PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's Fate

JonahFalcon
2009-05-24, 09:15 PM
I still think the comic is resolving itself so that

Belkar replaces Xykon as a lich. The phylactery becomes Belkar's, maybe...?

Assassin89
2009-05-24, 09:29 PM
Or maybe
Belkar dies regardless of any speculated conditions that would prove otherwise.

I do not think that a phylactery of a lich can become one of a different lich. Also Belkar does not have the level of spellcasting for an effective lich meaning he would be destroyed more easily.

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-24, 09:46 PM
I don't think Belkar would enjoy being a lich. I mean, no sense of taste means no more booze, and nothing "down there" means no more ladies. And liches are more spellcasting-focused, meaning he wouldn't be able to kill as well either. So if all three of Belkar's favorite things are gone...

Besides, it takes too long to become a lich and the Order is sort of on a time crunch.

brilliantlight
2009-05-24, 11:20 PM
Belkar is a ranger/barbarian and has no more capacity of becoming a lich than the wiener dog he was riding earlier. He can't even become a spell caster as his int, wis and cha are all low.

Shinizak
2009-05-25, 12:23 PM
Belkar is a ranger/barbarian and has no more capacity of becoming a lich than the wiener dog he was riding earlier. He can't even become a spell caster as his int, wis and cha are all low.

His wisdom mod has a minus even! (-2 I believe)

Starscream
2009-05-25, 12:38 PM
I think he'll just die. As we've seen from Roy and Eugene, being vitally challenged does not prevent you from appearing in strips.

factotum
2009-05-25, 01:20 PM
As said above, Belkar can't become a lich due to the slight handicap of not being a spellcaster. (OK, technically he IS a spellcaster, but his Wisdom is so low he can't cast any of his spells!).

Kish
2009-05-25, 02:13 PM
I still think the comic is resolving itself so that

Belkar replaces Xykon as a lich. The phylactery becomes Belkar's, maybe...?
All other considerations aside, liches are in the world. (And this is apparently very important to Xykon.)

Ancalagon
2009-05-25, 02:17 PM
As said above, Belkar can't become a lich due to the slight handicap of not being a spellcaster. (OK, technically he IS a spellcaster, but his Wisdom is so low he can't cast any of his spells!).

Rangers are not counted in the "spellcaster-classes", I guess. At least this would seem to be a abuse. :)

ericgrau
2009-05-25, 02:23 PM
Liches are usually sorcerers or wizards, but they can be any kind of a caster. A lich needs a caster level of 11th or higher. Belkar would have to be an epic ranger at 22nd level to pull that off. Before the end of the year. Not likely.

Either:
1. Belkar already died a metaphorical death when he hallucinated Shojo and stopped being his old genuinely bad self and started being the secretly bad self. Hence the passcode, "Evolve or die." Death was the probably result of his old lifestyle, but instead his old self died. Given the way previous prophecies turned out, this is highly unlikely.
2. He's just plain gonna die soon and be gone forever. Before the end of the year. Comic events since the first prophecy are pushing a year in length, so there's not much room no matter how you slice it.

Hydro Globus
2009-05-25, 02:52 PM
His wisdom mod has a minus even! (-2 I believe)

No way, that's a lot. Remember, a single Owl's Wisdom was enough to get him to cast spells.

Snake-Aes
2009-05-25, 02:56 PM
No way, that's a lot. Remember, a single Owl's Wisdom was enough to get him to cast spells.

A CSW scroll takes wis 14 to use. Belkar stated his wisdom is at penalties. Owl's Wisdom gives 4 wisdom.

If you were to obey rules, Those scrolls wouldn't work.

Hydro Globus
2009-05-25, 03:04 PM
He lied here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html). With 10 Wisdom, he still can't cast anything.

hamishspence
2009-05-25, 03:05 PM
Or, Owl's Wisdom has been replaced in OOTS setting with Improved Owls Wisdom?

Kish
2009-05-25, 03:18 PM
He lied here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html). With 10 Wisdom, he still can't cast anything.

You know, even when it wasn't directly contradicted in the comic, I found it incredible that anyone would argue Belkar could possibly have a Wisdom anywhere near average. The letter of the rules for Owl's Wisdom doesn't override all sanity.