PDA

View Full Version : Scions vs Spellcasters?

Raenir Salazar
2009-05-25, 03:32 PM
If I have a wizard and someone has a Scion how would the wizard fend off the scion and vice versa? Does Mind Blank work against Scions?

hamishspence
2009-05-25, 03:47 PM
If you are talking about psions, the default rule is spells-psionics transparency- anything that blocks magic blocks comparable psionic powers.

Psions have one divination power capable of punching through Mind Blank with a caster level check- Metafaculty.

(There are monsters and prestige classes with Scion in their name- such as Heroes of Horror's Unholy Scion. But I'm guessing thats not what you mean)

Raenir Salazar
2009-05-25, 07:52 PM
so wall of force would block psionic offensive spells?

Keld Denar
2009-05-25, 07:57 PM
If it requires Line of Effect, then yes. See individual spell for details concerning Line of Effect.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-25, 07:57 PM
so wall of force would block psionic offensive spells?

Generally, yes, though psionic manifesters can get the Burrowing Power metapsionic feat, which allows them to bypass barriers if they make a Psicraft check (in this case, DC 20).

They also have access to teleportation powers (the psionic equivalent of spells), if they want to use them.

But in general...yes, a wall of force would block line of effect just like it does with spells.

sonofzeal
2009-05-25, 08:34 PM
Mind Blank will work against many powers, but not against all (Crystal Shards and Energy Missile, for example). Wall of Force is about as effective against Psions as it is against Wizards.

Raz_Fox
2009-05-25, 09:05 PM
It really depends on which Pantheon and which God we're talking about here. Fending off a Scion of Ares is a lot, lot different than fighting off a Scion of Erzulie. Either way, the best way for a spellcaster to beat off a Scion is to use fatebinding to their advantage, as well as making sure they know Deus ex Machina for if they can't win. Multiple spellcasters allows for interesting magic combos, but an entire Band of Scions covers a lot of bases and can work together very effectively.

Bottom line is that the Scions will probably win, especially if they also have access to the Magic Purview. They're the children of the gods, for crying out loud.

...Wait. Were you asking about D&D? :smalltongue:

Almn
2009-05-27, 11:03 AM
Win. Just win.

Heliomance
2009-05-27, 11:32 AM
Bah. I was gonna do that joke. You did it better than I could have, though.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-27, 11:37 AM
So I was the only one who thought of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm#scions)?

Shame.

Optimystik
2009-05-27, 12:00 PM
So I was the only one who thought of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm#scions)?

Shame.

What happens if you disjoin one of those things? Would it be like disjoining an artifact (except you're bugged by a pissed off ancestor instead of a pissed off deity)?