PDA

View Full Version : Embrace the Green

The Demented One
2006-07-31, 02:15 AM
Thallasium
Size/Type: Tiny Plant (Aquatic, Symbiont)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (10 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), swim 10 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flatfooted 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: Tendrils +6 melee (1d3-5)
Full Attack: 2 Tendrils +6 melee (1d3-5)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft./0 ft. (5 ft. with tendrils)
Special Attacks: Attach
Special Qualities: Plant traits, symbiont traits, amphibious, grant algae traits, sustain host
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 6, Ego 5
Skills: Survival +6, Swim +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse (B), Dodge
Environment: Temperate Forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ½ or Host + ½
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral (Any)
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: –

Thallasium is a rare water-dwelling plant that has developed an ingenious method of evading predators. Looking to be nothing more than a lump of algae until it moves, it seeks out living creatures and migrates within their bodies, where it sustains them through photosynthesis. Many druids seek out Thallasium, viewing symbiosis with the plants one of the ultimate forms of becoming one with nature. Thallasium has a gp equivalent of 25,000 gp.

Attach (Ex)
A Thallasium can attach itself to a willing or helpless creature as a full-round action. Once it has done so, it migrates within the hosts body, augmenting its internal anatomy, leaving only faint, geometric growths of algae on the host’s skin as evidence of its presence. Attach or removing a Thallasium deals 1d3 points of Constitution damage to the host.

Grant Algae Traits (Ex)
The host of a Thallasium gets a +2 bonus on all saves against mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. In addition, the host of a Thallasium gains the aquatic subtype, the amphibious special ability, and a swim speed equal to half his base land speed.

Sustain Host (Ex)
The host of a Thallasium need not eat or sleep as long as he spends at least four hours each day in natural sunlight.

Skills
A Thallasium has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-07-31, 08:45 AM
Wow.
This creature is very powerful magic item, in effect, isn't it? With no lasting drawbacks, you become amphibious, self-sustaining, get a whole bunch of bonuses and partial immunities...

I'd like to see something to show how rare and obscure this stuff is, a market value, maybe a heavier Con damage, or some sort of XP or CHA penalty because you're now part algae - you know, a drawback worth mentioning. Otherwise, I can't see why everyone wouldn't want to fuse with Thallasium.

Great work as usual though, Mr Dementia.

The Demented One
2006-07-31, 09:36 AM
Wow.
This creature is very powerful magic item, in effect, isn't it? With no lasting drawbacks, you become amphibious, self-sustaining, get a whole bunch of bonuses and partial immunities...

I'd like to see something to show how rare and obscure this stuff is, a market value, maybe a heavier Con damage, or some sort of XP or CHA penalty because you're now part algae - you know, a drawback worth mentioning. Otherwise, I can't see why everyone wouldn't want to fuse with Thallasium.

Great work as usual though, Mr Dementia.
All symbionts have an equivalent item price. Can't buy them, but they count against your wealth-by-level deal. I'll give you a rough estimate a wee bit later today.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-01, 02:09 AM
Well, here's two weaknesses you could have:

-Constitution is lowered by 1 as long as a creature's infected by Thallasium.
-Extra damage from fire as long as a creature's infected by Thallasium.