PDA

View Full Version : Get down! You are nothing! You are worthless!

Dhavaer
2006-07-30, 10:41 PM
Shatter Ego
Enchantment [Mind-affecting]
Level: Brd 5, Sor/Wis 6
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Components: V
Range: Caster's reach
Target: 1 creature of the same type as the caster
Duration: Concentration, max 1 round/2 levels
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell resistance: Yes

The caster verbally abuses and demeans the target as the spell makes their psyche vulnerable, causing massive psychological damage.
The target is stunned for the duration of the spell. The caster must remain within reach of the target and continue to abuse them to the exclusion of everything else (a full round action to maintain the spell).
Each round the target must make a Will save or suffer 1d3 Charisma damage. A successful save prevents the damage for that round, but does not end the spell.

Baerdog7
2006-07-30, 11:10 PM
Awsome spell, Dhavaer. It looks like an arcane variant of Ego Whip, which is a really solid psionic power. I'm having a tough time finding something to critique.

-Baerdog7

Dhavaer
2006-07-30, 11:12 PM
The main thing I'm concerned about is balance, I thought it might be too powerful for its level.

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-30, 11:13 PM
Change the 1d4 Cha damage to 1d3 cha damage, and I think you're set.

Dhavaer
2006-07-30, 11:27 PM
Changed.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-07-31, 08:36 AM
Nice stuff. Very dominant. ;D

Casting this spell within the standard 5 foot reach of medium creatures is likely to provoke plenty of Attacks of Opportunity though, yeah?

Dhavaer
2006-07-31, 04:17 PM
Yes, many AoOs. Best done when there's only one enemy, with a low Will Save.

jdrich
2006-07-31, 06:25 PM
I feel that this spell is pretty imbalanced. At 12th level, it will last for 6 rounds and do 9 charisma damage.

You list the range as reach, but then maintain that the caster must stay within 5'.

It seems very unpolished and a bit overpowered. A rogue with UMD could read this scroll and take out the BBEG or the party's main fighter for 5 rounds, possibly killing him.

Compare this to Eyebite, which is a BBEG staple.

Dhavaer
2006-07-31, 06:51 PM
The range was originally 5 feet, I didn't catch that.

Eyebite has range, a much longer duration, can make the targets helpless, affects multiple targets, takes only a move action to use each round and isn't mind affecting.
On the downside, its power is limited by the opponents HD.

I'd say that tradeoff is definately in Eyebite's favour, if the comparison can be made at all.

jdrich
2006-07-31, 07:49 PM
Eyebite is a 6th level spell cast by an 11th level caster. It can be used 4 times at 12th level, and against anyone of 10th level or higher it does very little.

Your spell will outright kill your average barbarian. It also can take them out of the picture for 12 rounds. It is very easily abused.

I just don't understand the theme, I guess.

Dhavaer
2006-07-31, 07:53 PM
Taking someone out of the fight for half your caster level in rounds, maybe longer, is a pretty good effect, but when you have to stay within five feet and do absolutely nothing else, it's very, very limited use.
If you're fighting a single opponent with a low will save and no more reach than you, it's great. Any other time, it'll get you killed.