PDA

View Full Version : How tough is V?

ABB
2009-05-24, 09:44 PM
So, V has a dragon thqt must, at a conservative (Ugh!) estimate mass at least 3-4 tons land on it hard enough to break rocks under it.

About half an hour later V gets slammed with at least a ton or two of stone by Xykon.

So, how the Foxtrot does V survive this kind of physical damage? When the dragon landed on it, the impact broke rocks under it. So V must be able to survive impacts that break rock.

I'm not into D&D but I was wondering how tough an elf mage was supposed to be...

yilduz
2009-05-24, 09:49 PM
So, V has a dragon thqt must, at a conservative (Ugh!) estimate mass at least 3-4 tons land on it hard enough to break rocks under it.

About half an hour later V gets slammed with at least a ton or two of stone by Xykon.

So, how the Foxtrot does V survive this kind of physical damage? When the dragon landed on it, the impact broke rocks under it. So V must be able to survive impacts that break rock.

I'm not into D&D but I was wondering how tough an elf mage was supposed to be...

That depends on his/her level and what kind of feats (s)he took.

Claudius Maximus
2009-05-24, 10:13 PM
The dragon slamming V is probably an example of a crush attack. All large enough dragons get them. Thing is, it doesn't really do too much damage (2d8+16, if we're talking about a typical Ancient Black Dragon).

I can only guess how much Xykon's boulder did, since by rights he shouldn't even have been able to lift such a mass.

yilduz
2009-05-24, 10:18 PM
The dragon slamming V is probably an example of a crush attack. All large enough dragons get them. Thing is, it doesn't really do too much damage (2d8+16).

So even at max damage (assuming the wizard has 14 con and rolls average (2.5) HP every level), it's not enough to put a wizard in the negatives at level 8. However, Con is probably third (maybe second, depending on the player) most important thing for a wizard, and by that level it's likely enhanced.

Besides, V is a much higher level than that.

I can only guess how much Xykon's boulder did, since by rights he shouldn't even have been able to lift such a mass.

Well, he's epic and has been pumping out magical items like crazy. He probably has something that has his strength through the roof.

Claudius Maximus
2009-05-24, 10:42 PM
Normal magic items cap off at +6 strength, and epic magic items become fantastically expensive, and I doubt Xykon would put very much time and money into a stat he should really ignore. I would put Xykon's strength at 20, tops, and likely lower. He would certainly not be able to lift that much. I think what he did in 653 was one of those instances where Rich threw the rules out the window in favor of awesomeness. I for one agree with his decision.

Starscream
2009-05-24, 10:55 PM
Hmmm, I have a question.

We know Xykon was quite an old man when he was transformed. He mentioned feeling much more limber after the process was complete, even though becoming a lich does not affect your physical ability scores (other than removing your constitution).

Is is possible that becoming skeletal removed the penalties to strength and dexterity he had accumulated due to age?

Frog Dragon
2009-05-24, 11:03 PM
Well it should at least.

Claudius Maximus
2009-05-24, 11:18 PM
Hmmm, I have a question.

We know Xykon was quite an old man when he was transformed. He mentioned feeling much more limber after the process was complete, even though becoming a lich does not affect your physical ability scores (other than removing your constitution).

Is is possible that becoming skeletal removed the penalties to strength and dexterity he had accumulated due to age?

By RAW I'm pretty sure no, but it's entirely reasonable and easily justified. I mean, is his skeleton somehow powered by less unholy strength since it's old? Then why wouldn't liches weaken over time? Etc.

I assumed he didn't have aging penalties when I guessed his strength was <21, by the way. I really should get SoD/pay more attention...

Chronos
2009-05-25, 12:40 PM
We know Xykon was quite an old man when he was transformed. He mentioned feeling much more limber after the process was complete, even though becoming a lich does not affect your physical ability scores (other than removing your constitution).I believe his quote was "Suck it, arthritis". I would imagine that arthritis is what's represented in game terms by the -6 to Dex from aging, so presumably he's lost that, and thus also presumably the -6 to Str.

ericgrau
2009-05-25, 02:28 PM
crush attacks, slam attacks, etc. don't tend to do more than 20ish damage. Unless you use cheese and try to apply the falling object damage rules to creature attacks. But I don't the comic would do so and it's reasonable for V to survive, even with her meager hitpoint total.

shadzar
2009-05-25, 02:43 PM
A common housecat/kitten can kill a wizard in D&D.

V has plot armor to protect against instant death from epic wall weaponry and crushing blow deaths. Meaning V needed to live to further the story, otherwise Xykon should probably be carrying a corpse.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-25, 02:51 PM
I agree with Chronos about ageing penalties. It was estimated in the stats thread that Xykon has high Str due to his ability to carry 2 Goblins and an Elf zombie when flying after the first gate is destroyed, and his ability to kill Fyron with a small trophy, which was seen as an improvised light mace, is taken as more evidence to support this.

ABB
2009-05-25, 05:35 PM
Well, as to X's physical penalties, maybe when he regenerated from the phylactery he regenerated as a "young" skeleton...

As to strength, maybe the flight spell lowers the effective weight of things he carries, or the flight spell actually lifts the items he grabs.

Hell, I'm not into D&D, I prefer traveller. It's a real tribute to rich that I like OOTS so much. Seriously.

Moriarty
2009-05-25, 05:40 PM
it's also been discussed that the wall might not be made of stone.

A solid stone wall wouldn't have been destroyed by Vs chain lightning, so it has to be made out of something thinner or lighter. also note that Xykons tower looks somewhat "grown" and we have evidence of Xykon constructing that tower via magic.

shadzar
2009-05-25, 05:47 PM
Is that ????'s Instant Fortres still a part of 3rd and if so where is it listed cause it might have been able to partially fall and remain standing for Xykon to summon.

I doubt they were in Leomund's Tiny Hut.

Swordster
2009-05-25, 06:11 PM
It's not unusual for OotS characters to have stats that are unusual/interesting/not optimized. Roy has decent mental scores, O-Chul is a paladin with no Charaisma, etc. It's not unreasonable that Xykon just has a high Strength score.

That said,
in his speech at the end of SoD, Xykon says that all that matters is "force...and style". I can see him casting Telekinesis, and then seeming to carry the rock just cause it looks cool. Not as likely as him just being able to lift it, but possible nonetheless."

Thoven
2009-05-27, 05:32 PM
I thought Xykon didn't really lift the rock but broke it off with a spell and then guided it on it's way down to V letting sweet, sweet gravity do all the whacking work.

(P.S. Pardon me for sounding stupid but why did you add "ugh" after saying conservative?)