PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Star light, star bright...

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-05-25, 10:04 AM
Skywatcher Golem

http://th07.deviantart.com/images3/300W/i/2004/162/4/2/Collab___Ascension.jpg

Large Construct
Hit Dice: 12d10+30 HD (96 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 dex, +16 natural, -1 size), touch 8, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
Attack: Slam +9 melee
Full Attack: 3 slams +9 melee (2d10+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Searing light
Special Qualities: Bend light, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 500 ft., great eye, immunity to magic, low-light vision, skywatcher
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +14
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 30, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Observatory (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 13-18 HD (Large), 19-36 (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

A skywatcher golem is a self-protecting tool devised by mages who wished to be guarded while also observing the sky above. These golems are strange and whimsical creations that many say if they could talk could tell one's future by their continuous searching of the skies.

A skywatcher golem appears in a fanciful form that combines both attributes of beetle and moth, composed of layers of overlapping plates of starmetal rimmed quartz and glass of all sizes, thicknesses and tints. With a single command these plates can swivel and rotate in any direction, many times simultaneously. Within, through the distortion and mingling of light, a chamber can be seen, large enough to hold a medium sized creature.

Combat
A skywatcher golem acts on the commands given it by it's maker, but in the daylight hours uses its focusing properties to shoot beams of concentrated light at those that would harm it. At night, after it has used up any charges, it resorts to blows of it's many swiveling magnifiers.

Bend Light (Ex): A skywatcher golem can mirror the light around it, granting it a +20 bonus to hide checks.

Great Eye (Ex): A skywatcher golem has near perfect vision. It can see a thousand times farther than a human and can examine close up almost to the microscopic level. As such they gain a +50 optical bonus to search and spot checks and a +10 optical bonus to ranged attacks. As well, any being who occupies the chamber within also gains the same check if they command the structure to shape for their own personal view.

Those within can also order it to brighten light levels or dim them, gaining darkvision out to 500 feet and low-light vision. As well, those within cannot be blinded, the structure automatically dimming at a moment's notice. Even the sun itself can be viewed without injury to the viewer.

Finally, a skywatcher golem, and those within it's chamber, has continuous True Seeing as the spell.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A skywatcher golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

Any kind of spell with the light descriptor, or dealing specifically with light, directed at a skywatcher golem, such as searing light, prismatic spray, and similar is absorbed and can be immediately redirected anywhere in range even if it is not the golem's turn. It acts as the original spell in all ways, except the golem is considered the caster. The only exception is that the golem uses it's own attack bonus when such is required.

Searing Light (Ex): While in direct sunlight a skywatcher golem may use Searing Light, as the spell, three times each round, dealing 1d8 points of damage. It may also save up solar energy. For each round it is in direct sunlight, and doesn't use it's searing light, it can build up a charge that deals up to a maximum of 10d8 points if charging for 10 rounds. It may keep this charge in reserve indefinitely while still using it's normal Searing Light. A skywatcher golem applies it's optical bonus to this attack.

At a command from it's maker a skywatcher golem may also direct this light inwards to any being occupying it's inner chamber. When it does this no use of it's ability is expended, immediately reabsorbing the energy within.

Skywatcher (Sp): A skywatcher golem may lift itself, and any being in it's chamber, as the Levitate spell, for up to an hour per caster level of the maker at time of crafting.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Construction

A skywatcher golem’s body is crafted with 2,500 lbs of high-quality quartz crystal and starmetal, smelted with rare tinctures and admixtures costing at least 10,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 20 Craft (armorsmithing) check, a DC 20 Craft (weaponsmithing) check, or a DC 20 Craft (optometry) check.

CL 12th; Craft Construct, geas/quest, levitate, true seeing, caster must be at least 16th level; Price 50,000 gp; Cost 25,500 gp + 2,000 XP.

The Tygre
2009-05-25, 05:43 PM
Why must everything you make drive me to tears in its awesomeness?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-05-25, 09:20 PM
Your tears, they sustain me...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-25, 09:44 PM

While normally true, I was a little disappointed by this one. I envisioned a contemplative, philosophical construct, gazing unblinkingly towards the heavens, stars reflected in eyes of black glass...I may have to go make this now.

That said, I was disappointed only by my own hopes. The creature itself is, as per usual, brilliantly envisioned and brilliantly constructed. Another strong creation from Vorpal Tribble. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-05-25, 10:02 PM
While normally true, I was a little disappointed by this one. I envisioned a contemplative, philosophical construct, gazing unblinkingly towards the heavens, stars reflected in eyes of black glass...I may have to go make this now.

That said, I was disappointed only by my own hopes. The creature itself is, as per usual, brilliantly envisioned and brilliantly constructed. Another strong creation from Vorpal Tribble. :smallbiggrin:
Hey, go for it. This was purposely meant to be mindless for my own uses.

Harperfan7
2009-05-25, 11:44 PM
Would you ever actually use the term "observatory" when describing a group of these things? That's like saying, "Hey, look at the murder of crows!"

MisterSaturnine
2009-05-25, 11:52 PM
I have to say, this is my favorite of your creations. If I were to use it myself, I would give it a modicum of intelligence (say a score of 3), but that's my own personal taste (mostly because I find it inexplicably adorable).

Great job!

jagadaishio
2009-05-26, 08:18 PM
On the topic of the searing light attack, if it saves up solar energy for multiple rounds, are all three attacks at the adjusted power or are the two after the first at its normal 1d8 damage? i.e. does the first attack after charging fully expend its stored energy or does it remain charged for the duration of its turn?

Aside from that clarification, bravo. I can see nothing that I would actually rework in it. A great job as always.

Stycotl
2009-05-26, 11:34 PM
i'm wondering about jagadaisho's question as well. also, you might want to give an ac bonus to whoever is sitting inside the little cockpit–or just tell how this thing works with the concealment and cover rules or something.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-05-30, 09:26 PM
On the topic of the searing light attack, if it saves up solar energy for multiple rounds, are all three attacks at the adjusted power or are the two after the first at its normal 1d8 damage? i.e. does the first attack after charging fully expend its stored energy or does it remain charged for the duration of its turn?.
Just one attack at the adjusted, and the other 2 are just 1d8.

also, you might want to give an ac bonus to whoever is sitting inside the little cockpit–or just tell how this thing works with the concealment and cover rules or something.
Basically you are swallowed whole. Only vaguely can anything be seen inside.