PDA

View Full Version : Clerics alignment and deities [3.5]

Froogleyboy
2009-05-24, 05:04 PM
Ok, now I am playing a chaotic evil szarkhai cleric of lolth. Now later on I am planning to slowly shift to neutral good and change deities. Would I loose my spells? or would I keep all my clerical experiance.

Keld Denar
2009-05-24, 05:19 PM
At some point, you would slide too far, and Lolth would cut you off. At that point you could try praying to your new god(dess) and hope that he/she sees your heart for what it is and grants you spells. Work with your DM on how this will all shake down, since its ultimately his/her decision HOW to work this into the story.

RTGoodman
2009-05-24, 05:19 PM
Ex-Clerics

A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description).

There you go. You just need to find a Good Cleric to cast atonement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm) for you, though they might require a geas/quest beforehand for you to prove that you're sincere.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-24, 07:13 PM
One thing to consider is that you need to work out with your DM whether you can choose new domains when you switch deities. D&D rules don't provide any mechanism to switch domains after they've been chosen. For some domains you can switch them for the corresponding domain feats, instead; see Complete Champion. If your DM is a stickler, you may lose access to domain granted powers and spells unless they're common to both the old and new gods.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-24, 07:37 PM
Actually... (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=6)

DIVINE CONVERSION

As noted in the Player's Handbook, a cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct imposed by his deity loses all spells and class features and cannot attain any more levels as a cleric of that deity. All these penalties remain in effect until he atones. But what if he doesn't want to atone? What if a cleric of Hextor finds new meaning and purpose in serving Heironeous after a dramatic conversion experience? Such a character need not become a multiclass ex-cleric of Hextor/cleric of Heironeous. Instead, Heironeous can simply reinstate the character's cleric powers once he has proven his loyalty, talent, and ability.

A cleric who changes his patron deity must complete a quest to prove his devotion to his new patron. The nature of the quest depends on the deity, and it always clearly reflects the deity's alignment as well as his or her goals and beliefs. To start the process, the cleric must voluntarily accept a geas/quest spell cast by a higher-level cleric of his new deity. During the quest, the cleric has no access to spells or cleric class features -- except his weapon and armor proficiencies, which he does not forfeit.

Upon completing the quest, the cleric receives the benefit of an atonement spell from a cleric of the new deity. The character then becomes a cleric of the new deity and is inducted into the clergy during an appropriate ceremony of the DM's choosing. After selecting two of the new deity's domains in lieu of his old ones, the character has all the powers and abilities of his previous cleric level, plus the granted powers of his new domains.

This method is the only one by which a cleric can change his deity. The retraining rules can't be used to accomplish this task -- it is simply too substantial a change in the character's identity (not to mention his source of power) to chalk up to a bit of practice in his off hours.
Emphasis mine. I think that Living Greyhawk explicitly used this rule.

Edit: The PHB II also lists a cleric's choice of domains as a retrainable class feature.

Edit 2: It's spelled "szarkai". Apparently.

... So, they're like malenti, except their existence makes sense.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-24, 07:59 PM
What's a malenti?

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-24, 08:15 PM
Step 1: Google "malenti". (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=malenti)
Step 2: Click on the very first result (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sahuagin.htm).
Step 3: Press Ctrl + F.
Step 4: Type "malenti".

There ya go.

I have presented the above in the hope that you will generalize from these instructions and form a conclusion about how the internet can be used to gather information.