tie to me to lift me into the air and fly to the island.

Jontom Xire
2009-05-29, 06:12 AM
To further expand on my earlier plan of action, I'm going to steal a pouch of coins from the drunkest/easiest to steal from person I can find in the tavern and then head down and find a fisherman to take me in his boat to the island. I will take as passenger anyone who is prepared to pay me a fee from their pouch of coins (assuming we can trade in single coins rather than whole pouches - how many coins in a puch anyway?).

The fee will be set sush that the number of coins I receive = a percentage of the money I pay the fisherman such that everyone ends up paying the same in effect including me. Or thereabouts. A small profit wouldn't go amiss.

Kyouhen
2009-05-29, 11:02 AM
I'm going to attempt to find some rope that nobody will notice is gone and attempt to tie 5 fish to it like little leashes.

If that doesn't work I look for a few bottles/flasks/other easily carried storage device that are big enough to fit the fish in, catch 5 fish, and make air holes in the containers.

Then I go down to the beach and hitch a ride with whoever's willing to give Meaty McShield ((That's my name! :smallbiggrin:)) a ride for free.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-29, 11:22 AM
Then I go down to the beach and hitch a ride with whoever's willing to give Meaty McShield ((That's my name! :smallbiggrin:)) a ride for free.

This.

I do this. Except I am BATH THE BEWILDERED not MEATY MCSHIELD.

someonenonotyou
2009-05-29, 11:38 AM
i go get the oldest most experince fisherman (so he know the quickest and safest way) who is willing to take me across and i tell him ill pay him on the island so he dont try to double cross me while riding i wait fully alert/paronoid trying to stab anyone / thing who comes near the boat.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-29, 11:39 AM
i go get the oldest most experince fisherman (so he know the quickest and safest way) who is willing to take me across and i tell him ill pay him on the island so he dont try to double cross me while riding i wait fully alert/paronoid trying to stab anyone / thing who comes near the boat.
You'll find no-one willing to take you across without paying beforehand.

Lamech
2009-05-29, 11:59 AM
I'm going to see if anyone needs healing done. And if they do I will offer my services as a servent of gaia to provide such healing in exchange for a boat ride for me and four others, or sufficient money to buy one.

InaVegt
2009-05-29, 02:43 PM
I go down and try to get people to take me along in exchange for entertainment.

evnafets
2009-05-29, 08:20 PM
Neighbours, we must work together to accomplish our goals. The good gods smile on those who help others in time of need. We should pool our resources in order to get us all to the island.

I have no possessions: my gods forbid them. But every day I strive to help my neighbours in their daily life. Here is my contribution: knowledge. And I give of it freely.

For those of you who don't yet know, the fish floating around the place are a type of fish normally found swimming in the sea (as opposed to a completely unknown fish) They appear healthy, and might be edible, but I would advise against such action. These are magical creatures and the fact that the local fishermen leave them alone should be warning enough.

How far is it out to the island? we might even be able to swim there. In fact, if the flying fish are an effect gained from swimming in the sea, we may not have to pay a pouch of coins to go over there - we could maybe just fly ourselves...

I'm going down to have a swim in the sea to find out. See if there is a place in the water the fish are swarming around and head there. Maybe we can spot it from the top of the cliff?

Failing that plan, if it looks too far to swim to the island, I will take up Billtodamax's (or anyone else's) offer of a ride in a boat.

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-29, 08:24 PM
My plan will be to accidentally bump into patrons entering the tavern for the purposes of stealing a pouch full of coins (everyone nows drunk patrons in he tavern already wasted all their coins on booze). I'll do this 3 times, until I get the coins or until the guards get suspicious (assuming there are any around).
If it succeeds, I'll go hire a boat and am prepared to allow anyone who still needs one to come with me (provided it isn't overcrowded, don't want the boat to capsize).
If it fails, I'm going to find the most isolated fisherman on their boat, slit their throat and try to row to the island as quickly as I can :smallbiggrin:

Mustiado
2009-05-29, 08:50 PM
I'll head to the beach, and then using my flute, I'll attempt to control the leader of a school of fish. Then, aiding in Vampiric's plan, I'll bewitch them to fly around the boat we abscond with, using them as a shield. ((If he's so willing to go along with said plan.))

Raiser Blade
2009-05-29, 11:06 PM
Mamba takes any available boat offer.

Boo
2009-05-30, 02:05 AM
Yeah... no plan of action except maybe to hitch a ride with whoever's willing.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-30, 03:46 AM
I'll do this 3 times, until I get the coins or until the guards get suspicious (assuming there are any around).
Surprisingly there seems to be no law enforcement at all in the entire town.

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-30, 07:06 AM
Sweet, time to go on a murderous rampage :smallbiggrin:
j/k, make it 5 times or until I get the coins needed for a ride or until someone catches me in the act in which case I'll just run away to the nearest dark alley and activate stealth.

Istari
2009-05-30, 07:14 AM
I'll head to the beach, and then using my flute, I'll attempt to control the leader of a school of fish. Then, aiding in Vampiric's plan, I'll bewitch them to fly around the boat we abscond with, using them as a shield. ((If he's so willing to go along with said plan.))

Tried to control them already, no luck

I'll go with my earlier pm'ed actions

Vampiric
2009-05-30, 07:25 AM
I can go along with that plan, Mustiado. Even if the fish thing doesn't work.

I'll look for a boat that isn't being looked out for, and doesn't have any obvious gaps in the woodwork...

Recaiden
2009-05-30, 11:07 AM
I look for a boat to hire with a pouch of coins.

Mustiado
2009-05-30, 11:57 AM
I have a secondary plan, once Vampiric finds a boat. ((assuming he's still up to it.)) I'll tie my rope to my spear, and on the assumption that maybe these fish can't be killed, I'll harpoon one, tying the rope off to the boat, and using the flying fish to pull us to the island.

Vampiric
2009-05-30, 01:31 PM
Sure. What could go wrong? :smalltongue:

Elrond
2009-05-31, 01:33 AM
Brisingri goes to find a dwarf to fire at the lighthouse:smallamused:

Boo
2009-05-31, 04:25 AM
Boo runs up to Murska, and commits suicide in front of him. Two reasons why: I'm leaving, and it will be a funny story to tell the guys at work. Well, for Murska, not the dead one on the floor.

Murska
2009-05-31, 05:12 AM
Uhh. Murska instantly reacts, grabbing all his stuff and stowing it into his bag of holding.

Boo
2009-05-31, 05:14 AM
"Remember me... as... a pirate!" X_X

Selrahc
2009-05-31, 05:19 AM
Uhh. Murska instantly reacts, grabbing all his stuff and stowing it into his bag of holding.

*A sheepish looking dwarf comes round the corner as you loot the body*
Ho there my good sir. Can I, uh... borrow the clothes of that dead guy? And maybe the rope?|

Murska
2009-05-31, 05:23 AM
"I could... loan you the clothes. But I expect some sort of a payment later on, of course." :smallsmile:

EDIT: Okay, my new plan of action will be just to climb the lighthouse with the grappling hook and rope(s).

Dirk Kris
2009-05-31, 09:19 AM
Garik heads down to the docks and offers to team up with anyone willing to let him ride along in their boat with them. Seeing as he is lacking in the needed "bag o' coins" to buy his own ride.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 12:15 AM
Theoretically, if someone were to shoot a bunch of arrows at another PC who is focusing on other tasks, what are the chances of those arrows hitting? Also, how tall is that tower, how would the elevation between 2 players affect the chance of an arrow hitting and is there a chance of the ropes breaking if a couple of arrows hit it?
All this is theory of course. It's not like I'm seriously considering shooting Murska while he climbs to kill and loot him because I certainly wouldn't ask those questions in public if I was and I didn't bring a bow and arrow with me :smallamused:

Murska
2009-06-02, 12:22 AM
Uhh. Free loot to anyone who wants to stand guard while I climb? :smalleek:

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 12:24 AM
I'll volunteer to guard you from myself :smallbiggrin:

Murska
2009-06-02, 12:25 AM
That is, if said somebody prevents an attack.

And can prove that he prevented an attack.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 12:31 AM
That isn't hard. I'll use my left hand to prevent my right hand from pulling out an arrow from the quiver that will otherwise have been aimed at you :smallbiggrin:

Murska
2009-06-02, 12:37 AM
Oh, but can you PROVE you did that? No, I think you'll have to rip out the arm instead and show it's corpse to me to receive the bounty loot.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 12:41 AM
Of course I can prove it. I'm going to to admit that my right hand was going to grab an arrow to shoot you and I can testify that my left hand stopped it from doing so.

Murska
2009-06-02, 12:49 AM
Bah, you're a thief, who's gonna believe you? :smallamused:

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 12:50 AM
In that case, I'm going to shoot an arrow at you and then shoot a second arrow at the first arrow I shot to stop the first arrow from hitting you :smallamused:

Murska
2009-06-02, 12:53 AM
Uh. You sure the second one will hit? :smalleek:

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 12:55 AM
Of course I'm sure. I've been practicing archery since i was a child.
Also, if it somehow misses, then I could always loot your corpse when you fall off the tower :smallamused:

(Off to play poker and no, I don't actually plan to do anything I typed since Murska is a lying thief too so I doubt he'd pay up :smalltongue:)

billtodamax
2009-06-02, 01:11 AM
All this is theory of course. It's not like I'm seriously considering shooting Murska while he climbs to kill and loot him because I certainly wouldn't ask those questions in public if I was and I didn't bring a bow and arrow with me :smallamused:

*sighs*
*goes to PM narrator an inventory check*

Selrahc
2009-06-02, 03:28 AM
Uhh. Free loot to anyone who wants to stand guard while I climb? :smalleek:

I'll help you out. I owe you one for the clothes. Of course my guard would be a lot more efficient if you would give me a weapon of some sort, since my lack of rope means I can't use my actual weaponry.

Kyouhen
2009-06-02, 10:19 AM
Meaty McShield will draw his Blunderbuss and stand at the bottom of the lighthouse for Murska, glaring in a menacing fashion at anyone who so much as looks at the lighthouse. :smallannoyed:

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-02, 10:20 PM
Can I get a general idea of the area surrounding the lighthouse? Any shrubbery, houses, wildlife, etc?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-03, 01:22 AM
Can I get a general idea of the area surrounding the lighthouse? Any shrubbery, houses, wildlife, etc?

Well, there's some houses (or rather shacks) near the lighthouse, but not in the immediate vicinity. Except for some rocks it's pretty barren, actually. Oh, there's some fish though, obviously.

Beyond the town lies the forest.

Reinholdt
2009-06-03, 01:53 AM
Reinholdt sticks one of those summon beetles scrolls in his pointy hat and puts the nifty hat on.

Pulling out his walking stick he heads to the docks to see who else is there, hoping he didn't miss the boat with his lateness.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-03, 06:44 AM
Garik nods his head politely at the late-arriving mage and begins asking the fishermen at the docks about the flying fish. Aside from what he already knows, of course. Why aren't they netted and eaten? Superstition about magic?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-08, 01:07 PM
Okay, DMing coming up soon. In the meantime, for those of you who I was (clearly unnecessarily) waiting for, it's impolite to drop out of the game without notifying the other players. Why would you even sign up for a game and then not even play the first round??

...Okay, so that was a plural statement, but really, it's only addressed to one person. Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

Also, if you haven't already, subscribe to this thread.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-08, 05:01 PM
Room 1
As soon as someoneontoyou, Mustiado, Kyouhen, Selrahc and InaVegt set foot across the border of the town of Yoggoth, they are teleported out of sight. Each of them soon finds themselves in a cage, somewhere underground. InaVegt manages to escape instantly and sneak out, as she's a Jester. Meanwhile, someoneontoyou manages to pick the lock on the cage and sneak off as well. A voice resounds through the pitchblack underground.
"I am Yoggoth, mage of the outer dimensions, and lawkeeper of this town. You are guilty of one charge of NUDISM. You were warned not to slip up. Not to break the law. And now harsh measures must be taken"
A blinding light appears in the room.
"Tell me, what limb would you like to lose most?"

After a brief stroll through the town, Murska, Fleeing Coward, Jontom Xire and Vampiric are all teleported away as well, to awake in a cage in a dank cave. Fortunately none of them remain caged for long and they all manage to sneak away. Behind them, they hear a voice say something about "LARCENY" and then swear loudly, but they just continue on through the hallway, at the end of which they meet up with InaVegt and someoneontoyou. They appear to be in some kind of subterranean harbour, and when they hear footsteps in the distance, they see no better option but to hide in one of the boats.

billtodamax meanwhile earns himself a nice pouch of coins juggling beermugs and uses it to hire one of the fishermen to transport him and some others to the other side. He is accompanied on his boat by evnafets, Raiser_Blade, Recaiden, Dirk Kris and Reinholdt.

Lamech meanwhile manages to earn his own passage by healing one of the fishermen from a nasty case of the runs. He gives a ride to Dr. Bath.

GAThraawn pays for his own boat by giving the fisherman a rat inna box instead of real payment. Way to oppress the masses!

Hariku and Istari take some initiative by climbing the lighthouse. At the top they are met by a blinding light. Strangely the light moves. They seem to discern a figure in it, a man rising from his throne. Except for the throne and the man that's giving off all that light, the top floor is barren. There aren't even any stairs.
"Greetings" the luminous figure speaks, "My name is Yoggoth. I am what stands between this town and darkness. Within it borders I am god. I am the law. I am the light. I am Yoggoth"
He paused and for a minute seemed to bask in the effect of his might on the strangers.
"Technically what you're doing is TRESPASSING, but I have other matters to deal with, and I do not believe you meant ill. The others, however... NUDISTS and THIEVES, who believe they can escape the all-present gaze of Yoggoth. They were warned. The sign at the entry road says so. Slip up, and we maim you! But do they ever listen? No! Oh, well, I must admit I've been hankering for some recreative maiming for a while. Goodbye now"
One moment they were atop the tower, and the next they were downstairs again. Teleported. Back to square one.

Boo, meanwhile, due to significant lack in Murska, commits suicide in front of a random fisherman, who is quite happy to store his goods for the time be, and made trade some of them in for rum. He hasn't had a stiff drink in a while.

Elrond fails in his search for a dwarf, but that's not such a big problem considering the lack of a cannon.

Uncle Festy tries to get a reaction from one of the fish, but honestly, it's not the best audience.

Dirk Kris questions one of the fishermen about the fish in detail. The fisherman looks up at him in fear and says "They're Yoggoth's fish! He'd do horrible things if we hurt them. Besides, they're- they're not even fish. Superstition about magic you say? Well, it's no superstition! They're some sort of spell Yoggoth, the wizard who lives in the lighthouse, brewed. They're his eyes. He sees everything through them, and when someone breaks the law... I should go, sir. I've got fish to catch, and you a boat"

All this time Trixie just stands around doing nothing. Some of the fishermen decide to make fun of this course of action.

Mustiado, Selrahc and Kyouhen had been pointed the way to the harbour after losing something that was very precious to them. The wizard Yoggoth had found their intentions noble, even though he clearly disapproved of their methods. Maybe if they told him they were in it for the treasure and not for vanquishing Gorgorath even this wouldn't be true. He had been kind enough to give each of them some rags to wear, and even a ride to the island. They got on board of the appointed boat, which was then steered slowly to the island, without even a helmsman. When they were about halfway the other prisoners who'd escaped to the harbour earlier emerged from their hiding places on board.

Okay, so added to inventories through stealing:
Murska : a coil of rope
Jontom Xire: Pouch of Coins
Fleeing Coward: Pouch of Coins

As for those unfortunates that broke the law AND failed to escape the slightly megalomaniac Yoggoth, you may choose a limb to lose (that is, a leg or an arm).

Those who are not on one of the boats and are in possession of a pouch of coins may simply turn one in for transport (one pouch of coins will buy any amount of people transport) and continue automatically to room 2 without a DMing in between. The rest are stuck in Room 1 until they find a solution. And you don't want to end up stuck in room 1, do ya?

Anyways, for the rest of you:
Room 2: Wicked Wicker Goblins
Somewhere near the island the water becomes too shallow for boats, and you are forced to continue by foot, kneedeep in water most of the time. You seem to be walking on a sandy surface, which is knit together with thick clods of reeds sticking out of the water. You’re actually traversing what appears to be a large plain of wicker, submerged in a layer of water. Naturally, progress is rather slow. This becomes worrying when you start noticing bits of bone and skull hanging in the reeds. Here and there shoddy wicker signs are placed, with skulls or other hostile looking symbols drawn on them with a suspiciously red substance. Then come the warcries, and they emerge. Not too far ahead of the group is a bunch of goblins, about fifty of them, clad in wicker armour and waving pointy sticks. These are their hunting grounds, and you are their prey. In the distance, far beyond the murderous goblins, you can spot a large skull shaped rock, which is rumoured to be the entrance to Gorgorath’s dungeon.

Murska
2009-06-08, 05:12 PM
Eh. What are our surroundings like? Very much in detail, please. :smallsmile:

Uncle Festy
2009-06-08, 05:17 PM
((Hm, solution time?
Well, I gots me a snorkel and Shark Fin, so let's take a swim! :smallbiggrin:))

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-08, 05:19 PM
A large plain of wicker, submerged in a layer of water. A sandy surface, which is knit together with thick clods of reeds sticking out of the water. There are some bits of decorations (such as feathers and lots of red paint) in most of the reed, and here and there, very sparsely, there are somewhat larger wicker woven signs with skulls drawn on them (let's say three in the visible vicinity). Then there's a couple of skulls too, one of which resting on the corner of a wicker sign, some in clods of reed and some underwater. In fact, under the layers of sand on your feet there do appear to be a rather large amount of bones, though all scattered and broken.

You are nineteen. They are fifty. They seem to be spreading out somewhat, which could allow them to make a circling movement, surrounding you.

Again, make a largish plan that I can process in the next GMing. Small actions such as "I look for a dwarf" will get you a small GMing. They may not be bad as such, but your progress will be significantly slow.

Murska
2009-06-08, 05:20 PM
How fast do they seem to be moving? Faster than I can run?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-08, 05:22 PM
How fast do they seem to be moving? Faster than I can run?
They're not really running, so no. You have no idea if you could outrun them though.

evnafets
2009-06-08, 05:33 PM
That damn fisherman. The least he could have done was taken us to the BACK door. Seeing as we're still knee deep in water, I don't think running away is going to work. This is the goblins' element anyway - they're used to it presumably.

We could maybe try some shock effect. From what little I know of goblins they might be relatively easily scared. Alternatively there seem to be enough bones around that necromancy might be useful.

Istari
2009-06-08, 05:35 PM
I'll try to entertain a fisherman with my flute into giving me a ride across, if that works, I'll let anyone ride across with me.

Also inventory check

GAThraawn
2009-06-08, 05:36 PM
((Hm, solution time?
Well, I gots me a snorkel and Shark Fin, so let's take a swim! :smallbiggrin:))

Indeed. I quickly lash on my shark fin and begin swimming alongside Uncle Festy in a decidedly sharklike manner. Hopefully we can bypass the goblins while they are busy chasing less dangerous prey.

Uncle Festy
2009-06-08, 05:44 PM
Indeed. I quickly lash on my shark fin and begin swimming alongside Uncle Festy in a decidedly sharklike manner. Hopefully we can bypass the goblins while they are busy chasing less dangerous prey.

As the two are about to jump into the water, Festy turns to GAThraawn. "So," he asks, "did you hear about the aquarium owner who was always screaming at people? Well, turns out his shark was worse then his pike." He grins as the audience groans.

Reinholdt
2009-06-08, 05:49 PM
Do there appear to be enough bones for a necromancy scroll to work?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-08, 05:51 PM
Do there appear to be enough bones for a necromancy scroll to work?
There's plenty of bones. If whatever you produce will be a very stable entity though... Only one way to find out.

Uncle Festy
2009-06-08, 05:53 PM
Also, before I dive in, I pat my pockets to make sure no one stole my stuff.

Lamech
2009-06-08, 09:53 PM
Tightly packed low level monsters? Doesn't fireball make everything better? And get large amounts of xp?

evnafets
2009-06-08, 10:54 PM
Tightly packed low level monsters? Doesn't fireball make everything better? And get large amounts of xp?

How well does fireball work in the presence of a large amount of sea water?
Though they are wearing wicker armor. If it wasn't too wet, I'm sure it would be flammable.

Kyouhen
2009-06-09, 12:19 AM
A fireball would at least scorch them all, just wouldn't set them on fire.

billtodamax
2009-06-09, 01:49 AM
I'll start shooting at them with my bow and arrows, encouraging anyone else with ranged weapons to do so also. I'll switch to trying to firebreathe on them using my torch and lamp oil if they get too close.

Jontom Xire
2009-06-09, 03:13 AM
I'm going to heroically look for a hollow reed and prepare to hide underwater, breathing through the hollow tube.

I'll try to circle round (underwater), avoiding the goblins to get behind them (but not behind in the sense that missiles that miss them will hit me). If I get any really safe opportunities once I am behind them, I might try a backstab or two.

---

And being a thief rocks. A pouch of coins AND a free ride to the island? :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Bath
2009-06-09, 04:24 AM
Right. So. Due to my fantastic BOTANICAL KNOWLEDGE, I have deduced that the goblins' armour is probably made of the reeds found in the area, which are easy to weave and offer a modicum of protection. They dry out quickly, so should still burn fairly easily, so long as the goblins aren't wet.

We could fireball/shoot/slash/whatever through the goblins, but I think a better plan would be to either:

a) scare them off (some show magic displays? Shooting the leader with a bow? Not sure)

b) Try and reason with/bribe them. (perhaps we could inform them of where the town we just visited is located? Far more tasty people there than there are here)

The more we can do without magic, the better, since our scroll/mana supplies are going to run dry fairly quick.

Kyouhen
2009-06-09, 08:52 AM
Ok, so after careful consideration I'm sacrificing my left leg. I don't see myself being very effective with my weapons missing an arm, so it'll have to be a leg. I use my pickaxe to support myself while walking and sit on my barrel when combat is involved.

That said I pull out a reed, use it as a breathing tube, and follow GAThrwaan underwater in hopes the shark will clear a path.

Murska
2009-06-09, 09:00 AM
Come on, SOMEONE has to attempt necromancy. :smallbiggrin:

I think I'll grab a breathing reed aswell and go underwater, then going diagonally towards the goblins' surrounding movement to the nearest thick, large clump of reeds that way and hide myself in their midst, staying underwater and breathing through my tube. Then I wait until the goblins are past and continue, underwater, towards the cave entrance. I'll use my goggles of heatvision to see and if I get spotted I toss a smokebomb and try to avoid my pursuers with said heatvision.

EDIT: This is, of course, dependant on the clump of reeds being cover enough to activate Sneaking, so I don't disturb the reeds by my movement, being an agile thief.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 09:26 AM
I'll try to entertain a fisherman with my flute into giving me a ride across, if that works, I'll let anyone ride across with me.
You don't really have any performing skill with the flute, so no one's willing to give you anything for your music.

Reinholdt
2009-06-09, 09:42 AM
Yeah. Sure. Necromancer to the rescue. Hopefully. With a little bluffing thrown in there too.

I'll shout "Kneel before me, for I am the God over life and death!" raising up my stick all Gandalf like. Then whip out a scroll of Necromancy and use it on the bone pile. And hey. If some of them actually kneel, we'll probably talk to them about becoming my "chosen few" and having them lead the way into the cave.

Somebody has to test for traps after all...

Otherwise there will just be "BOO!" and attempts to scare them off.

Murska
2009-06-09, 02:00 PM
So, summarized
I'll see how exactly the goblins are fanning out, they shouldn't be THAT organized. Then I pick a direction to the side, or diagonally towards the cave entrance, which has the best hiding position, prefarably, as said, a spot with reeds on every side, and head there underwater. Wait until goblins pass so it's reasonably safe and quickly move, underwater if undetected or smokebomb+running if not, to the cave entrance.

Mustiado
2009-06-09, 02:02 PM
Having also sacrificed his left leg, Mustiado hobbles into the scene, and implores one of his comrades to stomp, hard, on his spear, about 3/4s of the way down. Once the wood is snapped, he lashes it to his leg to serve as a faux limb.

Without any other choice, I set up shop with Billtodamax, using my proficiency with my bow to kill the advancing goblins, always looking for signs of a leader. I also keep my backpack, lantern oil, and tinderbox nearby, as a last second firebomb to scorch and confuse the goblins. I remove my water and jerky from the pack beforehand, and tuck it inside my armor.

Selrahc
2009-06-09, 02:28 PM
Did I bring my stuff with me? I kind of wanted to grab my things before leaving them behind forever.

Haruki-kun
2009-06-09, 02:31 PM
I'll ask the other players if any of them can spare a coin to help me get accross.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 02:41 PM
Did I bring my stuff with me? I kind of wanted to grab my things before leaving them behind forever.
You didn't lose anything.

Selrahc
2009-06-09, 03:07 PM
You didn't lose anything.

Except for a leg. I really really really wish that armour had been more covering.

I'll try and get back to town and trade my dwarven ale for for some of Boo's possessions. Real clothes, rope and a melee weapon are favourite.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 03:09 PM
Except for a leg. I really really really wish that armour had been more covering.

I'll try and get back to town and trade my dwarven ale for for some of Boo's possessions. Real clothes, rope and a melee weapon are favourite.

Get... back? :smallconfused:
I think you're missing the point here.

Selrahc
2009-06-09, 03:22 PM
I'm still facing some pretty major problems of carrying stuff, and if I get off the boat into the swamp with my possessions and no way to carry them, then I might as well just throw them away.

Basically, I still need rope. And my attempts to get it before the last time were completely derailed by a mad wizard.

Plus, by the time I get the rope and head back over here, then the others will be through dealing with these goblins. :smalltongue:

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 03:24 PM
I'm still facing some pretty major problems of carrying stuff, and if I get off the boat into the swamp with my possessions and no way to carry them, then I might as well just throw them away.

Basically, I still need rope. And my attempts to get it before the last time were completely derailed by a mad wizard.
True, but...
How do you expect to get back??

Selrahc
2009-06-09, 03:30 PM
By boat? Let the others off at the island, then row back.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 03:36 PM
By boat? Let the others off at the island, then row back.
There's fishermen on the boats, you know. They do want to be paid for giving you a ride.

Selrahc
2009-06-09, 03:46 PM
Well then, I guess I'll offer to work for them until I've earned my passage. I'm a craftsman, so perhaps they have some odd jobs that they need done around their houses?

Dr. Bath
2009-06-09, 03:48 PM
Seriously? Everyone is trying to run away/through the Goblins? Stoopid jesters! Don't abandon your casters! The goblins just have spears, correct? No bows and arrow, slings, sharp pointy ranged weapons?

Also, how stupid and/or supersticious do these goblins look? Will they have seen magic before?

Is there an obvious leader? Y'know. Pointier stick, bigger hat, cloak, whatever?

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 03:49 PM
Well then, I guess I'll offer to work for them until I've earned my passage. I'm a craftsman, so perhaps they have some odd jobs that they need done around their houses?
...This is not really a long term campaign. They have no immediate need of a handyman and prefer being able to buy rum anyways. Besides, any job that would occupy a lot of time would probably cost you the treasure at the end of the dungeon.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-09, 03:50 PM
Seriously? Everyone is trying to run away/through the Goblins? Stoopid jesters! Don't abandon your casters! The goblins just have spears, correct? No bows and arrow, slings, sharp pointy ranged weapons?

Also, how stupid and/or supersticious do these goblins look? Will they have seen magic before?

Is there an obvious leader? Y'know. Pointier stick, bigger hat, cloak, whatever?

There is no obvious leader. And yes, they only have spears.
Of course, judging from the amount of bones, they've probably seen an enemy or two pass. Some of them may, or may not, have been casters. Judging how stupid someone is by how they look though, is sorta, well, stupid. Except in that degree of course that you can plainly see they're goblins.

Selrahc
2009-06-09, 03:51 PM
Well, bereft of options, I guess I'll offer my alcohol in return for anyone who is willing to give me some rope. Good dwarven stuff. Best served with a slice of lime.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-09, 04:04 PM
I take aim with my bow and start picking off the goblins advancing towards us. Targeting first, of course, those that appear to be headed my way.

Istari
2009-06-09, 04:10 PM
I try to get someone to trade me some coins so I can get across for my beef jerky

evnafets
2009-06-09, 04:55 PM
Yeah. Sure. Necromancer to the rescue. Hopefully. With a little bluffing thrown in there too.

I'll shout "Kneel before me, for I am the God over life and death!" raising up my stick all Gandalf like. Then whip out a scroll of Necromancy and use it on the bone pile. And hey. If some of them actually kneel, we'll probably talk to them about becoming my "chosen few" and having them lead the way into the cave.

Somebody has to test for traps after all...

Otherwise there will just be "BOO!" and attempts to scare them off.
I will aid Reinholdt in this plan.
When he holds up his staff and calls out to the goblins, I will punctuate his speech with a thunder clap (cast: summon loud noise)

(Oh Reinholdt, you better be ready for this, I don't want you to be surprised by the noise)

If they turn and run, or look to be co-operating with Reinholdt, fine.
If they just pause in their advance, I will join Reinholdt, hold up my Holy Symbol and start chanting in the hope that that will convince them.

If they still keep coming, and there are enough bones left I will call upon the Dark one to raise another creature from the bones, and set it on the goblins along with Reinholdt's, and let it pursue them to their doom.

Lamech
2009-06-09, 05:44 PM
Umm... why are we randomly creating zombies again? Well I'm sure you guys know what your doing. I'm going to go over to Mustiado and heal his leg. Then I will get ready to cast frost at any goblins that get close enough to hurt me or Mustiado; attempting to freeze them in the water. I will be hiding behind Mustiado for saftey assuming he doesn't mind too much.

GAThraawn
2009-06-09, 05:48 PM
Seriously? Everyone is trying to run away/through the Goblins? Stoopid jesters!

"You callin' me stoopid? Your plan is to support the Necromancers in reanimating a pile o' dead folk I suppose, Numbskull? Well then I got a bone to pick wit' you, cause you ain't humerus, and you can just quit ribbin' me, okay? My plan may be fishy, but yours is a dead loss, and that ain't no call to go around hurtin' people's femurs."

He quickly dives overboard.

Reinholdt
2009-06-09, 06:14 PM
I will aid Reinholdt in this plan.
When he holds up his staff and calls out to the goblins, I will punctuate his speech with a thunder clap (cast: summon loud noise)

(Oh Reinholdt, you better be ready for this, I don't want you to be surprised by the noise)

If they turn and run, or look to be co-operating with Reinholdt, fine.
If they just pause in their advance, I will join Reinholdt, hold up my Holy Symbol and start chanting in the hope that that will convince them.

If they still keep coming, and there are enough bones left I will call upon the Dark one to raise another creature from the bones, and set it on the goblins along with Reinholdt's, and let it pursue them to their doom.
Reinholdt is ready for this.
It'll be fun. :smallbiggrin: :smallcool:

evnafets
2009-06-09, 06:32 PM
Umm... why are we randomly creating zombies again?

Ummm - because the bones are just - right there???? They're mentioned in the description, so obviously they're intended to be used. When the DM throws you a bone, you use it to the fullest extent possible...

My cousin's sister's brother once faced a bunch of goblins like this. He was a cabin boy on a pirate ship you see. One time when they were stopped for supplies, They met a goblin band like this. They were outnumbered, but the Captain showed no fear. His immediate reaction was "Bring me my red shirt"
The cabin boy brought him a red shirt, and he led the charge against the goblins, scattering them.

After the battle, my cousin's sister's brother asked the captain why he wanted the red shirt.
The captain replied: Its simple - its all a matter of morale. If I was wounded in the battle the crew might lose heart. Wearing the red shirt means that if I am wounded, the crew won't be able to tell, and they won't give up the fight.

The next day they encountered a larger band of goblins. The cabin boy looked at the captain. Again the command was "Bring me my red shirt". They fought and won.
Again its worth was proven. The fabled red shirt inspired the men, and they fought all the better for it.

A week later, stopped for supplies on another island, they encountered a huge horde of goblins armed to the teeth. The crew was surrounded and severely outnumbered.
The cabin boy looked to his Captain.
The captain looked at the cabin boy.
"Bring me my Brown Pants!"

billtodamax
2009-06-09, 06:41 PM
@^: *laughs*

Haruki-kun
2009-06-09, 06:47 PM
Right....

Using my rope, hook, and bag of holding (in that order) I will attempt to fish. In the ocean.

If successful, I will sell the fish in the village and attempt to use the money to cross.

someonenonotyou
2009-06-09, 09:01 PM
come on people there goblins Attack!
i yell and leeroy jerkins type war cry and charge away from any spells cast or arrows so i dont get hit by accedently and slice me up sum goblins

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-10, 04:43 AM
Ummm - because the bones are just - right there???? They're mentioned in the description, so obviously they're intended to be used. When the DM throws you a bone, you use it to the fullest extent possible...
It may be dangerous to assume I'll never throw you a red herring or two.
Meanwhile, I'm pretty glad I added the whole joke requirement thing. Your last one was pretty good, but this one was great. :smallsmile:

Also, for those of you who are still trying to cross, you might also want to tell me what you'll do once you get across, or you'll find yourself still behind on everyone else.

Lamech
2009-06-10, 10:37 AM

Or you know he's throwing us a way to get us all killed?

Reinholdt
2009-06-10, 10:39 AM
Or you know he's throwing us a way to get us all killed?
But that's fun too! :smallsmile:

Selrahc
2009-06-10, 11:01 AM
Well... hopefully someone will give me some rope. If the fishermen have any, I'll trade with them for the ale.

When we get to the island, I'll set up in support of any effort against the goblins with my cannon, then follow people wherever they're going.

Uncle Festy
2009-06-10, 02:24 PM
Once I get to the island, I'll get onto shore, stare at the horde of goblins, and slowly walk back into the water. :smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2009-06-11, 06:13 AM
Alright so. I cast mage hand and use it throw Goblins out to sea. That is, if nothing else halts their charge.

If it looks like we'll be overwhelmed I use a levitation scroll and float (really high up) towards the skull place.

Vampiric
2009-06-11, 06:18 AM
Istari, I will take your beef jerky for a pouch of coins, and then we can both get a boat :smallsmile:

Once I get to the island, I'll wave my arms wildly and scream a load of gibberish, run in circles, and throw a lit firecracker at the goblins.

To try and intimidate them, if that wasn't obvious... >_> :smalltongue:

billtodamax
2009-06-11, 06:23 AM
*has sudden urge to start shooting at Vampiric*
*Makes will save*
You were lucky this time. :smalltongue:

Istari
2009-06-11, 02:35 PM
I'll make the trade and set out with anyone else who wants to come, when I get there I'll start shooting goblins unless Reinholt manages to get them to surrender

Dirk Kris
2009-06-14, 09:28 AM
Garik continues to pick off the advancing goblins...

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-14, 06:49 PM
I'll setup shop behind the other archers so I have an opportunity to run and maybe use my smokebomb if it looks like we're going to get overwhelmed. Then I'll start picking off the goblins as well.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-21, 08:14 AM
Mr. Nigma - DON'T FORGET ABOUT US!!!!

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-21, 11:14 AM
I won't :smallbiggrin:
Expect an update tomorrow.

someonenonotyou
2009-06-21, 09:28 PM
fheew! my puter was acting stupid i was afraid i missed something here :smallbiggrin:
thank you procrastaration:smallbiggrin:

Murska
2009-06-22, 08:46 PM
I won't :smallbiggrin:
Expect an update tomorrow.

Expected an update. >.>

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-23, 08:24 AM
Room 1
Istari trades his beef jerky for a ride across. It turns out some of the fishermen are quite happy to have something else to eat but fish. He also takes along Uncle Festy.

Haruki-kun manages to catch some fish and sell them on the fishmarket, also earning him a ride across.

The rest of the people still in the town of Yoggoth (Trixie and Elrond) stand by idly doing nothing until they die of old age.
Room 2
Selrahc manages to trade his dwarven ale for a coil of rope.

As soon as they spot the goblins, Uncle Festy and GAThraawn lash on their Shark fins and dive into the shallow water. Jontom Xire, Kyouhen and Murska pick out some hollow reeds and follow suit, diving past the goblins in the wake of the "sharks".

Meanwhile, Reinholdt channels his arcane powers to bring back one of the goblins' victims from the past. The undead abomination, a skeleton with several parts missing, decided rapidly that the closest person to him would probably make the easiest victim and threw itself at Reinholdt, attempting to tear his throat out. Luckily, that proved to be quite hard without any muscles in his hands. In a fit of fear Reinholdt kicks down his own creation from whence it came.

evnafets manages to scare the goblins away with a thunderclap from Reinholdt long enough for them not to interrupt his tête-a-tête with the skeleton.

Another cleric showing support for his team is Lamech, who heals Mustiado's leg, growing it back!

billtodamax, Mustiado, Dirk Kris, Istari and Fleeing Coward form a united front of archers, picking off a large number of goblins at a distance. Selrahc joins them with his cannon, proving slightly more effective at destroying goblins (he manages to kill fifteen on his own).

Lamech and Dr.Bath join them with magical support, Lamech freezing the goblins stuck to the water so they're easy to pick off and Dr. bath hurling them into the sea with Mage Hand. They are definitely pulling their weight in this battle, as they each manage to take out four goblins.

someoneontoyou charges at the goblins Leeroy Jenkins style, and much like his idol he soon finds himself swamped by enemies, attacking from all directions. With a spear through the throat, after killing his fair share of goblins, someoneontoyou joins the thousands of submerged skeletons.

Haruki-kun and Raiser_Blade manage to kill off the three remaining goblins after Vampiric distracted them with a firecracker.

InaVegt and Recaiden just stand around being completely useless this round, but luckily they do so in the centre of the group of archers, earning them a final chance.
Vampiric couldn't make the trade with Istari since he had already made it across.

Everyone except those who died are moving on to room 3:
Room 3: Archers get their Hitsies
You arrive in an area with much fewer reeds, and some small areas of sand peeking out of the water. Ahead of you is the huge stone skull that forms the entrance to Gorgorath’s dungeon. The skull’s eyes and mouth consist of large holes in the rock. The mouth is at water level and seems to be large enough to enter, with a huge metal door looming inside, about 16 feet in. The mouth is adorned with numerous stalagmites and stalactites that could be seen as teeth.

The problem in this area appears to be the eyes. You have found the camp of the wicker goblins: it’s up there. Unfortunately the camp is rather well-protected. Both eyes are about 30 feet up from waterlevel and contain a multitude of goblin archers (say twenty-five archers per eye). The right eye has some wicker defences while the left archers use large rocks to shield themselves.

Haruki-kun
2009-06-23, 01:34 PM
OK, does anyone have a bow, arrows and a way to make fire?

We can take down the wicker defenses in the left eye Barcelona style. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSA9xUUXj6E)

Dirk Kris
2009-06-23, 01:43 PM
Garik raises his bow, still in hand. His quiver bristles with arrows. "I've got the first part covered - who's got fire?"

Selrahc
2009-06-23, 02:14 PM
Having finally sorted out his equipment, Selrahc is ready to contribute ideas! He hobbles to a whispered conference with the others.

"No way is that mouth a natural formation. Looks to me like those goblin laddies made it themselves. They've shaped it out like a face, and they look like they're a mite scared of it. Now I know some of you wizards ken a few a tricks, and you harlequins do too. Maybe if we made a big booming voice come out of the mouth, shot out a few sparks and stuff, then we could convince them to let us into the mouth unharmed."

He gives them a moment to discuss this. Then cuts in..

"Or" he says, pulling the cannon to the ready "We could just shoot our way through. I'm fine wi' whatever you lads come up with."

Haruki-kun
2009-06-23, 02:56 PM
Having finally sorted out his equipment, Selrahc is ready to contribute ideas! He hobbles to a whispered conference with the others.

"No way is that mouth a natural formation. Looks to me like those goblin laddies made it themselves. They've shaped it out like a face, and they look like they're a mite scared of it. Now I know some of you wizards ken a few a tricks, and you harlequins do too. Maybe if we made a big booming voice come out of the mouth, shot out a few sparks and stuff, then we could convince them to let us into the mouth unharmed."

He gives them a moment to discuss this. Then cuts in..

"Or" he says, pulling the cannon to the ready "We could just shoot our way through. I'm fine wi' whatever you lads come up with."

"I have a smokebomb. It might help get past the archers. Unless, of course, there's HIDDEN archers, in which case we all die."

Istari
2009-06-23, 03:03 PM
The thieves could try sneaking up and backstabbing them, and we their attention is diverted we nail them with arrows.

Haruki-kun
2009-06-23, 03:29 PM
The thieves could try sneaking up and backstabbing them, and we their attention is diverted we nail them with arrows.

I'm a thief, not the invisible man. I can't just walk in through an entrance right in front of them and expect them not to see me.

Istari
2009-06-23, 03:36 PM
Hmmm, well we need another plan then, lighting the wicker on fire is good but it probably won't kill the other goblins behind the rocks

Edit:\/ Missed that, not sure if it would work but is probably worth a shot