PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia III - Recruitment Thread

Kyouhen
2009-05-25, 03:03 PM
Paranoia III

Welcome troubleshooters, to the Paranoia III Recruitment Centre! Here you will find the information Friend Computer has graciously decided to share with you regarding the workings of this game.

Our friend The Computer is very upset. There are mutants and communists and secret societies trying to ruin all of Friend Computer's hard work! If you wish to help reveal these traitors and bring them to justice, sign up here! Remember, not turning in a traitor is treason and is punishable by Summary Execution. You wouldn't want that would you?

Narrators: Kyouhen and Selrahc

Teams

Everyone who puts there name here will be assigned to one of five teams. Rejoice! Friend Computer has graciously decided that you will be informed who the other members of your team are! You should thank Friend Computer at the earliest opportunity. Not thanking The Computer is treason. Other (nonfun) games have something similar to teams, but they call them wolves and that's just silly.

Each team will consist of 6 troubleshooters. Your job will be to root out evidence of traitorous activity from other troubleshooters. During the night each team could, potentially, plant evidence on a player so that player would be executed when sufficient evidence (2 pieces) is found. The Computer frowns upon such activity, so if you must engage in this try not to get caught.

Winning
The team you have been assigned to will be granted a victory orange if the number of players not in your team has been reduced to 1.5 times the number of players that are.

Secret Societies

Being a member of a secret society is treason. Try not to be a member of a secret society. Members of a secret society do not know who other members are at the start of the game. Nobody would admit to such treasonous activity. Other (nonfun) games have something similar to secret societies but they call them villagers. The Computer has decided using such a term is inappropriate.

The Computer has graciously decided to share with you the following information about the treasonous secret societies:

Corpore Metal - Computers will replace humans eventually, might as well start as soon as you can. Hates the Frankenstein Destroyers.

Frankenstein Destroyers - Machines are tools. Intelligent machines are dangerous. Break them. Hates Pro Tech.

Pro Tech - Developing new technology will let us improve life for everyone! Hates PURGE.

PURGE - The Computer needs to be destroyed, plain and simple. Hates the FCCC-P

FCCC-P (First Church of Christ Computer-Programmer) - The Computer protects you, so you should serve The Computer willingly and to the best of your abilities. Hates the Humanists.

Humanists - The Computer has clearly gone insane and needs to be brought back under human control. Hates Corpore Metal.

Winning
A secret society could, conceivably, gain a considerable amount of influence by eliminating their main opponent. If there are no remaining members of the secret society you hate, then your society wins!

Mutant Powers

Some people have a treasonous mutant power. The Computer frowns upon the use of mutant powers. If you must use a mutant power, try not to get caught. Other (nonfun) games have something similar to mutant powers which have any number of names. You should thank The Computer for not using such names. Thanking The Computer is mandatory.

Puppeteer - Changes the point of one person of your choice to match yours. (DAY ACTION)

Detect Mutant Power - Can scry the mutant power of another player. (NIGHT ACTION)

Polymorphism - At the start of the game can pick another player. Any scries will return that player's information instead. Does not know what information the other player has. (AUTOMATIC)

Charm - Can convince a player to reveal either their team or secret society to you. A player knows when they have been charmed but not by who. (NIGHT ACTION)

Death Simulation - When killed for any reason only pretends to be dead. After 3 days the player returns to the game. Only works once. (AUTOMATIC)

Absorption - Negates two points against yourself. (AUTOMATIC)

Other Rules

All points must be put in red. Please do not use red font for anything else. If you change your point please cross out the previous point.

Autolynch is at 2 days.

Day phases last 48 hours, nights are 24.

If you are unable to post for any reason please PM myself or Selrahc and we'll work something out for you.

Nobody in their right mind would publicly announce that they are a member of a secret society or have a mutant power. Anyone who does so will immediately gain 1 piece of treasonous evidence against them. Friend Computer has no complaints with making claims as to which team you are on.

Rules are subject to change if anyone spots anything that is unbalanced or needs to be adjusted up until the game starts. If you have any questions feel free to ask. The game starts June 8th.

Player List (30/30)

Hyozo
Recaiden
EagleWiz
billtodamax
happyturtle
The Bookworm
Fleeing Coward
Reinholdt
Catseye2121
Jontom Xire
toasty
Murska
pondshadow
Dirk Kris
Istari
Opeth_Freak
RedScholarGypsy
Aemoh
PirateMonk
Uncle Festy
Lizard Lord
GAThraawn
Mustiado
Shadowcaller
Walter O'Dim
InaVegt
The Bushranger
Trixie
Darkcomet
BRC

Auto-Lynch Fill-in List (1/1)
banthesun

Hyozo
2009-05-25, 07:14 PM
Hyozo-R-NET-prime happily reporting for troubleshooting duty Friend Computer sir!

Recaiden
2009-05-25, 07:19 PM
You know I'm in.

EagleWiz
2009-05-25, 07:21 PM
I am so in.

billtodamax
2009-05-25, 07:33 PM
In as the terminator.

happyturtle
2009-05-25, 07:54 PM
In with explosive runes

The Bookworm
2009-05-25, 07:57 PM
In.....(....)(!)

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-25, 07:59 PM
In.
The wording of the team victory means it is definately almost impossible to achieve. Should be the total number of other players.
Also, I stand by my point that barring alot of manipulation and luck, the team victory condition is pretty much impossible to achieve before a society victory.

Hyozo
2009-05-25, 08:00 PM
BOOM

Hyozo-R-NET-2 walks into the room somewhat later. "Friend computer, I have evidence of troubleshooter turtle planting explosives in crowded rooms. I believe she may be a member of Death Leopard. Permission to terminate?

Recaiden
2009-05-25, 08:24 PM
I would recommend it being if the number of total players is equal to or less than 3 times the team, the team wins.

Reinholdt
2009-05-25, 10:45 PM
In because Happiness is Mandatory Citizen. :smallcool:

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-25, 11:08 PM
I would recommend it being if the number of total players is equal to or less than 3 times the team, the team wins.

3 times total might be abit too much in my opinion since that could theoretically end the game after 3 day/nights. I'd push for maybe 2.5 times total number of playes. That'd make it abit more feasible to achieve the team victory before the society victory without making it too likely (earliest possible victory in 4 day/nights with all 6 members alive)

TFT
2009-05-25, 11:18 PM
I think I'll join this one.

Kyouhen
2009-05-26, 12:13 AM
3 times total might be abit too much in my opinion since that could theoretically end the game after 3 day/nights. I'd push for maybe 2.5 times total number of playes. That'd make it abit more feasible to achieve the team victory before the society victory without making it too likely (earliest possible victory in 4 day/nights with all 6 members alive)

Would that have any effect on the odds of choosing the society victory over it? The society victory was intended to be somewhat easier on the grounds that you would have to figure out who's a member of your society and who's a member of your enemy society, then either start bandwagons against the enemy society or convince your teams to help you. The Polymorphism mutants would make this somewhat trickier.

I've added a rule about public role claims. Any claims of being a mutant or a secret society member will count as 1 piece of evidence against you. Claiming both will result in immediate execution.

Note to self: If this works find a way to get a functional clone system in the next one.

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 01:06 AM
Would that have any effect on the odds of choosing the society victory over it? The society victory was intended to be somewhat easier on the grounds that you would have to figure out who's a member of your society and who's a member of your enemy society, then either start bandwagons against the enemy society or convince your teams to help you. The Polymorphism mutants would make this somewhat trickier.

I've added a rule about public role claims. Any claims of being a mutant or a secret society member will count as 1 piece of evidence against you. Claiming both will result in immediate execution.

Note to self: If this works find a way to get a functional clone system in the next one.

I just think the team victory need to be boosted abit to give everyone the choice of trying to attempt it with a realistic chance of achieving it. At the moment, the game's pretty much a lottery on which society wins and the only use of teams is to convince the other members of your team not to lynch or kill one of your society.

Alternatively, you could just make it so that the game doesn't end until a team has won. Of course, this might reduce the importance of society to some players but at least that way, you ensure the game won't be ending too quickly either.

Kyouhen
2009-05-26, 01:17 AM
I just think the team victory need to be boosted abit to give everyone the choice of trying to attempt it with a realistic chance of achieving it. At the moment, the game's pretty much a lottery on which society wins and the only use of teams is to convince the other members of your team not to lynch or kill one of your society.

Alternatively, you could just make it so that the game doesn't end until a team has won. Of course, this might reduce the importance of society to some players but at least that way, you ensure the game won't be ending too quickly either.

Ok, tweaked it so it's a team victory at 2.5 times the number of people in your team instead.

Jontom Xire
2009-05-26, 02:38 AM
Ooh ooh, so IN!!!!

Woot! I love this game. Did I mention I invented it (or at least it's GitP incarnation)?

toasty
2009-05-26, 02:47 AM
This sounds too fun to not join. :D

I'm in.

Murska
2009-05-26, 03:07 AM
I'll join as one of the founding members of Wobblies. :smalltongue:

Fleeing Coward
2009-05-26, 05:09 AM
Ok, tweaked it so it's a team victory at 2.5 times the number of people in your team instead.

I meant 2.5 total, so total other players is equal to or less than 1.5 times the number of players in your team for the victory.

Kyouhen
2009-05-26, 09:46 AM
I meant 2.5 total, so total other players is equal to or less than 1.5 times the number of players in your team for the victory.

Ah, ok then. Fix'd.

Dirk Kris
2009-05-26, 09:54 AM
In, if you'll have me. Sounds interesting.

pondshadow
2009-05-26, 01:49 PM
I think I'll join

Istari
2009-05-26, 03:45 PM
Can I haz join?

Opeth_Freak
2009-05-26, 03:48 PM
Oh mighty Computer, the humble newbie ask for ye blessing, and letting me join this awesome game :smallbiggrin:

RedScholarGypsy
2009-05-26, 05:03 PM
Oh man i so want in. Please?

Aemoh
2009-05-26, 06:14 PM
In, says I.

PirateMonk
2009-05-26, 06:36 PM
In, with the greatest celebration of the wonderful gifts Friend Computer has given us.

Uncle Festy
2009-05-26, 09:04 PM
May I please join?
Thank you, friend Computer!

Lizard Lord
2009-05-27, 02:46 AM
I would like to join this.

GAThraawn
2009-05-27, 03:16 AM
Oooh, pick me, pick me!! I remember trying ages ago to figure out how best to adapt the rules of Paranoia to WW. Lets see how you did...

Jontom Xire
2009-05-27, 05:29 AM
Oooh, pick me, pick me!! I remember trying ages ago to figure out how best to adapt the rules of Paranoia to WW. Lets see how you did...

How much "ages ago"? The first incarnation (this is the third if you look at the title) was years ago. Literally.

The rules change slightly with each different game, but it's essentially the same game, and I know DLD is going to be gutted to miss this one. She sigged a quote from the first incarnation for YEARS!

Kyouhen
2009-05-27, 09:46 AM

Silly GAT, it isn't about adapting the rules, it's about adapting the feeling of knowing anyone can and will backstab you at the most inopportune time. :smalltongue:

Mustiado
2009-05-27, 01:48 PM
... *quietly emerges from a side corridor, holding a large banner over his head, which reads, "I will participate. Also, the Friendly Computer is stupid." He scampers off before the auto turrets can train on him.*

Shadowcaller
2009-05-27, 02:47 PM
I guess I join in.

Walter O'Dim
2009-05-27, 02:48 PM
Paranoia? Sure, I love that game!

InaVegt
2009-05-27, 02:53 PM
*signs up*

GAThraawn
2009-05-27, 03:14 PM
How much "ages ago"? The first incarnation (this is the third if you look at the title) was years ago. Literally.

The rules change slightly with each different game, but it's essentially the same game, and I know DLD is going to be gutted to miss this one. She sigged a quote from the first incarnation for YEARS!

Well, you may claim that to be the case, but how do I know it's true, huh? Hmm? If that was the case, I guess you'd have to assume that I hadn't been aware of the original incarnation of this game, but I don't see why I should trust you about this at all. Who says you have to start with Episode I? Just ask George Lucas.

Silly GAT, it isn't about adapting the rules, it's about adapting the feeling of knowing anyone can and will backstab you at the most inopportune time. :smalltongue:

What?!? No it's not! Stop trying to contradict me, you...you...Communist, you! You know full well that the rules are the most important part of any experience involving the Friend Computer, lest things devolve into anarchy and Communism. I have my eye on you, Comrade...don't you forget it.

Kyouhen
2009-05-27, 03:30 PM
What?!? No it's not! Stop trying to contradict me, you...you...Communist, you! You know full well that the rules are the most important part of any experience involving the Friend Computer, lest things devolve into anarchy and Communism. I have my eye on you, Comrade...don't you forget it.

Are you accusing an ULTRAVIOLET of communism? :smallannoyed:

Hyozo
2009-05-27, 04:34 PM
Well, you may claim that to be the case, but how do I know it's true, huh? Hmm? If that was the case, I guess you'd have to assume that I hadn't been aware of the original incarnation of this game, but I don't see why I should trust you about this at all. Who says you have to start with Episode I? Just ask George Lucas.

or Atreyu...

And what is this speak of rules? Knowledge of rules by non-ultraviolets is treason!

*Fires a red laser at GAThraawn.*
*Rolls a 20*
*Starts to celebrate*
*Remembers that "20s are bad in Paranoia" is one of the few rules red clearance troubleshooters are allowed to know*
*???*
*Dies horribly*

Hyozo-R-NET-3 walks into the room a few minutes later.

Kyouhen
2009-05-27, 11:41 PM
or Atreyu...

And what is this speak of rules? Knowledge of rules by non-ultraviolets is treason!

*Fires a red laser at GAThraawn.*
*Rolls a 20*
*Starts to celebrate*
*Remembers that "20s are bad in Paranoia" is one of the few rules red clearance troubleshooters are allowed to know*
*???*
*Dies horribly*

Hyozo-R-NET-3 walks into the room a few minutes later.

Hyozo-R-NET-3, I grant you full permission to (attempt to) execute GATHraawn again for accusing an ULTRAVIOLET of communism and for disagreeing with the GM. :smalltongue:

The Bushranger
2009-05-28, 01:33 AM
Eh, why not? Count me in.

GAThraawn
2009-05-28, 12:59 PM
Hyozo-R-NET-3, I grant you full permission to (attempt to) execute GATHraawn again for accusing an ULTRAVIOLET of communism and for disagreeing with the GM. :smalltongue:

All I'm prepared to say is that I'm glad Selrahc and I see eye to eye on certain...issues. (evil grin:smallbiggrin:)

Kyouhen
2009-05-28, 01:28 PM
All I'm prepared to say is that I'm glad Selrahc and I see eye to eye on certain...issues. (evil grin:smallbiggrin:)

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Trixie
2009-05-29, 10:59 AM
In. :smallsigh:

Kyouhen
2009-05-29, 11:24 AM
Yay! Only two more!

Selrahc
2009-05-29, 01:55 PM
Wait, what? :smallconfused:

I have no idea what he is talking about. Obviously Ultraviolets wouldn't support treasonous red citizens. I recommend a full crackdown.

*Sends in vulture squadrons to seize certain valuable pre reckoning artifacts while Kyouhen-U-12 tries to capture the traitor.*

Darkcomet
2009-05-29, 02:03 PM

*fails will save*

In.

BRC
2009-05-29, 02:05 PM
Troubleshooter Bee-R-CEE Reporting for duty!

Murska
2009-05-29, 02:06 PM
Troubleshooter Bee-R-CEE Reporting for duty!

He's a bloody red communist! Get him!

Kyouhen
2009-05-29, 03:48 PM

That sign of his is indeed rather suspicious...

And yay for being full! Now taking applications for the Autolynch list if anyone still wants to join. If enough extras join I may add in another mutant power.

BRC
2009-06-05, 11:31 PM
Do you have evidence to back up that accusation, citizen?

For as you know. False accusations of treason, are Treason.

Murska
2009-06-06, 05:28 AM
Evidence has already been provided, found sufficient and measures have been taken.

banthesun
2009-06-06, 05:43 AM
If there's still room citizen Alk-R-PWN-1 will eagerly leap at the chance to serve his good friend the computer

((oops, my first name was censored))

Kyouhen
2009-06-06, 08:09 PM
Role PMs have been sent. I'll put the thread up once the Polymorphing traitors pick who they want to traitorously imitate.

happyturtle
2009-06-10, 07:01 AM
I would like to thank Friend Computer for my team-mates - loyal Citizens all, I am sure! - and humbly ask when he might graciously allow us to begin play.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-10, 09:11 AM
I would like to say that Friend Computer needs to be destroyed but that would apparntly be treason so I won't say it.
At least not out loud.